Sign in to follow this  
Norgrath

I just want to say (Rogue One Spoilers)

The seamless bridge to A New Hope is awesome AF ;)

It was an awesome scene but doesn't make sense when you think about it.

A) They brought Leia into a battlefield?

B) How did C3PO and R2-D2 get about the ship if they were at Yavin when the ship was already at Scarriff.

B) How did C3PO and R2-D2 get about the ship if they were at Yavin when the ship was already at Scarriff.

Those ships didn't leave for scariff until later. At first it was just Rogue One ship there as the rest said no to the operation.

Those ships didn't leave for scariff until later. At first it was just Rogue One ship there as the rest said no to the operation.

Nope, the scene with the two droids takes place as the fighters are launched and Admiral fishface had already left by then.

Admiral fishface might not have had the Tantive IV aboard at that time though, but it is a bit of a loophole.

For me, I instantly felt that the empires planet protecting shield was a piece of technology hey really should've implemented in other places.

Like Endor maybe?

Edited by Majushi

Admiral fishface might not have had the Tantive IV aboard at that time though, but it is a bit of a loophole.

For me, I instantly felt that the empires planet protecting shield was a piece of technology hey really should've implemented in other places.

Like Endor maybe?

Well, there are a couple of factors here.  This world looks much more high profile and heavily trafficked, while Endor was supposed to be a hush hush place with nothing much going on.  Endor did have a shield, just no gate.  Not really a huge problem IMO.

It had a few less massive plot holes and characters doing completely nonsensical things than TFA, but it still had plenty of all of that.  Also Ewoks beating up Storm Troopers again, okay, not Ewoks, but various people armed with sticks.  Why do they wear that armor again?  It seems like people not wearing armor survive blaster bolts just fine (Kylo, the director, etc.) but anyone in armor dies from them.

Mostly it comes down to:

Villains not being as ridiculous as Snoke, Hux and Kylo or as pointless as Phasma.

JJ wasn't directing so you didn't have scenes where actors were overacting to CGI that never got put in, or having completely scene-inappropriate looks on their face like Rey constantly did.

Jyn was likeable and well acted and not a total marysue.

Its also a lot more brutal and shows what an actual war Star Wars is/can be with grenades, bombing runs, explosions and more explosions and then Vader.

Don't forget the scene where the guy used the stormtrooper as a human shield. That was pretty brutal.

Why do they wear that armor again?  It seems like people not wearing armor survive blaster bolts just fine (Kylo, the director, etc.) but anyone in armor dies from them.

See also - Leia getting shot in Jedi.

It's part of what makes Star Wars what it is - it's more along the lines of an old fashioned western or WWII movie ... one shot = insta kill unless the plot requires otherwise. 

Storm trooper armor is made out of cheap plastic that actually causes laser fire to be more effective against the wearer. Additionally it makes them clumsy and poor shots.

Seriously, has no one but me actually watched these movies and figure that out.

tumblr_mve6rsh2pH1s2wio8o4_250.gif

It was certainly not without it's faults, but overall there's a great, enjoyable movie here. 

Cons:

I felt the first 45 minutes or so were very poorly edited and directed. Thankfully the rest of the movie made up for that. 

I wasn't confused by all the location hopping but it was messy and necessary. The scene where Cassian is first introduced and shoots the informant in the back.... completely unnecessary. 

Jyn's childhood scene is OK but could have been a bit more interesting, or shorter. 

K2SO was pretty cool but the humor was quite forced in some parts. 

CGI Tarkin was also pretty cool, but I would have preferred that to be more subdued. Maybe only show him from behind or in reflections. 
Same with Leia, we didn't need to see her face at the end. The hair and clothes were enough. Shoot if from behind, hand her the plans, say a voice line. End Credits. 

There were a few minor plot holes, and realistically the whole bit with Saw Garrera was fairly pointless. It introduced a few characters and the death star but Saw had potential as an interesting story piece. 
I wasn't a huge fan of Chirrut Îmwe though it's good that others like him. I just found the character (and acting) to be a bit annoying. 

Most of the acting was average at best though much better than most Star Wars films. 

Pros:
Everything else. 

All scenes with Vader were amazing. I'm glad we got just the right amount of Vader. It wasn't like TFA Luke, and it wasn't overplayed either. 

Krennic was a solid bad guy. 

Space battles were fantastic. 

I'm glad everyone died. As they should have.

I'm very glad the ending leads directly into A New Hope. As it should. 

I listed a lot of cons but it's important to note that all of those are really very minor. The pacing and editing of the first Act is probably the biggest flaw of the movie, but act 2 and 3 make up for it easily. 
It will be interesting to see if a Directors Cut fixes some of these issues, but overall, we got a very solid movie. 

Oh and side note:

I was talking with a friend (who's the biggest SW fan I know) yesterday. He noted that most of the pacing and editing issues in the first act was due to not having the traditional Star Wars text crawl at the start. I think he's spot on. The text crawl does so much to set the scene (a lot of movies do something like that anyway, like setting the year or whatever). 
So without that text, they had to set the whole scene and introduce the characters in the first act... and it was sloppy. It was a strange decision to not go with the text crawl. 

I was talking with a friend (who's the biggest SW fan I know) yesterday. He noted that most of the pacing and editing issues in the first act was due to not having the traditional Star Wars text crawl at the start. I think he's spot on. The text crawl does so much to set the scene (a lot of movies do something like that anyway, like setting the year or whatever). 

So without that text, they had to set the whole scene and introduce the characters in the first act... and it was sloppy. It was a strange decision to not go with the text crawl. 

That's a really good point.

I liked Bodhi a lot, but we didn't need to check in on him every five minutes at the beginning of the film.  In fact, it might have been best to have his first appearance be in the cells when Kyle Katarn Cassian Andor first sees him.

A simple:

"An Imperial pilot has fled his post from the planet EADU with information regarding a terrible new weapon" line in a beginning crawl could edit out like 10 minutes from some of the more boring parts of the film.  Then after the crawl, we could have a Star Destroyer fly by in orbit of the Rings of Khyfre (or whatever that asteroid planet was called), see Cassian meet with his informant and learn about Jyn's location rather than Bodhi (since we learned about him during the text anyway), then go straight to Jyn on Wobani- maybe, while she's on the Juggernaut and before she gets rescued, we could see her flashback from La'muh, but maybe edited down a little.  After being rescued (by Cassian, K2, and a few Rebel soldiers) Jyn and the gang get briefed aboard Cassian's ship by Mon Mothma and head straight to Jedha (which we don't see until their arrival).

I think that would drastically improve the first Act pacing.  All that planet hopping was pretty unnecessary.  In this version, it's just: Rings- Wobani/ La'muh- Jedha- Eadu- Yavin IV- Scarif, rather than La'muh- Wobain- Rings - Jedha- Wobani- Yavin IV (My god, we're still in like the first 10 minutes...) 

Edited by subtrendy

I don't think it was a question of nostalgia, which I think they over did, in all honesty. My girlfriend watched it with me and didn't get half the enjoyment I did out of the film, mainly because of the geeky references. That suggests to me it was too much aimed at the fanboys as it was, and not enough made as a big audience crowd pleaser, which has always been SW at its best.

I reckon the reason they didn't go for an opening crawl, and I think this is a decent reason, is to highlight that this is not one of the main sequence of films. It's not Episode III.v, it's its own thing. Hence why they decided to distance it in the way the film opens, to show this is a different style of Star Wars film. I don't think that's a bad decision, personally.

I don't think it was a question of nostalgia, which I think they over did, in all honesty. My girlfriend watched it with me and didn't get half the enjoyment I did out of the film, mainly because of the geeky references. That suggests to me it was too much aimed at the fanboys as it was, and not enough made as a big audience crowd pleaser, which has always been SW at its best.

I reckon the reason they didn't go for an opening crawl, and I think this is a decent reason, is to highlight that this is not one of the main sequence of films. It's not Episode III.v, it's its own thing. Hence why they decided to distance it in the way the film opens, to show this is a different style of Star Wars film. I don't think that's a bad decision, personally.

Thats the main problem with not having the text crawl and giving a heads up about whats going on... (and saving the slow pace of the beggining).

I disagree, Its Star Wars. They lost (IMO) a fine oportunity to make Star Wars unique by having a text crawl in all films. For me its a trademark (and a good reminder of whats going on - even if its only in the "background" - a fine idea George Lucas had since New Hope).

Edited by Kentares

Most movies do just fine without a text crawl. While using text to set up a movie isn't exclusive to star wars, how the text is done is certainly iconic. I wouldn't mind if they use it for all SW movies but with movies now a global enterprise I can see why they would want to get away from that.

Lucas nicked the crawl from his favorite serial Flash Gordon.  It supposed to represent the serial format that Lucas was driving for.  That being said, I agree it is now an iconic piece of Star Wars.  I don't think it comes off cheesy to use it.  

There are a couple good comparisons between scenes in Force Awakens that are basically reshoots or made to be extremely similar to scenes in the previous movies.  I caught a bunch of that in Rogue One as well without even looking for it.  Apparently they even used scenes cut from from the original trilogy.

I think though the reason that Force Awakens and Rogue One don't get completely trashed is entirely due to fanboyism, because they're both pretty terrible movies if you look at them objectively.  The characters constantly do completely nonsensical garbage that would get eviscerated by a reviewer in a non-superhero/Star Trek/Star Wars movie.  These types of movies are pretty much being treated like children's cartoons by reviewers and massive flaws are being ignored.  If held to the same standard that dramas are, these movies would be lucky to have double digit percentage of positive reviews.