Sign in to follow this  
Velvetelvis

Does soontir fel have a place at the table anymore?

I used to dabble with that little ship that dies a lot. And I think I want to fly him again at the local tournament level this season.

But every time I look at a palp + stuff list I have to ask myself ..."self,shouldnt you just use a defender instead these days?"

And then I'm all ..." well Mr. Other self... logic and reasoning say yes...take the defender instead. But I noticed our heart still wants to try more soontir."

Yes self...it's a tough call. It seems like soontir fel is now in the'for fun list's category. And the more stable ship is better suited to go and win a game.

That's true other self. Ay least that's my read on the situation. Let's go ask the forum folks if they feel similarly.

Ok self...let's do that. Then get some coffee together and hang out.

Sounds good self. Hey! Don't get fresh with me self! Stop touching me there. Besides were at the grocery....people will think we are wierd.

But...I have strong feelings for you.

But...we mustn't!

Yes!

No!

Yes!

*Passionate kiss in the rain..

Aaannnnddd..

Scene!

I have a similar problem, each time I look at Palp, I rather take Manaroo. ;-)

Last tournaments against opposing Palp Defenders makes the decision rather easy. 

Rolling 6 dice against a not careful Palp shuttle on turn one or one time even 13 dice in turn two makes the decision really really easy. ;-)

I might argue that his 3 health hinders him right now.  One of the primary ways to deal with defenders is auto damage - bombs, Oicunn, Painbot, etc.  And since you're seeing more and more of these counters to evasive ships popping up, Fel is left vulnerable, taking the same damage but having half the health.

That said, a truly well flow Fel isn't going to get hit by Oicunn or bombs, and the painbot can be avoided - plus you should be able to do half credit to whomever it is on and just run away never taking damage and win on time.

im thinking about splitting the difference..having my cake and eating it as well so to speak.

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v4!s!195:170,-1,-1:33:17:;70:214,-1,-1:33:-1:;28:18:5:5:M.15&sn=100-ryad.vess%2Cfel

Ryad, Vessery in the middle doing what they do and a fel in the backfield picking at the leftovers.

Edited by Velvetelvis

In the words of the goddess of victory: Just do it.

But mix it up a little, dare to be stupid. 

Here's something stupid, happy and numb:

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v4!s!195:170,-1,-1:33:17:;28:18:5:17:M.15;22:100,-1:23:17:U.124&sn=100-ryad.vess%2Cfel

Edited by Dagonet

Properly flown baron Soontir is still formidable opponent. I feel he's in very similiar spot as Torp scouts after the nerf - you can still fly them without Deadeye (we've seen Top16 of the Worlds!) but it takes much more skill than it use to be. But still viable.

And side observation: against BMST bulky PTL Ryad is exactly as vunerable as Soontir Fel :)

I feel he does have a place.  The comparison to Defenders is largely apt, but Fel can flank in a way that Defenders cannot, and loves tight asteroid clusters that defenders may struggle with

In fact, I find flying Fel and Ryad together is a fun combination.  When Fel is ignored, he lays waste, but he's such a hard target to remove that target priority can be challenging.  And who fancies ignoring Ryad?

In short, yeah, the Defender might math out better, but Fel flies in a way that no defender can match.  So he has a place in that regard.

Not only considering all of the auto damage right now, you have to consider things that mess with Soontir's green dice such as Shadow Caster's Tractor Beams (Title and/or Ketsu), Tail Gunner, and the upcoming Quadjumper. Not only are there the "thousands of small cuts" that kill Soontir, but also the negating of the evade dice Soontir lives on are what is and will be keeping him off the table going forward. 

He's always going to be around but he's no longer the auto choice like he used to be.  You really have to know how to fly him and have a good reason to take him in your list rather than just saying "well I only really have 65pts to work with".  

I'm really sad that the interceptor is no longer the top shelf but maybe now we can get some of the other interceptors out there.  Jax has had some success, Snap Shot Turr gets interesting...Heck, FFG could just re-release Imperial Aces with new Lorrir (no stress and EPT) and Kir (add EPT) and maybe another named interceptor (hopefully a new ept or two) and call it good!

Or maybe they'll finally add the Avenger as an Interceptor title.