Sign in to follow this  
4fox100

Swarm Leader Builds

So with the new preview dropping i have to say. I am shocked, Swarm Leader (in theory) looks amazing. And since the Empire has X7 that get free evades it seems even sweeter. So i was thinking what better way to bring back a pilot who has unfortunately been fading in competitive builds. I am talking about the one and only, Darth Vader....ok hear me out. The problem with Vader has always been a lack of offense and reliable defense. Defense was buffed with Palp but his offense still suffered. Now with Swarm Leader coming out we have a chance to magnifly everyone's favorite Sith Lord's firepower. So i propose the following.

2X Delta Sq. Pilot

X7

Mk2 Engine

Darth Vader

Swarm Leader

Proton Rockets

Engine Upgrade

X1

ATC (or FCS?)

98 Points

This gives you 2 X7s which have been proven very effective fighters and Vader who has the option to debuff the X7's defense to boost his own offense (btw seems a very Vaderish thing to do). So with this combo you can have a 4 dice primary boosted with an ATC crit (or even spend the TL normally and treat the crit as an extra bonus if you roll well). Or a fully modded 4 dice primary with FCS (testing needed for this). With this Vader can become a potentially dangerous ace hunter able to punch through quite a few defenses with the extra 2 dice.

Only time will tell if Vader can return or if Swarm Leader will even be useful. Doesn't mean we can't speculate and have some fun with Combos. Who knows this could become a force to be reckoned with....or it could die and be forced into a shameful corner with some of my other ideas.

So let us use this thread to come up with some crazy ideas for this EPT. And who knows. They just might work.

EDIT: Took off Lightened Frame. Doesn't work on Agility 3.

Edited by 4fox100

I know the x7 Defenders look tasty with Swarm Leader, but a good sized swarm offers more evades.  Plus the low PS allows the more of a chance to take that evade action without bumping.  I kept your Vader theme and went with a mini (nearly full) swarm.  Bumped the Academies to Obsidians to use the points better.  Surely those five (or 8 if you drop the Procket) can be played around with.  Keep them together and a 7 dice FCS shot isn't out of the question with the Sith Lord.

Darth Vader (29)
Swarm Leader (3)
Proton Rockets (3)
Fire-Control System (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

Guidance Chips (0)

Obsidian Squadron Pilot (13)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Edit:  That 35 points is tasty to drop Soontir in there, though he doesn't want to hang out near a swarm.  That's why I dropped the EU off Vader.  No reason for him to go running off without his minions.

Edited by Rolotamasi

EDIT: Made a mistake with Lightened Frame. 2 points not 1

Also can't be equipped on agility 3 ships, so looks like Twin Ion it is.

I've been playing VI Vader in a Palp Aces list, and I know most don't like the damage output, but he had been solid for me. At PS11, I will (save for a very few select times, none of which are in the meta right now) move last and shoot first. ATC may not be everyone's favorite, but I think that guaranteed crit has won more games for me than I can count. To the point, I think Swarm Leader is a very Vaderish thing to do, but I don't foresee it coming into the meta. It's 3 points, and requires that the other ships have the defender in their arc, and takes away their evade tokens. That's a lot of cost to raise the dice that can be rolled (and potentially roll a miss) by a maximum of two.

I see it possibly working in things like Black Squad Swarms, or now maybe Omega Squad swarms (grab that TL), but with it being unique, I think you may find that Predator is a better upgrade for the same points. And it's not unique. If I was going to field it, I may try it in something like this:

Maarek Stele (TIE Defender) — TIE Defender 35

Swarm Leader 3

Tractor Beam 1

TIE/D 0

Ship Total: 39

Black Squadron Pilot — TIE Fighter 14

Crack Shot 1

Ship Total: 15

Crack Shot 1

Crack Shot 1

Crack Shot 1

Comes in at 99 points, and allows for reduced agility to be followed by a very powerful attack. Plus the Crack Blacks can put in some damage on their own. Or you could use the new Strikers themselves for the dirty work.

Maarek Stele (TIE Defender) — TIE Defender 35

Swarm Leader 3

Tractor Beam 1

TIE/D 0

Shield Upgrade 4

Ship Total: 43

Imperial Trainee — TIE Striker 17

Lightened Frame 2

Ship Total: 19

Lightened Frame 2

Lightened Frame 2

Bigger guns, same overall HP, plus with the frame, you get essentially a 3340 stat line for 19 points. Problem becomes keeping Maarek alive long enough that this can lay on the damage.

I think that's going to be the inherent problem with this EPT, it's costs and the fact that it'll get focused down, as flying a swarm means that the one with this upgrade is likely to be the prime target.

Good idea with the swarm. Reason i went with the Deltas is 1. SL only chooses 2 ships. 2. X7s have an almost free evade. With your swarm idea a really entertaining thought along those lines is to drop to Academies and drop the Prockets. Add Howlrunner for the folowing.

Vader

Swarm Leader

X1

FCS

Howlrunner

X4 Academies

Now your swarm can pack a punch as well. Two thumbs up btother. Let's keep those ideas cranking.

Good idea with the swarm. Reason i went with the Deltas is 1. SL only chooses 2 ships. 2. X7s have an almost free evade. With your swarm idea a really entertaining thought along those lines is to drop to Academies and drop the Prockets. Add Howlrunner for the folowing.

Vader

Swarm Leader

X1

FCS

Howlrunner

X4 Academies

Now your swarm can pack a punch as well. Two thumbs up btother. Let's keep those ideas cranking.

I like it, this way it can maybe keep Howlie alive a bit longer, seeing as she isn't the dead give away first target.

I was thinking imperial initially, but now I saw something and I think it may be what's needed here:

Jess Pava — T-70 X-Wing 25

R2-D6 1

Swarm Leader 3

Integrated Astromech 0

Ship Total: 29

Green Squadron Pilot — A-Wing 19

Juke 2

Chardaan Refit -2

A Score to Settle 0

A-Wing Test Pilot 0

Green Squadron Pilot — A-Wing 19

Juke 2

Chardaan Refit -2

Crack Shot 1

A-Wing Test Pilot 0

Ship Total: 20

Wes Janson — X-Wing 29

Veteran Instincts 1

R3 Astromech 2

Integrated Astromech 0

Ship Total: 32

Formation flying, and focused targeting on this makes for big trouble for the opponent. Wes strips focus, then the As with their evade tokens can Juke through a couple of shots before Jess takes their evades and throws another big shot at the enemy. R3 allows Wes to possibly contribute as well if he doesn't get shot at. I think the combo with Juke and a lower (or same) PS shooting maximizes the effectiveness of those evade tokens.

I know the x7 Defenders look tasty with Swarm Leader, but a good sized swarm offers more evades.  Plus the low PS allows the more of a chance to take that evade action without bumping.  I kept your Vader theme and went with a mini (nearly full) swarm.  Bumped the Academies to Obsidians to use the points better.  Surely those five (or 8 if you drop the Procket) can be played around with.  Keep them together and a 7 dice FCS shot isn't out of the question with the Sith Lord.

Darth Vader (29)

Swarm Leader (3)

Proton Rockets (3)

Fire-Control System (0)

TIE/x1 (0)

Guidance Chips (0)

Edit:  That 35 points is tasty to drop Soontir in there, though he doesn't want to hang out near a swarm.  That's why I dropped the EU off Vader.  No reason for him to go running off without his minions.

So, I kind of like the Defenders better, because they CAN bump and get their evade. If you play your cards right, you'll have a Defender that is touching an enemy, has them in arc, and can't be shot by them while they're stripped of an evade.

Sure, doesn't work as well if there are other enemies still on the board, but I really appreciate being able to reduce shots on your naked ship. And you could always fly them avoid the bump, if you think the focus token/barrel roll is worth it.

Definitely something to be said for a support "swarm," though, as you can pick and choose, potentially, who is losing their evade token.

But Defenders have more options with this than I suspect everyone will realize at first.

Edited by ArbitraryNerd

Why not give the Wave 10 ships a go instead of just their upgrades ;)

Ryad - PTL, X7, Mk2

Glaive - Juke, X7, Mk2

Pure Sabacc - Swarm Leader, Lightweight Frame, Adaptive Ailerons

- 98 points.

Glaive gets to make the most of his Evade to use Juke, Ryad has already PTL'd so doesnt need the evade when her turn comes and 'PS' at R1 just dropped a 7 Dice attack up your nose (Focus or TL, its your choice).

Edited by Sonikgav

Omega (99)

"Omega Leader" (29) - TIE/FO Fighter

Juke (2), Comm Relay (3), Stealth Device (3)

"Omega Ace" (28) - TIE/FO Fighter

Swarm Leader (3), Pattern Analyzer (2), Stealth Device (3)

Omega Squadron Pilot (21) - TIE/FO Fighter

Crack Shot (1), Comm Relay (3)

Potential for a 5 crit attack if Omega Ace can line up a range 1 shot with target lock, focus and Swarm Leader.

Omega (99)

Potential for a 5 crit attack if Omega Ace can line up a range 1 shot with target lock, focus and Swarm Leader.

You're going to struggle to keep arcs, here, especially since Omega Leader shouldn't ever be giving up her Evade, so you really only have the OSPs for evade feeders. And, once one is gone, nada.

Omega (99)

You're going to struggle to keep arcs, here, especially since Omega Leader shouldn't ever be giving up her Evade, so you really only have the OSPs for evade feeders. And, once one is gone, nada.

True, but they can evade first turn and then hold off until the time is right.  One time use sure, but properly lined up would be a heavy hit.  If you an find the juke points to make hanging on to the evade worth more, even better.  Something like this, though admittedly not super good:

"Omega Leader" (21)

Juke (2)

Comm Relay (3)

"Omega Ace" (20)

Swarm Leader (3)

Pattern Analyzer (2)

Stealth Device (3)

Omega Squadron Pilot (17)

Juke (2)

Comm Relay (3)

Juke (2)

Comm Relay (3)

Total: 98

5x Academy Pilots = 60

Vader, x1, ATC, Engine Upgrade, Swarm Leader = 37

You have 3 options at this point:

Ion Pulse Missiles, to have a bit of control at just the right time.

Prockets, for end game punch when you need it.

Thread Tracers, because sometimes you just want to joust the hell out of something. This leaves you woth a 2 point bid, which is desirable, but maybe not necessary. You've got a lot of blockers.

5x Academy Pilots = 60

Thread Tracers, because sometimes you just want to joust the hell out of something. This leaves you woth a 2 point bid, which is desirable, but maybe not necessary. You've got a lot of blockers.

So you don't like the idea of dropping the engine to upgrade the Academies?  Not worth losing it on Vader?  I'm sure two TIEs can keep up with a boosting Vader, just thought the PS3 would be better. 

Omega (99)"Omega Leader" (29) - TIE/FO FighterJuke (2), Comm Relay (3), Stealth Device (3)"Omega Ace" (28) - TIE/FO FighterSwarm Leader (3), Pattern Analyzer (2), Stealth Device (3)Omega Squadron Pilot (21) - TIE/FO FighterCrack Shot (1), Comm Relay (3)Omega Squadron Pilot (21) - TIE/FO FighterCrack Shot (1), Comm Relay (3)Potential for a 5 crit attack if Omega Ace can line up a range 1 shot with target lock, focus and Swarm Leader.

True, but they can evade first turn and then hold off until the time is right.  One time use sure, but properly lined up would be a heavy hit.  If you an find the juke points to make hanging on to the evade worth more, even better.  Something like this, though admittedly not super good: "Omega Leader" (21)Juke (2)Comm Relay (3)"Omega Ace" (20)Swarm Leader (3)Pattern Analyzer (2)Stealth Device (3)Omega Squadron Pilot (17)Juke (2)Comm Relay (3)Omega Squadron Pilot (17)Juke (2)Comm Relay (3)Total: 98View in Yet Another Squad Builder

You could drop the OSPs and a point of initiative to get 3 Epsilons. You have more bodies and arcs that way.

5x Academy Pilots = 60

So you don't like the idea of dropping the engine to upgrade the Academies?  Not worth losing it on Vader?  I'm sure two TIEs can keep up with a boosting Vader, just thought the PS3 would be better.

I'm not sure Vader is tough enough to get away without Engine Upgrade. I'm okay with PS1, and you really can't afford to let Vader die.

Rey: 58 pts

- Swarm Leader (3)

- Finn (5)

- Kanan Jarrus (3)

- Millennium Falcon (Segnor's Loop) (1)

- Smuggling Compartment (0)

- Burnout SLAM (1)

Green Sq Pilot A-Wing: 21 pts

- Chardaan Refit (-2)

- Juke

- Autothrusters (2)

- A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

- Adaptability (0)

Green Sq Pilot A-Wing: 21 pts

- Chardaan Refit (-2)

- Juke

- Autothrusters (2)

- A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

- Adaptability (0)

Rey can get a 6 dice attack, 7 at range 1 (in arc) and 5 dice attack, 6 at range 1 (out of arc). Just takes the right decision making to determine when Rey should use the GSP's evade tokens to add to her attack dice versus them keeping their tokens for juking.  

Edited by RStan

Im not sure having a bunch fodder is the best use of this EPT. I think the best use is to recycle unused natural evades. Remember the other ships need arc on the enemy, low PS ships will have a harder time getting arc. Which means have a good ship with an EPT in the mid PS range, so the higher PS cohorts who can get arc, have the chance to save themselves with their evade, and if opponent doesn't attack the swarm leaders wingman, the swarm leader gets a buffed attack.

Countess Ryad (34)
Swarm Leader (3)
TIE/x7 (-2)

Glaive Squadron Pilot (34)
Juke (2)
TIE/x7 (-2)

The Inquisitor (25)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
TIE/v1 (1)

Inquisitor can arc dodge, and with focus + AT, he rarely uses his evade unless things go bad or he is focused down. Glaive can take advantage of his evade with juke, before Ryad a PS5 ship who attacks near last can strip evades to boost her attack. She may not be getting 5 attack dice every round, but just getting +1 red die per round for an evade that probably going to waste is well worth 3pt EPT.

I believe that, one of the ship that benefit the most of Swarm Leader is Omega Ace. A simple Tie Swarm + howlrunner + Omega Ace could be devastating.

Howlrunner

Squad Leader

Omega Ace

Swarm Leader

Comm Relay

4 Obsidian Tie fighters.

Like this you have 5 crits in the first round for Omega Ace.

How about:

100 pts

Etahn A'Bhat (32), Swarm Leader (3), FCS (2), Stealth Device (3)

3 x Green Squadron Pilot (19), Chardaan Refit (-2), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Veteran Instincts (1), Juke (2)

All four ships have PS5.  A-Wings can use their evade with their Juke on their shot, benefit from the Crit off Etahn, the one that gets shot at can use their evade for defence and the other two can hand it over to Etahn for 5 attack dice.

Darth Vader (29)

Swarm Leader (3)

Proton Rockets (3)

Fire-Control System (0)

TIE/x1 (0)

Guidance Chips (0)

Prockets don't work with Swarm Leader. Swarm Lead is primary weapons only. So the max you can get from Vader is 6 dice with ATC. Not to shabby.

Omega (99)

True, but they can evade first turn and then hold off until the time is right.  One time use sure, but properly lined up would be a heavy hit.  If you an find the juke points to make hanging on to the evade worth more, even better.  Something like this, though admittedly not super good:

"Omega Leader" (21)

Juke (2)

Comm Relay (3)

"Omega Ace" (20)

Swarm Leader (3)

Pattern Analyzer (2)

Stealth Device (3)

Juke (2)

Comm Relay (3)

Juke (2)

Comm Relay (3)

Total: 98

This makes Juke and Comm Relay inefficient upgrades -- the ships have to have your opponent in arc already, so they're getting Juke shots... Unless you steal their evades because Swarm Leader shoots before them.

Noooo, Swarm Leader and Juke is really not a combo you ever want to put on a table. I fully understand situational usage of upgrades, but these compete too much.

Now, higher PS Juke ships and a lower PS Swarm Leader miiiiiiight have some use with Juke, but you wouldn't want to waste the points on Comm Relay, really, at that point.

Im not sure having a bunch fodder is the best use of this EPT. I think the best use is to recycle unused natural evades. Remember the other ships need arc on the enemy, low PS ships will have a harder time getting arc. Which means have a good ship with an EPT in the mid PS range, so the higher PS cohorts who can get arc, have the chance to save themselves with their evade, and if opponent doesn't attack the swarm leaders wingman, the swarm leader gets a buffed attack.

Countess Ryad (34)

Swarm Leader (3)

TIE/x7 (-2)

Juke (2)

TIE/x7 (-2)

The Inquisitor (25)

Push the Limit (3)

Autothrusters (2)

TIE/v1 (1)

Inquisitor can arc dodge, and with focus + AT, he rarely uses his evade unless things go bad or he is focused down. Glaive can take advantage of his evade with juke, before Ryad a PS5 ship who attacks near last can strip evades to boost her attack. She may not be getting 5 attack dice every round, but just getting +1 red die per round for an evade that probably going to waste is well worth 3pt EPT.

Nice list, but to really get under the skin of your opponent; this tiny modification seems delicious:

Countess Ryad (34)

Juke (2)

TIE/x7 (-2)

Swarm Leader (3)

TIE/x7 (-2)

The Inquisitor (25)

Push the Limit (3)

Autothrusters (2)

TIE/v1 (1)

How about:

100 pts

Etahn A'Bhat (32), Swarm Leader (3), FCS (2), Stealth Device (3)

3 x Green Squadron Pilot (19), Chardaan Refit (-2), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Veteran Instincts (1), Juke (2)

All four ships have PS5.  A-Wings can use their evade with their Juke on their shot, benefit from the Crit off Etahn, the one that gets shot at can use their evade for defence and the other two can hand it over to Etahn for 5 attack dice.

Very nice. I think it's important to note that Swarm Leader is probably best used as a way to capitalize on unused evade tokens, much the same way rebels are able to capitalize on unused focus with Rey, R5-P9, etc. Using evades for their designed purpose is probably going to be better in the long run, but when they are about to go unused, capitalizing on them with this upgrade is a good "consolation prize" if you will. That being said, it's probably going to be better to see it on a lower PS pilot, so most of the shooting is done by the time they take the evade tokens for the increased shot.

100 points

PILOTS

“Pure Sabacc” (27)
TIE Striker (22), Predator (3), Lightweight Frame (2)

Countess Ryad (36)
TIE Defender (34), Push the Limit (3), TIE/x7 (-2), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

Darth Vader (37)
TIE Advanced (29), TIE/x1 (0), Swarm Leader (3), Engine Upgrade (4), Advanced Targeting Computer (1)

could also switch vader to pred and give sabacc SL.......thinking about it with the actions that is probably a better call.