Sign in to follow this  
banjobenito

Bad news for the Striker Swarm...

I really don't think Countdown is very good.  Yeah the first hit that comes in gets reduced down to 1 damage, but then you're stressed and the second shot just wipes you out.

Getting play time with him will tell, but after throwing Hull Upgrade on him:

a) if Countdown is acting like Biggs then he's doing his job;

b) there are ways to remove stress, but you're right - focus fire will ruin him. If you're all-in on it, then have Palp in the Shuttle with Yorr behind the controls; and 

c) Countdown is not just a Biggs in a Striker. He's also a feeder for Swarm Leader or Vessery because he doesn't need his action unless he's arc-dodging. I'm sure he can feed more things, like General Hux or some of the new stuff I haven't memorized yet..

If he had an EPT he'd be broken but I would sure love to throw VI on him because then he'd take even less shots. I don't think he'll be in tier-1 lists but he's easily tier-2.  

The Mouse is one sneaky little devil. I'm sure that they intended this ship to definitely not carry a five attack Crack Swarm onto the mats; but I don't really see that being a real thing beyond simple fun. Maybe the flight mechanics of the Title make it --in the hands of an expert-- really hard to fight outside of using lame, stupid ******* TLTs. (sorry for the non-thread rant).

Rinzler is also correct in the fact they missed a selling opportunity; could have made some better jack for the Mouse's World.

Oh well, power creep will stay in the game; just not on the TIE swarm side of things....

Edited by clanofwolves

I really don't think Countdown is very good.  Yeah the first hit that comes in gets reduced down to 1 damage, but then you're stressed and the second shot just wipes you out.

b) there are ways to remove stress, but you're right - focus fire will ruin him. If you're all-in on it, then have Palp in the Shuttle with Yorr behind the controls; and 

c) Countdown is not just a Biggs in a Striker. He's also a feeder for Swarm Leader or Vessery because he doesn't need his action unless he's arc-dodging. I'm sure he can feed more things, like General Hux or some of the new stuff I haven't memorized yet..

If he had an EPT he'd be broken but I would sure love to throw VI on him because then he'd take even less shots. I don't think he'll be in tier-1 lists but he's easily tier-2.  

I don't really know why you're comparing him to Biggs, he's not somebody you need to hit early.

Pure Sabacc is closer to a Biggs-style effect because his extra firepower will draw attention.

I don't really know why you're comparing him to Biggs, he's not somebody you need to hit early.

Pure Sabacc is closer to a Biggs-style effect because his extra firepower will draw attention.

He is though.  It either takes focus fire on him to kill him, or you have to take at least 4 rounds.  So you need to kill him al at once or it's going to take you a while.

Indeed, I think BOTH pilots have a biggs-like effect.  I'm kind of wondering about both of them with OL and someone.  That's a whole lotta confused targetting priorities...

He is though.  It either takes focus fire on him to kill him, or you have to take at least 4 rounds.  So you need to kill him al at once or it's going to take you a while.

Indeed, I think BOTH pilots have a biggs-like effect.  I'm kind of wondering about both of them with OL and someone.  That's a whole lotta confused targetting priorities...

I don't think that's true, though, really... like if you don't focus him down early on he still just dies lategame just a bit more slowly.  The greens on this thing are **** so once he's stressed he's easy meat - yeah it might take 4 turns to kill him but it's 4 turns of a turkey shoot you can't possibly lose.

Sure, don't hit him early and then try to kill him in the late-game when you can only do a maximum of one damage per turn without focus fire (because if it's late game it's probably one v. one).

Just like Biggs, his usefulness morphs as the game state progresses.

It's an impersonation at best but it's pretty **** close to Biggs with R4-D6 but with less stress. 

No question the greens are ****. 

Indeed. Pure Sabbac/Swarm Leader is going to draw a hell of a lot of fire to try and get two damage cards on him before he fires. Countdown is nice in that he can afford to evade and then give up said evade to fuel the earth-shattering kaboom.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Yeah, that's probably apt.  It's unpredictable as hell but as long as you can open some range it should be easy enough to keep it in arc with a higher PS ship.

Don't forget when it's stressed it doesnt get Ailerons.  A stressed TIE Striker is in a world of trouble, and Countdown is the TIE Striker that volunteers for that shitstorm.

Edited by Stay On The Leader

I'm certain it's appropriately priced.

I agree. These quick little guys would probably wreck the meta if we could run five of them with Crack Shot. 

That being said, FFG missed an opportunity to sell out of these on day one. 

In exchange for the ability to continue selling the product in general.  Imagine running 5 crackshot x-wings with vectored thrusters because this would not be super far from it.

Yeah, that's probably apt.  It's unpredictable as hell but as long as you can open some range it should be easy enough to keep it in arc with a higher PS ship.

Don't forget when it's stressed it doesnt get Ailerons.  A stressed TIE Striker is in a world of trouble, and Countdown is the TIE Striker that volunteers for that shitstorm.

This is really important. 

I tried to mimic the Ailerons using the echolocation application. The Tie/SF has the closest dial I could find in four seconds (just removed the 3-hard turns) and gave it boost with Advanced Sensors.

This is a close representation of the Striker maneuverability with Ailerons: http://randolphw.github.io/echolocation/?tiesffighter&&&7,7,7,7,15&18&&&1

But stack it up against the Sabre squadron, for example:

PTL, AT, Sabre: 26pts

Predator, LWF, Scout: 25pts

I don't really see much advantage in the scout.

26 points to 25 points is a critical threshold, though; the point at which you get a 4th ship.

Imperials are developing quite a nice line-up of 20-25 point ships recently, and this is another one to throw into the pot - this time it's got a more flexible "dial" and (unusually for the TAP/TIEfo/TIE Bomber crowd), three native red dice.

This is really important.

I tried to mimic the Ailerons using the echolocation application. The Tie/SF has the closest dial I could find in four seconds (just removed the 3-hard turns) and gave it boost with Advanced Sensors.

This is a close representation of the Striker maneuverability with Ailerons: http://randolphw.github.io/echolocation/?tiesffighter&&&7,7,7,7,15&18&&&1

Indeed. I was looking at Duchess with Stay On Target, because that's one hell of a lot of options at speed 2, especially with optional ailerons move thrown in first.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Man, I was really hoping to run 10 of these with Crackshot, Push The Limit, and Tactician on all of them! **** you FFG for anticipating how people might want to spam these, and for pricing them accordingly! I already had a fake list and meta created in my head!

Disappointing. Sad. Not happy. Annoyed. 

Man, I was really hoping to run 10 of these with Crackshot, Push The Limit, and Tactician on all of them! **** you FFG for anticipating how people might want to spam these, and for pricing them accordingly! I already had a fake list and meta created in my head!

Disappointing. Sad. Not happy. Annoyed. 

Yeah, people wanting another swarm archetype to work are jerks.  Screw those guys.

5 strikers probably would have been a bad idea anyway as thats basically raw dice. Striker needs to dodge people, so barrelroll/evade is going to be their main action. Without Howlie or some support ship, they wont hit very reliably unless you risk blowing up.

don't think you'd ever run five strikers due to lack of dice mods involved

four cracks with howlie would've been a sight to see, though

:(

See, this is why I'm sad about the pricing choice.

I don't think it would have been OP at 19, I think it would have been another good option for a list archetype that's interesting but little-used.  And at this price point it's more or less completely shut that down, because 4 3-die one-mod ships with Crack Shot is already possible, and already not touched with a barge-pole, even with better ships with better mods than these (e.g. Fangs).