Sign in to follow this  
HeirofNagash

Cyber-Daemons?

So, there I was, popping in Doom 3 for a few relaxing hours with a nice straight shooter...and while i play, i am suddenly reminded about what i really loved about the enemies: The mixture of the occult (demons, hello!) and tehcnology (half the demons are cybernetically enhanced as if Hell has had an update in the latest years). Guess what...it is exactly what got me into 40K at the first place. And, given that there are daemon machines in the tabletop as well as possessed servitors in DH, it's not too much of a leap to have augmented daemons.

For me, it sounds like something the Dark Mechanicus, the Logicians or the Phaenonites would do, the latter seeing it as a way similar akin to creating a daemonhost, albeit maybe even a bit safer, as technology can, to a certain extent be controlled. Also, it might grant a daemon a solid foundation in reality, keeping its powers mostly intact but rooting it in our world to avoid warp instability.

It's probably nothing that would be wasted on a Fury or something along these lines. But I can see a Daemonette on a spider-chassis, a Bloodletter with dermal plating and cybernetic limbs...Each Vyletek construct ( as I'd probably call them) would be lovingly crafted and perfectly suited, making every single daemon unique.

Just some random blabber...what do you folks think?

HeirofNagash said:

Just some random blabber...what do you folks think? 

That it's a spanking idea! gran_risa.gif

Though to be fair, Doom 3 has to be one of the most obvious sources of inspiration for a daemonic Dark Heresy adventure, but that shouldn't stop anyone from doing it if they have a neat idea for a horror adventure.

One thing that I find getting in the way of the horror so expertly conveyed through the game though is the fact that a group of players are just that: a group. Part of what made Doom 3 scary (and pretty much any horror game really) was the fact that you're all alone in the dark with some seriously nasty things skulking about. When you have back-up in the form of several mates the situation isn't quite as scary.

If I'd try to implement a Doom 3-esque scenario I'd force the players into situations where they have to split up and at best have some sort of vox communication with eachother (an unreliable vox communication of course that sometimes breaks down at the worst moment imaginable).

As for enemies: well AdMech scientists who have become a little too curious about the power of the warp. The figurehead could be a secret daemon worshipper/ cult member.

Like I said, it's a pretty obvious source of inspiration, but it works. happy.gif

Go to your local gameshop and leaf through Codex: Chaos Marines 3rd ed. If I don't remember completely wrong there was something like "demon possessed space marine" which was like 1/3rd human biomatter, 1/3rd demon and 1/3rd power armor.

Not only the possessed chaos marines too...

Have a good long look at Chaos Obliterators.

Now flip the pages and check out the demon posessed vehicles....

Is it cheesy?  Sure.  Is it really cool if done well?  Yep.   Game-world appropriate?  Yep.

Traitor Legion Predator tank with a demon of Khorne partially manifested inside of it...   PRICELESS!

Waste treatment plant possessed by a Greater Unclean One....   Just WRONG!

I must say I am sceptic to use the mix of human/machines/deamons or whatever they are from codex  space marines. Oliterators are the  weakest of fhose and an obliterator would anyway make garbage of every DH-band I know of. And what a Defiler would do we should not even discuss here.

But some mixture of a regular human, a servitor, tech priest and deamon would make a good opponent I think.

ZillaPrime said:

Waste treatment plant possessed by a Greater Unclean One....   Just WRONG!

Thats genius. Actually you could do some really interesting possessions which are more enemy within than enemy in your face. Lord of Change possessed vox-caster network transmitting seditious rumours in the lower hive, transit tube car possessed by a Juggernaut of Khorne running down maintenance workers, daemonette possessed incense servitors turning the Arch-Deacon's investiture into an orgy.

Could start off with the Acolytes looking for sabateurs before gradually realising that its the ghost in the machine.

Here are some examples of what Zilla Prime was talking about. The first three are deamon engines which seem to be exactly what you mean.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1170229&_requestid=477095

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/bsrotate.htm

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/blightdrone.htm

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/ndp.htm