Sign in to follow this  
Guest BladeWing24

X-wing B-wing fix S-foils

^ Tell us how you really feel...

A lot of this game's inspiration - and even ships - have come directly from the video games, in which opening and closing the S-foils to gain speed at a sacrifice of firing was not only something you could do while in combat, it was also one of the best ways of either bugging out of a bad situation, or re-positioning for another run on a target.

You mean in bad arcade video games? Never saw that in any good SW piloting simulation :D But you get Energy Management, which is way cooler.

Thou dare question the greatness of the Tie fighter video game?!?

14699166.jpg

^ Tell us how you really feel...

A lot of this game's inspiration - and even ships - have come directly from the video games, in which opening and closing the S-foils to gain speed at a sacrifice of firing was not only something you could do while in combat, it was also one of the best ways of either bugging out of a bad situation, or re-positioning for another run on a target.

You mean in bad arcade video games? Never saw that in any good SW piloting simulation :D But you get Energy Management, which is way cooler.

Thou dare question the greatness of the Tie fighter video game?!?

14699166.jpg

No, he's saying that in the X-wing v Tie Fighter games, closing your S-foils was just something the game did before X-wings and B-wings jumped to hyperspace. It didn't provide any benefit to the ship if you did it in combat (Although it did shut down your weapons). Edited by Squark

How about something along these lines

Variable Firing Modes

Title

X-Wing & B-Wing Only

Dual Card

Dual Shot/Low Power Shot

After performing an attack you may flip this card

Quad Shot/High Power Shot

When attacking you may change up to 2 focus results to hits without spending a focus token. After performing an attack you must flip this card.

1 or 2 pts

No idea on the cost really but it gives you almost a full built in attacking focus potentially every other shot, there's minimal benefit to Poe and Keyan because of their innate abilities.

The names of each side could do with a bit of work as the original names work for X-Wings but not so much for B-Wings

Guest BladeWing24

Fire linked blasters add 2 red dice to you attack. You may not attack next round.

Fire linked blasters add 2 red dice to you attack. You may not attack next round.

A problem here could be book keeping but then that is already the case for Corran.

I do think it is a better concept that using the S-foil position.

A problem here could be book keeping but then that is already the case for Corran.

I do think it is a better concept that using the S-foil position.

You mean, putting down a weapons disabled token? That doesn't seem that hard of a idea.

Swarm Leader and Jan Ors for 8 dice (9 at R1) superlaser Wedge :)

EDIT weapons disabled token is removed at the end of the round so it won't work.

Edited by eMeM

S-Foils Refit
Title
B-Wing & X-Wing Only

1pt

SIDE 1:

Attack Position

When attacking with your primary weapon at range 1-2 you may add one [Focus] result.
When you reveal a [bank] maneuver you may instead choose to use the [Turn] template.  If you do so you must flip this card.

SIDE 2: 
Flight Position

Action: flip this card.

Edited by Stay On The Leader

I don't understand why most of you - probably imperial players - don't like dual card s-foil on T-65 and B-Wing? It would open up new stragedies. Should I increace my speed and get a extra movement or open up - free barrel roll action and recieve 1 extra red die when stressed?

S-Foils Refit

Title

B-Wing & X-Wing Only

1pt

SIDE 1:

Attack Position

When attacking with your primary weapon at range 1-2 you may add one [Focus] result.

When you reveal a [bank] maneuver you may instead choose to use the [Turn] template.  If you do so you must flip this card.

SIDE 2: 

Flight Position

Action: flip this card.

Actually I really like this one. I'm not sure of the cost but it feels really thematic.

I don't understand why most of you - probably imperial players - don't like dual card s-foil on T-65 and B-Wing? It would open up new stragedies. Should I increace my speed and get a extra movement or open up - free barrel roll action and recieve 1 extra red die when stressed?

It is NOT because we are Imperial players.  Some of us can careless about what faction we are playing.  What we think is crazy is having a ship that flaps its wings around in combat from round to round despite being told "LOCK S-foils into attack position" is a bit silly.

It is NOT because we are Imperial players.  Some of us can careless about what faction we are playing.  What we think is crazy is having a ship that flaps its wings around in combat from round to round despite being told "LOCK S-foils into attack position" is a bit silly.

despite Poe doing this in TFA?

The only thing poe did was roll well on his Debris field colision roll.

Okay.

S-foils closed (dual card, title)

Reduce your primary weapon value by 1.

Reduce your agility by 1.

Treat all 3- and 4-speed manuevers as red.

When rolling for obstacle you may ignore [crit] results.

You may flip this card after you execute a manuever.

S-foils open (dual card, title)

You may flip this card after you execute a manuever.

There you go, fluffy S-foils to represent how they were used in the movies.

You forgot the Star Viper and the new Arc-170  :P

The main problem with S-foils is the theme. Now in some games (Rouge Squadon) S-foils disabled weapons but gave a speed boost where as in X-wing PC they were only used to prepare for hyperspace. Still I don't see why they shouldn't be in X-wing. (I remember using them on a B-wing when I replayed the super Star destroyer mission in Rebel Strike.

To be honest S-foils should have been an action instead. I came up with an idea of an S-foils closed token kind of like the cloak. S-foil action perform a 1 straight maneuver and place s-foils closed token. Still unless X-wing gets a 2.0 you won't be seeing any s-foils anytime soon.

S-foils closed. While this token is in place increase your agility value by 1. Whenever you reveal a straight maneuver treat that maneuver as 1 speed higher. Your Primary Weapon value is 1 and you cannot fire any secondary weapons.

At the end of the planing phase you may discard the S-foils closed tokens.

Edited by Marinealver