Sign in to follow this  
Aginorh

Best use of Omega Leader

1 minute ago, thespaceinvader said:

This thread's nearly a year old and OL ain't worth spit right now because bombs and PS9+ turrets and alpha strikes.

I replied to a thread someone necroed and feel like a fool. 

1 hour ago, Icelom said:

That's my opinion on omega at least, right now I just don't value her that highly. At least right now the meta has some high HP low agility ships and omega is almost as bad as a 12pt tie at doing damage to them, sure you are tankier but are not a threat offensively, especially if you get into a cycle of spending your evade. If you do start spending your evade the you have no mods to your own red dice and are doing even less damage. Juke is nice and all but if you are averaging 1 damage a turn who cares.

... I mean, if you ignore the fact that she neuters high agility aces and completely ignores almost all defense capabilities in the game...

Yeah, in a meta featuring one agility, high hull ships, she's not all that exciting. And adding bombs to that meta means she's often a liability... But in any other meta (ie, the entire time between the most recent releases and her own release), you literally couldn't spend 26 points better for Imperials.

Honestly, for Imperials, this is still true. She's absolutely a top contender for that price range, though she does have some competition lately.

The list I use, wont the last small tournament I was in, I never lost a single ship.  

• “Backdraft”

Special Forces TIE
 Veteran Instincts
 Sensor Jammer
 Sensor Cluster
 Special Ops Training
 Lightweight Frame
37 points
• “Quickdraw”
Special Forces TIE
 Sensor Jammer
 Sensor Cluster
 Special Ops Training
 Lightweight Frame
26 points
• “Omega Leader”
TIE/fo Fighter
 Comm Relay
 Juke

With Sensor Jammer and LWF on the TIE/SFs they are surprisingly hard to hit.  OL is an absolute monster when flown correctly.  Yes, only 2 dice, but juke with an evade that almost never gets removed and all you have to do is TL the biggest threat or desired target.  And when that ship is already locked you get to focus to really drive the hits home.  Yes, bombers are still difficult.  Positioning is key, you have to do some evasive flying until you can get in behind to the sweet spot where you aren't getting blown up.  

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 6:07 PM, ArbitraryNerd said:

... I mean, if you ignore the fact that she neuters high agility aces and completely ignores almost all defense capabilities in the game...

Yeah, in a meta featuring one agility, high hull ships, she's not all that exciting. And adding bombs to that meta means she's often a liability... But in any other meta (ie, the entire time between the most recent releases and her own release), you literally couldn't spend 26 points better for Imperials.

Honestly, for Imperials, this is still true. She's absolutely a top contender for that price range, though she does have some competition lately.

Omega Leader is actually surprisingly good at lower points values, too.

Someone short of points recently tried her with A Score To Settle rather than Juke, and the effect on High Hull, Low Agility targets is disturbingly good, in addition to saving two points; A Score To Settle is a very powerful upgrade (with an effect somewhere between 3-point Marksmanship and 4-point Expertise when you're just a 2-dice TIE fighter) which is free because of the downsides - only works on one opponent, and hands them A Debt To Pay which lets them do it right back.

In a gaming environment where you tend to only have 2 enemy ships, and on average one of them is 5+ hull, agility 1 (Nym, Miranda, Norra, Chiraneau, Yorr), that free critical on 60% of your attacks is brutal, and A Debt To Pay doesn't matter in the slightest because the guy with the condition has Omega Leader locked on to them it's a freaking steal.

Essentially, whilst Juke lets your 2-dice popgun actually hit an agility 3 target, A Score To Settle lets you actually do enough damage to matter against targets that weren't going to dodge your shots anyway.

To all of you nay sayers. Say crap about omega leader to Duncan Howard who got top 8 at nationals with the little bastard ;-) 

Actually, Magnus your point about a 21 point omega leader is extremely valid. 
That is a lot of annoying crap for 21 points. Especially since he doesn't need 'ramping up' like the standard omega leader does. 

6 hours ago, ModernPenguin said:

To all of you nay sayers. Say crap about omega leader to Duncan Howard who got top 8 at nationals with the little bastard ;-) 

That is a lot of annoying crap for 21 points. Especially since he doesn't need 'ramping up' like the standard omega leader does. 

The 'free evade' from Comm Relay is still a nice-to-have (allowing for focus/evade defence and still modified attack) but is no longer a critical part of the whole shenanigans, certainly.

Omega Leader has been one of my favorite ships since she was released. Flying with the TIE/FO dial is nothing short of pure joy. Messing with target priority is one of my favorite aspects of the game and few do it as well as Omega Leader. Omega Leader does perform poorly against bombs and/or autoblaster turrets but remember that Nym is not the only enemy ship flying around. Slap Dengar with Omega Leader's target lock and watch him writhe. Sure, the opponent may prioritize Omega Leader and take her off the board relatively quickly but she's a mere 26 points and the rest of your squadron is having a field day.

How effective Omega Leader is in the current meta rises and falls just like any other ship/pilot. However, her low cost goes a long way to making that not matter so much.

Edited by spartan1128

17 hours ago, spartan1128 said:

How effective Omega Leader is in the current meta rises and falls just like any other ship/pilot. However, her low cost goes a long way to making that not matter so much.

That. The TIE/fo all-stars are extremely cheap and you can afford to take them in the kind of 'filler' postions of 3rd or even 4th ship that would usually mean the ship isn't a threat; TIE/fo fighters really are.

On 9/13/2017 at 3:53 AM, ModernPenguin said:

He's also running Palp Aces still... He's an example of a **** good pilot. You need to judge by average performance to really have useful data.

Still think OL is one of the best ships in the Imperial Navy, I just agree that she's not special in the current meta. I do like the idea of the ASTS OL, though I've never been able to bring myself to give up Juke. With so many 1 agility ships running around, though, it's probs worth testing.

I see 21 OL w/ Kylo (Silencer) and a kitted Quickdraw being worth a test.