Sign in to follow this  
Corellian Corvette

Rouge One best Star wars movie

I wouldn't call it the best, but I liked it a lot.  Not going to go into specifics to avoid spoilers, but the big thing was that character development needed a lot of work.  The majority of the characters in the main crew  we hardly know anything about even by the end of the movie.  Smallest gripe I had was James Earl Jones sounded too much like himself and not Vader, if that makes sense.  I know certain people have a problem with the CGI characters but I honestly thought they were well done for the most part.

I loved it, second best star wars movie after a new hope. The original trillogy combined still does better than Rogue One by itself, but that's because the Trillogy takes the time to expand upon characters we didn't get that much of a chance to know in Rogue One. It was enough for me, but I know it wasn't enough for others.

I want to go see it again! Just not sure when.

Smallest gripe I had was James Earl Jones sounded too much like himself and not Vader, if that makes sense.

Maybe they wanted to show off that they got the real thing?

CGI characters were more than good enough for me. Could have convinced me if I didn't logically know that Peter Cushing was dead and Carrie Fisher was 30 years older. I'd say the technology is there for making believable faces appear on screen. Just not familiar faces, on an IMAX screen. But give it ten years, and in the Rogue One Special Edition when they upgrade the FX, all the people griping today will suddenly be nostalgic for the effects and will give them more grief for improving the faces.

Also, I have to say it... Rogue One not Rouge One.

Episode 7 did better Calamari

Rogue One did better Star Wars

So much packed into one 5 hour movie! And it was only like 130 minutes long!

I was fine with most of the charature development.

I had finals going into this so I knew basically nothing about this movie besides the official trailers and same for episode 7.

Episode 7 I was like "yes it didn't suck! Disney didn't **** up!".

Rogue I was like "This movie is the best movie of 2016."

Without looking it up, can you remember the name of Donnie Yen's (Blind stick guy) friend?  The guy with the blaster hooked to his pack.  I can't.  Honestly don't remember Donnie Yen's character name.  Or the Imperial defector.  I can't really connect with them besides "Oh, Donnie Yen is awesome like usual!" and "That guys weapon is cool, look at him mow down troopers" and "Those goggles look just like plain shop goggles." I mean, I'm bad with names, but after ep. 7 I remembered all the main characters names.

I liked Rogue one better than ep. 7, mind you.  They both have their ups and downs.

Without looking it up, can you remember the name of Donnie Yen's (Blind stick guy) friend?  The guy with the blaster hooked to his pack.  I can't.  Honestly don't remember Donnie Yen's character name.  Or the Imperial defector.  I can't really connect with them besides "Oh, Donnie Yen is awesome like usual!" and "That guys weapon is cool, look at him mow down troopers" and "Those goggles look just like plain shop goggles." I mean, I'm bad with names, but after ep. 7 I remembered all the main characters names.

I liked Rogue one better than ep. 7, mind you.  They both have their ups and downs.

Keep in mind all new Force Awakens characters had easy one syllable names (Poe, Finn, Rey), whereas Rogue One characters have much more complex names (besides maybe Jyn). I didn't even know how to pronounce them until the movie came out. I see your point though, it's hard to develop all these characters in less than two hours.

Without looking it up, can you remember the name of Donnie Yen's (Blind stick guy) friend? The guy with the blaster hooked to his pack. I can't. Honestly don't remember Donnie Yen's character name. Or the Imperial defector. I can't really connect with them besides "Oh, Donnie Yen is awesome like usual!" and "That guys weapon is cool, look at him mow down troopers" and "Those goggles look just like plain shop goggles." I mean, I'm bad with names, but after ep. 7 I remembered all the main characters names.

I liked Rogue one better than ep. 7, mind you. They both have their ups and downs.

Without looking it up, I believe Donnie Yen was Chirrut Imwe, his buddy I don't remember. Not sure if all of their names are that important to remember for character development as long as you recognize them on screen when they mention their names. I for example didn't remember every single name after watching the whole season of Band of Brothers either. Edited by njbulters

I'll say it again:

Rogue One made Force Awakens seem like a giant steaming pile. The only thing I can think of that was (maybe) better on FA, was the soundtrack and I didn't even enjoy the FA soundtrack.

I think FA tried too hard to force the fact that it was Star Wars down your throat. Rogue One felt natural, and if you knew alot about the history of Star Wars, you got a ton of references.

I think Rogue One edges out RotJ for my Second favourite which is closely behind ESB. TFA can't even hold a candle to Rogue. Vader was kind of weird for me though, not as tall, costume looked cheap and the original actor who played him on screen did a better job I think.

Edited by LordTesla

I actually enjoyed TFA, though it took me a few days to settle on that conclusion (mostly because of thatonedeathscene). I didn't have that sense after Rogue One, as I knew I liked it as soon as it finished. So it has that going for it.

Pantheon-wise, the only film I really dislike was Episode II (just too grating for me). Then Episode I, III, and VI (heresy, I know), all of which I liked very much, despite some distracting elements. My top-shelf favorites in some order are New Hope, ESB, TFA, and Rogue One. And I lean heavily towards Rogue One except...

There's no Han Solo. And somehow I feel like it would be wrong for my favorite Star Wars movie to be one without Han Solo... ;)  

Baze Malbus was Backpack Blaster Guy.

Bodhi Rook was Goggles.

As mentioned above, Donnie Yen is Chirrut Imwe.

Rogue one is bringing out feelings for Star Wars that I haven't had since I was a little kid in the theatre watching ANH (then just called Star Wars) in '77. I'm in the middle of an OT marathon until time to go watch it again tonight.

My comparison for Rogue One to TFA, since I enjoy TFA. 

Rogue One had it's story mostly set for it. We know pretty much what happens, so they were able to enhance the parts of the story we wanted to see, and what we wanted out of it. It's leading in to a story we already love. We know what it all represents.

TFA however, is starting fresh. While I really enjoyed it, I feel like it is for all intents and purposes, an intro movie. There wasn't a ton of character development, and the story wasn't SUPER original. However, I feel like it is setting the stage for an epic new series, which like I said, feels like the point of the movie. They had to try and bring old fans and new fans alike in to the story and universe. It just means I am very excited for the following films, which I hope they knock out of the park. I'm hoping for a great overall story, like we get in the Original Trilogy.

Rogue One was a standalone epic story, TFA is setting the stage. 

I think it is the best "Star Wars" movie by far. I think because it wasn't "The Skywalkers Story" but showing how much everyone else was willing to do and give up for the cause and how much else was going on in the galaxy apart from some scruffy looking urchin learning to wave his lightsabre around.

I enjoyed the Rebels cameos in which I only noticed tonight after seeing it for the 2nd time...

And the quality pewpewpew... loved that something crazy...

Alright, I have more than a second to share my thoughts now. I say ESB remains the best because it still has the best dialogue and flow of any Star Wars movie. Nothing new there. Rogue One doesn't quite have that same claim to fame. K2SO and some of the other supporting characters have some great dialogue and I absolutely love the plot arc. However, the beginning of the movie jumps around a lot to the point that it pulled me out of the movie for a minute. The Leia CGI also left me very disappointed. They could have just used the shot from the back and been fine. The Tarkin CGI I felt was better, and was understandably necessary, but still pulled me out of the movie (even if for no other reason than to say "wow, that's actually not half bad")

That said, it will probably be my personal favorite because it nailed one particular pet peeve I have about Star Wars in general: for a franchise with the word "war" in the title, it sanitizes war far too much. War sucks. The Rebels were finally not the perfect wonderful good guys. Revolutions are messy business, no matter how noble the intentions. This was a full on war movie, with all the brutality that involves. Finally.

The overall feel of the movie was perfect for me. The defining characteristic was desperation. The feeling started slowly as the Rebels realized what they were facing, crescending through the later half other movie, and hit a forte by the end. These Rebels were utterly and totally desperate by the end, which I felt the final Vader scene really drove home (and holy ******* **** Vader!). Each member of the main cast realized they were not going to make it, made peace with it, and did what had to be done for the sake of the larger cause.

Oh, and there was no romantic underplot. In a normal Star Wars movie, Jyn and Cassian would have kissed during their final scene. I was ecstatic they did not. It would have just undermined both characters and served no point.