Sign in to follow this  
banjobenito

Bad news for the Striker Swarm...

don't think you'd ever run five strikers due to lack of dice mods involved

four cracks with howlie would've been a sight to see, though

:(

See, this is why I'm sad about the pricing choice.

I don't think it would have been OP at 19, I think it would have been another good option for a list archetype that's interesting but little-used.  And at this price point it's more or less completely shut that down, because 4 3-die one-mod ships with Crack Shot is already possible, and already not touched with a barge-pole, even with better ships with better mods than these (e.g. Fangs).

Yup. Generics are going to be competitively DOA unless someone finds a great combo with, oh that's right, no upgrade slots lol 

Edited by Rinzler in a Tie

As someone who flew interceptors before their payday by the thing called autothrusters, these things will be fine. Are they meant for the common straight line jousting 50% of players do? No. Hence why swarming them was never a good idea. You need to make them dance, otherwise, yes, they won't be all that great.

guess they wanted people to use the PS 1?

Which is random, because it's just a little cheap for 5 PS1s. If you wanted to 'swarm' them, it's actually priced right for Scarif Defenders (5 with Lightweight Frame and Ailerons) - which has the advantage that you out-PS the other medium-weight swarms (PS1 Zealous Recruit, PS2 Blue Novice, PS2 Cartel Marauder), but it doesn't mean much against "everyone else".

Hence why swarming them was never a good idea. You need to make them dance

67031947.jpg

Indeed. I agree that jousting them or flying them in a tight "block" is a waste of their potential - but that's not the same as not being able to take them in a swarm.

You can still mix it up just like howlrunner crack swarm does, or even sprinkle it into palpaces, you can still run 4 crackblacks and another ship if you want or even run all 3 aces in a list like this

Lambda

general hux

collision detector

Duchess

title + Vi +lightweight frame

Pure sabacc

Title + VI + lightweight frame

countdown

title + TIE Mk2

98/100

The black being 20 pts doesn't make the striker DOA

This has been my planned squad to use the Strikers in from the beginning.

Minor adjustments from what you have that I'm planning are Captain Yorr as the shuttle driver w/ Electronic Baffle to allow Countdown to potentially tank multiple shots in a round. Also, only Adaptability on Duchess instead of VI and no TIE MK2 on Countdown. That's at 100 pts.

I'm really feeling the potential of TIE Strikers when they're being given either tokens or actions from another source that frees them up for evade or barrel roll actions to help keep them alive for longer. Hux is a very good source for this and with Yorr taking the stress for Countdown along with Baffle, Countdown becomes all the more dangerous of a target. 

I can understand the sadness of the Black Sq Scout pt cost, but I'm more looking forward to the named pilots and how they can gel together for difficult target priority for my opponent. 

Edited by RStan

As someone who flew interceptors before their payday by the thing called autothrusters, these things will be fine. Are they meant for the common straight line jousting 50% of players do? No. Hence why swarming them was never a good idea. You need to make them dance, otherwise, yes, they won't be all that great.

Oh for goodness' sake.  Yeah, I was gonna buy 5 of these is that had been appropriately priced.

I'm certainly not now.

That is really, really, really disappointing.

How sad that FFG designed the ships for game balance rather than for your list-building pleasure.  You can run 5; they will just be naked.  Or take Adaptibility.

Oh for goodness' sake.  Yeah, I was gonna buy 5 of these is that had been appropriately priced.

I'm certainly not now.

How sad that FFG designed the ships for game balance rather than for your list-building pleasure.  You can run 5; they will just be naked.  Or take Adaptibility.

Not really.  Running 5 of them without some extra offensive punch of some kind is going to be mediocre at best.  There are shedload of options for doing that already (alphas, cartel marauders, Zealous Recruits, A Wings, etc etc), and they all get little or no use.  Giving another option to run a mediocre 3 attack die swarm... doesn't do anything to game balance, because just like those other options, they'll see almost no competitive use.

I'm certainly not now.

Not really.  Running 5 of them without some extra offensive punch of some kind is going to be mediocre at best.  There are shedload of options for doing that already (alphas, cartel marauders, Zealous Recruits, A Wings, etc etc), and they all get little or no use.  Giving another option to run a mediocre 3 attack die swarm... doesn't do anything to game balance, because just like those other options, they'll see almost no competitive use.
The list you give makes me suspect that Strikers have appropriate points costs. After all, if this is 'just another' 3 attack die swarm, then that basically means the Striker does not represent a step of power creep. That seems like a good thing.

I absolutely hate that this thing is 20 points. 5 Super fragile, 3 attack Crack shot ships? Nah, broken! Better make it unplayable at 20 points to avoid that, even though its not even close to as busted as x7!

Dumb, dumb, dumb. FFG, please stop making so many generics competitively unplayable from the get go.

Edited by Kdubb

I'm certainly not now.

The list you give makes me suspect that Strikers have appropriate points costs. After all, if this is 'just another' 3 attack die swarm, then that basically means the Striker does not represent a step of power creep. That seems like a good thing.

It doesn't represent a step of anything, because almost nobody uses any of the current 3 attack die swarms, like ever.

it is worth noting its 1pt cheaper than the Saber Squad Pilot (PS4 Interceptor w/ EPT).

How much that is worth for -1 agi....no idea lol.

I was under the impression these were suppose to be an interceptor variant. Effectively the same thing offensively with the only real difference being flight pattern due to the title. That idea changed when i saw it was 2agi, and i began to wonder if it was undercutting the interceptor as well. Guess not.

Wth would that 1pt less do? Unless the title proves to be an incredible asset, i dont really see a reason to pay 1pt less to get a -1agi ship that otherwise is exactly the same (4hull doesnt mean jack on 2agi and no shields).

Now i'd rather run the PS1 guy instead of the Interceptor's PS1. Its 17pts vs 18pts for the same situation, BUT i know from list building experience the 17 vs 18pt difference is quite big and usually means getting the ship in the list or not. Ive never had that issue except at the 16-18pt range. Also the title provides a bit of tricks that no ept interceptors cant do.

As for the uniques, we all know the interceptors save for Jax/Fel are utter trash. Overcosted, missing an EPT, or badly designed ability. Striker ones, all 3 of them, are useful and have multiple uses. Fel/Jax are locked into 1 build and 1 strat and theres a ton of ways to prey on them now, which i dont see preying on strikers as bad (speaking in terms of stress attack or stress benefit stuff). Stressing a striker denies its title but you also know its stressed before it activates so you can set the dial to accommodate, interceptors end up doublestressed and totally hosed

I'm certainly not now.

It doesn't represent a step of anything, because almost nobody uses any of the current 3 attack die swarms, like ever.

That's basically what I mean. I am hesitant about the level of power 'progressing' as it were. When faced with the question if the game really needs 5 ships with 3 attack dice and an open EPT slot when previously "nobody" (hyperbole?) played such a list, I'd probably play it safe too. There's a lot of sense in this decision. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

they'll see almost no competitive use.

That's the rub, isn't it.  Why does tournament play have to always be the benchmark?  I'll have plenty of fun flying 5 Strikers casually in my 300 point lists.

It's not the benchmark, it's an observation. 

I get annoyed when people always hold something up to the competitive lens, too, but only when the idea or list being criticized isn't meant for tournament play. We've been talking tournament viability for most of this thread - but you're more than welcome to tell us about your 300-point games. No one is going to say, "Why would you discuss 300 point games?" 

they'll see almost no competitive use.

That's the rub, isn't it.  Why does tournament play have to always be the benchmark?  I'll have plenty of fun flying 5 Strikers casually in my 300 point lists.

The reason is because if something is competitive in tournament play, it is competitive in ALL play. Competitive players want to have fun with 5 Strikers as well. But, if FFG prices the ships incorrectly, its largely unavailable to the players who choose to focus on the competitive side of the game. Having a well priced card means little to casual. It means everything to competitive.

The answer? Do EVERYTHING to make sure something is priced appropriately for the competitive game, because then both casual AND competitive have a ship/upgrade they can use.

I absolutely hate that this thing is 20 points. 5 Super fragile, 3 attack Crack shot ships? Nah, broken! Better make it unplayable at 20 points to avoid that, even though its not even close to as busted as x7!

Dumb, dumb, dumb. FFG, please stop making so many generics competitively unplayable from the get go.

Maybe they just want named pilots to always be better, haha. Or not cost our generic EPT carriers such that they overshadow the obviously cooler and more fun to play named pilots.

Call it predominately DOA if you want, but I'm gonna put in some time with the Strikers. I believe it's going to be a ship that you won't be able to just pick up and make it work wonders for you. You're gonna have to put in the time to practice and get games in mainly to get used to it's movement with the title. The key will be making that title an advantage for you and not a difficulty to grasp it's movement.