Sign in to follow this  
balindamood

Scyk fixed?

I think Syck is fixed enough to be a filler ship with other highly competitive ships. Not fixed enough to be the focus, or center of a competitive list. So not unlike many other ships.

Agreed on this one. It's now up to the level of 'solid filler', and that filler comes in a variety of configurations.

The basic hull still wants a patch, one day... but honestly, that's too much to ask at this point. Look at the TIE Interceptor: The pilot changes, but their builds are almost exactly the same. The same could be said for a great many of the small-based ships at this point; if this is a pity then we probably want to rethink just what that actually means.

Personally I think the "Heavy" title amendment is a precursor to a serious addition. For example. I strongly believe that there is going to be a Scum Epic ship and the small base ship it comes with will be a Syck in Tansanarii point colours (maybe even the one with elongated tips?) and a multitude of titles.

For example, I reckon we are going to see a "Light" Syck title as well as a faction Syck like "Black Sun" title or something along those lines. I believe this because if they released another two or three titles for the Syck Interceptor to make it the true pirates choice for modification, any title would render the "Heavy" completely pointless. By adding the extra hull, it at least still has a place.

"Light" - Point reduction

"Heavy" - Hull increase and weapon of choice

"Black Sun" - Adds illicit slot

"Car'das" - Adds boost

Would also perhaps help if they released Syck specific weapons:

"Light Ion Cannons" - 1 point - Adds the ion effect to your primary weapon

"Twin-Linked Laser Cannon" - When attacking with a primary weapon, you may re-roll one blank result.

The above would see it a viable option for a Scum swarm, which is thematic at least.

I've forgotten all the Scyk fixes (or was it sick fixes) I had for Scyks in campaign mode.  But they were similar to what a lot of folks have said: illicit, boost, Scyk only weapons.  I think I had one that turned that last shield to hull and gave illicit and point reduction -2...it's really a tie fighter with TL and illicit at that point and that's where I think the "light" title should probably start.

I'm also always for this modification for pretty much every generic ship:

Production model: -2pts, you may not equip any other upgrade cards to this ship.  You may not equip this card if your PS is 4 or higher.

Actually, reference cards make far more sense than auto-include titles for rules-heavy ships.

X-Wing 2.0 should have each ship as a reference card, and then each pilot's card could indicate which ships that pilot can fly.  This would easily allow cross-ship (and even cross-faction) pilots, and even better for design, any re-balancing of ships could involve changing the reference card (as well as non-auto-include upgrades), since reference cards are printed (and updated) in the FAQ.

Sorry but that is Attack Wing and believe me, you don't want that.

Also, take any TIE Fighter Pilot and put them in a X7 Defender and see how fun that gets.

Night Beast: Now it has focus and two evades on a green.

Dark Curse? Good luck.

Mauler? Enjoy your five dice.

Oooo...Omega Leader in a Phantom.

Edited by kris40k

If I was going to do anything I would go with a Light Scyk title for 0pts that did something like.. when you perform a bank you may use the turn template.. It would give if a bit of a reposition, and make the dial a bit more forgiving. It would also help it compete a bit better with a -2 cost titled A-Wing. At the moment both have no missile slots. But the A-Wing get an awful lot better dial and 1 extra shield for 1pt more.

But definitely not an Illicit.

Edited by Rodent Mastermind

Imo, the Syck had always been "close" to being good. A lot of it is waiting for the right upgrades and support ships (and right meta) to really have it make sense. When it came out, Scum just didnt have enough other ships to let the Syck do what it needs to do.

Attani Mindlink is probably the #1 contributer :P

Heavy Scyk is great.

Vanilla Scyk is primed and ready for a 2nd title that gives it a different characteristic than the Heavy...

...many people have suggested a "Light" version, and since the Striker got something similar to an ability I had recently proposed for the Scyk, I'll offer a new one:

Title: "Zicx Squadron" (lifted the name from another of my previous suggestions that had the same intent as the Swarm Leader card)

Add the Boost icon to your Upgrade Bar.

After performing a Boost Action, you may perform a free Evade action.

Light Scyk

-2 points

May not equip modifications. When you execute a 3, 4 or 5 speed maneuver assign 1 evade token to your ship.

(wording allows for Light Scyk to take 2 evade tokens per turn)

Light Scyk

-2 points

May not equip modifications. When you execute a 3, 4 or 5 speed maneuver assign 1 evade token to your ship.

I was thinking the same thing, or this

-2 points

You cannot equip modifications, your agility is increased by 1 and both K turns are considered white maneuvers.

Light Scyk

-2 points

In other words, a "Scyk X7" :P

I agree, a free Evade token feels right - it should be a slippery little ship to try and get a bead on...

...but I don't think just duplicating another ships title is FFG's style (though they often re-purpose Pilot skills into more generic upgrades, or vice-versa, with slight variations).

I'd prefer something like "after performing a bank or turn maneuver" to emphasis a more jinking style rather than flat-out speed (which an unmod'ed Scyk doesn't really have).

Contagious Scykness, Title, 0 points:

"If, while defending, you roll zero evade results, the attacker is (also) destroyed."

Dead Man's Scyk: when you draw a Direct Hit as a result of an attack, the attacker must look through their damage deck, select a Direct Hit card and deal it faceup to their ship, then reshuffle the deck.

I think I would disagree that it is fixed, especially without the title.  In every Regional there's always a list or two, or ship, that gets in due to being something underestimated which opponents aren't familiar flying against.  Serissu in West Virginia almost single handedly won the first time two top table played each other because it was largely ignored, and an HLC is an HLC.  In the final match it was the first ship destroyed and killed easily with extreme prejudice.  My opinion is that the gimmick of a Scyk on the table attributed to much of it's success, but doesn't have the action economy other similarly pointed ships would have.  A survivable Serissu build is over 30 points to start, which is a lot for an Ace without autothrusters.  It's already difficult to justify taking a small base Scum anyways with how good their large based ships are.

Yes and no. While this Serissu build was a hefty 33 points, she has some action economy and if needed, and would typically be sitting on an evade plus stealth device for four greens and four HP. That's fairly hard to shift quickly most of the time and Fenn is hard to ignore in the meantime. That said, I think your assessment is spot on in the case of the K-wings. 

Actually, reference cards make far more sense than auto-include titles for rules-heavy ships.

X-Wing 2.0 should have each ship as a reference card, and then each pilot's card could indicate which ships that pilot can fly.  This would easily allow cross-ship (and even cross-faction) pilots, and even better for design, any re-balancing of ships could involve changing the reference card (as well as non-auto-include upgrades), since reference cards are printed (and updated) in the FAQ.

Also, take any TIE Fighter Pilot and put them in a X7 Defender and see how fun that gets.

Dark Curse? Good luck.

Could you imagine the look on your opponent's face when you five dice him, then tell him he can't modify his defence because you are Omega Leader . .

Or even Epsilon Ace, happy PS12 Phantom everybody!

TBH I don't think they want the Scyk to be the super spamable Tie equivalent, that is kind of the Z-95 job. So I'm not sure about the -2 cost on them. Bringing them up a bit manoeuvrability wise so they sit just below the A-Wing would be my aim, seeing as a base A-Wing with -2 cost title is 15pt, and a base Scyk is 14pts.

It's really too bad they gave them the missile slot.  It would have been nice if the Scyk was the torpedo carrier and Z the missile toter.

Outside of titles there just isn't room to adjust or niche it out without Scyk only stuff.

I have similar worries about the generic strikers.  With no inherent upgrade slots and a title in the box already it has no room for adjustment later.  The scyk is "worse off" because it's already a choice between Z and scyk naked or Kfighter and Scyk if you cannon and title up.  Neither of those are exactly tearing up the competitive scene themselves.  The scyk likely is pretty solid where it is if anyone outside of the Leech in mindlink was used for Zs, any K was useful, and any Starviper was competitive (guri is so close)...

There's a lot wrong with the Scyk and not all of it is the Scyks fault.  

Dark Curse? Good luck.

I'd be more afraid of Soontir in a Defender with X-7 title... lets see, 4 forward, free evade, action (we'll say TL), PTL a barrel roll (now stressed) and gain focus. 4 actions a round as long as he can clear his stress..... with as much evade as he always had. Might want engine though for the extra mobility or.... Tie 2 engines, for all the extra green.... (10 greens....) cost wise, not all that far away from Rex, has to be stressed to gain his focus (penalty - gain) whereas Braths ability spends to flip damage (more situational but also potentially fatal to the target).

Edited by boomaster

3/4 pilots have made good showings recently. What else is there to fix?

Give Laetin an EPT then all will be well

I think Laetin with an EPT would be ridiculously good.

Yup. He would be killer with mindlink. Focus+Evade every round plus extra evade if he dodges. Give him HLC and throw him in a manaroo aces list. TL+focu+evade with 4 dice attack....i wanna cry....oh what might have been.

3/4 pilots have made good showings recently. What else is there to fix?

Give Laetin an EPT then all will be well

I think Laetin with an EPT would be ridiculously good.

Yup. He would be killer with mindlink. Focus+Evade every round plus extra evade if he dodges. Give him HLC and throw him in a manaroo aces list. TL+focu+evade with 4 dice attack....i wanna cry....oh what might have been.