Sign in to follow this  
4fox100

Swarm Leader Builds

Im not sure having a bunch fodder is the best use of this EPT. I think the best use is to recycle unused natural evades. Remember the other ships need arc on the enemy, low PS ships will have a harder time getting arc. Which means have a good ship with an EPT in the mid PS range, so the higher PS cohorts who can get arc, have the chance to save themselves with their evade, and if opponent doesn't attack the swarm leaders wingman, the swarm leader gets a buffed attack.

Countess Ryad (34)

Swarm Leader (3)

TIE/x7 (-2)

Glaive Squadron Pilot (34)

Juke (2)

TIE/x7 (-2)

The Inquisitor (25)

Push the Limit (3)

Autothrusters (2)

TIE/v1 (1)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Inquisitor can arc dodge, and with focus + AT, he rarely uses his evade unless things go bad or he is focused down. Glaive can take advantage of his evade with juke, before Ryad a PS5 ship who attacks near last can strip evades to boost her attack. She may not be getting 5 attack dice every round, but just getting +1 red die per round for an evade that probably going to waste is well worth 3pt EPT.

Nice list, but to really get under the skin of your opponent; this tiny modification seems delicious:

Countess Ryad (34)

Juke (2)

TIE/x7 (-2)

Swarm Leader (3)

TIE/x7 (-2)

The Inquisitor (25)

Push the Limit (3)

Autothrusters (2)

TIE/v1 (1)

The problem there is Glaive shoots before Ryad.

Good points Raven.  How about:

100 pts

Blackmoon squadron Pilot (29), R2-D6 (1), Swarm Leader (3), Sensor Jammer (4)

3 x Green Squadron Pilot (19) Chardaan Refit (-2), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Trick Shot (0), Juke (2), AutoThrusters (2)

All are PS 3.  Bit more survivability with Sensor Jammer and AutoThrusters.

And you get to say you are using Blackmoon Squadron pilot for the first time ever.

How about some Backdraft? Paints a huge target on him but one can try :)

Backdraft

SL

FCS

Lightened Frame

Title

Howlrunner

Crackshot

3X Black Sq. Pilot

Crackshot

98 points

With PS 7 Backdraft might have some troubke with Aces and has a big target on him. But if you go for him you run the risk of being flanked by a Mini CrackSwarm. Not terribly competitive but dropping a modded 4 dice + Crit from your rear arc would be really fun.

Good points Raven.  How about:

100 pts

Blackmoon squadron Pilot (29), R2-D6 (1), Swarm Leader (3), Sensor Jammer (4)

3 x Green Squadron Pilot (19) Chardaan Refit (-2), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Trick Shot (0), Juke (2), AutoThrusters (2)

All are PS 3.  Bit more survivability with Sensor Jammer and AutoThrusters.

And you get to say you are using Blackmoon Squadron pilot for the first time ever.

I don't think the PS3 Ewing has an EPT.  Hard to put swarm leader there.

Edit:  I'm dumb.  And don't fly rebels.  That pesky droid gives it.

Edited by Rolotamasi

Fenn Rau

- swarm leader

- autothrusters

- title

Tansarii Point Vet

- mindlink

- heavy

- mangler

Tansarii Point Vet

- mindlink

- heavy

- tractor beam

Kaato Leeachos

- mindlink

- concussion missiles

- guidance chips

- bmst

Thing with Sl is we will all be tempting to go gungho on fistfuls of dice when it isnt always the best idea

For example, building lots of swarmy ships that evade for the leader. Sure, the leader gets good but all the nibbly buggers quickly drag down the overall quality of the squad since they lack modifiers

Unless you get lucky, a sound game plan

Hell, just getting one extra die from SL is already probably great value (kicks the everloving crap out of comparable epts) when you combine it with pilots such as vessery

So far, i see SL as an x7 exclusive. No ship in the game generates evades as readily, easily and without any loss to their own attacks

Swarm Leader x7 Vess

Delta x7

and Ryad PTL Tie/mk2 x7

make an easy top-tier competitive list right there

Only other place Id bother is with hux enabled tie fighters, but that is a much more difficult fit due to jank involved

advanced sensors hux lambda

Swarm Leader Omega Ace

Crackrunner

A blackcrack

and Wampa make a list

not fond of the sheer lack of endgame, though

Kylo Ren shuttle is also an interesting place, between lots of dice and a deterrent to being shot at via his ability. Hux can then enable the led swarmers

Edited by ficklegreendice

First I thought, "What could make Corran Horn's double-tap even better?"

Corran Horn (47)

R2-D2

Swarm Leader

Stealth Device

Fire Control System

2 x Green Squadron Pilots (19)

Snap Shot

Adaptability

Chaardan Refit

Prototype Pilot (15)

Chaardan Refit

Total: 100 pts

So, Corra's double-tap goes from 8 dice at range 1 to 11, making him the hardest hitting ship in the game. I'd bump the A-wings down to PS 2 so I know they can get their evades, and fly them as a screen for Corran. Devastating, but weak against PS 9+

Then I thought "what could make my pathetic A-wings flyable?"

4 x Green Squadron Pilots (25)

Swarm Leader

Push The Limit

Autothrusters

Chaardan Refit

Total: 100 pts.

A-wings with 3 attack dice! BUt worse than Royal Guard TIEs in every way...

So far, i see SL as an x7 exclusive. No ship in the game generates evades as readily, easily and without any loss to their own attacks

Not even titled TIE advanced protoypes? The free evade via TL certainly doesn't hamper their attacks.

they can't do it after k-turning (Red maneuver)

they're also incredibly flaccid, offensively speaking. 2-dice attacks are absolutely horrid without crackshot and full mods, nowadays

edit: can't see it matching the consistency of x7s, especially since Pure Sabacc has a stupidly easy to remove ability and we don't know the UPS dial, but it's wave 10 relevant so eh

http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v4!s!227:36,209,183,-1,-1:-1:-1:;239:219:48:-1:;243::48:-1:;243::48:-1:&sn=jank%20city

all strikers evade and adaptive hopefully one into a block

Hopefully system officer jank gives Pure a a TL

Hux focus onto strider, pure and a ps 1

Condition onto striden because 1 agi oh no the horror

Let fly fully modded six dice, a 4 dice focus and 3 dice focus

Edited by ficklegreendice

Im not sure having a bunch fodder is the best use of this EPT. I think the best use is to recycle unused natural evades. Remember the other ships need arc on the enemy, low PS ships will have a harder time getting arc. Which means have a good ship with an EPT in the mid PS range, so the higher PS cohorts who can get arc, have the chance to save themselves with their evade, and if opponent doesn't attack the swarm leaders wingman, the swarm leader gets a buffed attack.

Countess Ryad (34)

Swarm Leader (3)

TIE/x7 (-2)

Juke (2)

TIE/x7 (-2)

The Inquisitor (25)

Push the Limit (3)

Autothrusters (2)

TIE/v1 (1)

Inquisitor can arc dodge, and with focus + AT, he rarely uses his evade unless things go bad or he is focused down. Glaive can take advantage of his evade with juke, before Ryad a PS5 ship who attacks near last can strip evades to boost her attack. She may not be getting 5 attack dice every round, but just getting +1 red die per round for an evade that probably going to waste is well worth 3pt EPT.

Nice list, but to really get under the skin of your opponent; this tiny modification seems delicious:

Countess Ryad (34)

Juke (2)

TIE/x7 (-2)

Swarm Leader (3)

TIE/x7 (-2)

The Inquisitor (25)

Push the Limit (3)

Autothrusters (2)

TIE/v1 (1)

The problem there is Glaive shoots before Ryad.

Ah, I get it....I was thinking of making opponents target priority really difficult.

So, Corran's double-tap goes from 8 dice at range 1 to 11, making him the hardest hitting ship in the game. I'd bump the A-wings down to PS 2 so I know they can get their evades, and fly them as a screen for Corran. Devastating, but weak against PS 9+

Quickdraw, Swarm Leader, FCS, Shield Upgrade = 38

5 Academy Pilots = 60

5/6 dice attack twice, higher PS, and with a rear arc option. The second attack depends on Quickdraw being shot at, but it's probably fair to say that if your 5-dice spewing monster is not being shot at, you've probably got things in the bag anyway.

T-70 X-Wing: · Jess Pava (25)

Seismic Torpedo (2)

· R2-D6 (1)

Integrated Astromech (0)

Swarm Leader (3)

A-Wing: Green Squadron Pilot (19)

Push The Limit (3)

Chardaan Refit (-2)

Autothrusters (2)

A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Crack Shot (1)

x3

-- TOTAL ------- 100/100p. --

Focus/Evade with the A-wings and Focus with Jess to have a tanky little squad that can also boost in formation if necessary.

Thing with Sl is we will all be tempting to go gungho on fistfuls of dice when it isnt always the best idea

I 100% agree with this, though I then find our method to approaching the issue vastly different.

Evades are the quintessential defensive action. You get to choose when to spend it to avoid 1 damage. Beautiful. The thing is, unlike focus, which is, depending on the dice, both offensive and defensive, it usually doesn't have much use of you aren't attacked that turn. So they are bringing in ways to make it useful. Juke was one, but if you have to use your evade before you shoot, then you don't get the benefit. Now they have this, but unlike Juke, this takes the evade tokens away. So my thought is that is best to throw this EPT on a low PS ship, that way evades can be spent on defense if needed, but then you can use them for bigger guns if they weren't needed. You also want that low PS ship to have some durability, as having it blown out of the sky before it even gets to fire is a waste of points as well. Finding all of that can be a conundrum.

It's a lot to consider, but I think going low PS is the correct answer. Use the evades as they were intended if you need to, but if not, lay down some hurt.

Formation flying, and focused targeting on this makes for big trouble for the opponent. Wes strips focus, then the As with their evade tokens can Juke through a couple of shots before Jess takes their evades and throws another big shot at the enemy. R3 allows Wes to possibly contribute as well if he doesn't get shot at. I think the combo with Juke and a lower (or same) PS shooting maximizes the effectiveness of those evade tokens.

Sweet jeebus....is this an worthwhile use for R3 astromech?

Alternatively, consider taking Swarm Leader on Scourge, with Expose Youngster flying wing.

It's a bad combination because once you have that many dice on hand, more modifiers are better than yet more dice, but at the same time, people seeing you drop 6-7 attack dice with 'just a TIE fighter' are likely to have a fit...

(By comparison, Youngster with Rage is not a bad plan - if you can throw a 4-5 dice attack, howlrunner's 1-die reroll feels a bit anaemic!)

A slightly modified crackswarm:

• Howlrunner - Juke
  • Black Squadron Pilot - Crack Shot
  • Black Squadron Pilot - Swarm Leader
  • Youngster - Rage

On the first pass, Swarm Leader uses Rage, Youngster and Howlrunner evade. Crackblacks do what crackblacks do, then swarm leader pinches the remaining evades to lob a focus/reroll 4-dice shot at someone.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Sweet jeebus....is this an worthwhile use for R3 astromech?

Don't go there. :P

R3 didn't receive any love because the lists where people could activate his ability seemed to want another astromech instead. I think the list I put in has a lot of luck based things, but not that necessarily detract from the list at all. Rebel small ships are already lacking evade actions (Imperials have more than you can shake a stick at) so I think giving them the ability to get those evades is a good thing. Maybe Sabine's TIE will open up some extra options, but cost effectiveness is going to be a concern.

35 Red Squadron Veteran (26), Swarm Leader (3), Targetting Astromech (2), Pattern analyser (2), Autothrusters (2)
21 Green Squadron Pilot (19), Chaardan (-2), AWTP (0), Juke (2), Adaptability (0) Authrusters (2)
21 Green Squadron Pilot (19), Chaardan (-2), AWTP (0), Juke (2), Adaptability (0) Authrusters (2)

Adaptability gives all 4 ships PS4. A-wings try to Evade wherever possible. They can use those tokens for defence or when Juking. When the RSV comes to fire, they can pass any unused tokens to him. TA and PA allow him to fire a 5-dice shot (6 at R1) with TL and Focus when pulling a Red. Even /x7 Defenders won't like that sort of firepower. Autothrusters help keep the squad alive and increase the odds of spare Evade tokens being available when the RSV comes to fire.

Jumping on the "T-70 + A-wings" idea:

Jess Pava (25)

- R2-D6 (1)

- Swarm Leader (3)

- Pattern Analyzer (2)

- IA (0)

Total 31

Green Squadron Pilot (19) x3

- Title (0)

- Refit (-2)

- Juke (2)

- Snap Shot (2)

- AT (2)

Total 23

I think Jess + R2-D6 is the best candidate for Swarm Leader I've seen so far because not only does she get innate mods on offense, but her defensive rerolls mess up their targeting priority since she's a pain to kill with the A-wings still alive. Juke and Snap Shot work really well together because Juke is one of the few things that can make that snapshot attack more potent, and it works on both the snap shot and the primary shot; it's just a matter of blocking and/or figuring out where they'll be.

I agreen on Jess. Rebels have a harder time getting full mods on the Swarm Leader shot, but Jessica gets them, and protects that offense with defensive rerolls. 3 attack dice is a nice place to start bumping up from as well.

Imperials get it a little easier. Vader has 2 actions, so it's easy to get TL/Focus (or ATC shenanigans if the dice are kind). Any SF can pCk FCS to make having a TL more likely. Vessery can generate free TLS.

Rebels don't get much access to that stuff. B-wings get FCS, but aren't great carriers of Swarm Leader, because they're so easy to kill. I guess U-wings could do something similar, though. Rey crew would free up an action. You could do a YT1300 with Rey crew, bank some Focus tokens, )take a TL as action, and get a fully modded 5 dice turret, 6 at Range 1.

Okay, so this list is assuming the PS4 TIE Striker will come with an EPT and be 20 pts. Given how they usually separate the points with ships, and the fact that Countdown doesn't have an EPT slot, I think its a safe gamble. Otherwise, this is just a "would be nice if it were possible" list.

PS4 Pilot — TIE Striker 20

Swarm Leader 3

Lightened Frame 2

Adaptive Ailerons 0

PS4 Pilot — TIE Striker 20

Juke 2

Lightweight Frame 2

Adaptive Ailerons 0

PS4 Pilot — TIE Striker 20

Juke 2

Lightweight Frame 2

Adaptive Ailerons 0

Gamma Squadron Pilot — TIE Bomber 18

HotShot Co-Pilot 4

Fleet Officer 3

TIE Shuttle 0

All PS4, and Gamma allows the Jukes to be effective. Also able to give out Focus to the PS4 pilots so it increases the potency of their 3 die shots. Would still suffer from Low PS and HP, and quite possible that the Swarm Leader gets focused down before he shoots, but if he survives, gets to throw back 5 dice. Could give up HSCP for Systems Officer and Lightweight Frame or Twin Ion on the GSP. Two Jukes would still allow for one to be effective if they focused, and is able to give the Swarm Leader a fully modified shot, assuming he survives.

Could try to make this work with Interceptors with Royal Guard Pilots, Pure Sabacc, and a Gamma Vet with Adaptability, but I think you would give up too much, and PS would probably die a swift death in that kind of a squad. Really he needs to be flanked by Juking x7 Defenders, but at that point, you are saying that you plan to win essentially with Juking x7 defenders and maybe one 5 dice shot from PS. Not a sound victory plan in my opinion.

Edited by Raven19528

My first thought was this...

Colonel Vessery (Swarm Leader and TIE/x7)

and 2 x Glaive Squadron Pilot (TIE/x7)

(all at PS6)

but I think I prefer this...

Maarek Stele (Swarm Leader and TIE/x7)

and 2 x Glaive Squadron Pilot (Adaptability Up and TIE/x7)

(all at PS7)

Talonbane Cobra (28)
Swarm Leader (3)

Tansarii Point Veteran (17)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Proton Rockets (3)
Guidance Chips (0)
"Heavy Scyk" Interceptor (Missile) (2)

Attanni Mindlink (1)
Proton Rockets (3)
Guidance Chips (0)

Attanni Mindlink (1)
Proton Rockets (3)
Guidance Chips (0)

5x Academy Pilots = 60

Vader, x1, ATC, Engine Upgrade, Swarm Leader = 37

You have 3 options at this point:

Ion Pulse Missiles, to have a bit of control at just the right time.

Prockets, for end game punch when you need it.

Thread Tracers, because sometimes you just want to joust the hell out of something. This leaves you woth a 2 point bid, which is desirable, but maybe not necessary. You've got a lot of blockers.

So you don't like the idea of dropping the engine to upgrade the Academies?  Not worth losing it on Vader?  I'm sure two TIEs can keep up with a boosting Vader, just thought the PS3 would be better.

I'm not sure Vader is tough enough to get away without Engine Upgrade. I'm okay with PS1, and you really can't afford to let Vader die.

I agree that Vader is the best option and that Academy Pilots are his best crew.  I know people are looking at /x7, but I don't rate it.  It's going to be pretty situational that you won't want to use your free Evade for defense on the Tie Defender.  I mean, what makes them great is that they get the free Evade.  So...you want to make that person vulnerable to boost another attack?  Or, if you wait for a right moment, you are pretty much only getting to use Swarm Leader how often?  There are also only 2 Tie Defenders.  So....if they die first (without that free Evade), then you are pretty much removing the boost to the attack.  

Academy Pilots are great because they are PS 1.  You don't want to set up in formation.  You want to literally swarm your opponent.  If you have 5 pilots, you can set up a field of Tie Fighters that will block a lot of movement for your opponent.  It sets up a bump train that forces your opponent to bounce back to the front of the Tie Swarm.  This will remove their action and put them in a spot that they didn't want.  Not only will Vader be able to boost his shot on people who use the Evade, but you will have a string of Tie Fighters firing at R1 (some 2) at someone with no actions.  That's a good thing there.  

Vader will want the Engine Upgrade because he might have to spent some time not adjusting his dice.  It's quite possible you will have to Boost and BR to get him out of arc.  You don't really want him taking hits.  It's probably better to fire unmodified dice than get shot at.  Vader is your key to the list.  He can't die.  4 dice with no modifier is not so bad...sometimes.  

Another idea for the spare 3 pts is to upgrade one Academy Pilot to Night Beast.  If he does a green then he gets a free Focus and can then Evade.  His PS is mid.  So, there is at least some action economy on one guy.  He only costs 2 pts more and you can save the last point for initiative bid...or give him Mk II engines for 1 pt.  That makes the 3 bank green.  Not necessary, but might be worth it if you don't think a 1 pt bid is worth it.