Sign in to follow this  
J Viz

A-wing fun

Hi guys

Looking to try out some a-wing fun in the next few regionals as no matter what I run at the moment I seem to get flattened by defenders so may as well run my favourite little ships while it happens.

The foundation of any list is Jake at 33 points.

Jake Farrell

PTL

VI

Prockets

Title

Autothrusters

For the Tycho build still want to use Autothrusters due to the amount of TLT's that seem to be reappearing. This leaves me with:

PTL

Prockets

Title

Autothrusters

For the second elite which would you guys think would work best:

Rage - as he doesn't give a monkeys about the stress is effectively a target lock and focus for one action

Expert Handling - gives extra ability to dodge ships arcs and in a Vessery heavy meta can also drop a target lock.

I guess there may be an argument for using vectored thrusters instead of auto thrusters to allow him to barrel roll out of arcs but unless anyone has a good reason to chose it over AT's it is likely to stay on the side lines.

This is likely to leave 31-32 points which I have lined up for either:

1. 2 Prototype blockers at 15 pts each - just there to be a pain and to try to drop on the line of the defenders 4k turns.

2. Gemmer w/PTL, prockets and AT's - normally focus and evade each time and be hard to kill whilst letting off prockets when possible, PS5 so could get initiative over Ryad

3. Arvel w/ PTL, prockets and AT's - just for the fun of having him parked in front of someone at higher PS who then pumps and then oops, you're getting prockets!

Anyone tried any similar lists or got any ideas on the best way to go. My normal is Jake, Rage Tycho and Gemmer although against higher PS ships Gemmer does really struggle to get a shot off. Never really used arvel but could be fun.

And one last thing - intimidation on arvel instead of PTL - bad idea due to his highish PS?

Thanks and sorry for the really quite long post

Daredevil.  The answer is always Daredevil on Tycho.  It requires EI over AT, but then the point becomes "who cares about TLTs because i can come from out of range into R1 in 1 turn" (and do it consistently). Note, learning how to fly Psycho Tycho took a TON of time, it's not something you just pick up and play once and get 90% of the nuances right.

This puts you at 29 points... I would suggest dropping VI on Jake to Adapt (make him a PS8 to match Tycho), and then go with 2 prototype blockers.  3 A wings, even if they're all equipped with Prockets, aren't that deadly.

Daredevil.  The answer is always Daredevil on Tycho.  It requires EI over AT, but then the point becomes "who cares about TLTs because i can come from out of range into R1 in 1 turn" (and do it consistently). Note, learning how to fly Psycho Tycho took a TON of time, it's not something you just pick up and play once and get 90% of the nuances right.

This puts you at 29 points... I would suggest dropping VI on Jake to Adapt (make him a PS8 to match Tycho), and then go with 2 prototype blockers.  3 A wings, even if they're all equipped with Prockets, aren't that deadly.

I really like PS9 Jake to make him more effective against someone like Whisper who does still appear in my local area. I tried Daredevil Tycho but never really got on with it. Mostly due to only using him a couple of times and not getting the nuances right at all.

As an advocate of A and E Wings everywhere have you managed to get an A and E wing list to work?

I once dropped a full health Vader with A Procket. He had lost actions to a stress, then rolled bad.

I've done the same to Soontir with a non-procket GSP, is always great fun when that happens.

I really like PS9 Jake to make him more effective against someone like Whisper who does still appear in my local area. I tried Daredevil Tycho but never really got on with it. Mostly due to only using him a couple of times and not getting the nuances right at all.

As an advocate of A and E Wings everywhere have you managed to get an A and E wing list to work?

I once dropped a full health Vader with A Procket. He had lost actions to a stress, then rolled bad.

I've done the same to Soontir with a non-procket GSP, is always great fun when that happens.

Yup.  I took Psycho Tycho and 46pt Corran, coupled with a prototype blocker to several decent showings, including a 5-1 at Ohio regional (but missing the top 8 cut due to MOV), and a top16 finish at Gencon 2015, losing to the same guy that beat me in swiss (Jake+Han, double weakness of turret + dual PS9, each individually was a counter, together they're a hard counter).

I do like the Han/Jake build. I'm currently experimenting with 48pt Corran and 2 PTL/Juke/AT a-wings. Not a high damage list but not the easiest to take down if there aren't any slicer tools about