Sign in to follow this  
That One Guy

Rogue One: A New Opportunity for Imperials? (possible Rogue One spoilers)

Alright, first off, I need to get something out of the way. I got this idea today while listening to MatPat's theory about the possible plot for Rogue One. His full video can be found here if you're interested:

For those who don't feel like watching the video, I'll summarize his theory. He asserts that the crew members of Rogue One end up defecting to the Empire and becoming the Knights of Ren. But the voracity of the theory is not what I want to discuss. What i'm interested in is the ramifications of what may happen to this game if his theory proves to be true. You may have noticed that in this game, there seems to be a trend of other factions taking Imperial mechanics. At first, Rebels had Turrets and Imperials had Bombs. And for a good while there was a line in the sand between them. But then Rebels got a way to take bombs, and when scum came around they not only got bombs but got a bunch of interesting ways to drop them. Imperials never got turrets though (though I don't really have a problem with that). Scum also swiped a few pilots from Imperials as well. And I'm sure there are a few other examples in there but it's been a while since I've played and I don't remember what they are.

However, Imperials never seem to swipe anything from anyone else. All other factions can still take turrets (I mean upgrades, not primary weapons), and there are no Imperial Regeneration abilities and likely never will be (and I think I'm fine with that too). But what if the Rogues really do defect? Might we finally see Imperials steal pilots and crew from Rebels? It's just an idea I've been mulling over in my head today. 

Attempted subtle spoiler below, but still don't click if you haven't watched the movie and want to remain spoiler free:

There is literally a 0.0% chance that the Rogue One crew will defect. If the Empire does get access to another faction's gimmicks, it will not be from them.

Edited by DR4CO

The empire has had regen for most of the year now. Sorry you hadn't taken the time to notice.

Yeah actually I haven't gotten caught up since my hiatus. What's the regen card?

Reinforced deflectors. Is the 3 point systems version of that droid Biggs loves. When you take 3 damage, gain a shield.

The empire has had regen for most of the year now. Sorry you hadn't taken the time to notice.

Yeah actually I haven't gotten caught up since my hiatus. What's the regen card?

Reinforced deflectors. Is the 3 point systems version of that droid Biggs loves. When you take 3 damage, gain a shield.

Well, that hardly qualifies as regen...

Well, that hardly qualifies as regen...

R5-P9 is different how? If I drop corran's shields he's gonna immediately recoup one. And the only 2 empire ships that can take it have a single evade die. It's adds 2-3 shields to the life of the ship.

The Lambda and the upcoming Upsilon can only use it. The Deci and Slave 1 are s*** out of luck.

Alright, first off, I need to get something out of the way. I got this idea today while listening to MatPat's theory about the possible plot for Rogue One. His full video can be found here if you're interested:

For those who don't feel like watching the video, I'll summarize his theory. He asserts that the crew members of Rogue One end up defecting to the Empire and becoming the Knights of Ren. But the voracity of the theory is not what I want to discuss. What i'm interested in is the ramifications of what may happen to this game if his theory proves to be true. You may have noticed that in this game, there seems to be a trend of other factions taking Imperial mechanics. At first, Rebels had Turrets and Imperials had Bombs. And for a good while there was a line in the sand between them. But then Rebels got a way to take bombs, and when scum came around they not only got bombs but got a bunch of interesting ways to drop them. Imperials never got turrets though (though I don't really have a problem with that). Scum also swiped a few pilots from Imperials as well. And I'm sure there are a few other examples in there but it's been a while since I've played and I don't remember what they are.

However, Imperials never seem to swipe anything from anyone else. All other factions can still take turrets (I mean upgrades, not primary weapons), and there are no Imperial Regeneration abilities and likely never will be (and I think I'm fine with that too). But what if the Rogues really do defect? Might we finally see Imperials steal pilots and crew from Rebels? It's just an idea I've been mulling over in my head today. 

Coming back to this post after watching the movie is... interesting.

R5-P9 is different how? If I drop corran's shields he's gonna immediately recoup one. And the only 2 empire ships that can take it have a single evade die. It's adds 2-3 shields to the life of the ship.

Because if you run away with R5-P9 you get back to full, Reinforced Deflectors is just soft damage prevention not regen.  That's hugely different and calling it regen is really misleading.

Don't click if you didnt watch the movie:

I said dont click goddamn

MAJOR end movie spoiler

Don't blame me later...

Haha no. They all bite the dust :D So unless Kylo have a way to ressurect people (that would be ultra lame ) that confirms my opinion: all those theories, suck big time.

Edited by Vitalis

Don't click if you didnt watch the movie:

I said dont click goddamn

MAJOR end movie spoiler

Don't blame me later...

Haha no. They all bite the dust :D So unless Kylo have a way to ressurect people (that would be ultra lame ) that confirms my opinion: all those theories, suck big time.

Indeed.

The one thing  Force-awakens related was that I'd forgotten about

the advisor/evil secretary types, and I was wondering if snoke might be one of them. It's a good reason why he might be able to muster the knowledge to be all evil and dark side corrupting without actually being enough of a force user to fling lightning around himself... plus it'd explain how he knew where the Galaxy Gun....sorry, starkiller base....was