Sign in to follow this  
BlueMusketeer28

The Problem With an X-Wing Fix

i dont ever see T65s except for Biggs. Biggs does not count when comparing T65s to T70s, as hes not there for an Xwing hes there to be a meatshield. IF he does damage, sweet, if not, oh well.

We saw a lot of Wes purely because torpboats were a thing. Havent seen him ever since deadeye change. Ironic...*cough*

I'm surprised we've not seen him more with X7s around...

i dont ever see T65s except for Biggs. Biggs does not count when comparing T65s to T70s, as hes not there for an Xwing hes there to be a meatshield. IF he does damage, sweet, if not, oh well.

We saw a lot of Wes purely because torpboats were a thing. Havent seen him ever since deadeye change. Ironic...*cough*

I'm surprised we've not seen him more with X7s around...

Since Wes is my main man I'm inclined to answer this .He does ok but whiffs far to often, and is bad at defending. Most players spend their mods against his shot since he will steal them anyway. Problem is he is pricey, and kind of predictable. BB-8 helps a bit but I favor a R3-A2, which defenders more or less ignore, since Janson will lose his k-turn. He needs strong wingmen or a swarm to take advantage of the stripped and stressed enemy ship. Thing is he still won't last long, unless his wingmen are much scarier than him. A trick that doesn't work on more experienced players, because they know Wes is more dangerous. So you need Biggs and now you are all but dedicated to a difficult 3 ship list.

I would prefer something more thematically, like... a Rogue Squadron title where only triggers if you are running with 3 or more T-65 X-Wings. Like the classic trio Luke + Wedge + Biggs. And it could give slots or something else and cut -2 on total cost for each X-Wing. I see lots of imperial ships have titles that cuts total cost, so why not do it with a T-65 X-Wing as well? And don't come tell me because Biggs is too OP, because he is not :P 

I would prefer something more thematically, like... a Rogue Squadron title where only triggers if you are running with 3 or more T-65 X-Wings. Like the classic trio Luke + Wedge + Biggs. And it could give slots or something else and cut -2 on total cost for each X-Wing. I see lots of imperial ships have titles that cuts total cost, so why not do it with a T-65 X-Wing as well? And don't come tell me because Biggs is too OP, because he is not :P

That would be Red not Rogue Squadron

That would be Red not Rogue Squadron

True, lol xD

I know it's not an swing thingf but should the Ewings cost be xcloser to the T70. After all your looking the next genortaion of fighter in their repectibwe time lines. They wouldn't over lap much omne being better at evading and the other better at repositioning. Its just a thought.

I've been saying it needs two mods since IA came out. If that was intended to be a fix for the Xwing, it limits many of the aces,even more since Vectored Thrusters are a thing. Equip 2 mods at a 2 point reduction(to max 0) for each and call it a day. This can make the Xwing very versatile, not really great at anything, but decent at everything.

You can build an R2 PTL arc dodger, a generic torpedo carrier(R2-D6, deadeye, IA, munitions failsafe or chimps and Torps for 28-29 points),an Ace with reposition and IA (or autothrusters for only 2 total points), a tank for only 3 more points(hull and shield, Luke and R2-D2 would love it).

Just adding these for thought. I jotted these down a while ago but never logged on to post, but reading a few replies above reminded me about my Rebel Refit idea. I have yet to be able to play-test these, and haven't applied anything towards math-wing to see if they break any specific pilot (looking at you biggs).

Rebel Refit, Title.

X-Wing only.

-4 points.

You must purchase a torpedo upgrade. When first instructed to remove the torpedo upgrade card, remoove this card instead.

Rogue Squadron, Title.

X-Wing only.

-3 points.

PS 4 or higher.

If the pilot does not have an <Elite> slot, add one. You must purchase an <Elite> upgrade card. During a primary weapon attack, if your target has a lower pilot skill than you add one attack die to your roll. When defending, if the attacker is in your primary firing arc, add one agility die to your roll.

Hardwired R2 Unit, Astromech.

1 point.

When performing a hard bank manuever, you may rotate the ship 90 degrees and place it anywhere along the base. Then assign a stress token to your ship.

I think what makes this all frustrating is that FFG keep creating either expensive droids (M9) that aren't especially amazing, or attempts at thematic cards (Black One) that don't do enough, all the while continuing to give the Scum faction cheap and powerful cards (Zuckuss' card does the same type of thing as M9 but costs 1 point and has no restriction). The IG crew card is precisely the kind of card that the rebels need as a title. On top of that, you have cards that help swarms (eg, Swarm Leader) that are targeted towards imperial ships, where this type of design space would be much better suited to the rebels. It's almost ironic that the rebels have less synergy than the other factions, even when all the films show them communicating and working together. Then you have bounty hunters who are in competition with each other instead helping each other out...

I'm sure we'll see a new pack, hopefully with squadron leaders, by the summer next year.

They both allow a player to force their opponent to re-roll dice....

and?

Not only are they utterly different dice types, but zuckuss stresses the bearer for an offensive benefit and is an entirely different upgrade slot

Not to mention ypu can m9g8 YOUR OWN SHIPS

Which is actually 90% of the actual point of m9g8. It gives miranda predator

Theyre not even remotely similar in application

Edited by ficklegreendice

It's really not that complicated. Am I saying that they're identical? No, but don't tell me that they're not remotely similar while also conceding the point that they affect the game in a similar way and then move the goalposts to 'application'.

And while you're being a **** about it, way to miss the point!

It's really not that complicated. Am I saying that they're identical? No, but don't tell me that they're not remotely similar while also conceding the point that they affect the game in a similar way and then move the goalposts to 'application'.

And while you're being a **** about it, way to miss the point!

how do they affect the game in a similar way?

even when they're forcing the opponent to re-roll dice, they're doing literally the opposite thing

zuckuss improves your damage output, m9g8 reduces theirs

the only way to miss the point is to believe the two are at all comparable just because they re-roll completely different dice

M9G8 or R7 on Tarn, though? M9G8 lets you reroll one attack dice while maintaining the lock for your own use, R7 lets you reroll all attack dice but spends it.

in my experience, tarn gets ignored the vast majority of the time

Plus he only has a 3 dice attack with a focus and is relatively cheap, so his survivability isnt a huge issue as hes not that valuable

So m9g8 imo is vastly more useful

I think what makes this all frustrating is that FFG keep creating either expensive droids (M9) that aren't especially amazing, or attempts at thematic cards (Black One) that don't do enough, all the while continuing to give the Scum faction cheap and powerful cards (Zuckuss' card does the same type of thing as M9 but costs 1 point and has no restriction).

Zuckuss is broken.  M9-G8 is "only" really good.  So, yeah, in addition to having nothing else in common, there's that.

According to FFG's pricing formula, the T-65 and the T-70 are already fixed.  Well... the lowest cost generics, at least.

The stats on a T-65 pre-fix are worth exactly 19 points, and after fix (IA) they are worth exactly 21 points.  You still have to pay for any astromech you equip, so it is extremely likely that the most appropriate "fix" would simply be a more suitable 1 point astromech.  You know, something that can benefit jousters a little bit.

The T-70 is not as efficient as a T-65, paying exactly 1 point for boost, talon roll, PS2, its tech slot, and full price for any astromech you equip.  A generic T-65 with IA is a better jouster than a T-70 with IA.  T-70's do NOT replace T-65's.

The real trouble, however, is Biggs.  The X-Wing named pilots definitely do feel a little weak, maybe by around 1 point.  Unfortunately, I don't think there is any elegant solution for X-Wing named pilots.  There MUST be an errata on Biggs before an elegant fix can be implemented for named pilots.

If you'd like to see how the X-Wing, T-70, or any other ship's stats are priced then check out my thread here.