Sign in to follow this  
VaeVictis

Rogue One Discussion Thread

To be fair, Krennic was planning on flying around on the Death Star. On a similar note, did anyone else get the feeling that Tarkin destroyed Scarif, not only to potentially stop the rebels, but to also get rid of Krennic?

Yes, he did.

In reality.. because merchandising. In u universe, experimental or prototype due to being a research base etcetc.

Actually, it's a narrative shorthand. It may by an ugly PoS, but once you associate it with Krennik in the opening, any shot of it signifies Krennik is there, without needing a separate "here's me traveling" scene.

Its the same way we all instantly reconized the Ghost the monment we saw it- VCXs may be theoretically a dime a dozen, but the only one that actually shows up is the Heros, so we know the cast of Rebels is at the battle of Skarif without distracting the people who dont watch disney with a blatant cameo like R2/3p0 got.

One missed opportunity from this movie was showing why exactly the rebels keep bringing their medium transports into major battles.

They must have at least a few guns to make them worthwhile but it's hard to say as you don't see them doing anything in either RO or ROTJ.

I assume you don't play Armada?

Or even Epic. The GR75 is a darn good support ship.

To be fair, Krennic was planning on flying around on the Death Star. On a similar note, did anyone else get the feeling that Tarkin destroyed Scarif, not only to potentially stop the rebels, but to also get rid of Krennic?

Yeah, I think know Tarkin saw a very real benefit of cementing the Death Star as "his".

In Chirrut's "intro fight", am I crazy, or could you see bits of Stormtroopers helmet fly off when he beat one in the head with it. I'm about 80 percent I saw that.

I saw that as well. Another thing that came to mind any time he engaged Stormtroopers with his staff was Kanan's line from the  Rebels episode "Stealth Strike" - "Argh, this armor doesn't protect you from anything!!!"

if you look at the lower left corner of the screen you can see Chopper in the shot. It's a bit out of focus but you can see the shape of his head and the dish antenna on top.

That could be any C1 series astromech though.  It's not necessarily Chopper.

True, it could be any C1P astromech. However, with the Ghost making an appearance in the space battle and General Syndulla being called on the PA system on Yavin 4, odds are very good that it was Chopper in the shot.

Here I might have thought that eliminating the opposition could be a primary reason for targeting Scarif and having the rebels there happily made it a justifiable excuse.  It seems to me at that point that the Empire had already "won" the battle in just about every way that matters except for the one that mattered and hitting the planet didn't stop that.

Only two things I disliked, both of them very minor.

1. Vader's pun. It just didn't fit him, and it was a bit too on-the-nose. I can't remember him being glib any other time aside from when he 'accepted' Admiral Veers' apology.

2. No Wilhelm scream. Its been in every other film, and I was a tad let down when it never happened.

I'm pretty worried that one day we will watch the films full of dead people. I mean, like Tarkin. Let's say, spin-off in 2030 between episode 4 and 5, with oryginal trio generated by computers. I think that in 20 year's time it will be impossible to distinguish them.

I really liked "I have bad feelings about this" being interrupted. I feel like it was meant to break the tradition and show how the movie is diffrent, that even the most classical line won't be able to be finished.

Wow.. they all.. died...

But the movie was amazing! The most epic thing I have seen in years! I only did not like Cassian and a few times the computer effects were not great - like the Lambda flying. Right now I can go and see it again!

And as I side joke: best part is - there is no way they will make a sequel to that so they can't ruin it. 

Well for me the big put down (besides the Katness Inspirational speech) was that the Rebels were always on the Offensive and not the other way around. I think taking the new rescued "recruits" to Yavin is both a tactical mistake and not thematic. IMHO the Base should have been on Dantooine and I was hoping for a Hoth style evacuation of the Rebel Base to Yavin 4. But oh well.

not to mention that the Tantive IV was at the very undiplomatic space battle at the end sort of kills the first movie in Leia saying she was on a diplomatic mission. Sorry Princess I saw your ship with the Rebel fleet and all the lasers firing.

Edited by Marinealver

not to mention that the Tantive IV was at the very undiplomatic space battle at the end sort of kills the first movie in Leia saying she was on a diplomatic mission. Sorry Princess I saw your ship with the Rebel fleet and all the lasers firing. 

One could even accuse her of being a part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor, right?

Cassian was rather well done I thought.

We have the idealistic-niave-lets change the world in a heartbeat Luke in IV. He gets a whole trilogy to develop his character. Cassian is a very different person.

He has been at this since age 6. He has done what 'had' to be done so many times he is almost forgetting g what 'should' be done.

In history we see many examples of the oppressed and brutalised becoming what they fight against and in R1 we see a rebellion struggling to avoid that.

A general giving almost Imperial like orders for the greater good, Cassian very clearly killing someone so they don't get captured and almost assassinating someone he knows doesn't deserve it.

We saw a darker grittier galaxy under Imperial oppression be t we also saw a more believable desperate Rebellion in response.

The more I think about the film, the more I am liking. My minor quibles are still there - it's not perfect but the good so far out weighs the bad as to make them almost trivial.

In Chirrut's "intro fight", am I crazy, or could you see bits of Stormtroopers helmet fly off when he beat one in the head with it. I'm about 80 percent I saw that.

No, you did. You can hear visors breaking as well.

Yeah, I think know Tarkin saw a very real benefit of cementing the Death Star as "his".

He did cement his standing as most evil of all SW characters. The cold calculating lawful evil, so much scarier than Palpatine's chaitic evil

He did cement his standing as most evil of all SW characters. The cold calculating lawful evil, so much scarier than Palpatine's chaitic evil

Always liked Tarkin in that way. Especially since reading Tarkin which gives some fleshing out to why he has the iron belief he does.

I totally agree, if Krennic wasn't on Scariff he'd have been happy to let the conventional forces finish the job they so clearly had in hand. But removing one of his few rivals was too good an opportunity to pass up.

Just saw it and my first impressions are:

: meh. I did not have high expectations. I did not think anyone would survive. The plot was a little slow and unsurprising for me.

: The action scenes were pretty good.

: hated cgi Tarkin and Lea. I like the cheracter development of Tarkin but if they couldn't nail the life likeness then should have reduced that story arc.

: Loved K 2SO

: LOVED THE BADASS VADER SCENE. Will watch it again for that one scene.

Over all I liked it more than the prequals but not ahead of eps 4-7

He has been at this since age 6. He has done what 'had' to be done so many times he is almost forgetting g what 'should' be done.

I really liked this part but thought the actor was too reserved in its delivery to give it emotional impact.

I think Daisy Ridley did a great job in TFA conveying real humanistic responses