Sign in to follow this  
droz69

Hrm. So what ships can they bring to the table with waves 11 and 12?

Curious what the thoughts are for new ships in the next two waves.

There are a good number of 'Legends' options, but it seems that Disney is forcing FFG to stay in the Canon now. So what are your thoughts for what they can bring to the table now with future waves for the Imp and Rebel factions.

There will always be room for new scum, so more interested in the main factions.

I don't think this is right at all.  I doubt Disney have any interest in FFG beyond a nice (and very, VERY minor) uptick on the financial spreadsheets.  I mean, we're talking about a license owned by a subsidiary, held by a company over whom Disney has literally no management responsibility.  LFL is the gatekeeper/approver of X-Wing products, and even they're not averse to EU stuff, vis the Rogue Squadron content that came out for Armada in the campaign box.  And, you know, Imperial Veterans what, 10 months ago?

I suspect that the reason we're not seeing more EU stuff is simply because FFG (probably quite rightly) think there's more sales in stuff from the movies and TV shows.

I find it hard to fault them for that, even if I would like to see some EU stuff get some love.

Honestly, I think it's a good idea for everyone involved if they cater to the new series for a while. There are parables seen in other venues of gaming. Take Wizards of the Coast. Though their 4th Edition was much maligned by many of the older gamers, it fulfilled the very important duty of being a first system for a bunch of people who otherwise would not have gotten into the hobby at all, because it functioned much like the MMORPG games they loved. By having that influx of consumers into the fanbase, it allowed WotC to bank on better returns in the future and invest in more ventures that they might otherwise have not been able to risk. Table top RPGs as a whole were better off thanks to 4E, even if a sect of the fandom disliked it. And for those that hated it? We now have 5e, AND a whole new swath of TT gamers. Win/win in the long run. So if having a bunch of new ships from the show gets a bunch of kids/players into the game, and they enjoy it, then they will be more receptive to the ships from old stuff they never heard of, and may even in turn be motivated to investigate that Legends stuff. And if they do, who knows? Maybe that will mean there's a whole new market for Legends stuff too, meaning you get more stuff for that universe. Win/win.

Personally I'd like to see a re-boot of the game, a version 2.0 to streamline the game and iron out the kinks. And then I'd like to see them release narrative campaign packs that would include a range of scenarios and upgrades, and would include a couple of the ships featured in the campaign.

Disney is making yet another mistake ignoring the legend ships for this game. So many vessels would be a hell of a lot better then yet one more Tie Fighter or A-wing.

I disagree about adding more Legends ships. The brand is the most important part of this game, and no one but the most die-hard fans recognised any of the current EU ships and no one but the most die-hard fans would recognise any new ones. I've been a Star Wars fan for life, and had never even heard of the scyk, the K Wing, the YT2400, the Decimator, the Kirhaxz, Starviper, etc. Adding too many of these ships makes it hard for the game to attract new followers because all they see on the table or on the shelf is random space ships they don't recognise.

FFG would be much better served by making ships from the new canon, and revisiting old ships if they NEED to release something.

I disagree about adding more Legends ships. The brand is the most important part of this game, and no one but the most die-hard fans recognised any of the current EU ships and no one but the most die-hard fans would recognise any new ones. I've been a Star Wars fan for life, and had never even heard of the scyk, the K Wing, the YT2400, the Decimator, the Kirhaxz, Starviper, etc. Adding too many of these ships makes it hard for the game to attract new followers because all they see on the table or on the shelf is random space ships they don't recognise.

FFG would be much better served by making ships from the new canon, and revisiting old ships if they NEED to release something.

I'd debate on the "die-hard" ness of Fans who recognize that ship. I don't know what numbers are for say Star Wars Galaxies or Star Wars: Empire At War (and the expansion), but this was a source for a decent number of those ships which could easily be recognized by probably very large numbers of people, at least casually. And the 2400 got some decent hype, it's design was even put in ANH I think? And now it's been on Rebels for a retroactive recognition. The most obscure were probably the K-Wing and Punisher, but those were picked by FFG for their roles (I/E, upgrade slots) more than anything. And even then, they got approved. While recognition is important, it also goes the other way - there are lots of people who don't watch Rebels, for example, because they don't have time or don't care for it or just don't know much about it other than it airs on a channel generally aimed at children. They don't get anything out of a Shadowcaster or Fang Fighter pack, those ships showed up in singular episodes of 20 minutes in length. The important thing is the big STAR WARS logo under it. You can't get into X-Wing with just expansion packs anyway, and Core Sets are still pretty recognizable. 

That said, "Disney" isn't making any mistakes. They probably don't directly interact with FFG or any license holders, that's all Lucasfilm Licensing (LFL) they do all the talking up the chain and review and approve all the stuff companies like FFG put to print, and they let them use quite some stuff. Even if FFG doesn't count as a canonical source, the guys in charge of canonical sourcing said "yeah, this is fine to print". That said, free marketing is free marketing. You take something from the screen, make it work, you can sell it. 

I still want my Snowspeeders, T-16, and Bespin Cloud Car ...

People oversell the TIE Striker. It's clearly shown in the art and described as space-capable, it's just a vessel optimized to fight in atmosphere. 

I'd like to see the Crimson Corsair's ship the Meson Martinet from the Force Awakens. As far as I know we only know what the back looks like, when Finn is about to get in. The Crimson Corsair sounds like a tough dude, and we need more freighters!

Personally I'd like to see a re-boot of the game, a version 2.0 to streamline the game and iron out the kinks. And then I'd like to see them release narrative campaign packs that would include a range of scenarios and upgrades, and would include a couple of the ships featured in the campaign.

I'm fairly sure that once the ship well starts to dry up, or maybe at a time where they feel there is too much stuff out there and they need a break from new abilities and rules being added, they'll go this route. And I for one would like to see that. 

Also keep in mind Disney is planing several spin off movies, such as the New Han Solo origin movie. I'm sure these movies will provide plenty of opurtunity for new ships.

I really wouldn't mind if they made more refresh packs like aces or veterans. I love messing around with the ships and unfortnatly every seems geared to the meta, but what I wanna do is more thematic battles.

I would also like some more clone wars era stuff

I think wave XI is our best chance for legends material for the foreseeable future. There really is a dearth of good options. Remember that FFG has a roughly 18 month lag between beginning the design process for a wave and releasing it. Even assuming there's a 9-12 month lag between deciding what to make and the fort announcements, that means eleven was probably started at least 6-9 months ago. I don't think there were too many prominent new canon options open at that time (even the Phantom replacement wasn't officially around then, though I'm sure the Rebels showrunners knew it was happening - whether that information as shared is an open question). At a stretch, you could build a wave out of the mining guild TIE for scum, rebel B Wing transport for Rebels and... Maybe the Imperial cargo shuttle, or the sentinel troop lander for Imps, but is that a wave FFG wants to release? Yet another non fiction TIE, a second Imperial shuttle in a row (and third for the faction), and an (effectively) non-combat transport? I doubt it.

Given that wave 12 will have Episode 8 stuff, and from then on who knows, FFG might see this as their last foreseeable chance to get the really popular legends stuff into the game. I'm crossing my fingers for a Gunboat, Skipray, Cloakshape etc.

One interesting point that might prove relevant to the above however. Consider the recent starfighter reveal in Rebels (I wont spoil it, but you all know what I mean if you watch the show). Consider also the YT-2400 that showed up a couple of weeks ago. Rebels seems to be mining the EU for the best, most well realised ships from the old EU and bringing them into the new canon. That seems likely to continue. What happens if the new ships they choose to introduce over the next few years are things like the HWK-290, Jumpmaster 5000, TIE Phantom etc.? LFL could canonise a bunch of ships without actually giving anything new to the game whatsoever.

The comics are considered canon, so maybe some of the stuff from there will make an appearance? I can't think of any new ships, but there are some awesome characters to use, like Dr. Aphra, Beetee, Triple-Zero, and Black Krrsantan (who is basically already in as Gunner.)

Edited by StriderZessei

I am fairly certain wave XI will have the Gauntlet Fighter (the Mandalorian ship Maul uses) and the Phantom II.

Super looking forward to a Gauntlet Fighter, to be honest. I really hope it jives well with flying Fangs with it. Probably have Maul, Gar Saxon, and Bo-Katan Kryze as the named pilots. Maul should definitely have a crew card too. Maybe a Nightbrother title?

The Phantom II might be fun. If they're grabbing what ever pilots they can, a rebel Fenn Rau might be interesting. Probably also have Chopper as another named pilot, plus an actual astromech slot version of him. Maybe a title so it too can dock with the Ghost?

Not sure what the Imp ship will be.

The only reason why I'm not dead certain the Gauntlet is coming to X-Wing is because despite the fact that somebody in Lucasfilm decided to call it a fighter, the Gauntlet is longer and wider than even the Ghost by a large margin. Even with some wiggle room the ship is way too long to be a manageable miniature but still probably pretty shy of Epic size. Otherwise the design is all over the place in the new canon - it's even mentioned in stuff leading up to the TFA era. It just has a t-section which is sourced at ~50 meters long and ~50 meters wide.