Sign in to follow this  
droz69

Rogue One was AMAZING. New Xwings....Beware Spoilers

Saw the ghost in the background twice in the movie. That was a really nice touch.

New xwing pilots, awesome. Sad I didn't see our favorites wedge or Biggs or Porkins. Though a fat dude did get blown up. Lol

The reuse of Garvin and Dutch from old footage was extremely well done.

Seriously, after watching this, the Xwing needs barrel roll. Lol.

IDK, 200+ TIE FIGHTERs housed by 2 Star Destroyers, a surface base, and the Deathstar itself.

They really dropped the ball on making this space-battle as one-sided as it should've been. It made a complete mockery of the Imperial Navy without explaining how (tactically). And this is BEFORE the bumper-car scene.

Space battle was the low-point for me.

IDK, 200+ TIE FIGHTERs housed by 2 Star Destroyers, a surface base, and the Deathstar itself.

They really dropped the ball on making this space-battle as one-sided as it should've been. It made a complete mockery of the Imperial Navy without explaining how (tactically). And this is BEFORE the bumper-car scene.

Star destroyers have 72 TIE's each, and ships from the surface or Death Star wouldn't have time to scramble anything meaningful in the length of time the battle lasted.

Star destroyers have 72 TIE's each, and ships from the surface or Death Star wouldn't have time to scramble anything meaningful in the length of time the battle lasted.

I give the film an 8/10 even with the cheesy space-battle. Save your koolaid, I have gots my own! :))  Ground battles were impressive however, and very grim.

Yeah, it was a surprise attack remember. Also, a lot of the Rebel fleet did not make it out of there.

I was sad/happy when Red 5 got blown up. Paved the way for Luke to get that call sign. I also really liked the film reuse for Dutch and Garvin.

I actually thought that was really silly. Kinda funny, but I mean, there are X-Wings blowing up all over the place.  It was safe to say that there were going to be some openings in Red Squadron without wuch a blatant callout.

Loved Red and Gold Leader though.

To my knowledge, the TIE capacity of a Star Destroyer has not been officially canonized - same for number of personel. What we have seen is, via rebels, the Star Destroyers have large sections of hollow innards.

My question is, does the new imperial cargo ship, if done the same scale as fighters, likely to be the next imperial epic?

At this point, epic scale ships seems to be a good fit for keeping to the military forces of Rebels and Empire. Hammerhead corvette for the next rebel epic.

@all, it would have been nice to see a more one-sided Space Battle. It seems to be a huge waste of time building these SD if they can't even handle a company of Y-WINGs and a TUGBOAT.

Edited by lazycomet

I would like to add.  Seeing the movie vs what was seen in the trailers, it is very apparent they went through some very extensive reshoots, especially for the ending battle.  I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of extra footage available for this movie that we may be able to get to see on the Blue Ray release

Edited by droz69

@all, it would have been nice to see a more one-sided Space Battle. It seems to be a huge waste of time building these SD if they can't even handle a company of Y-WINGs and a TUGBOAT.

Perhaps you missed the sh1tl0ad of rebel capital ships that those two star destroyers had to deal with? I counted at least 5 frigates, same number of CR-90s, a lot of hammerhead ones, the big new rebel capital ship... and my numbers are quite conservative. All those ships weren't probably just looking pretty. They were firing turbolasers at the destroyers.

Plus I saw X-Wing squadrons attacking the star destroyers' shield generators and blowing them up.

Then, and only then, came the group of Y-wings with ion torpedoes to disable them.

The space battle looks spot on after my 23 years of playing the X-Wing PC simulators. The star destroyers are great at keeping a civilian fleet under control thru fear. But they are not invulnerable against a party of capital ships and bombers doing exactly what is needed to knock them out.

The hammerhead part was just a bit of sadism by the Rebel admiral, even if effective at destroying the shield gate.

Also, as others say, it was a surprise attack. It caught the Empire with their pants down. They weren't expecting an attack. They didn't even have a proper enemy until that day.

Edited by Azrapse

Perhaps you missed the sh1tl0ad of rebel capital ships that those two star destroyers had to deal with? I counted at least 5 frigates, same number of CR-90s, a lot of hammerhead ones, the big new rebel capital ship... and my numbers are quite conservative. All those ships weren't probably just looking pretty. They were firing turbolasers at the destroyers.

Plus I saw X-Wing squadrons attacking the star destroyers' shield generators and blowing them up.

Then, and only then, came the group of Y-wings with ion torpedoes to disable them.

The space battle looks spot on after my 23 years of playing the X-Wing PC simulators. The star destroyers are great at keeping a civilian fleet under control thru fear. But they are not invulnerable against a party of capital ships and bombers doing exactly what is needed to knock them out.

The hammerhead part was just a bit of sadism by the Rebel admiral, even if effective at destroying the shield gate.

Also, as others say, it was a surprise attack. It caught the Empire with their pants down. They weren't expecting an attack. They didn't even have a proper enemy until that day.

the hammerhead bit was ******* brilliant. if they let me do that in armada i'm going to need to downsize my wallet

I think there were 2 Nebulons, 3-4 corellian corvettes, 2-3 dormean gunships (the braha'tok or however you spell it), plus a couple of hammerhead corvettes and GR75 transports. The Mon Cal ship (identified as the Profundity in the visual guide, a MC-75 cruiser) is 1,200 metres in length and appears to be one of the first mon cal ship ever retrofitted for military duty and it's armaments (sourced again from the visual guide) aren't even half that of an ISD. That's not an especially big fleet, honestly, made of mostly small ships that would maybe be able to stand toe-to-toe with one ISD - but two should be wrecking house.

Honestly, going off from pretty much everything ever written about Star Destroyers in the old canon - the two stationed above Scarif should have been able to decimate the rebel fleet. Couple that with the obvious fighter advantage - Red, Blue and Gold squadron,possibly Green squadron too - so 24 x-wings and 24 y-wings tops - against a massive swarm of TIEs (the station's garrison on its own appeared to be at least twice the size of the rebel squadrons, if not way more). Fighting against Star Destoryers was always a delaying action in the games you mention - you needed to hold them off long enough for your fleet to complete its task and jump out. The fact that those are games and a single x-wing could take down an ISD by itself is more an indicator of game mechanics, than of the actual battle capabilities.

What Vader and the Devastator do at the end - that's what a Star Destroyer is. He comes in and in less than a minute wrecks a Nebulon, a couple of corvettes and the Profundity is immobilised and ready to be boarded. The battle shouldn't have been exactly one-sided . . . but from what we saw it was looking like an almost easy rebel victory.

I think there were 2 Nebulons, 3-4 corellian corvettes, 2-3 dormean gunships (the braha'tok or however you spell it), plus a couple of hammerhead corvettes and GR75 transports. The Mon Cal ship (identified as the Profundity in the visual guide, a MC-75 cruiser) is 1,200 metres in length and appears to be one of the first mon cal ship ever retrofitted for military duty and it's armaments (sourced again from the visual guide) aren't even half that of an ISD. That's not an especially big fleet, honestly, made of mostly small ships that would maybe be able to stand toe-to-toe with one ISD - but two should be wrecking house.

Honestly, going off from pretty much everything ever written about Star Destroyers in the old canon - the two stationed above Scarif should have been able to decimate the rebel fleet. Couple that with the obvious fighter advantage - Red, Blue and Gold squadron,possibly Green squadron too - so 24 x-wings and 24 y-wings tops - against a massive swarm of TIEs (the station's garrison on its own appeared to be at least twice the size of the rebel squadrons, if not way more). Fighting against Star Destoryers was always a delaying action in the games you mention - you needed to hold them off long enough for your fleet to complete its task and jump out. The fact that those are games and a single x-wing could take down an ISD by itself is more an indicator of game mechanics, than of the actual battle capabilities.

What Vader and the Devastator do at the end - that's what a Star Destroyer is. He comes in and in less than a minute wrecks a Nebulon, a couple of corvettes and the Profundity is immobilised and ready to be boarded. The battle shouldn't have been exactly one-sided . . . but from what we saw it was looking like an almost easy rebel victory.

Taking Battle of Endor as an example we know from the old canon, that Mon Calamari cruisers can really take a beating from multiple Star Destroyers due to their superior defensive shields. Even though they have less weapon emplacements than a Star Destroyer they are able to stay in the fight for much longer and with assisatnce from Rebel fighters they could even take down a ship of a larger class.

At the Battle of Scarif they had one Mon Calamari cruiser which could reasonably hold its own against one of the ISDs stationed there due to its powerful shields(assuming thats still true). The rest of the fleet can concentrate on the other and from what I've read so far about the Braha'tok gunships those seem like they can pack a really big punch. The large swarm of Tie Fighters is a problem but they also tend to die like flies against shielded Rebel starfighters and flak fire from multiple Rebel cap ships would've surely been able to cut a bunch of them down. Oh and don't forget the Ghost, which alone can probably handle a dozen or so Ties.

I agree that the Devastator is a true display of the firepower of a Star Destroyer but it also did drop out right next to the Rebel fleet at close range while they're in the mists of withdrawing so they were kinda caught off guard.