Sign in to follow this  
No Pickles

Need help being a good sport!

I guess we should embrace the fact that we only have a meta game of 2, and just create our own fixes to balance it out so we can fly what we enjoy.

Also I need to stop landing on rocks.

That is part of the problem, not the solution. Making a 'fix' and worrying about the 'metagame' is the WAAC behavior you mentioned you want to eliminate. Just think about it, before the game has even begun you are already worried about the result. That is the crux of the issue you brought up. Yes every ship and every combo is not created equal, however, if that is your mentality going into the game then it makes sense why during and after are so predicated on the win. Fly what is FUN to fly, if you make every game about fun then your son may pick up on it as well.

Have you tried playing scenarios (or missions), like the Hoth campaign? I find that when I play a story, I become a bit more detached from the outcome, if you see what I mean. In a scenario, you contribute to the story that is being told, regardless of whether you win or lose. You can also create lists that are "historical" rather than optimal - and blame General Dodonna for not giving you A-Wings!

Also, if your son is the better player, scenarios can also fix this. Few missions are balanced very well, so once you've figured out which side is the toughest, your son can play that one. And if you find one that's balanced, you can start tinkering with lists, which is a game in itself.

Learn that you can't control everything, nor should you want to.

I really like this idea.  

It works on so many levels. 

Dice roll, that is their nature, their function. Sometimes the outcome is not what you want, and you can try to mitigate that with actions and tokens but even then it may be that you are not content. 

Why be dissatisfied by something you have done all you could to create? You rolled, you mitigated, this is the outcome. Accept it. Move on and try to do better the next time.

The Dune Litany against Fear could be applied here as well. Just substitute fear with any negative emotion

I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain

Wow. These are some great suggestions. 

Part of the problem is the game has changed so much in depth and complexity. My son loves to fly powerful synergistic combos but I basically want to fly X-wings. We had a 2 weekend stretch where I lost to his Palp defenders 5 times in a row.

Lol I banned him from flying that list.

What I should do is fly triple defenders and just put an X-wing model on the base.

I guess we should embrace the fact that we only have a meta game of 2, and just create our own fixes to balance it out so we can fly what we enjoy.

D'ya have some list examples? Maybe we can tweak it a bit.

Landing on rocks you say? Grab a mat, dump 15 rocks on it, sprinkle some satellite tokens, pick a starting point and set a course Time yourself to see how fast you can cross over each satellite.

Do it again.

Make a race out of it with your son.

Running into rocks -- Practice moving ships on your own outside of the game. By doing it enough you gain the spatial awareness you'll need to avoid those pesky rocks (most of the time).

List building -- fly what is fun to fly and quit worrying about "the meta". You're playing at home with your son, not going to worlds. Truthfully, you can find synergy in almost any theme of list, even with x-wings. If I want to play a specific ship, I look for what can fit around it. Most of my lists have this sort of fun "theme" about them, and I think you'll find out that you can have fun and be more competitive than you realize.

Someone else suggested playing the missions -- that sounds like a great way to inject more of the casual fun and thematic feel you're looking for while still giving your son a challenge to play for/against.

My wife barely tolerates my time spent on games.

If I started spending more time practicing to beat my son I imagine life would become more stressful.

Practice with your son so it's called family time?

I understand the family dynamic. I have a wife who's not fully supportive of "silly" hobbies too. But how that is resolved is something you'll need to work out.

Part of the problem is the game has changed so much in depth and complexity. My son loves to fly powerful synergistic combos but I basically want to fly X-wings. We had a 2 weekend stretch where I lost to his Palp defenders 5 times in a row.

What I should do is fly triple defenders and just put an X-wing model on the base.

There are a lot of great suggestions on this thread concerning ways to handle sportsmanship.

Here are two things that may help you see things from a new perspective & how to help you avoid rocks:

1.) Once your cards & tokens all set up and before placing your ships, switch lists. You fly his and he flies yours. It will challenge you & help you understand each others choices better.

(And more importantly, maybe he'll see firsthand how, ahem... unfair Palps can be. I admit that I am biased.)

2.) My eyes were opened when I learned this: your ships make maneuvers generally that lie within your primary arc.

-

Hard turns (90 degree turns) will place your ships just outside the edge of your primary arc.

90%20degree%20turn_zpsgdhhnho8.png

Banked turns will place you just inside the edge of the primary arc.

banked%20turn_zps3gkpzpzc.png

Now that you know that, it should just be a matter of learning/estimating how many ship bases up and over the ship will go.

And it's always better to overshoot the rock and still be able to fire than it is to be sitting on it, not firing and possibly getting a damage.

Good luck!

Edited by Force Majeure

If I started spending more time practicing to beat my son I imagine life would become more stressful.

Push the limit of your wedding vows

I think this PTL reduces the chances of you getting any Action.

Not until after you clear the stress at any rate. And don't try to bring in a Wingman.

I assume you're mostly doing tournament-rules 100-point matches.

Try changing things up a bit. Maybe do 150 each. It's amazing how much room that extra 50 points gives you.

If one of you consistently wins, consider a handicap, say, 100 v 110 for a comp list player who wins more often against a thematic list player who mostly loses. Adjust the handicap up or down as win/loss ratios change.

Do a rule about no repeat lists. Don't just have it be upgrades, either, but ship lists. Bringing a Palp shuttle? Next game you can't take a Lambda. You have to have a game without before it is back on the available ship lest. Abusing Manaroo? No Spehs Toilet until you've gone without for a game.

Push the limit of your wedding vows

Gain 1 stress. This stress is doubled after each time push the wedding vows limits is used....

YOU CAN NEVER EVER CLEAR THIS STRESS. Give your opponent your stress tokens to be

handed out when ever they want, preferably for no good reason.