Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jarval

TIE Striker preview is up

348 posts in this topic

Probably uses evades to limit potential abuse by, at the very least, limiting ship selection

Alsi far easier to stack focus than evade

Especially with Manalinked squads being very effective and popular these days. 

ficklegreendice likes this

curious why the Swarm Leader uses Evades and not Focus.

I mean, yeah it does prevent Fleet Officer from setting it up with a single action, but it also locks out a lot of builds.

Focus is too easy to get multiples of. Operations Officer and Swarm Leader would be a great combo if that were the case. 

RStan likes this

TIE Advanced: •Darth Vader (33)

TIE/x1 (0)

Swarm Leader (3)

Advanced Targeting Computer (1)

TIE Fighter: •"Howlrunner" (18)

Adaptability +1 (0)

TIE Fighter: Academy Pilot (12)

Total: 99/100

I think Howlrunner is a waste in this list.  You don't want to fly formation.  She will just die.

So, if I am reading this right, Corran Horn could throw 5 dice at range 2-3 if hanging around 2 A-Wings... or even worse Han could throw 5 dice if he has 2 prototype pilots with him at a target then, with Finn gain an additional blank die and reroll all 6 dice with his ability.

My Corran and 2 A-Wing list might see a comeback.

Yes, provided you can keep them all on target. Swarm Leader looks to be powerful but its power requires good flying to use.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem with Corran and 2 As, One other odd thing, it just says the friendly ships have to have the target in arc, but not in range and range 1-3 of the shooter...... an interesting tidbit I noticed. Also on a double tap you could do 3 on the first shot so FCS gets a target lock and on the second shot possibly have a Focus Target Locked shot with a 5 (or 6 at range one) dice.

Edited by CJKeys
Punning Pundit and DavronERC like this

curious why the Swarm Leader uses Evades and not Focus.

I mean, yeah it does prevent Fleet Officer from setting it up with a single action, but it also locks out a lot of builds.

FFG has done a lot of work over the years to ensure that Focus is not such a no-brainer decision. They've added ways to give Target Locks defensive value through the R7, and Evade tokens gained offensive value through Juke.

Before this upgrade, there was no reason for Academy Pilots to ever take an Evade action. If the enemy didn't shoot at them, then the action was wasted. At least a focus action let them modify attack dice.

Now, that Evade action can let that Academy Pilot contribute a terrifying alpha strike. Even a lowly Black Squadron Pilot could take this upgrade to give you a 4-dice primary weapon attack for 17 points.

So, if I am reading this right, Corran Horn could throw 5 dice at range 2-3 if hanging around 2 A-Wings... or even worse Han could throw 5 dice if he has 2 prototype pilots with him at a target then, with Finn gain an additional blank die and reroll all 6 dice with his ability.

My Corran and 2 A-Wing list might see a comeback.

Yes, provided you can keep them all on target. Swarm Leader looks to be powerful but its power requires good flying to use.

That is not exactly a tough thing to do.

Empire gets another pack of superb pocket Aces with great self-sufficient abilities, while Rebels get a DOA Falcon with basically1 pilot, another ExPoeNsive T-70 garbage and a large-base B-wing.

As a dedicated Rebel player, I'm asking myself again - why do I even bother...

I feel like I'm just collecting Crew cards and get nothing to put on the table, that would surpass whatever was already released. Thanks.

Empire gets another pack of superb pocket Aces with great self-sufficient abilities, while Rebels get a DOA Falcon with basically1 pilot, another ExPoeNsive T-70 garbage and a large-base B-wing.

I feel like I'm just collecting Crew cards and get nothing to put on the table, that would surpass whatever was already released. Thanks.

But have you tried the VCX-100? 

-Imperial Trainee: The Strikers in this pic are definitely in outer space. Wasn't a lot of people claiming they would be atmospheric only?

-Countdown: nice name, really fitting for the ability.

-Swarm Leader:

Talonbane or Fenn Rau with Scyks, that's totally brütal!

Maybe TFA Chewbacca is not that DOA, as many claimed here: with some A-wings he's going to hurt the opponent.

Edited by Managarmr

Needs more Scum.

Seven Dice Fenn (99)

Tansarii Point Veteran (21) - M3-A "Scyk" Interceptor

Attanni Mindlink (1), "Heavy Scyk" Interceptor (2), Tractor Beam (1)

Tansarii Point Veteran (21) - M3-A "Scyk" Interceptor

Attanni Mindlink (1), "Heavy Scyk" Interceptor (2), Tractor Beam (1)

Tansarii Point Veteran (23) - M3-A "Scyk" Interceptor

Attanni Mindlink (1), "Heavy Scyk" Interceptor (2), Ion Cannon (3)

Fenn Rau (33) - Swarm Leader (3), Protectorate Starfighter

Concord Dawn Protector (1), Autothrusters (2)

You did see the Rebel TIE, right? With some very, very cool combos. 

And dismissing the new Falcon, T-70 pilots, and U-wing already, your Imperial envy is kind of blatant. Rebels are getting something different than Imperials. Suck it up, or play who you seem to really want to play. 

Oh yes, as an Empire player, I love it that we get the 6th ship of the same kind instead of some diversity.

BCooper85 likes this

They need to decide if Howlrunner or Vader is the primary target. She is partially in there to take some heat off vader during the first pass. If she is targeted, vader can get another 4/5 die roll with instacrit or reroll. The other thing I would consider is to drop a tie and change one tie to Scourge or Chaser and give Vader Engine and Prockets and Howlrunner stealth or Hull/Shield.

They need to decide if Howlrunner or Vader is the primary target. She is partially in there to take some heat off vader during the first pass. If she is targeted, vader can get another 4/5 die roll with instacrit or reroll. The other thing I would consider is to drop a tie and change one tie to Scourge or Chaser and give Vader Engine and Prockets and Howlrunner stealth or Hull/Shield.

You could also consider switching Howlrunner out for Wampa, and upgrading an Academy to Night Beast with Mk II engines.

Or dropping an Academy to upgrade your other pilots to Wampa and/or some Crack Blacks.

SF doesnt want to be stressed because it cant do a red move while stressed.

You have ANY idea how many times i use red moves on backdraft to get a sneaky side-shot?  The fact that its 2turn is white and not the 1turn really bites.

Also, focus TL > just TL. Unless youre taking a focus action, SF has nothing it can do with focus results other than reroll them as well as the blanks. It is REALLY rare for me to land 3+ hits w/o a focus.

Well I find it rare that I justify the one turn over the bank, because if you joust a ship, like I typically do with him and two defenders, you have a better chance of catching your opponent the next turn with the bank, because if your opponent flies fast, then he can dodge your sideways arc, but with the one bank and barrel roll has way more flexibility. And to use your argument against you, if you one hard you don't get focus, making you a big target kill you easier. And if you one bank followed by one bank or 2 hard, you can consistently keep your opponent in arc better because you can alway roll, one hard followed by 2 bank is going to throw you out of the fight more often then not. Because then you need to k turn to get back into the fight because your flying the other way much faster. And the target lock with the added hit is going to be plenty offensive most the time. And I usually save his focus for defense anyway, which goes perfect with LF

I have to ask, what sideways arc are you talking about? Because if you are talking about the Tie/SF there's not one.

TheOz likes this

*T-70 X-Wing: · Jess Pava (25)*

Seismic Torpedo (2)

· R2-D6 (1)

Integrated Astromech (0)

Predator (3)

*A-Wing: Green Squadron Pilot (19)*

Push The Limit (3)

Chardaan Refit (-2)

Autothrusters (2)

A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Crack Shot (1)

x3

-- TOTAL ------- 100/100p. --

Welcome to the tanky party!

Edited by ThatJakeGuy

Hi Folks! Well! It looks like we are one step closer to getting all of the new movement dials for Wave X!

Here is the new TIE Striker  & TIE Striker Mk. II  dials, God bless!

TIE%20Striker_zpszsiyhvpg.png

TIE%20Striker%20Mk.%20II_zpscz2k9zgs.png

Hi Folks! Just wanted to let you know that I've updated the new movement cards to include our new lovely TIE Striker,  enjoy!

P.S. I don't know about you guys, but the first thing I thought of was using Duchess with the Mk. II upgrade and Stay on Target as an elite upgrade and then staying at speed two - you get eight random maneuvers to choose from & all with or without using the Adaptive Ailerons!!!

[Edit: Spelling Errors]

Edited by SlaveofChrist

After thinking about it for a few hours, my conclusion is:

+ I like the synergy-based design of swarm leader, FFG should release more stuff like this or like mindlink.

o The lightweight frame is ok, but has a really small set of ships you could use it on. Depending on future releases, it might be usable on more ships, which I hope for.

- The Pilots are not really a sign of creativity. Duchess is yet another arc-dodger like EU Vader, Soontir and the Inquisitor, Pure Sabacc is another 'trigger condition' -> roll an additional attack die TIE (probably better mathematically but still the same concept) and countdown is another way of massive damage migitation (probably the 'best-designed' pilot though.

The funny thing with ATC Vader and Swarm Leader is that you actually might have an incentive to spend the TL to re-roll instead of just adding a crit.  If you roll 3 blanks, or so, and have a Focus in your pocket, maybe you just spend it to try and farm 2-3 more hits instead of leaning on the autocrit from Swarm Leader.  

Also, 

Quickdraw, Swarm Leader, FCS, Shield Upgrade = 37

5 Academy Pilots = 60

Jousting Quickdraw gets you two 5-dice attacks to the face.  God help you if you're in Range 1.