Sign in to follow this  
Corellian Corvette

Rouge One best Star wars movie

I still prefer episode 4, 5, 6, and 1 more than Rogue One, but I did like Rogue One A LOT MORE than episode VII.

EDIT: Was disappointed they didn't have the rolling text and ship fly-by at the beginning. Maybe they save that for episode

Edited by Thraug

I really enjoyed Rouge One I would say it's in my top 3 of the 7 Star Wars films since I enjoy ALL 7 Star Wars films.

I also liked the space battle at the end and I want the Rebel Flagship and Mel if you're reading this please make it soon.

I was also surprised at some things as well but I won't go into those right now.

The only thing I didn't like about the movie was seeing that Gold Plated droid.

Michael

The thing that surprised me is that Rogue One made IV even better. It elevated the original... I never saw that coming. The two go together so well I can't wait to watch them back to back. This was some dang good Star Wars. I can't say it is my favorite, but it is one of the best.

It was too chopped up to compete with ESB for me, but it was the real thing. It certainly had some of the best individual scenes of any Star Wars movie to date. The first 15 minutes or so were just so hard to get into though, and then the feeling that huge parts were edited or cut out never really left me. Regardless, it's a legit and welcome addition to Star Wars.

I actually was happy that Jyn and Cassian didn't kiss, because not every pair of main characters has to fall in love. Took my father, who saw A New Hope in the theatres, and we both left the theatre thinking it beat the crap out of Episode 7.

I didn't like the paper Star Destroyers, but meh. Still an awesome space battle.

Edited by Aegis

The thing that surprised me is that Rogue One made IV even better. It elevated the original... I never saw that coming. The two go together so well I can't wait to watch them back to back. This was some dang good Star Wars. I can't say it is my favorite, but it is one of the best.

Yes. This! Rogue One completes Ep4.

Rogue One value adds Ep4. It faithfully retains some of Ep4's idiosyncrasies which help for continuity.

Watching Ep4 after R1 is almost a "must do" event. 

Rogue One is my favorite movie thus far. I love when the good guys know when they have lost and there is nothing to do, like the last few scenes with the Death Star and Vader murdering all those Rebels.

I will say, this movie makes A New Hope feel meh for me. The plans escaped, and the "next scene" is Vader catching the Tantive IV over Tatooine and you know the story. But that means the Death Star is operational for like, a whole 5 days? From the first shot fired, to the destruction of it on Yavin. It seems Rogue One takes place over 3 days with how fast paced the movie is, and ANH definitely only 2 days max, from Luke being a nobody to being an ace star fighter pilot. 

I had hoped the Death Star was around for a little longer, but I guess the keeping a moon sized battle station hidden is hard. 

I've heard all this hype about SW7 as well, now it is pretty much regarded as a mediocre movie at best. I didn't see Rogue One yet, but I hope it will be up to the expectations.

I'd say it feels more "Star Wars" than FA. They did a great job with the atmosphere, decor, and costumes. They really held true to how Lucas produced the OT, but added in the much needed "war effects" to add the tension needed to portray a struggling Rebellion.

It isn't even close to the best Star Wars movie although the space battle is pretty good. The movie is tonally very uneven with too much shaky-cam and claustrophobic close-ups for a Cinemascope aspect film. I noticed the score while watching the movie -- in a bad way. During the reshoots were happening time the talk was of "didn't feel Star Wars." All of the things they changed to make it "feel Star Wars" were quite obvious. I don't think I learned the names of most of the characters. 

Not a bad movie. Not a great one and only begrudgingly can I call it a good one. Last five minutes were probably among the "feel Star Wars" bits but they saved it from being just a mediocre war movie. 

That's the short version. 

The problem I had with Rogue One, and I really like it, is that like any ensemble film the characters are extremely important and the film was kind of light in that department. An ensemble file requires that most of your character development comes from their interactions between each other due to the constraints of screen time. The only characters I think they got that right with were Baze and Chirrut. The development of the other characters seemed to just fall flat and there interactions with each other that didn't seem to quite make sense. (Ex. why would Bodhi leave to let Cassian try to assassinate Galen when it seems like Galen was the only reason he turned; Jyn pulling a full 180 for the rebel cause when they set up her motivation for her to help the Rebels so she could avenge her father or finish his work)

Star Wars has always been a movie about characters set to grand set pieces. The character aspect seemed a little flat to me. But that space battle tho...

Edited by ImpStarDeuces

The problem I had with Rogue One, and I really like it, is that like any ensemble film the characters are extremely important and the film was kind of light in that department. An ensemble file requires that most of your character development comes from their interactions between each other due to the constraints of screen time. The only characters I think they got that right with were Baze and Chirrut. The development of the other characters seemed to just fall flat and there interactions with each other that didn't seem to quite make sense. (Ex. why would Bodhi leave to let Cassian try to assassinate Galen when it seems like Galen was the only reason he turned; Jyn pulling a full 180 for the rebel cause when they set up her motivation for her to help the Rebels so she could avenge her father or finish his work)

Star Wars has always been a movie about characters set to grand set pieces. The character aspect seemed a little flat to me. But that space battle tho...

If you're bothered by character development, look at ANH and Luke. Nobody farm boy who wants to join the Rebellion becomes THE Rebel hero in a single day (maybe 2). He goes from knowing nothing about the force, to meeting Obi-Wan and leaving Tatooine, boards the Death Star, leaves the Death Star, and destroys the Death Star by trusting in the force which he learned about on the 14? hour ride to Alderaan.

ESB and RotJ have better character development because several years pass, which allows the audience to accept that characters can train and learn new skills. Rogue One did have poor character development, but with an ending like that, why bother?

If you're bothered by character development, look at ANH and Luke. Nobody farm boy who wants to join the Rebellion becomes THE Rebel hero in a single day (maybe 2). He goes from knowing nothing about the force, to meeting Obi-Wan and leaving Tatooine, boards the Death Star, leaves the Death Star, and destroys the Death Star by trusting in the force which he learned about on the 14? hour ride to Alderaan.

ESB and RotJ have better character development because several years pass, which allows the audience to accept that characters can train and learn new skills. Rogue One did have poor character development, but with an ending like that, why bother?

All valid points but Rogue is limited by the fact it's one movie. They have to get it right.

All valid points but Rogue is limited by the fact it's one movie. They have to get it right.

The greatest limit for sure is it is just one movie...

SOME MINOR SPOILERS FOLLOW

However, in that time you got a round/short version of why she was what she was. You realise she had lost parents (preferring even to believe that her father is dead than the other "rumours"), her main confidant from 7 (?? Not sure how old young Jyn was) to 16 or so seemingly (from her perspective) cuts her off and abandons her. Judging by the path Saw took (and how the alliance felt about it), you can get an inkling of what she was like as a person as "one of his best fighters". She obviously does no better in life after as she ends up in prison, hiding who she really is out of fear of repercussions/being used against her. So understandably, some guys turn up to help her she has none of it, only seeing the "go free" option as the motivation to help to begin with. When she finds out her father DIDN'T betray her and everyone else, also that Saw also had strong reasons for doing what he did,  suddenly her history can be re-evaluated in her mind and she doesn't look at things from the "everyone is out to get you perspective, only rely on yourself" and can start looking outside of herself...

Still, only one film, so there is indeed only so much you can do... I think other characters (like Cassian) do develop, giving reason for their decisions, or at least intent behind them...

Edited by PedroK

The greatest limit for sure is it is just one movie...

SOME MINOR SPOILERS FOLLOW

However, in that time you got a round/short version of why she was what she was. You realise she had lost parents (preferring even to believe that her father is dead than the other "rumours"), her main confidant from 7 (?? Not sure how old young Jyn was) to 16 or so seemingly (from her perspective) cuts her off and abandons her. Judging by the path Saw took (and how the alliance felt about it), you can get an inkling of what she was like as a person as "one of his best fighters". She obviously does no better in life after as she ends up in prison, hiding who she really is out of fear of repercussions/being used against her. So understandably, some guys turn up to help her she has none of it, only seeing the "go free" option as the motivation to help to begin with. When she finds out her father DIDN'T betray her and everyone else, also that Saw also had strong reasons for doing what he did,  suddenly her history can be re-evaluated in her mind and she doesn't look at things from the "everyone is out to get you perspective, only rely on yourself" and can start looking outside of herself...

Still, only one film, so there is indeed only so much you can do... I think other characters (like Cassian) do develop, giving reason for their decisions, or at least intent behind them...

***** SPOILERS ***** 

That's very ineresting stuff and helps me sort out where I think the movie got things wrong. I think they give that character arc you're talking about short shift and it is a big failing of the movie. Show don't tell. And they spent too much time telling us the things you're talking about instead of letting us really see them. The movie is about or should be about the move from bitterness and resentment and disillusionment and anger to hope. And that is Jyn's path and they really skip over the bitterness and resentment and disillusionment and anger portion of it. 

We don't see her move from idealistic child to orphan to angry and rebellious to be orphaned again and growing disillusioned. Then to redeem both herself and her father by getting to him to get the plans from him. Space battle and plans get beamed to Leia but her copy gets destroyed yet she still makes it back to Yavin in time for the detonation. Happier ending, links to Star Wars, Jyn's story done. Possibility of more original trilogy era stories with new heroine. 

I find Rogue One to be better than the prequels, but not as good as the OT or episode VII. I did like the movie, but not as much as I anticipated I would.

The main weak points imho were a disjointed, somewhat chaotic first half of the movie, rather badly executed character development for the main characters except for Jyn Erso and bad character depth for most of the main characters (we don't know a thing about her 'crew' other than one being a traitor pilot, two of them being some sort of temple guardians one of which for some reason walks around with a huge gun, and we know of the droid only that it was a reprogrammed imperial that somehow has gained the ability to defeate entire squads of Stormtroopers while his imperial counterparts seemingly lack similar combat capabilities.)

The second half of the movie was a lot better imho, though its unfortunate they kept the "stormtroopers are for dying in droves" concept from the original trilogy and actually build on that with waves of seemingly mindless stormtroopers dying trying to exit a bunker. We do see an elite squad in action which actually seems relatively capable until they are required to hit a slow moving/stationary target that mumbles about the force.

I specifically liked the starfighter combat, which was enjoyable to watch and not so lobsided. We see the established Rebel starfighter superiority, but we also see how the Tie-fighters can be quite deadly as well. The end with the main characters getting all killed was good, though they overdid it with the last Jyn Erso and the rebel person who's name I forgot scene on the beach.

All in all I'd rate it a 6.5/10. I enjoyed it, but won't see it a second time anytime soon.

Edit: I think its telling that I can't remember any of the main character names, bar Jyn Erso and Krennic.

Edited by Lord Tareq

Loved Rogue One, every bit. The film gave the Empire teeth again and for me clears any bad memories of Return of the Jedi away.

For me the new Original Trilogy (in chronological order) Rogue One, A New Hope, and The Empire Strikes Back. Instead of actually watching Return of the Jedi i've resolved myself to watching my favorite scenes on youtube such as the space battle and any part in the Emperor's Throne Room.

I personally feel anyone left watching this movie unsatisfied will NEVER be satisfied with a new Star Wars movie.

Edited by Forresto

Loved Rogue One, every bit. The film gave the Empire teeth again and for me clears any bad memories of Return of the Jedi away.

For me the new Original Trilogy (in chronological order) Rogue One, A New Hope, and The Empire Strikes Back. Instead of actually watching Return of the Jedi i've resolved myself to watching my favorite scenes on youtube such as the space battle and any part in the Emperor's Throne Room.

I personally feel anyone left watching this movie unsatisfied will NEVER be satisfied with a new Star Wars movie.

That's some weird and unfounded conclusion. I was satisfied with The Force Awakens. I'm also really looking forward to the Boba Fett movie (though not so much a young Han Solo movie). Rogue One was disappointing to me mostly due to the lack of depth to the characters. I just didn't care much about the main characters since we hardly get to know them.

That's some weird and unfounded conclusion. I was satisfied with The Force Awakens. I'm also really looking forward to the Boba Fett movie (though not so much a young Han Solo movie). Rogue One was disappointing to me mostly due to the lack of depth to the characters. I just didn't care much about the main characters since we hardly get to know them.

Sorry dude. Looking back it does seem like I was referring to you. That was not intentional. No I got into an argument on Facebook today over Rogue One, some guys trying to say it was absolute trash. Probably trolls now that I think about it.