Sign in to follow this  
banjobenito

Bad news for the Striker Swarm...

they'll see almost no competitive use.

That's the rub, isn't it.  Why does tournament play have to always be the benchmark?  I'll have plenty of fun flying 5 Strikers casually in my 300 point lists.

I get annoyed when people always hold something up to the competitive lens, too, but only when the idea or list being criticized isn't meant for tournament play.

Hmm.  The thread started cuz some guy wanted to fly 5 of these bad boys, and has immediately discarded the entire model because he can only fly 4 and therefore it's "overpriced.".  It's like "competitive" is translated into "I can easily and/or reliably win tournaments."  People are talking DOA, and it hasn't even Arrived yet! :(

Edited by Darth Meanie

they'll see almost no competitive use.

That's the rub, isn't it.  Why does tournament play have to always be the benchmark?  I'll have plenty of fun flying 5 Strikers casually in my 300 point lists.

I get annoyed when people always hold something up to the competitive lens, too, but only when the idea or list being criticized isn't meant for tournament play.

Hmm.  The thread started cuz some guy wanted to fly 5 of these bad boys, and has immediately discarded the entire model because he can only fly 4 and therefore it's "overpriced.".  It's like "competitive" is translated into "I can easily and/or reliably win tournaments."  People are talking DOA, and it hasn't even Arrived yet! :(

You read my mind. I agree entirely.

It is still far, far too early to write off the Striker. We really do need experience flying them, because Ailerons is unlike anything we've had before. I mean, so what if you can't run the dream swarm that you were building up in your head. Isn't this about the same thing they said about the Fang? Pretty sure I've seen a quad Fang squad do well. 

Still think you should just run 5 with trick shot.

Or stop complaining about 1 point. You werent going to win with 5 with crackshot anyways(see defenders and Dengaroo). Palp defenders are still OP and would easily murderate 1 before it shoots. So people would just run palp aces anyways. Best hope is that the high ps pilots are good enough for pocket ace duty

FFG is either extremely sadistic or extremely stupid. ehhhhh, probably both

Their frackin generic pricing is consistently not what the good people of X-wing want. FFG is PURPOSELY limiting the meta with the way they are choosing to price generic pilots and it's so infuriating!

I'm just glad their idiotic choices mean us good people will buy less of their product. They may never again release a ship where you would honestly want to purchase more than one. This is all revolting and hideous to live through.

FFG is either extremely sadistic or extremely stupid. ehhhhh, probably both

Their frackin generic pricing is consistently not what the good people of X-wing want. FFG is PURPOSELY limiting the meta with the way they are choosing to price generic pilots and it's so infuriating!

I'm just glad their idiotic choices mean us good people will buy less of their product. They may never again release a ship where you would honestly want to purchase more than one. This is all revolting and hideous to live through.

Because they are limiting ONE specific squad that probably they did not like the results of in playtesting. Ailerons is just so new, that we can't just write the ship off right away just because you have to choose between an amazing EPT, especially in swarms, or 5 ships with 3 atk. 

So because you cant run crackshot, swarming them is impossible... Lol, this is one upgrade that is powerful, but is not "put on generic or die"... There are plenty of other options. 4 with crackshot and backstabber. Ps1generics with frame. Some mix of them and tie fighters. 5 with score to settle and trickshots. Crack shot isnt always neccessary guys.

Edited by Zura

I'm peeved but trust FFG saw it as broken. I mean, look how excited people were for five Strikers with Crack - it definitely had some potential.

Here's something I think we can all agree with, though - **** them for holding out telling us the pricing and upgrades of that last card until release. They knew that pricing would determine how many of these expansions people pre-ordered so they made you take a gamble. 

Hopefully no one pre-ordered five lol 

Edited by Rinzler in a Tie

Or stop complaining about 1 point. You werent going to win with 5 with crackshot anyways(see defenders and Dengaroo). Palp defenders are still OP and would easily murderate 1 before it shoots. So people would just run palp aces anyways. Best hope is that the high ps pilots are good enough for pocket ace duty

Not sure, those things are literally unpredictable. Thing that people still don't get it

Not sure, those things are literally unpredictable. Thing that people still don't get it

Unpredictable: Move the wings so it looks like your aileroning left, then aileron to the right. ROFL :lol:

Here's something I think we can all agree with, though - **** them for holding out telling us the pricing and upgrades of that last card until release. They knew that pricing would determine how many of these expansions people pre-ordered so they made you take a gamble. 

Ah, the dark times, before the Empire internet, when you didn't know there was any new product at all until it was on the shelves of the store selling at full MRSP.

I don't agree.  Mostly, I think the above makes you an internet era cry baby.

Edited by Darth Meanie

I'm just gonna throw in that hat the thought that perhaps they deliberately priced out 5 with Crack Shot so that it's not possible. I feel like Crack Shot is exactly the reason they are 20 points and not 19, but maybe that's just me. Not trying to start any fires, but I just think it makes sense.

I'm just gonna throw in that hat the thought that perhaps they deliberately priced out 5 with Crack Shot so that it's not possible. I feel like Crack Shot is exactly the reason they are 20 points and not 19, but maybe that's just me. Not trying to start any fires, but I just think it makes sense.

You can't win.  If they were 19, everyone would be complaining they were broken in a month, but since they are 20, they are overpriced.

You can't win.  If they were 19, everyone would be complaining they were broken in a month, but since they are 20, they are overpriced.

Oh, I know.  I'm just Devil's Advocate.  Some people will always be disappointed, but they are in the minority.  It's just that the disappointed minority is generally the more vocal.  I'm not one to decide if the ship is competitive, but I am definitely excited to play around with it for a bit!  But again, would be willing to bet that they deliberately priced it out of a Crack Swarm.  If I were to be completely honest, I wouldn't be thrilled with the idea of a 5 ship squad that each have 3 attack AND Crack Shot, but I wouldn't be that upset.  I don't really play Empire much anymore anyway; I just like to play around with the new stuff when I can.  Crack has its place on 2 attack swarms, and has a few niches where it works well on one or two 3 attack ships.  I'm a proponent of upgrades that are not omniversatile.  It should not be a viable option on the majority of generic swarms, but should be quite strong on just a few, and in that regard, it already is.

Just my two cents.

Ah, the dark times, before the Empire internet, when you didn't know there was any new product at all until it was on the shelves of the store selling at full MRSP.

I don't agree. Mostly, I think the above makes you an internet era cry baby.

This is a tangential and idiotic response, especially in your best "I walked uphill both ways to school" voice.

My saying that FFG may (in big cynical air quotes) have made a marketing and sales decision because they know their customers has nothing to do with how grateful I am to have previews.

Snooze.

Edit: Also, you didn't quote the first half of my post where I support their pricing decision:

I'm peeved but trust FFG saw it as broken. I mean, look how excited people were for five Strikers with Crack - it definitely had some potential.

Edited by Rinzler in a Tie

Strikers aren't completely useless.

I just managed to squeak in 2 games against a friend of mine where I used 2 strikers with LWF and Adaptive Ailerons.

Them suckers move fast with the title!

And the 2k and 2 sloops combined with the title makes them one of the hardest ships to pin down.

With where they can end up I equate them to a phantom just without the pre move barrel roll.

And not as durable due to less defense dice.

Might not be the most competitive ship but boy does the title make it fun to fly!

Plus the wings move.

After TIE Swarms were so prominent for so long and got pushed out of the meta because so many people hated them, and then they released an efficient large base in the Jumpmaster and it's best combo got nerfed, they're probably cautious to release any more aggressively priced generics. We have TIE Fighter Crack Swarm, bringing back the classic fighter but it has enough counters to not let it become rampant. We didn't need a 5 ship 3 attack Crack Swarm. This ship is fast and versatile and I'd wager will be strong in large groups. But as I've said earlier in the thread, we don't really need anymore ships that can easily spam Crack Shot. Crack Swarm exists and Crack Shot has its niche on a few specific other places, and that's how every upgrade should be. They probably deliberately priced the Striker out of Crack Swarm and it's probably better for it.

Edited by Engine25