Sign in to follow this  
VaeVictis

Rogue One Discussion Thread

Sorry if this has been mentioned...

Loved the movie (although it traumatised my seven year old daughter). But....

Why did the bad guy (in white) get a super sleek shuttle where the Emperor and Vader are willing to slum it in a normal Lambda Shuttle (so common that Luke has one as a toy) for their journeys.

He should have been in a Lambda!

Dad of the year ;) (Honestly, she might be a little freightened now, buy most likely she will have a great movie memory later, kids love being scared)

Luke's toy is not a lambda, but a T-16 skyhopper ;)

You can tell from what was cut that it isn't just footage they didn't use, it was an entirely different (maybe 2?) ending. Jyn running on the beach from the trailers, she has the plans with her. So they clearly got down again and onto the beach. And I think the Tie creeping up on her on the tower was originally how Krennic got up there/faced her down.

So I doubt we'll see them as a 'directors cut'. More just deleted/alternate scenes on the blu-ray special features.

The TIE vs Jyn scene was cut do to it being just moments after the AT-ACT scene. They both had the same payoff. The AT-ACT got hit with the failed rocket and just when it was about to fire back.... Boom. XWing. The same thing happened to the TIE. It points at Jyn, then.... Boom. XWing. I read it in an interview with Garath or Pablo. I forget. But I hope it makes it to the blu ray.

@Shuttle

I wouldn't write it off as merchandising - it actually has a reson to exist, an out-of-universe one.

When this shuttle is on screen you immediately know it's Orson Krennic. I don't think it's a bad choice, even tho the shuttle is even uglier than the oh sooo eeeevil Kylo's shuttle.

And Krennic having inflated ego (or not really? He was doing a good job (until the security breach), really watching the movie the second time I just see it's a really bad day (or a copule of days) for Krennic, he tries to do his job, achives a great success and then everything starts just falling apart, scene after scene he gets more desperate, at the top of the tower, when speaking with Jyn, Krennic is just broken... and then he sees the Death Star, his child, pointed directly at him, (literally, I noticed that when the superlaser fires it first vaporizes the top of the tower and then hits the planet behind it) feelsbadman.jpg And Ben Mendelsohn's acting is just spot on) and being a head of special weapons research, it is not that big of a stretch.

The message said that an explosion inside the reactor will initiate a chain reaction which will destroy the station. Not even a hint how he imagines the explosion to occur.

If he had no idea how they'd create the explosion, then what would they need the plans for? If he didn't know about the exhaust port weakness, then telling them to steal the plans is pointless. He's already told them that an explosion in the reactor will destroy the entire station, if he doesn't know that there's a way to get an explosion TO the reactor in the plans, why bother telling them to steal the plans?!
If he knew exactly what they need to do he could just copied the relevant part of the plans (ie the trech) onto his pendrive, not make them do an extremely dangerous mission to retrieve the plans and then make them go through immense ammount of data with not even a hint of what should they look for.

He doesn't know how to cause the explosion, he doesn't know what assets are available for the Alliance, he hopes they will find a way. Just use your imagination, the most obvious way to detonate something inside the Death Star would be an infiltration, either by spies/saboteurs, ninja special ops or just a desperate full frontal assault. 

Obviously if the Empire intercepted Erso's message they would doublecheck everything he has done (and unlike rebels they knew exactly which parts he was responsible for) and would find the weakness faster than the Rebels.

Right...but obviously the point was NOT for the Empire to also intercept the message. Which they didn't. Hence why the Rebellion found the weakness he created, and the Empire didn't.

My point exactly, he just as well could have told them about the secondary exhaust port, if hus message got intercepted it wouldn't matter if it was specific or not.

EDIT Saw the movie in 2D on a smaller screen and Tarkin was much more believable, still not perfect, but he looked really good in some scenes and kinda off in others. Leia was spot on, but her screen time is not comparable.

Edited by eMeM

I liked the movie and I suspect that I will like it even more as I see it a second time to see all the details that I missed.  Tarkin, both as a CGI character and the way that he was written, felt really spot on.

The line that made me laugh the hardest was when they put the bags on their heads: "Really?  Are you serious?  I'm blind!"

I wouldn't write it off as merchandising - it actually has a reson to exist, an out-of-universe one.

When this shuttle is on screen you immediately know it's Orson Krennic.

They could have achieved the same effect just by giving him, like, a black Lambda to go with his black stormtroopers.

If he knew exactly what they need to do he could just copied the relevant part of the plans (ie the trech) onto his pendrive, not make them do an extremely dangerous mission to retrieve the plans

Yeah, but then you wouldn't have a movie.

That was a great line.  I also loved K-2SO's "And there's a fresh one if you mouth off again."

My favorite was the incredulous "Did you know that wasn't me?!!" line.
Obviously K had all the best lines.

About the only one that wasn't his was Chirrut's "Really? I'm blind." when they put the bag over his head.

Edited by DarthEnderX

One thing I was expecting was for Jyn to give the kyber crystal she carried to the Jedha monk and reveal his staff was actually a lightstaff.

I'm glad they didn't though in the end. I was worried they would 'sell out' and have him reveal a saber at some point. I also thought he would use the force near the end on the switch, but again they had the courage to pull back and just let it be a faith thing, rather than a force-user reveal.

And on Krennic's black shuttle, he DID have it 15 years prior to the main portion of the film. So maybe the Lambda is a 'newer' model and he just kept his post-Clone Wars model through the years.

Edited by InterceptorMad

One thing I was expecting was for Jyn to give the kyber crystal she carried to the Jedha monk and reveal his staff was actually a lightstaff.

I was honestly expecting the fact that she wore a lightsaber crystal around her neck to have SOME significance. But it never did. Other than it drawing Chirrut's attention.

I wouldn't write it off as merchandising - it actually has a reson to exist, an out-of-universe one.When this shuttle is on screen you immediately know it's Orson Krennic.

They could have achieved the same effect just by giving him, like, a black Lambda to go with his black stormtroopers. 

If he knew exactly what they need to do he could just copied the relevant part of the plans (ie the trech) onto his pendrive, not make them do an extremely dangerous mission to retrieve the plans

Yeah, but then you wouldn't have a movie
Oh, but I have the movie, one in which Erso doesn't know about the exhaust port so this plothole doesn't exist. :P

Oh, but I have the movie, one in which Erso doesn't know about the exhaust port so this plothole doesn't exist. :P

I guess. I feel like your interpretation makes it MORE of a plothole, not less.

It makes far more sense to me for Erso to have designed ALL aspects of the weakness than for him to have developed only PART of the weakness, and it just so happens the other Imperial technicians were just incompetent enough to make a strait shaft from the surface to the core.

Edited by DarthEnderX

The torpedoes can do very sharp turns so it doesn't matter if it was straigth or not.

It was a minor design flaw because it required two Jedi, one of them dead and one a pilot in a fast fighter, still resulted in 90% Rebels KIA, and would never happen if Tarkin got at least 2% of his available fighters in the air.

Edited by eMeM

When this shuttle is on screen you immediately know it's Orson Krennic.

I think the bigger point is that Vader and the Emperor only ever used their shuttles briefly.  IE., Vader was tooling around in his Star Destroyer, Super Star Destroyer, or personal fighter.  He only got into the shuttle to jump from one ship to another.

Ditto the Emperor, with his Star Destroyers or various Palaces.

In Orson Krennic's case, that shuttle was all he had.  So...maybe it is a bit 'better' than a Lambda-class, but it's also not a Death Star or Star Destroyer...

I guess. I feel like your interpretation makes it MORE of a plothole, not less.It makes far more sense to me for Erso to have designed ALL aspects of the weakness than for him to have developed only PART of the weakness, and it just so happens the other Imperial technicians were just incompetent enough to make a strait shaft from the surface to the core.

This.

This seemed obvious to me.

Awesome movie. Really enjoyed it. I'm old enough to have seen the original SW in the cinema when I was 9. I still remember bouncing around the back seat jumping up and down on the drive home from that (no back seat belts in that car back then), so this took me back to that feeling so very much.