Sign in to follow this  
Bronze

Campaigns being and end where?

Is the concept going forward that a campaign would start at a cycle and end after a cycle is complete?  Or is there no defined route available that we know of when we expect an adventure to come to a close and start over.

I was thinking that the base set ends at the base set and you start over again, but I didn't see confirmation that this is the intent.

Each of the deluxe expansions (like the soon to be released Dunwich Legacy) will start a campaign.  It will contain 2 scenarios and then there will be 6 mythos packs released each containing 1 scenario.  Those 8 scenarios together make up one campaign.  After that there will be another deluxe expansion and it will start a new cycle and a new campaign of 8 scenarios.  This is going to be the standard release structure, although there will occasionally be standalone scenarios (like Curse of the Rougarou) that are outside of the normal releases and not be tied to any single campaign.  The core set is a standalone campaign in itself, although it is only 3 scenarios.

Dunwich Legacy starts a new campaign that will unfold over the course of the 6 subsequent adventure packs - making it an 8 scenario-long campaign.

From the Dunwich Legacy product description:

The Dunwich Legacy doesn't just allow you to explore two new scenarios and their challenges; it serves as the introduction to the whole The Dunwich Legacy campaign, the subsequent chapters of which will be released in an upcoming cycle of Mythos Packs.

Edited by ParinorB

Someone said that investigators are only legal for their cycle. That sounded really bad to me. Is there any confirmation or was that just babbling?

That probably comes from a misinterpretation of the fact a 'character' is only good for one cycle. That is, the campaign rules say you should start a new character with 0 experience at the start of a campaign, though I believe it also says you can carry over an existing character if you really want to. I don't think there's any reason to think that an invesgigator can only be used for the cycle they're published with. That would be terrible.

Someone said that investigators are only legal for their cycle. That sounded really bad to me. Is there any confirmation or was that just babbling?

Sounds like babbling to me - nothing like that mentioned in any of the articles.

the scenario book for the core set says you can carry your investigator over, and personally, i don't see a problem with this..

in fact, i was putting some thought into it. when you level up your cards you're at a certain advantage, but kind of the way in Eldritch horror where you have the difficulty scale over the mythos deck, you can change each scenario to scale as well. start in standard, move up to hard, end in expert. that way you are really mitigating any advantage you're getting from upgrading while still keeping the game somewhat fair.

Edited by iGniGhted

the scenario book for the core set says you can carry your investigator over, and personally, i don't see a problem with this..

in fact, i was putting some thought into it. when you level up your cards you're at a certain advantage, but kind of the way in Eldritch horror where you have the difficulty scale over the mythos deck, you can change each scenario to scale as well. start in standard, move up to hard, end in expert. that way you are really mitigating any advantage you're getting from upgrading while still keeping the game somewhat fair.

I think this misses a point the game tries to make when not "recommending" you continue with a character into a new campaign. That point being that it's not that your characters are going to be too powerful, but that they are going too be to battered and bruised to continue on. Remember that the intro campaign is quite easy, and the new campaigns will probably hurt a lot more even if you get a good ending, this is Arkham after all. Just read the part in the campaign book again about carrying over a character and you'll see what I'm talking about (I don't have mine on me right now).

Edited by Solid Rock

I think this misses a point the game tries to make when not "recommending" you continue with a character into a new campaign. That point being that it's not that your characters are going to be too powerful, but that they are going too be to battered and bruised to continue on. Remember that the intro campaign is quite easy, and the new campaigns will probably hurt a lot more even if you get a good ending, this is Arkham after all. Just read the part in the campaign book again about carrying over a character and you'll see what I'm talking about (I don't have mine on me right now).

i don't think you've played on expert if you think carrying a character over to another campaign is going to be easy, which was the point i was trying to make. with the core set, expert is impossible, even just on "The Gathering" unless you're pulling the Elder Sign over and over.

you start one leg of your campaign on standard, then the next campaign scales to hard, sure you can have side adventures in between, then the third campaign is on expert. -5 -6 -8 tokens.. if that doesn't mitigate some of the advantages of level ling up, i don't know what would.

i don't think you've played on expert if you think carrying a character over to another campaign is going to be easy, which was the point i was trying to make. with the core set, expert is impossible, even just on "The Gathering" unless you're pulling the Elder Sign over and over.

you start one leg of your campaign on standard, then the next campaign scales to hard, sure you can have side adventures in between, then the third campaign is on expert. -5 -6 -8 tokens.. if that doesn't mitigate some of the advantages of level ling up, i don't know what would.

Traumas and weaknesses you acquire mitigate the advantages of leveling up.

Traumas and weaknesses you acquire mitigate the advantages of leveling up.

It does more than just mitigate, I'd say. You'd have an easier time starting with 0 xp than taking all that trauma with you. The accumulated xp is not worth it. Especially for investigators like Roland (who with some bad luck can end even the introduction campaign as 'barely playable').

I personally use house-rules to reduce the impact of trauma a bit, because I like running the same investigator through all the campaigns.

Edited by TheFool

Yeah, I am leaning towards carrying over permanent changes to characters between campaigns.  But I would really only be able to do something like this if I had an understanding that I would be getting enough characters at the beginning of each cycle.  If we are getting 5 characters at the beginning of each cycle I think this would work for me.

Somebody on BGG posted an interesting idea for taking a character on multiple campaigns. After a character takes Trauma equal to thier health or sanity, they add a basic weakness card to thier deck and reset thier trama level to 0. They also were going to make every card cost an extra XP so that they leveled slower over many campaigns.

Edited by lordevilthefirst