Sign in to follow this  
banjobenito

Bad news for the Striker Swarm...

15401018_733338313508539_425300143561800

Yep, crackshot scouts clock in at 21pts, so anyone hoping to run 5 is going to be feeling the salt!

Oh for goodness' sake.  Yeah, I was gonna buy 5 of these is that had been appropriately priced.

I'm certainly not now.

That is really, really, really disappointing.

Edited by thespaceinvader

Agreed Jarval! Apparently an ept slot costs the same as +1 PS and an amazing pilot skill (Countdown's)! Very arbitrarily priced in relation to the other pilots.

Another comparison would be: +4PS and another great pilot skill (Duchess's) will cost you 3 more points than the scout.

Yep, crackshot scouts clock in at 21pts, so anyone hoping to run 5 is going to be feeling the salt!

Oh for goodness' sake.  Yeah, I was gonna buy 5 of these is that had been appropriately priced.

I'm certainly not now.

Black Squadron Scout (20)
Swarm Leader (3)

Black Squadron Scout (20) x2
Crack Shot (1)

Imperial Trainee (17) x2

Total:99

I'm certainly not now.

Swarm Leader (3)

Crack Shot (1)

Imperial Trainee (17) x2

20 HP 2 agility gonna die like boom.

And suck crits like wow.

Edited by thespaceinvader

You can still mix it up just like howlrunner crack swarm does, or even sprinkle it into palpaces, you can still run 4 crackblacks and another ship if you want or even run all 3 aces in a list like this

Lambda

general hux

collision detector

Duchess

title + Vi +lightweight frame

Pure sabacc

Title + VI + lightweight frame

countdown

title + TIE Mk2

98/100

The black being 20 pts doesn't make the striker DOA

I'm certainly not now.

Swarm Leader (3)

Crack Shot (1)

Imperial Trainee (17) x2

And suck crits like wow.

And that's why you wanted to run 5 Scouts?

Edited by gabe69velasquez

Actually, the bigger deal to me (just visible) is the Scarif [something]er.

at 19 points, you can't field 5 of them with Lightweight Frame, which I was hoping would make them a viable alternative to (say) 5 Khiraxz or protectorates.

at 18, you can.

Annoyingly, it's about 3 pixels from being able to tell!

Edited by Magnus Grendel

I'm certainly not now.

Swarm Leader (3)

Crack Shot (1)

Imperial Trainee (17) x2

And suck crits like wow.

And that's why you wanted to run 5 Scouts?

I was hoping to be able to run 5 with Lightened Frame and a 0 point EPT, or four with lightened frame, crack and howl, or something.

TBH I'm not even sure I would have run 5 with just crack, on reflection.

But I'm not going to get to find out, now.

I just can't see this fitting in for the price.  Duchess, great.  Countdown, great.  Sabacc, solid.  But the generics I can't see myself using.

I mean, if you were willing to use 17 point PS1 generics, then why not Alpha Squaddies?  It's not like anyone uses those much.

Basically, before the spoiler artice, hoped for 17 points, expected 18, would have been grudgingly OK with 19.

After the spoiler article, hoped for 19, expected 19, would not have been OK with 20.

Got 20.  Not OK with it.

It's OK, I have my triple upsilon list to look forward to.  Now I just have to justify to myself buying three of those beasts.

Actually, the bigger deal to me (just visible) is the Scarif [something]er.

at 19 points, you can't field 5 of them with Lightweight Frame, which I was hoping would make them a viable alternative to (say) 5 Khiraxz or protectorates.

at 18, you can.

Annoyingly, it's about 3 pixels from being able to tell!

It's a Scarif Defender and is 18 points. Images can be found here: https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=733338040175233&id=389684251207282&set=pcb.733338660175171&source=48 Edited by Goseki1

I'm okay with it I suppose... But it was clearly priced at 20pts in order to specifically exclude the possibility of the crack Striker being the new swarm standard, rather than according to an objective metric.

If it had been 19 I don't think it would have been the new standard.

A new option, maybe.

But we'll never find out, TIE Swarm Only Swarm yay I guess.

I'm okay with it I suppose... But it was clearly priced at 20pts in order to specifically exclude the possibility of the crack Striker being the new swarm standard, rather than according to an objective metric.

exactly.  however, i don't think this would have been particularly OP.  i still maintain that 4 tooled up ones are far superior to 5 crack ones would have been.  predator and LWF is a good option for the PS4. 

exactly.  however, i don't think this would have been particularly OP.  i still maintain that 4 tooled up ones are far superior to 5 crack ones would have been.  predator and LWF is a good option for the PS4. 

Good point, hope you're right!

But stack it up against the Sabre squadron, for example:

PTL, AT, Sabre: 26pts

Predator, LWF, Scout: 25pts

I don't really see much advantage in the scout. It's pretty close either way. It hits a bit harder, but is weaker at range 3, has a worse defence, worse maneuverability, worse post-maneuver. I suppose the initiative would decide the head-to-head.

And the Sabre sees very little table time (well, I like it, but that's an anomoly :) )

If you're running Howlrunner, you can take 4 Black Squadrons, 2 with Crack Shot, and 2 with Trick Shot (plus Howl with Trick Shot).  It's not as point-and-shoot simple as 4 Crack Shots, but there's definitely something there if you're good at flying through asteroids.  

If you're running Howlrunner, you can take 4 Black Squadrons, 2 with Crack Shot, and 2 with Trick Shot (plus Howl with Trick Shot).  It's not as point-and-shoot simple as 4 Crack Shots, but there's definitely something there if you're good at flying through asteroids.  

Yeah, if you forgo the title on the Strikers, else forget staying at range 1 of Howlrunner. 

5 Strikers with Crack Shot (and the title) means you've got a nasty, agile, and hard-hitting handful. They can stay in formation because they all have access to the pre-man. boost. Howl couldn't keep up, which is kind of the point. 

AAARGH the frustration is kicking in. I really wanted to run this swarm... Glad I only pre-ordered two so I can run Duchess and Countdown together. 

Edited by Rinzler in a Tie