CJKeys

Expertise Niches

I've noticed some poo-pooing Expertise. I know at 4 points it is a bit pricey for an EPT, but looking at what it does, is it really that bad?

Places I think Expertise could work

Gunner Han Solo - Expertise kicks off every shot and Han doesn't have to stress from PTL each turn.

Dengar  - Same thing as Han, every shot has focus. 

Corran Horn w/FCS - First action is open to whatever, no stress from a PTL 2nd action your not taking now, dial stays wide open, works on double tap like Marksmanship

New Chewie - Focus on Every shot

Any Fat Turret with Gunner really - See Han and Chewie above

Defenders with the Cannon title - Both shot are focused

Ten Nunb w/Mangler and E-2 - Your almost always guaranteed a crit

Any TLT carrier with an EPT

Just a few places I can see this card being super effective. Your effectively paying a 1 point tax over PTL to have unlimited offensive focus, being able to use your action for something else, and not getting a stress from doing a second action. I think this is a really freaking great card.

Edited by CJKeys

We really domt need more fst turret crap in the game

Except oicuun; dudes chill and sometimes without actions because hes too busy being badass

Problem with expertise really is scum has mindlink and expertise is too expensive to slot on a ship that cant abuse the crap out of it

Played this list yesterday:

Rexler Brath (37)

Expertise (4)

Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

TIE/x7 (-2)

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (46)

Veteran Instincts (1)

Hotshot Co-pilot (4)

Gunner (5)

Engine Upgrade (4)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

It was very nasty - RAC strips tokens from the enemy, reducing their effectiveness. Rexler is free to spend his focus for defense or keep it to trigger his ability without sacrificing offensive power.

Ooo, Brath. Theres an idea.

Brath's issue is he almost ALWAYS has to spend his focus offensively to get hits to begin with. So he almost never gets his ability off. With Expertise, he can get all hits AND still have a focus way more often (especially with someone handing him TLs from somewhere or Coordinate actions)

Personally not sold on hotshpt gunner

Either bounces off of an ARCs mighty 1 agi or off of a mindlinked scum's 3 focus (mindlink + action + manny; did it with xizor and it was utter hilarity)

While the defender whiffs its less than full mods attacks constantly

In my experience anyway

We really domt need more fst turret crap in the game

Except oicuun; dudes chill and sometimes without actions because hes too busy being badass

Problem with expertise really is scum has mindlink and expertise is too expensive to slot on a ship that cant abuse the crap out of it

Really?  People are happy enough to pay for Predator and Expertise is a much better damage buff for just 1pt more.

I think you're going to see Expertise a lot.  Especially on the Falcon where it functionally costs 1pt less than Predator as you can tune Luke down to Gunner.

Edited by Stay On The Leader

Ohhhh, so tempting to put it on a TIE/D. I know it makes it crazy expensive, but Tractor Beam as the Cannon can help keep the cost a bit lower:

Countess Ryad (34)
Expertise (4)
Tractor Beam (1)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)
TIE/D (0)

Onyx Squadron Pilot (32)
TIE/x7 (-2)

Onyx Squadron Pilot (32)
TIE/x7 (-2)

Total: 100

Jek Porkins (26)
Expertise (4)
R5-D8 (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)

So, good 'ole Porkins here is never stressed, so always has Expertise and can Target Lock for fully modified shots, every time. You can K turn and shed the stress, and still get a TL+Expertise on your shot. If you do take damage from the stress dump (37.5% of the time) you can use your action to repair it most of the time (62.5% success) and still get Focus effect on attack.

Not quite a Defender, but comes in at 33 pts. 3 perma fully modified attack dice, ~6 HPs, can 4K with them. 7 PS so higher than glaves/ryad/vessery

Edited by kris40k

Wait, people are poo-pooing Expertise??

Cost.

All 4pt have been hot garbage. So everyone it a bit skeptical.

Plus, thats going to push any ship its on to your #1 slot, i.e. the most expensively upgraded ship. Slapping it onto any ship is going to be a bad idea, you need to find ways to abuse it.