Sign in to follow this  
VaeVictis

Rogue One Discussion Thread

Yeah i felt Vaders pose and costume was a bit off.    He's ok in the combat scenes but his movement is a little too fluid and the helmet/neck section with the cape looked off.  I was sure vader had a chain connecting his cloak.

But minor gribble.. certainly didnt have the presence Prouse had.

I also heard Bail say 'trust HER with his life'.    Now they could be referring to Leia but they also say 'your friend the jedi'.   By this point no one knows Leia is force sensitive, not ever her, and she is not a 'jedi' because she, like Luke at this point is unaware of their existance and has had no training.

The prequels and everything Yoda said in the OT have led us to believe that you are not 'born' a jedi, you can have potential but it takes years of training and that not everyone succeeds.

So its either a massive dialogue fail and fails because

1.  they mean Obi Wan and put the wrong pronoun in .

or

2. they mean Leia and use the wrong job title :)

or

3. Its a cut section where an actual female jedi was shown or referred to and we dont see it.

I think I heard 'general syndalla' (sp) and again, like others have said the 'rank' system in star wars is ludicrous given generals usually end up in command of ten man strike teams, commanders have four man ships etc etc but 'corporal calrissian' doesnt have that 'power' does it.

:)

The thing I couldn't help but notice about Vader was during his initial entrance on Mustafar.  He had what I can only describe as a "Beyonce-style hip swagger" to his movement.  It's a minor thing and was only there for a single shot but it really stood out to me.  It does say a lot of the physical performance that David Prowse brought to the roll.

Im glad you noticed that too!   I thought he was swinging his hips and far too 'fluid' for a man who is supposed to be 'more machine than man'  by this point.

Yeah i felt Vaders pose and costume was a bit off.    He's ok in the combat scenes but his movement is a little too fluid and the helmet/neck section with the cape looked off.  I was sure vader had a chain connecting his cloak.

I also heard Bail say 'trust HER with his life'.    Now they could be referring to Leia but they also say 'your friend the jedi'.   By this point no one knows Leia is force sensitive, not ever her, and she is not a 'jedi' because she, like Luke at this point is unaware of their existance and has had no training.

The prequels and everything Yoda said in the OT have led us to believe that you are not 'born' a jedi, you can have potential but it takes years of training and that not everyone succeeds.

or

or

3. Its a cut section where an actual female jedi was shown or referred to and we dont see it.

I think I heard 'general syndalla' (sp) and again, like others have said the 'rank' system in star wars is ludicrous given generals usually end up in command of ten man strike teams, commanders have four man ships etc etc but 'corporal calrissian' doesnt have that 'power' does it.

You misunderstood that section of dialogue.  The jedi, and the her, were two separate people.  The her was the person who was getting the info to the jedi.  It's obviously referring to Obi-Wan and Leia.

Bail is talking about contacting Obi-Wan Kenobi and planning to send Leia to find him.

or

or

You misunderstood that section of dialogue.  The jedi, and the her, were two separate people.  The her was the person who was getting the info to the jedi.  It's obviously referring to Obi-Wan and Leia.

Well they could have made it a bit clearer if loads of people were confused by that exchange.    I thought they were talking about Obi Wan and then heard Bail refer to her and missed that they were talking about two different people. 

Seemed perfectly clear to me *shrug*  My recollection is that it went something like:

Mothma: We need to find your friend the Jedi.  Do you have someone you can send?

Bail: Yes

Mothma: Someone trustworthy?

Bail: Yes, I'd trust her with my life.

There wasn't any lack of clarity that I can recall over it being two different people.

Plus, IIRC there's nothing to suggest Bail even knows Ahsoka is there?

Edited by thespaceinvader

I didn't notice the music being bad?

I think probably the worst bit for me was Cassian's speech just before the commandos leave for Scarif.  It was just really flat, I could tell it was meant to be inspiring but I really didn't get that feeling from it.  And I'm really reaching to get that.

I took something else from that speech. To me he wasn't trying to be inspiring. He was a man who had done terrible things who wanted to make sure that they meant something in the end. He didn't need to be inspiring, his band of commandos had already volunteered. This speech was an explanation.

In this movie Cassian is many things (ruthless and pragmatic come to mind) but inspiring is not one of them.

I really liked that about him. He wasn't the typical heroic type of rebel we have come to expect. He is the guy in the shadows who does what needs to be done, regardless of how distasteful it is.

Which is why I especially liked his exchange with Jyn in the shuttle back to Yavin.

Jyn: "You can't talk your way out of this!"

Cassian: "I don't have to"

I think probably the worst bit for me was Cassian's speech just before the commandos leave for Scarif.  It was just really flat, I could tell it was meant to be inspiring but I really didn't get that feeling from it.  And I'm really reaching to get that.

I took something else from that speech. To me he wasn't trying to be inspiring. He was a man who had done terrible things who wanted to make sure that they meant something in the end. He didn't need to be inspiring, his band of commandos had already volunteered. This speech was an explanation.

In this movie Cassian is many things (ruthless and pragmatic come to mind) but inspiring is not one of them.

I really liked that about him. He wasn't the typical heroic type of rebel we have come to expect. He is the guy in the shadows who does what needs to be done, regardless of how distasteful it is.

Which is why I especially liked his exchange with Jyn in the shuttle back to Yavin.

I actually liked how Cassian was seen to be quite ruthless and it showed the rebellion to be capable of quite brutal acts and generally do the sort of 'asymetric warfare' that we in the UK and US usually associate with the 'bad guys' in our own world... like attacking troops transports, shooting at patrolling soldiers and then beating a retreat rather than sticking around for a 'stand up fight'.

I know it wasn't particularly meant to be inspiring in character.  But to the audience I felt like they were shooting for a heartfelt speech that would choke you up just before going into the Big **** Heroics, but it just fell flat for me.

And yeah, I really liked the character, and I really liked showing the Rebellion with some major shades of moral grey and good lord do I hate how that stupid book/movie has ruined the term 'shades of grey'.

Edited by thespaceinvader

Im very happy with the way they showed rebel military in general - not a bunch of idealists with some fighters but actually regular military with half decent fleet, intel and all that stuff. ANH always left an impression that between RotS and ANH rebellion gained no assets at all

but now we see that Scariff actually stripped them of almost everything they had at that time. Thats why now having only handfull of fighters during ANH makes sense.

I think some people might be confusing the messed up vader in a bacta tank before he puts his suit on with snoke

Maybe snoke was Vader's lackey who introduced Kenrik?

If not him specifically, then a.n.other "imperial advisor" would be definitely a possibility. It allows you to have a not-a-sith-but-knows-about-the-force individual, who may not be especially strong with the force but is going to be a devious son of a **** and knows where the Empire's secret projects, armouries, and bank accounts are.

Bear in mind - we don't know what happens to the Ghost crew between 'now' in rebels and the start of Rogue One. She might have got a promotion to a role which requires the rank.

Equally, we don't know which Syndulla it was! It could just as easily have been Cham Syndulla, her father. If the Twi'Leks changed their minds and signed on with the Rebel Alliance, he would definitely qualify for a General's rank.

Yeah but you know what i mean..   Like Lando basically sells out the heros of the rebellion then changes his mind and by RotJ is a 'general'.

Ditto Han Solo iirc.

Its just a very top heavy command structure in the rebellion. :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that...

I'm undecided on Rogue One. I think I've made the same mistake I made with TFA - built it up too much in my head. I rewatched TF and liked it a lot more second time round, hopefully the same with Rogue One.

I think they tried to squeeze too much in - I don't think they needed the bit in the middle, and I'd have liked to see more to the rebel alliance doing stuff. The final third of of the movie was awesome though, went straight home and watched ANH.

I agree with Vitalis, this movie really answered some questions in elegant ways about the inconsistency of information about the pre New Hope rebellion and the one seen fighting on Yavin 4. It also makes sense that how in a New Hope Vader and others talk as if they are -finally- going to stop the rebel threat, as if it's been a strong pain in their side for too long that must be dealt with.

You see having been stung *really* badly by the phantom menace in the 90s i deliberatley only watched one trailer for both TFA and R1 and went into both saying to myself.. 'its just an action movie... dont expect it to be 'empire' '

Which worked for TFA, i really enjoyed it saw it twice in the cinema.

did the same for R1.. avoided ruining it for myself my over analysing it and theorising it before i actually saw it.  (i do the same with xwing releases,... i avoid the previews and reveals and the stuff is so much more exciting when you actually get it).

The result is you dont build it up to be anything special so its usually a good experience when you see it as it was meant to be seen.

The other good point of the movie is that it makes Episode IV better. The weak point of the Death star is now not based on a construction "error", which was a bit ridiculous in the original movie.

Well, not really. It explains why the Death Star vaporized the moment torpedoes detonated, but Erso had nothing to do with the exhaust port.

I like it. The idea that the secondary exhaust port is an intentional design flaw is IMO silly, glad the movie restrained itself.

Edited by eMeM

Maybe snoke was Vader's lackey who introduced Kenrik?

If not him specifically, then a.n.other "imperial advisor" would be definitely a possibility. It allows you to have a not-a-sith-but-knows-about-the-force individual, who may not be especially strong with the force but is going to be a devious son of a **** and knows where the Empire's secret projects, armouries, and bank accounts are.

Just a lackey, he looked like the guys the Emperor had hanging around in ROTJ.