Sign in to follow this  
Bomba101

Rogue One Wave Ideas (Possible Spoilers)

So I just saw Rogue One (loved it, glad to see the Star Wars fan-base mostly love it too.) Rogue One clearly provided LOTS of content for the Original Trilogy time periods, and FFG has already done a few new ships for Armada and X-Wing. 

Its likely Imperial Assault will get a few wave ideas. I don't have statistics or card details, just ideas:

Death Troopers Villain Pack (The Elite soldiers not the zombies)

Director Krennic Villain Pack (They did a wave on Obi-Wan, Greedo, and the Grand Inquisitor, it makes sense.

Saw Gerrera Hero Pack

Any other ideas for mercenary factions are welcome

I'd love for a Death Star campaign where you might visit some R1 locations like Jedha, Eadu, and even the Death Star itself (supplemented with core map tiles) and Scarif (new map tiles).  Could make for an interesting campaign where the Death Star has to power up, which could affect mission time limits.  For instance, if the DS was fired last mission on Turn 6 for an Imperial victory, it would require more time to charge for the next mission, unless the Imperials try to win using other means (probably wounding).

This could be an issue with continuity (since the heroes would die)- so maybe the campaign actually would require the drawing of new heroes in the event of a Death Star victory.  Or, alternatively, a DS victory could have post mission text featuring the heroes scrambling aboard a ship seconds before the blast.

As far as units go- Deathtroopers (Imperial)

Shoretroopers (Imperial)

Heroes- A rebel pilot with the ability to calling in bombing runs

A Dathomiri assassin

A Duros hacker

Death Troopers Villain Pack (The Elite soldiers not the zombies)

Scarab Troopers

KX-series Security Droids (the series that K-2SO comes from)

Saw Gerrera Hero Pack

And the rest of the Heroes! (Jyn, Baze, Chirrut, K-2SO, Bohdi, etc)

Death troopers, unique rebel commandos with awesome weapons, new heros, sabateur missions, etc... would love to see this in IA.

I am one with the force and the force is with me... ;)

As I was watching it, I was already envisioning IA mission scenarios, where your group of heroes has to secure a comm station or slow the advance of an AT-AT, or take over another landing platform, or destroy a TIE Fighter hanger at Eadu before the X-Wings arrive...or....  This movie was SO thick with possibilities!

And great new characters too!

The Imperial troops for sure.  Definitely want a Krennic!

Also the KX droid...I want the hero version for skirmish.

All of the heroes: Jyn, Cassian, Baze, etc.  

So, yeah...I think this movie has "big box expansion" written all over it, if not "multiple expansions"....

They could flesh out the merc faction with Saw and his crew as they were more extremists than Rebels. Rebel faction with the obvious main character Rebels and then Death Troopers/Krennic make good imperial faction characters.

Lots of potential here, I definitely see some Rogue One blister packs in the future. Hopefully this next wave brings us Yoda, Rogue 1 and another Rebels character that would be sweet.

Just tossing some ideas around.  These assuredly aren't close to being balanced yet.

Death Trooopers (Regular)

Cost- 10 threat

2 figure deplotment

Defense- bb

attack- BYR

Health- 8

Surges- +2 Damage, +1 Damage, Weaken

Abilities

ActionAction: Thermal Detonator- Choose a spot within three spaces.  Roll a red die.  Deal the resulting damage to each figure on or adjacent to that spot.  As an additional cost, all figures in this deployment group become stunned after this action.

ActionAction: TIE Striker Strafing Run- Choose a space on any exterior tile, then choose a direction (North/ South or East/West).  Then roll 1 red die.  Deal damage equal to the results on the chosen space and all exterior spaces on the chosen direction in a straight line, up until the path hits a wall.  As an additional cost, all figures in this deployment group become stunned after this action

Man, that's a lot of text on these cards- I love both abilities, but there's probably a better way to cut it down a little. 

Shore Troopers (regular)

Cost: 6 Threat

3 Figure Deployment

Defense- B

Attack- GY

Health- 3

Surges- +1 Damage, +2 accuracy

Abilities: Feet Wet- Difficult terrain does not require additional movement points.

Amphibious training- When defending in difficult terrain, apply +1 damage block or +1 surge protection.

Edited by subtrendy

There is a fair amount I want for Imperial Assault from Rogue One, primarily on the Rebel side of things. My top choices for characters to appear in IA are:

1a. Chirrut Imwe

1b. Baze Malbus (can't have Chirrut without Baze or vice-versa)

2. K-2SO

3. Saw Gerrera

4. Whoever those Imperial guys are that Jyn stole the uniform from.

5. Director Krennic

That's the top tier for me. Anyone else I could take or leave, but I really want those ones.

Death or shadow troopers should make it soon. Most likely with Endor.

An independant wave featuring Jyn, Cassian and Krennic could also be done, but I don't think we need more of the movie heroes. 

Not entirely related to rogue one, but I'd love to see a cheaper, yet still strong Darth Vader. One to show his prowess from that hallway scene, perhaps?

Until we know more about Deathtroopers, I'd just make them elite only (I hate it when they make an elite corps, have regular deployments... I.E. royal guards) and basically elite royal guards but with guns and different surges.

Baze (as much as it doesnt make sense for him to be a rebel) would  have a multi-kill abilitly. Something like "->->: perform an attack. If this attack defeats a figure, you may perform another attack. Continue until you fail to defeat a figure." To balance he'd have poor accuracy.

Chirrut (as much as it doesnt make sense for him to be a rebel again) could have a skill that for 1 round he rolls auto-dodges but at the end of the round gets defeated.

If anything, they need to buff AT-STs... notice how when one showed up people actually RAN!

The K-250 droids I imagine being a more durable melee version of probe droids. Notice how the ones we saw in the movie never had guns. Makes me think they are meant for pacification and not killing.

Until we know more about Deathtroopers, I'd just make them elite only (I hate it when they make an elite corps, have regular deployments... I.E. royal guards) and basically elite royal guards but with guns and different surges.

The way I see it is that deployment groups like RoGu are certainly prestigious, but even within their ranks there is organization of power- i.e. elites and regulars.

I don't expect we'll see the heroes appearing since a lot of them are blatantly borrowed from Imperial Assault. Jyn = Jyn, Chirrut = Diala, Baze = Biv, Bodhi = Saska, Cassian = Mak, K2SO = MHD. Yes these are just archetypes and Rogue One is not at fault for using them, but they've already been filled in the game.

Probably will see death troopers , maybe that brain squid thing as a creature in mercs that will be a strain engine.

Likely Death Troopers 

The K-250 droids are also ideal as miniatures. 

While they likely wouldn't use the  actually characters, they might have Guardians of the Whills as force users for the Rebels as a 2 person card. Might also have a military director for the imperials as well. For Scum we could see Extremists I guess. 

Edited by EpicBubbleSA

I don't expect we'll see the heroes appearing since a lot of them are blatantly borrowed from Imperial Assault. Jyn = Jyn, Chirrut = Diala, Baze = Biv, Bodhi = Saska, Cassian = Mak, K2SO = MHD. Yes these are just archetypes and Rogue One is not at fault for using them, but they've already been filled in the game.

Probably will see death troopers , maybe that brain squid thing as a creature in mercs that will be a strain engine.

Agreed. The Film Theorist's surprisingly convincing Rogue One/ Knights of Ren theory probably can simply be attributed to the fact that the Rogue One cast fit these Star Wars archetypes pretty well.  I mean, if you were going to use the Imperial Assault heroes for that, it wouldn't be too hard to fill, either:

The Rogue- Jyn/ Onar/ Shyla/ Vinto

The Heavy- Gaarkhan/ Biv

The Sniper- Mak/ Loku

The Monk- Diala

The Armory- Saska/ Fenn/ Gideon/ Mak

Also, @EpicBubbleSA, I think K2 droids would be a great way to get more droids into the Empire.  And I absolutely love the idea of using Rebel Extremists for scum, at least in Skirmish.  Not real sure how they'd work in campaign, though.

Edited by subtrendy

Spoilers for Rogue One below...

So, I was totally blown away by the final scenes in Rogue One where we see Vader absolutely slaughter entire squads of Rebel Troopers. It made me hopeful that FFG might take the opportunity of a future Rogue One expansion to rework Vader into a more imposing and playable piece.

However, seeing him take down so many troopers without breaking a sweat also made me think that the current IA incarnation doesn't adequately reflect the monster we've just seen - especially how ineffective the troopers were. I mean, those guys had time to get into position (Focus), weren't moving before attacking (plus one damage), and they didn't leave a mark on him.

So I would propose actually increasing Vader's cost, but increasing his abilities even more to bring his value in line with his cost. Something like this:

Darth Vader

Brutal Sith Lord

Cost 20

~ +2 Damage

~ Pierce 3

--> Brutality: Perform 2 attacks. Each attack must have a different target.

--> Force Choke: Choose a hostile figure in your line of sight. That figure suffers 2 damage and 1 strain.

Implacable: Discard all harmful conditions at the start of your activation.

Force Hold: At the end of your activation you may choose up to 3 hostile non-Force User figures within your line of sight. Those figures may not voluntarily exit their space, perform an attack or --> until the end of your next activation.

Intimidate: Apply +1 evade when defending against a hostile figure of figure cost 4 or less.

Vicious Deflection: After a ranged attack targeting you has resolved, choose a hostile figure within your line of sight. Roll one Red die. That figure suffers damage equal to the damage results.

Foresight: While defending, you may reroll 1 defence die.

Health: 20

Speed: 4

Defence: Black Black

Offence: Red Red Yellow

So, is it too much? Or does it make Vader into the terrifying centrepiece he should be?

If Vader`s Force Choke was a surge ability the could be used multiple times, I think that would be sweet, but im new to the game

It's an action, but it pairs nicely with Brutality  :P

I was thinking brutality was two actions for some stupid reason lol

If Vader`s Force Choke was a surge ability the could be used multiple times, I think that would be sweet, but im new to the game

It's an action, but it pairs nicely with Brutality  :P

I was thinking brutality was two actions for some stupid reason lol

Nope, just two attacks for a single action.  Force choke can be used with it because it's not an attack- it's just a damage/strain dealing action.  You couldn't, for example, use Brutality, then use a regular attack.