Sign in to follow this  
Lesseps

The ways of getting money

Is there a way of getting rid of equipment you don't need and have some money instead (i.o.w. - selling items that have cost).

I'm not talking about selling items to other players but about some legal way of selling off items in shops or some other way? I have just basic game so maybe there is something about that in expansions?

KH has a selling location. Another black mark against that expansion gran_risa.gif . With just the base game, Newspaper has what, 3 of 7 encounters that offer you money, that's great odds (given odds in AH in general).

Dam said:

KH has a selling location. Another black mark against that expansion gran_risa.gif . With just the base game, Newspaper has what, 3 of 7 encounters that offer you money, that's great odds (given odds in AH in general).

Pff. Now you're just being silly. I've used that ability like, once, when someone was stranded without money. Time spent selling items at Niel's is time not spent investigating rifts.

Tibs said:

Pff. Now you're just being silly. I've used that ability like, once, when someone was stranded without money. Time spent selling items at Niel's is time not spent investigating rifts.

You mean not having a chance at an Ally in a stable location enfadado.gif ?

That's another thing I've never understood. What's the big deal about having an ally in a stable location? In Kingsport, "stable" doesn't mean "safe." Plus it's only 1 in 14 cards that give an ally. Furthermore, with KH's 11 allies, the ally pool is so large that the chances any given ally is in the game is even less.

I've probably only gotten an ally there like 4 times in all my games. 

Stable means no "a monster appears" or "a gate and a monster appears", risk-reward is weighted toward reward too much. Only checked Harborside from AH wiki, but Thomas Olney encounter appears twice in that deck, so 1 in 7, not 1 in 14 of getting a doomer removed. A doomer effing removed!!! Throw in Darrell (esp. in a game with no Thomas in the pool and poof, good luck Mr. GOO, tough luck about those doomers). Two of Basil Elton and Terrible Old Man encounters in that deck as well. I remember checking those decks once, I think many/most/all? have 1 in 7 shot at an Ally. Also, looking at "Rope and Anchor", what are your unsafe encounters? Getting to buy Clues for $, restoring Stamina or Sanity to max? Worst offerings are lose $3, lose 1 Stamina or delayed + item if current Stamina 3 or less. Those vs removing a doomer?

There is probably a 1 in 7 for each, yeah you're right. However, there are still "monster appears" encounters, or something worded similarly. But what's the cost for Olney anyway? Plus, what are the chances he's even in the deck of 11? I don't know. But these aren't big enough issues to be strikes against Kingsport.

I can back you up on the bizarre nature of the rifts and lack of KH gates, but there aren't any more reasons to avoid it. Innsmouth has both the most broken character (Patrice) and the character who insta-wins a final combat (Roland).

I still think the expansion's more solid than Black Goat. There's no doubt it comes with more cool stuff.

And it's 3:30 am here as I write this, so please excuse any spelling mistakes or apparent hostility. I need sleep a whole bunch.

Tibs said:

There is probably a 1 in 7 for each, yeah you're right. However, there are still "monster appears" encounters, or something worded similarly. But what's the cost for Olney anyway?

Fight -2 check or Lucky Cigarette Case. And actually, it's better if Olney is not in the mix of 11 Allies, then you don't get him, get to remove doomer instead.

Compared with say Prof. Rice (DH, available from Wizard's Hill), same odds of getting him, but you have to add a doomer to get him. And you have the same odds 1 in 7 of getting "a gate and a monster appears", not to mention that Wizard's Hill isn't a cosy little tavern when it comes to the other encounters either. Dark Man offer is probably the only other good one and you just know the Mythos deck will bite you in the ass if you accept gran_risa.gif !

Found two conditional monster encounters in the Central Hill deck. Conditional in that they might not actually result in a monster encounter. And not even in the same location. Nothing in South Shore, Harborside or Kingsport Head. Don't know if I missed any, but looks like two semi-monster encounters possible on the KH board. Two vs free shots at Allies enfadado.gif .

Lesseps said:

Lol guys! I just asked about selling items :)

But our banter is fun. But yes, you're right it's quite off-topic. So:

Without Kingsport, you can sometimes sell items via random shop encounters. With Kingsport, you have that special location, but if you play like me you rarely see it used.

Having to use the items you're stuck with is some of the fun of this game though.

Yeah, well Dam, it does look like Kingsport is a calm vacation spot for the investigators after all. But at least it's much less calm when Atlach-Nacha is threatening it! 

My son and I have only just started playing, but last weekend we both had thugs with copies of the Necronomicon. We're probably not doing spells very well (or not at all to date). Urgent need for cash prompted a cover-to-cover review of the rules looking for info on selling items. Nada.

My son took mercy on me and we invented a house rule that items could be sold in any movement phase if the player rolled a 5-6 on one die.

mykl_c said:

My son took mercy on me and we invented a house rule that items could be sold in any movement phase if the player rolled a 5-6 on one die.

That sounds a bit too generous. Perhaps a house rule that the AH curiosity shoppe can buy back items the same way as the KH one?

I often read about people saying that KH has no unstable encounters. I do have it but have not played it yet. What was the reasoning behind it not having unstable encounters.

My guess is that it was created for people who really like drawing encounter cards.  Also, FFG probably heard people complain about Dunwich being a ghost town, so they were looking for a mechanism that didn't rely on unstable locations to draw investigators to Kingsport. 

I'm with Avec.  Kingsport is definitely for those players who love having Encounters, and would like to be productive without worrying about Gates and monsters (at least for a little while).  This is generally counterproductive to those players who would prefer to ignore Encounters and hurl themselves through Gates in order to win as quickly as possible, likely because with all boards in play, they don't have time to bother with anything else ("Speed Arkham").  In addition, Kingsport's board mechanic is designed to spit more monsters into the game if it is not dealt with by having Encounters.  Again, still counterproductive as those players tend to avoid and ignore any monsters en masse as they are not required to win the game.  And that's where we get "Kingsport Haters" from.

I am not one of those players.  My gaming background comes from roleplaying, not boardgaming, and Arkham Horror is Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu RPG on a board.  My cult and I love Encounters, and spending a few turns in Kingsport is often a nice breather from the chit-clogged chaos that Arkham becomes.  We regularly play Kingsport-only games, and they play a lot differently than Innsmouth- or Dunwich-only games.  One might think that with the only unstable locations being on the base board, the game would devolve back to the far-too-easy wins when one only played with the base game.  But it rarely turns out that way, since Kingsport adds much-needed Gate Bursts, and if you add Lurker or Black Goat Mythos, all the Gate bursts are FOCUSED on those same eleven unstable locations.  95% of the time, you WILL lose a Seal at least once.

Kingsport is also very good at stalling you, either by delaying you, or throwing you across the board (or offworld).  And every turn you aren't having an Encounter there, you risk opening a Rift.  A Rift floating around the Arkham Board will begin to choke your streets with monsters, and, since that's where all the Gates are, present a real threat to your progress.  You will see an acceleratation your Monster Limit, your Outskirts turnover, and your Terror Track, not to mention a few extra Doom Tokens.  Worst case scenario: a catastrophic Kingsport game can tailspin as fast as a bad Yig game.

Plus, I believe every Mythos deck should have the Mistrust Rumor in it.  Glaaki is downright jealous of the amount of stuff you have to lose to pass it.

Does everyone who hates the Kingsport Board have a point?  Of course they do.  But so do I.  It all depends on what you want out of your games.

jgt7771 said:

I'm with Avec.  Kingsport is definitely for those players who love having Encounters, and would like to be productive without worrying about Gates and monsters (at least for a little while).  This is generally counterproductive to those players who would prefer to ignore Encounters and hurl themselves through Gates in order to win as quickly as possible, likely because with all boards in play, they don't have time to bother with anything else ("Speed Arkham").  In addition, Kingsport's board mechanic is designed to spit more monsters into the game if it is not dealt with by having Encounters.  Again, still counterproductive as those players tend to avoid and ignore any monsters en masse as they are not required to win the game.  And that's where we get "Kingsport Haters" from.

This is an interesting point to make as I am finding my group is moving into the Speed Arkham mentality.

We found the base game too challenging, so we have added expansions and rules to bump the difficulty up. We are getting to the point where the difficulty is about where it needs to be...but now we are focusing more and more on game winning moves (ie clues and seals) then in visiting the shops and having encounters.

So some of the fun aspect from that is gone in favor of winning the game. If Kingsport helps with that I might take another look at it.

Stalker0 said:

This is an interesting point to make as I am finding my group is moving into the Speed Arkham mentality.

We found the base game too challenging, so we have added expansions and rules to bump the difficulty up. We are getting to the point where the difficulty is about where it needs to be...but now we are focusing more and more on game winning moves (ie clues and seals) then in visiting the shops and having encounters.

Wait, so base AH was too hard so you ramped up difficulty by adding expansions demonio.gif ? Sounds like my kinda people.

Stalker0 said:

So some of the fun aspect from that is gone in favor of winning the game. If Kingsport helps with that I might take another look at it.

Freaking weirdos, winning = fun gui%C3%B1o.gif . Especially when you have to do your utmost to get said win (hello RAW BGotW Herald aplauso.gif ).

Dam said:

Wait, so base AH was too hard so you ramped up difficulty by adding expansions demonio.gif ? Sounds like my kinda people.

Freaking weirdos, winning = fun gui%C3%B1o.gif . Especially when you have to do your utmost to get said win (hello RAW BGotW Herald aplauso.gif ).

Hehe, whoops. Yes we are gluttons for punishment, and also bad typers!

Tibs said:

That's another thing I've never understood. What's the big deal about having an ally in a stable location? In Kingsport, "stable" doesn't mean "safe." Plus it's only 1 in 14 cards that give an ally. Furthermore, with KH's 11 allies, the ally pool is so large that the chances any given ally is in the game is even less.

I've probably only gotten an ally there like 4 times in all my games. 

It's still a lot easier to get allies in Kingsport than anywhere else (apart from recruiting them at Ma's). Particularly if the photographer is among the investigators, the chances are pretty good. In one game against Atlach-Nacha I managed to get a total of eight allies, four of them from Kingsport. I managed to defeat Atlach-Nacha in final combat, but barely.