Sign in to follow this  
JJFDVORAK

Tie Striker wings move?

;)

“Everything kind of brings new challenges. On both of these, the biggest challenge was getting the wings to move . That was kind of the uncharted territory we were going down."

Edited by Goseki1

It´s not wrong either though... I taught my six year old in a few minutes.

The tricky part for her... Turning the dial! They aren´t made for small hands...

Get the Dial Upgrades, they will also help as they can now see all possible movements in one go.

Ha, anybody else notice the little blip at the end of that article in the OP?

“You can teach an eight-year-old in five minutes, but it can also keep that kid’s dad engaged,” Shaffer adds. “It appeals to a wide audience. It’s affordable, approachable, and fun."

The ships have a choking hazard 13+ label on them....rofl....

That's the age when my best friend's son learned to fly Chewie and Lord Vader.

;)

“Everything kind of brings new challenges. On both of these, the biggest challenge was getting the wings to move . That was kind of the uncharted territory we were going down."

The full quotation:

"For the U-wing and the TIE striker, designers decided early on to experiment with moveable wings to stay true to the movement of the ships on film. Early sketches of the U-wing showed the wings open and closed. “We went back and forth on whether or not to make them move,” says Franz-Wichlacz.

Ultimately, adding the extra feature became the most difficult part of the design. The crew at FFG had done it before with the Lambda-class shuttle. “But that’s really big as far as miniatures go,” Franz-Wichlacz says. “Everything kind of brings new challenges. On both of these, the biggest challenge was getting the wings to move. That was kind of the uncharted territory we were going down.""

Seems to be about the U Wing only to me, though I'll be eminently happy if I'm proven wrong.

Striker title is reflecting the wings moving, as they are helping it maneuver. Even in space moving surfaces do contribute to better control, just not in the same way it does in an atmosphere (able to point that maneuvering thrustor in juuust the right spot vs having to settle for a 15 degree fixed thrustor)

In Star Wars, space is filled with aether. It's why ships stop moving after they turn their engines off, why you can hear things in space, and why ships maneuver more like airplanes than like space vessels. It makes the TIE Striker extra maneuverable even in space.

On the StarWars.com main page, there is an article about Xwing. In the article, it mentions that both the Uwing's and Tie Striker's wings move. I knew about the Uwing, but not the Striker. Did I just miss that or was that not mentioned before?

http://www.starwars.com/news/tabletop-rebellion-rogue-one-comes-to-ffgs-x-wing-miniatures-game

I like this part the most:

To compensate, Franz-Wichlacz tweaked the design (...) For the U-wing, the distance between the engines was widened to sell is as a large ship, even though it's clearly no bigger than K-wing, I mean to have some space where our lazy model design team could put the wing-hinges into, err, improve the overall look on the smaller scale, he added.

Edited by Mef82