Sign in to follow this  
Greebwahn

Why Rage?

Hi everyone! 

Theorycraft question for you. Unless you have something like Experimental Interface, why would you use Rage and not PTL? Rage gives you a focus and essentially a target lock, while PTL could do the same for one less stress. Thoughts?

I've run Rage on Keyan Farlander using the E/2 modification, Jan Ors crew, and Advanced Sensors.

AS to Rage, Jan Ors makes the focus token an evade token, perform green to clear 1 stress, leaving Keyan with an evade token , pseudo-focus (His ability to burn stress), and then the 3 rerolls :)

Edited by Innese

Oh yeah I knew about the Tycho power there. I was more confused about situations without Tycho, like the ever-popular raging Chewie, who could have the same action economy with PTL

Rerolls are better than a TL because you can spend them against any target. If the Rage ship is lower PS than the target, you might not be in a position to aquire a TL. Similarly, the target might move out of range/arc. Or your wingman might destroy the TLed ship before you get to fire meaning your TL is wasted. Rerolls are flexible.

Was looking for a good way to use Rage in conjunction with the new Inspiring Recruit, like everyone else.  i love me some Youngster rage swarm, but it is not very practical.  I tried.  I was looking for a good 3 dice ship to bring it and thought of my favorite Soontir.  Now, it isn't tht good for him, but as the Mynocks say "the chassis" is good.  Also, I still have a hard on for Swarm Leader, so how about this:

Gamma Squadron Veteran (19)
Swarm Leader (3)
Inspiring Recruit (1)
Rebel Captive (3)
Lightweight Frame (2)
TIE Shuttle (0)

Royal Guard Pilot (22)
Rage (1)

Royal Guard Pilot (22)
Rage (1)

Royal Guard Pilot (22)
Rage (1)

Total: 97

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

3 points to use, but nothing really worthwhile.  Could bump one guard up to Turr, but I want them to stay in a pack.  I know what you are going to say, SL on a bomber is a waste, but a R1 5 dice with a possible TL isn't nothing.  LF and Rebel Captive keep it alive a little longer while  the guards rotate their rage shots.  Number one rages, then since IR is once per round, two and three evade to fuel the bomber.  Then rotate accordingly until you or they are dead.

Was looking for a good way to use Rage in conjunction with the new Inspiring Recruit, like everyone else.  i love me some Youngster rage swarm, but it is not very practical.  I tried.  I was looking for a good 3 dice ship to bring it and thought of my favorite Soontir.  Now, it isn't tht good for him, but as the Mynocks say "the chassis" is good.  Also, I still have a hard on for Swarm Leader, so how about this:

Gamma Squadron Veteran (19)

Swarm Leader (3)

Inspiring Recruit (1)

Rebel Captive (3)

Lightweight Frame (2)

TIE Shuttle (0)

Royal Guard Pilot (22)

Rage (1)

Royal Guard Pilot (22)

Rage (1)

Royal Guard Pilot (22)

Rage (1)

Total: 97

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

3 points to use, but nothing really worthwhile.  Could bump one guard up to Turr, but I want them to stay in a pack.  I know what you are going to say, SL on a bomber is a waste, but a R1 5 dice with a possible TL isn't nothing.  LF and Rebel Captive keep it alive a little longer while  the guards rotate their rage shots.  Number one rages, then since IR is once per round, two and three evade to fuel the bomber.  Then rotate accordingly until you or they are dead.

Enlighten me how you gonna trigger Swarm Leader if your ceptors got Rage? And if you dont plan to use it why include it?:P

+The bomber is terrible weapon platform, even with swarm leader :P

Rage not only gives you a focus but lets you reroll 3 attack dice. You have to be careful who you put it on and who benefits from stress. In my opinion Ezra is the best candidate for rage. How you load out your Attack Shuttle is key to make him effective, also who is in the rest of your squad. If you have Kyle Katarn on the shuttle and if Ezra sheds both stress before he activates Ezra gets 2 focus before he activates, focus evade if Jan Ors crew is at range 1-3. Reroll 3 attack die, makes TLT more reliable on both shots. Ezra is stressed every turn so he can change 2 focus results to evade results.

Enlighten me how you gonna trigger Swarm Leader if your ceptors got Rage? And if you dont plan to use it why include it? :P

+The bomber is terrible weapon platform, even with swarm leader :P

Three interceptors - one rages, two evade each round.  This is because you can only ue Inspiring recruit to clear double stress once per round (the one who raged) and because Swarm Leader can only take a max of two evades per round (the other two interceptors).

Then you just rotate which interceptors rage and evade.

I agree on the bomber, but the points and slots are there.  Like I said 5 TL red dice is nothing to shake a stick at, and if they do there are still 3 interceptors to deal with.

In my opinion Ezra is the best candidate for rage. How you load out your Attack Shuttle is key to make him effective, also who is in the rest of your squad.

I think Hera works well on Raging Ezra as it allows you to pull reds after you Rage to ensure you can still bring your guns to bear. Without that I find the shuttle's dial can make it difficult to re-engage when it is stressed. Of course that may mean you only get to Rage once but if it is worth it.....

In my opinion Ezra is the best candidate for rage. How you load out your Attack Shuttle is key to make him effective, also who is in the rest of your squad.

I think Hera works well on Raging Ezra as it allows you to pull reds after you Rage to ensure you can still bring your guns to bear. Without that I find the shuttle's dial can make it difficult to re-engage when it is stressed. Of course that may mean you only get to Rage once but if it is worth it.....

With Casian you can rage every turn as long as you have inspiring recruit on him. Keeping Casian alive is going to be the issue.

With Youngster - because Rage is an ACTION type Elite upgrade he can share, whilst Push The Limit isn't.

Other than that - as noted, multiple attacks are good. Rage/Baffle is a cheap combination, good for Quickdraw because it's (a) effective and (b) not so expensive as to stop Quickdraw not being expendable.

With Quickdraw and Electronic Baffle. You get two shots, both with up to 3 rerolled dice, once during the activation and once during combat. In fact, you can have up to FOUR shots with rerolls - but thus far I've only done that, like, twice. But the moment you get ships at R1 in both front and rear arcs... you live that dream.

Yes, QD dies fast when you do this - not the least because he's a high threat. But at PS9 it's near-impossible to prevent it happening at least once, and that once is all you need to lay 6-8 modded dice into Dengar or a party bus or your opponent's high-threat target. Hell, one game he jousted Fenn Rau and laid a Blinded Pilot crit on Fenn during the Activation phase, and destroyed him without fear of retribution in the Combat Phase.

It's also only 31 points. That's dirt-cheap for a guided missile you point at the enemy.

What I REALLY want to do is run it with a Scimitar shuttle that carries Inspiring Recruit and Kylo Ren - that way if they ignore the shuttle I can still Rage once QD's out of shields, and I can lay ISYTDS on whatever might be jousting QD. The other two squadmates are OmegaL and ZetaL with Predator, though Predator is... less than satisfying lately.

Edited by iamfanboy

The other two squadmates are OmegaL and ZetaL with Predator, though Predator is... less than satisfying lately.

By my count, that's 47 points. Why not do more standard builds with them? OL+Juke+Comm Relay and ZL+Wired. Wired is fairly good at doing exactly what Pred would do, plus works on defense. If you could squeeze 2 more points for Weapons Guidance on him, you'd find yourself in even better position.

The other two squadmates are OmegaL and ZetaL with Predator, though Predator is... less than satisfying lately.

By my count, that's 47 points. Why not do more standard builds with them? OL+Juke+Comm Relay and ZL+Wired. Wired is fairly good at doing exactly what Pred would do, plus works on defense. If you could squeeze 2 more points for Weapons Guidance on him, you'd find yourself in even better position.

Wha? Oh, I kinda thought that OmegaL with Juke/Comms went without saying. That all adds up perfectly to 100 points.

Wired is **** though; he's usually dodging lower PS ships and won't trigger it with higher PS ships firing on him, meaning it's "Pay one point: reroll an eyeball when you're attacking." I'd grab a Crackshot for him before I'd reach for Wired.

Hm... Crackshot + Weapons Guidance...

Wired is **** though; he's usually dodging lower PS ships and won't trigger it with higher PS ships firing on him, meaning it's "Pay one point: reroll an eyeball when you're attacking." I'd grab a Crackshot for him before I'd reach for Wired.

Hm... Crackshot + Weapons Guidance...

So lower PS ships don't do damage? Statistical averages say that out of three 3-dice rolls, you'll roll 2 focus. 50/50 to reroll a hit on an attack die, with 37.5% to roll an evade on a green die. Gonna math ya a little right here:

Chance of rolling 1 natural hit on a 3 die red roll is 87.5%. Chance of rolling three blanks is 1.56%. Chance of rolling 3 natural hits is 12.5%. Fairly simple to get those numbers, now it gets a bit more interesting:

The chance of rolling 2 hits naturally is 37.5%. So you have a 50/50 shot of rolling 2 or 3 hits naturally. Pretty good in my opinion, but you have focus and, with WIred, a reroll of a focus result. Any idea what that does to your 3 hit and 2 hit percentage? Well, there's a bunch of numbers that go into it, but essentially, if you focus and you have that setup, you have over 60% to get 3 hits, and another 38% to get 2 hits.

So, Zeta Leader hits extremely consistently and I think Wired is a far better option than Crack Shot which only works once and doesn't do a whole lot against 0 agility ships. Getting a consistent 3 hits will always be to your advantage. Not bad for 23 points either. And that doesn't even take into account the slight advantage you also get on your defense, which Crack Shot doesn't do. Wired may not be good for a lot of ships, but ZL is one that it is extremely worthwhile on.

Zeta Leader works really well with wired and weapons guidance. The combination makes for reliable shots, turn after turn; if you roll a hit, a blank and a focus, spend the focus to convert the blank and reroll the focus, for example. As noted, it's a very nice trick to have up your sleeve when shooting at Ghosts or decimators - Zeta Leader and Omega Ace work nicely as a pair - Zeta Leader flattens the shields then Omega Ace says "have all the criticals".

and PS4-6 is actually a fairly dangerous bracket now, with TIE/x7 defenders like Ryad and Vessery turning up, plus Palpatine's omicron group, IG-88, Assaj Ventress, etc, etc.

Edited by Magnus Grendel