Sign in to follow this  
cosmic

Jabba the Hutt - Order Hit

Hi,
I was going through Jabba stuff, when I came over one of his abilities: Order Hit.

swi36_jabba-the-hutt_skirmish.png

Order Hit: Spend 2 VPs. A [MERC] figure of your choice may interrupt to perform 
an attack. Then, it gains 2 movement points.

Does it mean that I, as a Jabba controlling player, can order enemy [MERC] figure to perform an attack and then move it 2 spaces?

Close to that. By a cost of two actions and 2 VPs, Jabba can use a special action Order Hit.

First choose a mercenary figure to perform an attack and all abilities triggered from that. Then, the figure gains 2 movement points.

When a figure receives movement points out of its activation, they must be used immediately or lost.

2 movement points may mean 0, 1 or 2 spaces due to extra costs from difficult terrain and hostile figures.

Yes, it can be a hostile mercenary figure as well, but why would you choose such figure? There is an obvious lack of space on the card, which is a probable reason why "hostile" has been omitted as unnecessary. If you choose a hostile mercenary figure, the controller of that figure performs the attack and spending of the movement points.

Edited by a1bert

Hmm, that's interesting. And why controller (owner) of the figure performs the attack?

Murne Rin has similar ability False Orders that allow performing attack with enemy figure.

False Orders: Choose a hostile figure with a figure cost of 3 or less within 3 spaces. Perform a move or attack with that figure.

I can see wording difference between two abilities, but it's not clear to me why I as a Jabba controlling player can not perform attack with enemy merc figure.

The wording would make it a very interesting play in 4 player games... If an enemy is Mercs, and in a convenient spot to damage another enemy... But that's the only situation I think that could be useful to use it in that regard

The wording would make it a very interesting play in 4 player games... If an enemy is Mercs, and in a convenient spot to damage another enemy... But that's the only situation I think that could be useful to use it in that regard

That's pretty funny though.

Okay, there could be a situation where this was actually useful (albeit a contrived one): you have Detonators on a Hired Gun or something and you want to blast a bunch of units, but your opponent isn't killing the unit with Detonators. If you picked a hostile Merc figure that only has LOS to the figure you want dead, would your opponent be required to select that figure as the target? Or could they select a figure that they do not have LOS to, instantly invalidating the attack?

As per RRG;

Declare Target: Based upon its attack type (<Melee> or <Ranged>), the figure

performing the attack (referred to as the attacker) declares one

eligible target for the attack (referred to as the target).

-- For a melee attack (<Melee>), an eligible target is any hostile figure

adjacent to the attacker. For a ranged attack (<Ranged>), an eligible

target is any hostile figure within line of sight of the attacker.

So no, you cannot select a target you do not have line of sight to.

Okay, there could be a situation where this was actually useful (albeit a contrived one): you have Detonators on a Hired Gun or something and you want to blast a bunch of units, but your opponent isn't killing the unit with Detonators. If you picked a hostile Merc figure that only has LOS to the figure you want dead, would your opponent be required to select that figure as the target? Or could they select a figure that they do not have LOS to, instantly invalidating the attack?

"May" so this wouldn't work. They can choose not to attack.

Doesn't work here. In this case the attack is optional due to the "may interrupt" like neosmagus already mentioned.

In the campaign forcing an attribute test with Riot Grenades or Arc Blasters is a good way to strip focused from the rebel figures.

Edited by a1bert

Just to fully close this issue. I got a reply from FFG (hats off for replying in about 2 hours!!) 

Hi Michael,

Jabba’s ability lets you choose a figure. Then, that figure (which is still controlled by its player) may decide whether or not to perform an attack. The figure’s player would perform the attack, not Jabba’s player.

The language that makes Murne special is “perform … with that figure.” The Bespin Gambit entry deals specifically with that word “with.” In this way, Jabba is more similar to an Elite Imperial Officer than to Murne.

Hope that helps clear it up!

Todd Michlitsch
Game Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
tmichlitsch@fantasyflightgames.com

Edited by Inquisitorsz

Just to fully close this issue. I got a reply from FFG (hats off for replying in about 2 hours!!) 

And even more impressive: less than month after the game released, the usual 'honeymoon' hiatus for rules answers.

...and many of us haven't even gotten our copies yet.

Maybe there is a situation where you want to bait a merc into attacking to trigger a more powerful command card of sorts? But even then the opponent has the option not to attack.. and if I was the opponent I would choose not to attack I think lol.. unless the game was one sided and the guy might be just trying to troll.