Sign in to follow this  
Khyrith

Let's Spec out the Rogues!

Hi folks.   Apologize if this is posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything like it.

I thought that it might be fun to frame what we know of the new Rogue One heroes in FFG SW terms.   I THINK that they might be a mix of rebels (AoR) and freelancers (EotE).  Which makes for all kinds of goodness in seeing them as an RPG crew.  I will also admit upfront that my group has not played an AOR campaign (yet), but that I've perused the rulebooks. 

I'll start the thread using what I've read in various fan mags.  I have NOT seen the premier or anything other than what is out there in media.

Jyn Erso - human female.  Thief (Smuggler) who is then recruited into the rebels as an Infiltrator (Spy).

Cassian Andor - human male.  Analyst (Diplomat) to account for his standing as an intelligence agent with a probable dip into Recruit for combat skills.   His co-leadership of the group suggests perhaps Figurehead (Commander).

Saw Gerrara - human male.  Mercenary Soldier (Hired Gun), as it appears he is allied with the rebels (by cause) but not part of the organization (because of his methods).

Chirrut Imwe - human male.  Force Sensitive Emergent (to account for his alignment to the rebel cause) or Exile (because it appears he is only a recent joiner).   I don't think I would go so far as to say he's an F&D spec, but maybe a Marauder (Hired Gun) as well - to account for his melee prowess.

Baze Malbus - human male.  Heavy (Hired Gun).  I'd go that way, more so than the AoR spec, because I see him as a freelancer brought on to the team, more so than a true rebel.

Bodhi Rook - human male.  Pilot (Ace).   He's a former Imp pilot working for the rebels.

K-2SO - security droid.  This one is hard.  A former Imp (read: military) enforcer.   I prob would not see him as an "enforcer" in EotE terms, but perhaps a Vanguard (Soldier) from AoR.

Galen Erso - human male.  Scientist (Engineer).   "THAT was easy" - LOL.

I am not wedded to any of this.  Just looking to see the canon ficition through the narrative lens of the RPG.  Turning it back to the community for your thoughts. 

May the Force be with You,

- GM Khyrith

As they've stated that Chirrut isn't force sensitive, he just believes in the power of the living force. I'd probably lean towards classifying him as a Martial Artist (depending on what the BH spec looks like) so barring that, then either an Maurader or Enforcer
"He's spiritual, not religious" is how my friends defined him.

As they've stated that Chirrut isn't force sensitive, he just believes in the power of the living force. I'd probably lean towards classifying him as a Martial Artist (depending on what the BH spec looks like) so barring that, then either an Maurader or Enforcer

He's also blind. So FS is a sace bet.

From Entertainment Weekly (admittedly not a Lucasfilm source):

Donnie Yen on Chirrut: "He's not a Jedi, but he's connected with the Force."

and...

"Chirrut... is not a Jedi but is devoted to their ways."

So, that makes me think either FS Exile (from EotE) or FS Emergent (from AoR).   And yeah, he's blind but seemingly able to fight without penalty - which suggests removing setback dice...

JYN, I would say, is a Smuggler/Scoundrel. I think any number of builds could work for her, but her combat style seems to lean toward getting the drop on people and hitting hard and fast. Add in some solid but not spectacular "face" skills, and to me, that says something well-rounded and flexible, like the Scoundrel.

CASSIAN - Bounty Hunter/Assassin, based on the skills be demonstrates: Ranged (Heavy), and, to a lesser extent, Ranged (Light), Pilot (Space), and Streetwise. Although he's a soldier, the bad things he's done for a good cause are key to his character (and, indeed, the story as a whole).

CHIRRUT is a Force Sensitive Exile (to me, the Emergent is too much about Stealth). I'm not sure what the base career would be, but key skills seem to be Melee, Perception, and Cool.

BAZE is probably the easiest of the lot - Hired Gun/Heavy.

BODHI - Ace/Pilot is probably the way to go, although it seemed to me that he actually spent almost as much time doing general tech stuff as he did flying around. Pilot, Astrogation, Mechanics, Computers... what build gets you that?

K-2SO is tough because he has a wide range of skills - Melee, Ranged (Light), a bit of Piloting, definitely Computers... The fact that he's a strategy droid means, I think, Knowledge (Warfare) and Vigilance.

JYN, I would say, is a Smuggler/Scoundrel. I think any number of builds could work for her, but her combat style seems to lean toward getting the drop on people and hitting hard and fast. Add in some solid but not spectacular "face" skills, and to me, that says something well-rounded and flexible, like the Scoundrel.

CASSIAN - Bounty Hunter/Assassin, based on the skills be demonstrates: Ranged (Heavy), and, to a lesser extent, Ranged (Light), Pilot (Space), and Streetwise. Although he's a soldier, the bad things he's done for a good cause are key to his character (and, indeed, the story as a whole).

CHIRRUT is a Force Sensitive Exile (to me, the Emergent is too much about Stealth). I'm not sure what the base career would be, but key skills seem to be Melee, Perception, and Cool.

BODHI - Ace/Pilot is probably the way to go, although it seemed to me that he actually spent almost as much time doing general tech stuff as he did flying around. Pilot, Astrogation, Mechanics, Computers... what build gets you that?

K-2SO is tough because he has a wide range of skills - Melee, Ranged (Light), a bit of Piloting, definitely Computers... The fact that he's a strategy droid means, I think, Knowledge (Warfare) and Vigilance.

Cassian - I see him as an official member of the Alliance, so I was leaning toward an AoR spec.  I misunderstood his archetype when the pre-movie information couched him as an "intelligence officer" - I didn't realize they meant a James Bond / Ethan Hunt type of "intelligence officer".  After seeing the movie, some sort of Spy class - definitely Spy-Infiltrator and perhaps one yet to come (in the Spy splatbook) that has assassin flavor.   But maybe he has a background in freelance bounty hunting before he joined the rebels (he says he's been fighting for 20 years).

Chirrut - I think his melee abilities come from Hired Gun - Marauder; it would make sense that he and Blaze are both Hired Guns (freelancers) outside of the official rebel ranks.

Bodhi - Ace-Rigger from AoR has a techie focus.

Cassian - I see him as an official member of the Alliance, so I was leaning toward an AoR spec.  I misunderstood his archetype when the pre-movie information couched him as an "intelligence officer" - I didn't realize they meant a James Bond / Ethan Hunt type of "intelligence officer".  After seeing the movie, some sort of Spy class - definitely Spy-Infiltrator and perhaps one yet to come (in the Spy splatbook) that has assassin flavor.   But maybe he has a background in freelance bounty hunting before he joined the rebels (he says he's been fighting for 20 years).

Chirrut - I think his melee abilities come from Hired Gun - Marauder; it would make sense that he and Blaze are both Hired Guns (freelancers) outside of the official rebel ranks.

Bodhi - Ace-Rigger from AoR has a techie focus.

Yeah I definitely go with this.  

Considering Cassian's "I been in this war since I was 6!" line, he is definitely one of AoR's specs, and I would go Spy too considering his actions.  

Chirrut and Baze, yep again, makes sense actually them both being Hired Guns, with Chirrut having branched out into one of the Force Sensitive specs.  

Bodhi, I am not that knowledgeable about the Ace career or its specs but from what you have said about Rigger it sounds like the best spec for him, but I would not give him the Pilot spec.  Reason being, while he is military (and therefore has an AoR career which are all military), he appears to have been a cargo or shuttle pilot and not a TIE fighter pilot, and you never see him performing any fancy aerial acrobatics you would get with Pilot.  So yeah, Rigger sounds about right.

Here is my take:

Jyn: smuggler/scoundrel + marauder to account for her well rounded combat and social skills and the melee abilities she displays.

Chirrut: Hired gun/Marauder + Force Sensitive Exile (maybe also dabbled a bit in infiltrator to improve his melee skills) with  well developed Sense and Foresee powers 

Baze: Hired gun/Heavy with the Last One Standing Signature Ability (or a very high gunnery skill to activate autofire many times)

Bodhi: considering the mechnics skills he shows and the shuttle pilot background i would peg him as a Ace/Driver with a heavy investment in mechnics and more mechanic related talents than flying one(he doesn't seem to me dedicated enough to modding to be a rigger). He claims to have flown regularly in the awful weather of Eadu so he should have some decent flying skills anyway.  

Cassian: despite the intelligence officer role he seems to have more of a soldier background than an infiltrator (ie better at shooting than beating up), so i would see him as a Soldier/Commando + Sharpshooter (to account for the sniping in bad weather skills). May also have dabbled in the tactician tree as he seems to be able command his soldier well and devise aplan on the spot without problems.

K2: this is tricky but i'd say an enforcer/scholar maybe (or analyst) to account for both his computing and slicing skills and his demeanor. More than decent shooting skills as well. 

K2: this is tricky but i'd say an enforcer/scholar maybe (or analyst) to account for both his computing and slicing skills and his demeanor. More than decent shooting skills as well. 

He did say he was some sort of analyst droid before being reprogrammed.

He did say he was some sort of analyst droid before being reprogrammed.

Yeah I'd say Analyst too, with dips into some brawling spec.

Am I the only one suspecting Jyn might have slight force sensitivity? Especially after reading Catalyst, it seemed like she might not be aware of it, but have some intuition.

She doesn't do anything in the movie that would point towards Force sensitivity. Haven't read the book, but I'd be surprised if something as major as that would be shown beyond the screen.

Plus, there's no storytelling reason I can think of to make her sensitive. How would it make any story about her better?

Force sensitivity doesn't necessarily mean force powers. In the EU, uncanny instincts and good luck like the chain of events in Rogue One often suggested some sensitivity or connection with the Force.

It's entirely possible I'm reading too much into it, but some of the descriptions of Lyra and Jyn in Catalyst seemed to suggest some instinctive weariness/affinity for the mood of what was going on around them. Could just be Luceno's writing/language using too many code words that surrounded the Jedi and force sensitives in other books. I can't think of anything specific from the movie that made me think it, except the exceptional luck and prowess that surrounds most of Star Wars' main characters.

EDIT: I later saw an article saying early drafts of the script had Lyra as a Jedi in hiding. Depending on when that was knixed, that could explain why I got that feeling after from the descriptions in Catalyst. 

Edited by Tikanni

Force sensitivity doesn't necessarily mean force powers.

I didn't say it does.

Like you said, seem more like action hero type stuff, and somewhat fuzzy descriptions of characters' emotional awareness. Not different from Han having bad feelings or getting lucky now and again.