Sign in to follow this  
VaeVictis

Rogue One Discussion Thread

Went to see it again today.  Decided it is my #1 SW film, finally topping ESB.  The final space battle is just glorious.

Yes! and now I want to play that Hammerhead on the table top and recreate that scene!!  LOL!

They did okay with the CGI... but yeah it took me out too in a few moments.

:lol:  :mellow:  :P

... but not as much as gaddam ewoks!!!

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:

They don't look good at all. :(

Just expand your suspension of disbelief a little!

I mean, youre totally cool with saying make believe starfighters shooting lasers at each other in space looks totally real, but not Tarkin and Leia.  They are aliens after all, perhaps their facial features change every few minutes, those Tatooine/Naboo females can do crazy things...

I don't know what Tarkin is, but still an alien nonetheless :)

By now almost all my family members saw this movie, most of them in a small local cinema with not that impressive screen, and noone figured out the CGI characters. They remember Tarkin because of some card game that my brother forces everyone to play, and, translating roughly "something about him looked off in the first scene but in the next one he looked perfect so I assumed he acted a bit unnaturally because of the makeup they had to put on him to resemble the original actor." Leia was spot on.

Also, some people say this movie is not true Star Wars because it's not for children and rides on nostalgia and fanservice so people who aren't Star Wars fans won't enjoy it. Your mileage may vary, but I "tested" a small sample of both of those "target audiences" and I call BS.

Well I'm of the opinion that we need less Star Wars content with Jedi in them.

I'm thinking this would be clearer if said as "We could use more StarWars content without Jedi in it."

The Jedi may be a Star Wars but at least to me Star Wars is a lot more than just the Jedi.  Star Wars with just a sprinkling of the Force in some form is plenty recognizable enough especially when there is plenty of other familiar stuff around.

I always get a kick out of how time passes in the movies.  To think there is no way Bonda and Dr. E should have had time to get off world before the sacred city blew up is crazy.  When encountered I certainly got the impression that they were in a hurry for something and getting off the planet could be appropriate.  After that it may have been 10 minutes of screen time before the Death Star fired but would have taken a lot longer than that to set up the next steps.  How long did it take for the shock wave to travel from the city to the rebel hideout?  

The existence of games like X-Wing (both computer and tabletop) and Battlefront show that Star Wars has a much broader appeal than just Jedis.

Personally, I don't think it is about needing "less" Jedi content. Just that the universe exists in a much broader nature than just dudes and dudettes with lightsabers.

Especially if said dudes and dudettes are going to fly around on them like helicopters, lol. I will agree we need a lot less of that.

Rogue One did an excellent job of making its sole "Jedi scene" special, for the very reason that it was a single scene which enhanced its impact, as opposed to the prequels that made Jedi so commonplace as to be boring after a certain point.

They did okay with the CGI... but yeah it took me out too in a few moments.

:lol:  :mellow:  :P

... but not as much as gaddam ewoks!!!

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:

They don't look good at all. :(

Just expand your suspension of disbelief a little!

I mean, youre totally cool with saying make believe starfighters shooting lasers at each other in space looks totally real, but not Tarkin and Leia.  They are aliens after all, perhaps their facial features change every few minutes, those Tatooine/Naboo females can do crazy things...

I don't know what Tarkin is, but still an alien nonetheless :)

Problem is we saw them as humans before. It's almost as bad as when the wonderful black lady who played The Oracle in Matrix died and one of her best friends came into the role in the final film.

Kinda... yah!

;)

I have a question for y'all. Did anyone else notice the TIE Phantom plans in the movie?

Where?

When?

Please...

When several of the plans are shown on the monitor that they're using to find the Death Star plans.

Wouldn't the point of plans for the TIE Phantom be that no one saw them? ;-)

I have a question for y'all. Did anyone else notice the TIE Phantom plans in the movie?

Where?

When?

Please...

When several of the plans are shown on the monitor that they're using to find the Death Star plans.

I missed that easter egg. Thank you Dave Filoni. thank you. 

I wonder what other projects were there....

We know star dust is the death star...

Black saber is the only other one i remember because it reminds me of sabine and the dark saber...

Where?

When?

Please...

Black saber is the only other one i remember because it reminds me of sabine and the dark saber...

Now Filoni can make the Phantom canon again.

Where?

When?

Please...

Going to need to see a screenshot of that one...as I recall that scene, we only got a brief look at the computer screen (and it was just a list in Aurabesh text) before the camera angle switched to looking at Jyn and Cassian's faces from the side as Jyn read the names...screen definitely out of view.

Where?

When?

Please...

Now Filoni can make the Phantom canon again.

Where?

When?

Please...

Going to need to see a screenshot of that one...as I recall that scene, we only got a brief look at the computer screen (and it was just a list in Aurabesh text) before the camera angle switched to looking at Jyn and Cassian's faces from the side as Jyn read the names...screen definitely out of view.

If you

remember the camera cuts back to the screen while Jyn is reading the list.

Well I'm of the opinion that we need less Star Wars content with Jedi in them.

I'm thinking this would be clearer if said as "We could use more StarWars content without Jedi in it."

The Jedi may be a Star Wars but at least to me Star Wars is a lot more than just the Jedi.  Star Wars with just a sprinkling of the Force in some form is plenty recognizable enough especially when there is plenty of other familiar stuff around.

I always get a kick out of how time passes in the movies.  To think there is no way Bonda and Dr. E should have had time to get off world before the sacred city blew up is crazy.  When encountered I certainly got the impression that they were in a hurry for something and getting off the planet could be appropriate.  After that it may have been 10 minutes of screen time before the Death Star fired but would have taken a lot longer than that to set up the next steps.  How long did it take for the shock wave to travel from the city to the rebel hideout?

For the record, I don't think anyone was actually thinking Bonda and Dr E didn't have time to get off-planet. It was just my wife poking the bear, trying to find plot holes to get under my skin :)

I haven't read the entire thread, but I am seeing a lot of unbridled positivity here, so I have a couple of questions to ask. To be completely forthcoming, the movie overall just didn't do it for me. I thought that the plot was poorly paced and disjointed and the character development was lacking so that the only character I cared about losing was k2-s0 ( who was awesome by the way!). This is not to say that the movie did not have its strengths. The end (the whole third act) was awesome, I just thought that it lacked the weight it deserved due to the lackluster lead up. Now for the questions:

Do any of you agree with me about the plot pacing and character development?

Do you agree that the scarif scenes were by far the best part of the movie and deserved more of the movie?

If you answered yes to these questions, I would say that the easiest way this could have been solved would have been to have and opening credit scroll. This could have established much of the background without the awkward exposition and character introductions. We could have then started at the point where the team is trying to get bodhi from saw. The background could have then been established through a few well timed flashbacks to jyns childhood. You may argue that the opening credits would make it too similar to the main series films, but heavy use of flashbacks would give it enough of its own feel as the force vision Rey has in seven is the only flashback in the series so far.

Thoughts?