Sign in to follow this  
VaeVictis

Rogue One Discussion Thread

My favourite Star Wars scene is the final Luke V Vader battle in ep 6. Not because of the visuals but because of John William's soundtrack. It made me feel like the whole galaxy was holding its breath watching Luke turn to the dark side. Rogue 1 didn't have that. Dont get me wrong, these composers are geniuses, but JW is next level. He has the ability to amplify the context of the scene via his score. He is a integral part of a Star Wars movie and I missed that.

Not to rag too much on the movie. It's got some great scenes. K-2SO gotsome really witty lines. It is grittier, awesome references to ep4.

Forest Whitaker can act, felt let down buy his effort here.

I didn't mind Whitaker, although it felt like there was a lot more meat to his story that we didn't get to see. But I did find myself thinking every now and then that the soundtrack didn't live up to the OT, or even the PT to be honest. The movies were wore than warm dog vomit, but the soundtrack was outstanding.

And we share a favourite moment in that Vader vs Luke scene! So tense!

But I did find myself thinking every now and then that the soundtrack didn't live up to the OT, or even the PT to be honest. The movies were wore than warm dog vomit, but the soundtrack was outstanding.

The soundtrack wasn't very good, and starting a Star Wars movie without some variation of the opening theme was a bad choice.  Also did anybody notice that R2-D2/C-3P0 were on Yavin when the fleet had already left.  Later the Tantive IV launches from the flagship and then the droids are on board in Ep IV.  How did they get there?

Also did anybody notice that R2-D2/C-3P0 were on Yavin when the fleet had already left. 

I saw them on Yavin IV before the fleet left - I don't remember seeing them after.

C-3PO complains that "they are going to Scarif" when the fighters are taking off. Earlier, when Mothma learns about fighting on Scarif she wants to contact admiral, but he has already "gone to his fleet. He's going to fight.", so by the time the fighters launch the fleet is either en route or leaving (when the fighters jump out of lightspeed over Scarif the fleet is already there)

Edited by eMeM

That is a bit odd. Suppose they could have boarded the Tantive IV immediately after that - with it following the fleet to Scarif, and docking with the command ship in order to retrieve the plans - but it does seem a bit convoluted.

The fighters might have assembled in orbit before the whole fleet goes - to ensure everyone arrives simultaneously - again with 3PO and R2 boarding the Tantive IV and it joining the fighters, minutes after he says that.

The map in Rogue One Ultimate Visual Guide puts Scarif right next to Tatooine, so Leia might have concluded that joining the fleet won't delay her own mission by much.

Edited by Ironlord

1) the music was a C. Maybe because I was comparing to John Williams, but it was almost disappointing.

2) first 30 min was a B, maybe a C. It jumped around a lot, not really developing characters except the droid.

3) felt the CGI for Tarkin was boarder line cartoon. I understand the need for him to be in the movie... but wasn't happy with it.

4) I enjoyed the plot.

5) the final battle was AMAZING!!!! Holy smokes!!! All the cameo's! Even reusing old clips as new ones was good for me. (A LOT better than Tarkin). I don't mean to sound dark, but everyone needed to die to keep "A new hope" powerful.

6) ingvild Deila playing Leia was awesome and nearly perfect.

7) James Earl Jones is back!!

8) Vader is.... well the Vader we all feared!!! holy hell!!!

9) last 20 min of movie was A+++

Over all... enjoyed it. with the music, the action scenes were awesome. I rank this one above APM, AOTC, ROTS and TFA, but behind ROTJ, ANH, and finally ESB as number 1.

Also did anybody notice that R2-D2/C-3P0 were on Yavin when the fleet had already left. 

I saw them on Yavin IV before the fleet left - I don't remember seeing them after.

C-3PO complains that "they are going to Scarif" when the fighters are taking off. Earlier, when Mothma learns about fighting on Scarif she wants to contact admiral, but he has already "gone to his fleet. He's going to fight.", so by the time the fighters launch the fleet is either en route or leaving (when the fighters jump out of lightspeed over Scarif the fleet is already there)

The Admiral took his fleet there, but obviously not every ship is there, since Mon Mothma then orders an "all-in" move to Scarif.  A short time later, we see a scene with MANY Rebel ships dropping out of hyperspace.  There is no reason the Tantive IV can't be one of them, with R2 and 3PO on board.  It's not explained why they dock with the flag ship, though given that Rebels seem intent on getting the plans to them, I think it's safe to assume that the idea was to get them securely onto a another ship that can leave the battle ASAP and secure them.     

Ok, just saw Rogue one, and it made one of the main mysteries of Star wars clear. How they created Death star laser and how it works. Stay with me. Step one. We all know lightsaber cuts through everything, except plot armor. So someone with a tiny bit of logic decided, what to create all destroying weapon you just need to make really big lightsaber.

Proof is in Rogue one, Death star laser is made out of jedi lighsaber crystals they steal from temple. So two things - lightsaber trully cuts everything and bonus revelation - death star laser is green so it is jedi sentinel (kotor reference :D)

8/10

Why that high? It was an amazing film. The aesthetic was great, the characters were strong (I disagree that they weren't fleshed out enough; even Bodhi Rook, with as little screen time as he got, felt like he had history), the references and call-backs were (almost entirely) subtle and effective, and it did an excellent job of linking the film to A New Hope. The resurrected characters were especially great, even CGI Tarkin (who only had a couple of short sequences that felt off to me, the rest were all believably natural).

Why only an 8 and not higher? There were one or two references that were too awkwardly shoved in, most preeminently the C-3PO/R2-D2 bit. I suspect they just had to give a line to Anthony Daniels. I'd have preferred something more subtle, like having them following/accompanying Captain Antilles in the Yavin IV base at one or two spots. Also, the Empire, and Tarkin specifically, was made to seem evil stupid instead of evil ruthless, most especially when they blew up the base at the end. That particularly felt like they were trying to find a reason for the entire team to die. Speaking of which, Jyn dying feels like a waste of an amazing character. I'd have loved to see Bodhi not get grenaded and have him able to secure his shuttle and pick up Jyn and Cassian at the end, with Cassian dying from his injuries as they were escaping the blast wave (or better, not have the Death Star fire at the planet at all, since they'd effectively won the battle there already). That would have left Bodhi and Jyn as characters available both to future films and to books, graphic novels, and TV shows, while still selling the sacrifices made by the Rebels in order to set up the events of A New Hope.

Another minor nit for me to pick is that the blind guy really should have been able to get his moment of connection to the Force and nudge that switch into place. He still could have died afterward if a Death Trooper had managed to toss a grenade into the doorway or something, but it would have been a great pay-off for his personal story without having the oddness of him walking slowly through aimed blaster fire without any injury.

If they needed to have the superlaser fire again, there was a convenient Rebel fleet right there. They could have put a shot through the Rebel Mon Cal Cruiser (as a subtle reference to RotJ perhaps), maybe the shot could have punched through the upper atmosphere as well, casually wiping out a few Rebel fighters and their TIE Striker opponents due to the turbulence or something, and still shocking everyone with how effortlessly the best ship in the Rebel fleet got wiped out. Doing this would have prevent the moment of evil stupid that Tarkin had with blowing up a vital Imperial base after conventional forces had already effectively won the battle.

Anyway, if the references and such had been a bit cleaner and if there had been some useful reason for blowing up the base then I'd have pushed my rating up to a 9. If the ending had been more like what I described above, it very well might have been in 10 territory. As it is, it still meets my criteria for a solid 8. It's not only an amazing SW movie, it's a great movie period.

Ok, just saw Rogue one, and it made one of the main mysteries of Star wars clear. How they created Death star laser and how it works. Stay with me. Step one. We all know lightsaber cuts through everything, except plot armor. So someone with a tiny bit of logic decided, what to create all destroying weapon you just need to make really big lightsaber.

Proof is in Rogue one, Death star laser is made out of jedi lighsaber crystals they steal from temple. So two things - lightsaber trully cuts everything and bonus revelation - death star laser is green so it is jedi sentinel (kotor reference :D)

1. The fact Kyber crystals were the core of the Death Star weapon was well established before Rogue One.

2. In new canon, we know the search for crystals large enough goes back at least as far as Crisis on Utapau (unfinished Clone Wars story arc you can view on SW dot com)

3. The lightsaber coloration from KoToR is not, and never will be canon.

Doing this would have prevent the moment of evil stupid that Tarkin had with blowing up a vital Imperial base after conventional forces had already effectively won the battle.

Tarkin eliminated his only rival for command of the greatest weapon in the galaxy with that calculated shot from the Death Star. It would be an excusable use of it (to prevent any Rebel control of the valuable intel) as well as the most deliciously ironic way to deal with Krennic.

It wasn't evil-stupid, it was evil-vicious.

It also covered the tracks of the rebels so that Tarkin could claim to the rest of the Empire that nothing was stolen and that the rebels were comprehensively defeated. in ANH only he and Vader make reference to the plans, it's entirely possible no one else knows they were even stolen.

It also covered the tracks of the rebels so that Tarkin could claim to the rest of the Empire that nothing was stolen and that the rebels were comprehensively defeated. in ANH only he and Vader make reference to the plans, it's entirely possible no one else knows they were even stolen.

"You sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you to conjure up the stolen data tapes..." - Admiral Motti.

Doing this would have prevent the moment of evil stupid that Tarkin had with blowing up a vital Imperial base after conventional forces had already effectively won the battle.

Tarkin eliminated his only rival for command of the greatest weapon in the galaxy with that calculated shot from the Death Star. It would be an excusable use of it (to prevent any Rebel control of the valuable intel) as well as the most deliciously ironic way to deal with Krennic.

It wasn't evil-stupid, it was evil-vicious.

Krennic was done. Tarkin had the best excuse possible to humiliate him publicly and then have him executed. Instead of burning vast stores of incredibly important data which it was at least implied were only stored there. Even if they were only data backups, the loss of the facility was incredibly costly.

A politically self-serving move that demonstrates Tarkin's selfishness and short-sightedness. The Empire had covered up bigger things than that with far less effort, and really it would have been pretty trivial to obfuscate just what the Rebels stole or even to claim that the theft had been for nought.

Ok lets say Trump has Death star and knows Hillary is on the planet... Let me guess what will he do,,,, Tarkins motivation looks very clear to me, hes not a supervilain hes a spitefull politician.