Sign in to follow this  
robertpolson

Community Vote: Imperial Assault After Battle for Endor

It is most likely that we will see The Return of The Jedi Battle for Endor as the next expansion box. Let's use this thread to summarize what we want as the community for Star Wars Imperial Assault development.

+4 Star Wars Canon within the Imperial Assault timeline. Using Star Wars canon material will allow the use of many existing cards and figure to allow the players to endeavor new adventures and stories.

+3 Star Wars stories based on Timothy Zahn - this will allow the stories to develop within Star Wars canon. We can continue to experience events after Return of The Jedi but before The Force Awakens.

+2 Star Wars Rogue One - I haven’t seen the movie yet but it looks like it will be a movie about Star Wars Imperial Assault. I am looking forward to seeing it next Friday and possibly playing this movie in the realm of Star Wars Imperial Assault.

+1 Star Wars The Force Awakens - I don’t mind moving forward in the Star Wars timeline if we have to.

—-------

-1 Star Wars Rebels - I haven’t seen the series and don’t plan to. I know they exist but I am a fan of the original trilogy. I don’t mind the series but I am not that motivated by the idea of the animated series.

-100 Star Wars Clone Wars - I hate it. I think that episode I-III is a disgrace to Star Wars and I hope that FFG will never go there. I will most centenary not touch any clone wars expansions.

Personally, I hope they keep moving forward.  I'd be fine with Rogue One stuff or TFA.  Not really hoping for anything Rebels, to be honest.  

I wouldn't want them to try to follow any canon stories too closely.  To be honest, I think that's one of the major handicaps of IA as is- we have to go back to Tatooine for the umpteenth time this winter (don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to Jabba's Realm) when we could be telling more original stories and going to cooler planets like Sullust, Ord Mantell, and Mustafar.  

And I honestly probably wouldn't buy a Clone Wars series.  Maybe a few heroes here and there if they were somehow compatible, but I wouldn't invest in it very heavily at all.  Nor would, I think, the majority of fans of IA.  I'm sure it has its enthusiasts, and I used to get the appeal, but it doesn't do it for me anymore.

It especially wouldn't help that a Clone Wars set would presumably require rebuilding your entire selection of troops from scratch.

Edited by subtrendy

Sounds like you already know what you are looking for.  I would like the see the following releases, to include Endor.  Scout Troopers, which I'm sure we'll get.  4-LOM and Zuckuss.  Mara Jade, but more for nostalgia and to a have a good miniature of her.  I can't think of anything in the Thrawn trilogy I care enough to see in the game.  I'm hoping that Endor tiles can double as Kashyyyk tiles.  I would like to see a campaign based on freeing Kashyyyk.

As long as we stay away from Clone Wars and even rebels, I think I will be okay with the development of the game.

I also wouldn't mind The Battle For Endor to be a big box expansion with more missions and stories.

Edited by robertpolson

My personal preference is for them to just get off the nostalgia train and do something original. The SW universe is huge, and IMO it's easily rich enough that it can survive without having to be linked to specific storylines. Let FFG make their own stories.

Having said that, I understand the advantages of having recognizable heroes/villains show up. I'd be fine with them cherry picking the elements of various era that work - looking at Destiny, I'm just as excited to play with Grievous and Dooku as anyone else, despite the prequels being bad. Rebels, Rogue One, Legends....I'm fine with all of it if it's done well (and I trust FFG to do it). Probably the only thing is I do think the game needs to stay primarily focused on the Galactic Civil War timeframe - too much of the game is invested in it to suddenly throw in major forces from different eras. But if  thousands of years old HK droids can show up, I'm happy for them to slip in a few other surprises.

See, we can totally have our well known heroes still show up outside of the nostalgia train.  

For example, I mention Sullust a lot, because I think it's an interesting planet and gritty enough to really do IA some justice.  If we're hoping for new ally/villains- well, I could see a General Solo mini aiding in a battle on Sulliust after Endor, or maybe Zuckuss hunting down Rebels then (IDK if either of those exact examples work- but in general, some should).

Make it crazy- I was in a thread earlier this week about trying to incorporate X-Wing into a custom Rogue One IA campaign.  Fans would love a crossover like that!  Maybe not require too much of either product (maybe only require the core box of each game and the crossover supplement box) but allow for some customization for those who do have more.  That would be really cool.

Not sure how you could look forward to an expansion based on 7 but not 1-3. 1-3 lacks decent characters and aren't set up like a western, but neither is 7.  1-3 at least has fantastic locations and memorable moments.  7 is just a forgettable mish mash of a mary sue stomping on a daddy issue douchebag while a traitor betrays an entire planet to death just to get a ride to tap dat.  It has no interesting locations which IA has been using from 4-6, no interesting creatures or droids.  No bounty hunters, no new races.  NOTHING.  Even Phasma was largely squandered.  It's one contribution has been a lightsaber shaped like a KKK's burning cross and a soccer ball.  There is nothing to make an expansion out of.  Maybe 8-9, when taken from J.J.'s ruinous hands will give us something that isn't a pile of garbage that could be worked with, but for right now 1-3 is the best option.

Edited by Union

Not sure how you could look forward to an expansion based on 7 but not 1-3. 1-3 lacks decent characters and aren't set up like a western, but neither is 7.  1-3 at least has fantastic locations and memorable moments.  7 is just a forgettable mish mash of a mary sue stomping on a daddy issue douchebag while a traitor betrays an entire planet to death just to get a ride to tap dat.  It has no interesting locations which IA has been using from 4-6, no interesting creatures or droids.  No bounty hunters, no new races.  NOTHING.  Even Phasma was largely squandered.  It's one contribution has been a lightsaber shaped like a KKK's burning cross and a soccer ball.  There is nothing to make an expansion out of.  Maybe 8-9, when taken from J.J.'s ruinous hands will give us something that isn't a pile of garbage that could be worked with, but for right now 1-3 is the best option.

It's ok, give me a hug and tell me who hurt you.

I would really love a clone wars "imperial" assault, but I don't think it's likely to happen. It all depends how much they are willing to mix eras. The printing of Old Ben and Greedo tells us that they are willing to do so to some extent.

What I wouldn't want to see is "imperial assault 2" (basically a new core), making products bought before that obsolete and no longer supported.

Edited by ineversmile1789

There is a plethora of material in the new Marvel Comics Star Wars stories that are not only cannon but fit in the Imperial Assault time line. Lots of really good characters and side missions I would love to see in this game.

I wouldn't phrase it like that... but I do have to agree with the sentiment that the general design of Episode VII did not introduce anything particularly interesting in terms of characters, factions, or locales.

Well, except for the tiny wee droid that calls the Resistance. Easily my favourite character!

Rebels might be okay, but really I'd just like to see more fleshing out of the other parts of the universe that are already known to exist at the time of the OT, much like the approach taken by the RPGs (particularly Edge of the Empire). For example, Nar Shadda, Coruscant, maybe some Twi'lek assassins, Gran, Kel dor, that sort of thing. Admittedly though, that's more piecemeal than a clear strategy like choosing PT, Rebels, CW or Ep7.

I loved Shadows of the Empire, the book and the game. The story revisits classic places and introduces new ones. Hoth, Tatooine, Coruscant.

New figures such as Guri, Xizor, Dash Rendar, Leebo, swoop bikes, the diagona, the gladiator droid, and Han Solo in Carbonite ;)

Copyright may be an issue, not to mention resurrecting something out of Legends. One can hope

I like Star Wars, all of it good and bad. I would really like to see Mara Jade but I think the FFG games will more often then not be pulling from new canon stuff.

I'd like Old EU content, Rebels content, Rogue One content, Post ROTJ content, Clone Wars content, and Sequel Trilogy content. And I'd love to get R4 and R5 astromech droid miniatures as well as Rebel Pilot and Imperial Pilot miniatures for cross play between Imperial Assault and X-wing, which of course would most likely be home brewed. 

I think it would be really cool to run a campaign with a group of heroes from a Clone Wars campaign all the way through the original trilogy and into the sequel trilogy. 

I like Star Wars, all of it good and bad. I would really like to see Mara Jade but I think the FFG games will more often then not be pulling from new canon stuff.

I'd like Old EU content, Rebels content, Rogue One content, Post ROTJ content, Clone Wars content, and Sequel Trilogy content. And I'd love to get R4 and R5 astromech droid miniatures as well as Rebel Pilot and Imperial Pilot miniatures for cross play between Imperial Assault and X-wing, which of course would most likely be home brewed. 

I think it would be really cool to run a campaign with a group of heroes from a Clone Wars campaign all the way through the original trilogy and into the sequel trilogy. 

Maybe some way to cram in the Death Star droid as support for Imperials, RA-7.

Edited by Rikalonius

Honestly, unless they jump from one big b0x to another, I don't think Endor will be our next expansion. Regardless of whether you think he should be in the game, an Endor expansion would be the most sensible time for Emperor Palpatine to show up in the game, and he deserves to be the villain of a full-length campaign. So if we stick to the large-small-large-small format established so far, I think we need something between now and Endor.

What would I want that to be, and what do I think it likely will be? If we go with a fairly standard small-box wave, I would like a battle droid hero and some sort of engineer/mechanic/technician hero (maybe a Skakoan?) who relies on droids that use the companion rules. For in-box generic enemies, maybe Dark Troopers for the Empire and some kind of small-base creature for mercenaries (maybe even something that deploys in packs of three). For ally/villain packs, Zuckuss/4-LOM, an original Imperial villain, and a unique Rebel ally. I'm not too particular about who the Rebel ally is. Maybe tie it in with Rogue One, or Rebels. Or have someone tied to previous continuity (like a Kyle Katarn/Jan Ors double pack).

I really don't know what to expect, short-term. Long-term I expect some strong tie-ins with both Rogue One and Rebels, maybe even Episodes VII-IV, but FFG hasn't shown much interest in the prequel era. I don't know whether they would release it over time, giving us one or two Rebels/Rogue One characters at a time or more of a boxed set. I would kind of like to get the crew of the Ghost in a Rebels boxed set -- maybe with a mini-campaign, but it wouldn't be necessary -- so people who want it can have it all in one place, while people who don't want to mess with Rebels can skip it.

Oh, and one prequel-era thing that I really would like to show up in Imperial Assault: droidekas, probably in the Mercenaries faction.

I had an idea for the use of the RA-7 droid.  Deployment card that costs 1 or 2 that assigns an RA-7 companion to an Imperial officer.  The companion provides +1 block if they are adjacent (or in the same space) as their officer, but can also relay orders from 2 spaces away from their officer up to another 2 spaces from the companion droid.  They would have 1 health, 2 movement,  and no defense or attack dice.

What would I want that to be, and what do I think it likely will be? If we go with a fairly standard small-box wave, I would like a battle droid hero and some sort of engineer/mechanic/technician hero (maybe a Skakoan?) who relies on droids that use the companion rules. For in-box generic enemies, maybe Dark Troopers for the Empire and some kind of small-base creature for mercenaries (maybe even something that deploys in packs of three). For ally/villain packs, Zuckuss/4-LOM, an original Imperial villain, and a unique Rebel ally. I'm not too particular about who the Rebel ally is. Maybe tie it in with Rogue One, or Rebels. Or have someone tied to previous continuity (like a Kyle Katarn/Jan Ors double pack).

I think Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors have been wiped out by Jyn Erso's existence.  Kyle Katarn was a huge fan favorite, but I think he's been removed and part of his story imbued into the character of Finn. 

Edited by Rikalonius

I think some Rogue One and/or Episode VII, VIII etc.. is the route they will go. We might not see an actual Rogue One box but most likely a few blister packs of the characters to plug into our existing campaigns. I think the next expansion will be a small box Endor punctuated by a Yoda/Rogue One wave of blister packs, then the next big box we see will be based around Episode VII.

I loved Shadows of the Empire, the book and the game. The story revisits classic places and introduces new ones. Hoth, Tatooine, Coruscant.

New figures such as Guri, Xizor, Dash Rendar, Leebo, swoop bikes, the diagona, the gladiator droid, and Han Solo in Carbonite ;)

Copyright may be an issue, not to mention resurrecting something out of Legends. One can hope

X-Wing has some Shadows of the Empire stuff, so it might be doable.  I'd be totally down for this, I think it really fits the atmosphere IA strives for.

I expect we will continue to get product from Rebels and Rogue One from A&V packs rather than full expansions. I think the box expansions are going to keep coming from the movies. I think eventually the production of the big box expansions is going to slow way down like it did for Descent.