Sign in to follow this  
Sybreed

Oh well, here's the squadrons preview

Indeed! Lambdas and Gozantis are going to be best friends.

Interesting how the +1 Relay on the Lambda is worth the same points as +2 hull and much better anti-squadron, by the way.

Much Better is Relative though, isnt' it?

On Raw Damage Potential...  The Lambda does 0.75 + 0.75

The VCX does 0.5+0.5+0.5

Its only the ACC possibility for Aces that makes its better, right?

I prefer the Lambda to the VCX. More reliable damage and Relay 2 is great for 15 points. 

VCX having Relay 1 is likely in response to Yavaris, so you have to invest 30 points on top of the 2 squads just to trigger it.

But running 2 of each is going to be so fun with Strategic. This is my favorite keyword out of the entire wave 5 and CC. 

Indeed! Lambdas and Gozantis are going to be best friends.

Interesting how the +1 Relay on the Lambda is worth the same points as +2 hull and much better anti-squadron, by the way.

Much Better is Relative though, isnt' it?

On Raw Damage Potential... The Lambda does 0.75 + 0.75

The VCX does 0.5+0.5+0.5

Its only the ACC possibility for Aces that makes its better, right?

That, and the higher resilience to obstruction.

But mostly the acc, yes... that's quite big in an increasingly ace-heavy meta.

EDIT: As for raw damage, the average output is indeed the same. 3 blues have a higher maximum (12% chance of 3 damage), but also somewhat higher chance of fizzling (12% instead of 6%). Overall, I'd take 3 blues over 2 black any day.

Edited by DiabloAzul

i'm loving the Z-95 and i'm not even a rebel player.  You could field 19 of them.  with up to 6 damage against squads, and 4 damage against ships. 

for 7 points, I really love'em as well. That might make me buy several packs just for that reason

Am I the only one who chuckled a bit as they spent the entire first paragraph trying REALLY HARD to convince us that Armada is 'sharply focused' on capital ships? Yeah, maybe back in Wave 1.   :D

Agreed. IMO wave 6 needs to put the focus back on capital ships. Squadrons got a lot more love than capital ships in wave 3/5 and IMO FFG should put the brake on that.

edit: yay typing on cell phone

Edited by Sybreed

I really love this wave. I actually want to try and run several Decimators, but my absolute favorite addition is that strategic keyword. It's almost tailored made for my Interdictor fleets.

Wonder if Snipe is going to take the TIE Advanced off the table. Only reason to put maybe one on there was to ensure that Soontir or some other fragile ace didn't get popped in a turn or so. Now a couple generic E-Wings can force Soontir to either possibly burn their scatter token or face the possibility of being popped before he even gets a shot off.

I'm trying to think of all the different mischief I could use with Colonel Jendon's ability. If Morna Kee hasn't been activated yet, you could get her to fire, spend a token to reroll, activate and get the token back, fire, and reroll again. Certainly a risky proposition, but that could be a painful broadside into an unshielded section of a ship.

TIE Phantoms I'm a bit less enthused about. They're a bit of a step down from TIE Interceptors with no Counter or Swarm in exchange for 1 hull and 2 red dice against ships. The Cloak function doesn't really increase the defense of it considering how many ships there are with Rogue or Grit that can chase after it. I'd almost think Ciena Ree's ability would be a better fit for a ship that's supposed to disappear from view.

TIE Defenders look like fun. It will be interesting to see if you can buzz Steele to an unshielded side of a ship and get see if he can get get an auto face up card out of the attack. Bonus points of Jendon let's him pull it off twice.

Seems interesting to say the least that you can get E-Wings with Snipe in a expansion pack while the Empire has to pick up CC (not that I'm planning on skipping that anyway). They'll certainly get more use than they do in X-Wing and will be great skirmishers dancing around the outside of the furball.

Z-95s are just plain sexy. Not looking forward to the statistically inevitable triple double from them but at least they're fragile.

Well we definitely didn't learn anything new. Except that TIE/Ds are very underpriced. Also two blacks doesn't make sense there IMO. Why not two red instead for the possible double hit against fighters?

Blacks offer a better chance of hitting fighters than blues.

Blues have a 25% chance of getting crits that are useless against fighters and 25% chance of getting accuracy which is only useful against named squadrons but not if you get too many. In all that's a 50:50 shot of doing actual damage.

Black dice offer a straight 75% chance of hitting with the other 2 being misses.

Red dice have fewer accuracies and only 1 in 8 chance of getting the coveted double hit. Otherwise you have a 50% chance of whiffing the roll or another 1/8 of getting an accuracy. Without Swarm or some similar ability, you're really pressing your luck using reds against fighters when most are more than happy to throw 3-4 blue back at you.

The Defenders dice give it the best chance of getting accuracies to lock down named squadrons and tack on the best chance to do straight damage. Pretty well the best of both worlds in my opinion.