Sign in to follow this  
That Blasted Samophlange

FFG's TIE Striker accuracy strikes out

Seemes so natural that this long extra pod holds something.

The representation of the Strike is not even NEAR something (be it the movie or this book). That was just some lazy work on the part of FFG.

This could have been a really fast and COOL combination of a interceptor / bomber. What did we get? A ship with a nice new pre-maneuver movement (really nice) with a really slow (not even a STRAIGHT 4) dial.

And again NO crew (like the TIE/SF). And no bombs sure!  FFG must hate the imperial crafts with all heart...

FFG doesnt price on slot anymore.

If they gave it a single bomb slot, i would totally equip every single one with a seismic. Bombs are awesome, the problem is you usually cant get more than 1 craft with them.

21pts for the PS1 guy with the Frame + Seismics would be dope.

Edited by Vineheart01

So the ship has small bomblets which one can argue aren't significant enough to do material damage to a spaceship. also do you want the ship do be more expensive and be a meh bomber?

Uhhh...it disperses proton bombs.  And "orbital mines".  That's...not nothing.  And seems rather specifically designed to be anti-ship.

FFG did seem to miss with its primary armament, too.  4 laser cannons and 2 'heavy laser cannons'.  Should out-shoot at least the TIE Phantom, if not instead having a cannon slot outright for a TIE Interceptor (IE., what it has) level of armament.

The U-Wing came off more-or-less alright, but, yeah, FFG missed big time with this one.  Unless that missing SKU is a 'Rogue One' core set or something like that which brings us a TIE Striker with fancy title or mod that fixes this by making the ship we got merely a 'variant' design...

Edited by xanderf

But as with the pilots from TFA coming later than the films release and Poe needing a PS bump based on his acts, maybe FFG didn't have this info.

To be fair, based on the film, you get NO indication of what the Striker can do and is like aside from 'flies in an atmosphere'. Barely any screen time. So we have no idea what FFG was told about the ship before it had to be designed and printed.

Oh :(

So it should be rather slow (in space), with a bomb and a crew slot, and it wouldn't be unjustified to have either a cannon slot or 4 red dice (4 standard and 2 heavy cannons)

Instead we got a slightly different interceptor, shame.

This is probably a issue with "Lucas film gave us almost nothing to work with, but way more than the TFA core so we should probably be happy with that."

I doubt that they had LESS information than the writers and artists (some guys must paint the artworks in commission for this book)!

As an Imperial player, FFG has been whiffing on our ships for a while now.  I haven't liked any of the new ships in a long time.  Every other ******* scum or terrorist ship can carry crew, but our crewed fighters can't.  Every other faction gets loads of great unique crew and upgrade slots.  We get very little crew and have no unique upgrades.

I'm tired of dealing with the terrorist sympathizers at FFG.  It's time the dev staff were sent to the mines and replaced with some true loyalists.

Had they followed the designs better we probably would have gotten another high-30s costed ship.

4die primary

3 agility

Even more flexible maneuver (title expanded to include 1turns and 2fwd/bank)

Bomb slot

Potential crew slot

Mod would have been Striker specific w/o the 3agi restriction, making it rather difficult to punch through.

Probably more hull. Its actually shockingly bigger than the other TIEs (still smaller than the Bomber excluding the wide wings, so it wouldnt be 6hull)

Edited by Vineheart01

This is probably a issue with "Lucas film gave us almost nothing to work with, but way more than the TFA core so we should probably be happy with that."

I doubt that they had LESS information than the writers and artists (some guys must paint the artworks in commission for this book)!

But maybe the fact that FFG need to play-test stuff means that they are given less info as more people will have access to it. Lucasfilm feeling less comfortable making 40+ people sign NDAs in another company (especially one that previews stuff rather early) compared to like 10+ working on a book that won't be seen till when Lucasfilm says so.

As an Imperial player, FFG has been whiffing on our ships for a while now.  I haven't liked any of the new ships in a long time.  Every other ******* scum or terrorist ship can carry crew, but our crewed fighters can't.  Every other faction gets loads of great unique crew and upgrade slots.  We get very little crew and have no unique upgrades.

I'm tired of dealing with the terrorist sympathizers at FFG.  It's time the dev staff were sent to the mines and replaced with some true loyalists.

pfft

after Imp Vets, you gotta give at least 3 years grace period before ever complaining about anything FFG does

especially after their talk to redo the rules the allow the striker its action step after overlapping with its allerion move

Oh :(

So it should be rather slow (in space), with a bomb and a crew slot, and it wouldn't be unjustified to have either a cannon slot or 4 red dice (4 standard and 2 heavy cannons)

Instead we got a slightly different interceptor, shame.

It's still fixable with a new title - if we get a 'Rogue One' core set or something like that.  Perhaps the Adaptive Aileron + Lightened Frame combo reflects a stripped-down 'fighter' version and we'll get a new title something like...I dunno...

Assault Configuration

TIE Striker only.  Title.

You may not perform red maneuvers, and you gain 1 stress after performing any speed-3 maneuver.  Your upgrade bar gains 1 [bomb] and 1 [cannon] upgrade icons.

I understand the wanting (need) to cash in on the movie release - it is marketing. But, unlike the Hasbro toys where some leeway I can understand. This game needs some semblance of cohesion with what other sources say.

I can understand some ideas, like the SF, the TIE/SK not having crew, but with the bomb rack - and remember we have thermal detonators as a bomb type in game, represented by how the handheld ones look - it should be represented.

I kind of wish that FFG could wait a bit for some things, so they don't come off as completely incorrect.

I guess it means we'll get an aces box with them in now.

pfft

after Imp Vets, you gotta give at least 3 years grace period before ever complaining about anything FFG does

especially after their talk to redo the rules the allow the striker its action step after overlapping with its allerion move

Imperial Vets was good, but lopsided (/x7 is amazing while /D is mediocre).  After that we got the terrible /sf and the meh Striker, neither of which accurately represent the ship they are modeled after.  The thematic disconnect between these ships is a huge dealbreaker for me.

*Looks at tournament results littered with x/7 defenders*

You done?

I understand the wanting (need) to cash in on the movie release - it is marketing. But, unlike the Hasbro toys where some leeway I can understand. This game needs some semblance of cohesion with what other sources say.

I can understand some ideas, like the SF, the TIE/SK not having crew, but with the bomb rack - and remember we have thermal detonators as a bomb type in game, represented by how the handheld ones look - it should be represented.

I kind of wish that FFG could wait a bit for some things, so they don't come off as completely incorrect.

While the knee-jerk reaction is certainly to point fingers at FFG...

...I mean, Lucasfilm/Disney has an entire department of people whose ONLY JOB is to ensure consistency of 'accuracy' across all the various licensees.

The TIE Striker seems a particularly egregious breach of that, given we now have:

- TIE Strikers that are fast and maneuverable with no weapons more substantial than a TIE Interceptor (FFG)

- TIE Strikers with a 360 'turret' gun (Hasbro)

- TIE Strikers with the same main weapons as a TIE Interceptor, alongside a second crew, bombs/mine dispenser, and 'heavy cannons' (Official Visual Guide) that are described as slow and unmaneuverable

It's just...owww.  What the heck is the whole point of having people on the payroll to monitor and provide feedback on what is 'canon' or not if they can whiff this badly...

(I certainly don't envy the wiki writers who try to make heads or tails of this mess...)

While the knee-jerk reaction is certainly to point fingers at FFG...

...I mean, Lucasfilm/Disney has an entire department of people whose ONLY JOB is to ensure consistency of 'accuracy' across all the various licensees.

The TIE Striker seems a particularly egregious breach of that, given we now have:

- TIE Strikers that are fast and maneuverable with no weapons more substantial than a TIE Interceptor (FFG)

- TIE Strikers with a 360 'turret' gun (Hasbro)

- TIE Strikers with the same main weapons as a TIE Interceptor, alongside a second crew, bombs/mine dispenser, and 'heavy cannons' (Official Visual Guide) that are described as slow and unmaneuverable

It's just...owww.  What the heck is the whole point of having people on the payroll to monitor and provide feedback on what is 'canon' or not if they can whiff this badly...

(I certainly don't envy the wiki writers who try to make heads or tails of this mess...)

And people say Legends was inconsistent and that's why they needed to scrap it . . .

Seemes so natural that this long extra pod holds something.

The representation of the Strike is not even NEAR something (be it the movie or this book). That was just some lazy work on the part of FFG.

This could have been a really fast and COOL combination of a interceptor / bomber. What did we get? A ship with a nice new pre-maneuver movement (really nice) with a really slow (not even a STRAIGHT 4) dial.

And again NO crew (like the TIE/SF). And no bombs sure!  FFG must hate the imperial crafts with all heart...

At least the main imperial ship, the ICON of the galactic empire, the ship that's been around since the start of the game...

Is actually good.

You can whine all you like about the Tie Striker 'not following muh canon' (forgetting that giving it a bomb slot it would never use would make it cost more points), but at least the Tie Fighter, unlike the T-65, is actually a good ship.