Sign in to follow this  
J Viz

Rebel regen

As it seems that rebel regen is back following the nerf to the jumpmasters looking to prep them for the regional season. Recently i've been running:

Poe (31)

R5-P9 (3)

Autothrusters (2)

VI (1)

Corran (35)

R2-D2 (4)

FCS (2)

VI (1)

Airen Cracken (19)

VI (1)

It's quite good fun flying everything at PS10 but Cracken is an obvious first target and a bad nice roll normally means the end for Corran although if he can avoid sustained attached the double tap is brutal.

Am tempted to change to:

Poe (31)

R5-P9 (3)

Autothrusters (2)

VI (1)

Red Ace (29)

R2-D2 (4)

Comm Relay (3)

Autothrusters (2)

This then leaves 25 points to play with could use variations of:

PTL Gemmer Sojan

Blount with something like assault missiles

A couple z-95 blockers

Blue Squadron T-75

What do you guys think, will Red Ace hold up better to defenders with the extra evade or is Corran still the best way to go (PS if i had a K-wing I may go the Miranda route but I don't :(

Black One is an amazing title, I know it doesn't synergise well with single-action Poe, but my god is it effective at nerfing ordnance alpha strikes. I'd really try and find space for it if it were me. :)

For my money I'd go Corran while you still can. The guy's a beast and his double tap is the perfect antidote to Defender token stacking... but when Kylo Ren arrives his days will be numbered...

Rebel Regen came back but it looks to me like it might well get whacked down again by /x7 Defenders. That free Evade token is almost as good as Regen on a turn by turn basis (although admittedly you cannot run away to recharge).

On the initial joust, it is fairly even but it is the next turn when things change. Defenders can K-Turn and still get their full actions and token stack. R2-D2 can only regen shields on greens and R5-P9 requires a Focus token which is vulnerable to blocking and red moves (although Pattern Analyser helps here).

I played my new /x7 Defenders against a pretty decent Regen list with Poe and Red Ace (similar to the OP) and Jake Farrel as the 3rd man. I thought it would be a fairly even fight but it wasn't even close. The /x7 Defenders were just brutal and ripped the X-wings apart before their Regen could recover very many shields. It probably helped that I play regen a lot myself so I know how to counter it but even so, I was surprised as just how effective it was. It all seems to come down to action efficiency, particular on the K-turns.

/x7 Defenders go through Rebel Regen faster than a vindaloo through a short granny. :P

Personally, I feel like you want to put your pts into one regen ace and have the rest of your squad composed of useful ships that can help out by enabling evade (Jan Ors), passing focus (Jyn) or just generally being helpful (a ship with M9G8 or even Biggs).

It's hard to get in multiple full regen ships which aren't a bit gimped, like OPs Corran.

Try Miranda as your main ship and go from there as she doesn't require upgrading to have regen, plus her ability works two ways and is dangerous as hell.

Personally, I feel like you want to put your pts into one regen ace and have the rest of your squad composed of useful ships that can help out by enabling evade (Jan Ors), passing focus (Jyn) or just generally being helpful (a ship with M9G8 or even Biggs).

It's hard to get in multiple full regen ships which aren't a bit gimped, like OPs Corran.

Try Miranda as your main ship and go from there as she doesn't require upgrading to have regen, plus her ability works two ways and is dangerous as hell.

Something like:

Die x7, Just Die (98)

Wes Janson — X-Wing 29

Veteran Instincts 1

Plasma Torpedoes 3

R7-T1 3

Guidance Chips 0

Ship Total: 36

Miranda Doni — K-Wing 29

Twin Laser Turret 6

Extra Munitions 2

Homing Missiles 5

Jan Ors 2

Long-Range Scanners 0

Ship Total: 44

Green Squadron Pilot — A-Wing 19

Crack Shot 1

Chardaan Refit -2

A Score to Settle 0

A-Wing Test Pilot 0

Ship Total: 18

Now this is probably only able to kill one x7 in the opening, but if you kill one in the opening round of fire, that's one less gun you have to deal with, which is infinitely easier than a full x7 list. Wes fires (plasmas if he's able, but otherwise a regular shot will do as well) and strips one or both tokens from the enemy. Miranda follows up and can make the Homing Missile shot 5 dice in the opening round, and since focus won't be there, it's 5 red dice with rerolls and focus (thanks LRS) against 3 naked green dice. If Wes did any sort of damage in his shot, you could easily find yourself with one less enemy in the field. A wing is a blocker, and should try to help kill some of that token stacking the defenders are known for. It has two points to play with right now. Jan on Miranda in the late game performs similar to C3PO regen Norra, but is more unpredictable and can dish out more consistent hurt.

Edited by Raven19528

Defenders are a problem, but you need to know your biggest threat will be everyone's new obsession with hotshot co-pilot. r5-p9 and poe are once again USELESS. the list you have built is good, just know that when you see HSCP, you will have a very, very tough time. basically come down to who you draw, i do not know if thats good or bad lol

I am not convinced that HoCo Pilot will make a big splash in the meta. 4 points is steep and you need something to put it in. Moreover, that transport really needs to be a high PS in order to be able to token-strip effectively. Fat Han might make use of him on the Rebel side but most other popular big ship builds have their crew slots full.

RAC is the obvious candidate for the Empire as it makes his attacks sting a little bit more. I can see this being viable with the 3 crew slots but Decimators are not exactly setting the meta alight at the moment, perhaps this will change.

Scum seem best placed to take advantage of HoCo Pilot but at 4 points it will be competing against a lot of cheap and effective choices. How many people will take him over Zuckuss?

I expect to see a few but I don't think they will rule the meta. Most likely you will see them used in squads that include Juke and/or Sensor Jammer to try to maximise the value of those upgrades.

I am not convinced that HoCo Pilot will make a big splash in the meta. 4 points is steep and you need something to put it in. Moreover, that transport really needs to be a high PS in order to be able to token-strip effectively. Fat Han might make use of him on the Rebel side but most other popular big ship builds have their crew slots full.

RAC is the obvious candidate for the Empire as it makes his attacks sting a little bit more. I can see this being viable with the 3 crew slots but Decimators are not exactly setting the meta alight at the moment, perhaps this will change.

Scum seem best placed to take advantage of HoCo Pilot but at 4 points it will be competing against a lot of cheap and effective choices. How many people will take him over Zuckuss?

I expect to see a few but I don't think they will rule the meta. Most likely you will see them used in squads that include Juke and/or Sensor Jammer to try to maximise the value of those upgrades.

I agree, its not a huge deal right now. i have seen  a huge surge in people atleast experimenting with it and someone one a regional with deci-ryad build. people are pulling thier decis out again. and they are putting HSCP on them.  if it does well in january it could be bad, but if doesn't the list will probably fade away.

Rebel regen is indeed a strong archetype again. That being said, you have to have more than just the regen to win against the current meta of Dengaroos and Defenders. Two pilots are the way to do it: Wes and Biggs

Pick your favorite regen ace, be it Poe, Corran, Nera or Miranda and run Wes and Biggs with them. Wes is a beast right now. He can take away any of the defender tokens, renders Vessery's ability useless in most cases, makes Dengar's first torpedo volley completely useless, and renders Manaroo useless in sending Dengar focuses to be used for anything other than defense.

And then there is Biggs...i mean not much more to say that hasn't been said. He is incredible in keeping all aces alive and lets Wes live plenty long enough to strip a literal handful of enemy tokens.

Edited by Fozzyman

Something like:

Die x7, Just Die (98)

Wes Janson — X-Wing 29

Veteran Instincts 1

Plasma Torpedoes 3

R7-T1 3

Guidance Chips 0

Ship Total: 36

Miranda Doni — K-Wing 29

Twin Laser Turret 6

Extra Munitions 2

Homing Missiles 5

Jan Ors 2

Long-Range Scanners 0

Ship Total: 44

Green Squadron Pilot — A-Wing 19

Crack Shot 1

Chardaan Refit -2

A Score to Settle 0

A-Wing Test Pilot 0

Ship Total: 18

Now this is probably only able to kill one x7 in the opening, but if you kill one in the opening round of fire, that's one less gun you have to deal with, which is infinitely easier than a full x7 list. Wes fires (plasmas if he's able, but otherwise a regular shot will do as well) and strips one or both tokens from the enemy. Miranda follows up and can make the Homing Missile shot 5 dice in the opening round, and since focus won't be there, it's 5 red dice with rerolls and focus (thanks LRS) against 3 naked green dice. If Wes did any sort of damage in his shot, you could easily find yourself with one less enemy in the field. A wing is a blocker, and should try to help kill some of that token stacking the defenders are known for. It has two points to play with right now. Jan on Miranda in the late game performs similar to C3PO regen Norra, but is more unpredictable and can dish out more consistent hurt.

That list sounds good to me but I'd alter the following things -

Give Wes R3A2 to deal out stress when he takes a token, which will hurt PtL Ryad.

Swap LRS for Chimps on Miranda, to make those homing missiles really count and give her 3PO who really helps keep her alive.

Your third ship is a bit of a conundrum. I like the GSP with A score to settle but perhaps you could get in another ordnance carrier? A Tala squadron with Homing Missiles and Chimps? Bring you up to 98pts and is another viable threat.

But def a good direction.

Some really good ideas there guys, thanks a lot. I overlooked the hot shot co pilot danger but I guess if I ran my list I would just send corran after that ship as much as possible (although he'll probably be getting flattened by Kylo Ren condition cards).

Def like the idea of trying to get an alpha strike in, it's not a build type i've really gone for before but worth a go

How would this work do you think?

Corran Horn (35)

VI (1)

FCS (2)

Plasma Torpedoes (3)

R2-D2 (4)

GSP (19) x2

PTL (3)

Crackshot (1)

Concussion Missiles (4)

Guidance Chips (0)

Title (0)

I quite like Corran with munitions as he can focus and save when attacking (unless roll 2-3 eyeballs). If not using the focus for defence for the double tap then have plasma torps with focus and guidance chips.

The GSP's have concussion missiles for the extra range as may be easier to get a shot off than with prockets. Crackshot should help get the damage through and they should also last longer than Z95s and can also TL and focus in one turn to get the shots away.

Still not sure if prockets may be better for the extra attack dice and with TL, Focus and Guidance chips must be an almost definite 5 hits unless manage to have 2 blanks left after the TL re-roll

You like munitions I see. With how you described the whole series of events: focus, fire, get TL from FCS, use Munitions in end phase, why not switch to Protorps? Makes the focus not as essential, plus good possibility of two crits going through after shields are taken down. You don't have it listed, but I'm assuming you meant to have Chips on Corran too. Also with Protorps, if you find that a barrel roll repositioning action is better than a focus, you still aren't losing much on average because of the protorps ability. I think that could work well.

As for the GSPs, I think you would do better with Prockets, and I think the PTL helps them get there. I would suggest if dropping to prockets to throw Juke on them instead of Crack Shot. Sure Juke can be countered with a focus token, but that has them spending focus on defense instead of offense, and it works on Procket shots and regular shots. Plus with PTL, having an evade token is fairly easy to do every turn.

Edited by Raven19528

I don't normally run with munitions but think that they will help get through the defence on a defender. Am now experimenting with:

Corran w/ PTL, FCS and R2D2

2x GSP w/ PTL, Juke, Prockets, Title and AT's

Is actually pretty good fun

My current favorite regen list:

Corran: PTL, FCS, R2-D2, Engine (48)

Poe(ps8) Lone Wolf, Autothrusters, Pattern Analyzer, R5-P9 (40)

Bandit (12)

Corran really carries the list from a damage perspective, so use the bandit mostly to make sure he doesn't get blocked early on and explode. Let Poe and the bandit try to burn down anything with BMST, and Corran does the rest. Probably better off just switching Poe and the Bandit to your favorite Miranda if you want to be competitive, but this list is so much fun to play.

Edit: Also, as somebody who flies Corran 80% of the time, this Corran is really the only Corran that justifies the points IMO so don't change him if you tweak this list. VI Corran isn't mobile enough nor does he have the action economy to stay alive vs many lists. PTL+Advanced Sensors is good at making him practically impossible to kill, but it is a point more than FCS and Defenders don't fear your double-tap anymore.

Edited by TitaniumChopstick

I've been using Corran flanked with Airen to increase his action options but PTL Corran is a lot more dangerous. I just often find that I have issues getting him turned round once he's stressed and someone sneaks in behind

That's why Miranda makes such a good partner for him as well. You can go with:

Corran: PTL, FCS, R2-D2, Engine

Miranda: TLT, Homing MIssiles, Extra Munitions. Rey, Adv. Slam.

NOTE: This is not a full build, there are still points left over for customization.

Basically Corran goes in first and does his thing, taking damage and getting his double-tap off. Then he runs away to regen, presenting a difficult choice to your opponent. Do you turn and chase Corran, leaving yourself vulnerable to Miranda's missile/TLT or do you leave Corran alone to regen and chase Miranda? Miranda is really good at running away herself with SLAM since you can just SLAM out of arcs until you have the opportunity to take unanswered shots at your opponent, therefor triggering her ability without the possibility of taking damage back. Rey helps make sure Miranda has mods for her missile, as well as have focus+target lock for her TLT later in the game. It also combos well with Adv. SLAM, since when you are doing the aforementioned SLAMming out of people's arcs, you can also grab a focus to be later stacked on Rey. You still have points left for several bombs of your choice as well should you so choose. Also, when given the chance to shoot Miranda's missile, note that you can boost it with her ability to 5 dice. Homing doesnt require you to spend the lock, so you end up with 5 dice with a lock + plus the focus that you stacked with Rey.

I've been using Corran flanked with Airen to increase his action options but PTL Corran is a lot more dangerous. I just often find that I have issues getting him turned round once he's stressed and someone sneaks in behind

That's why Miranda makes such a good partner for him as well. You can go with:

Corran: PTL, FCS, R2-D2, Engine

Miranda: TLT, Homing MIssiles, Extra Munitions. Rey, Adv. Slam.

NOTE: This is not a full build, there are still points left over for customization.

Basically Corran goes in first and does his thing, taking damage and getting his double-tap off. Then he runs away to regen, presenting a difficult choice to your opponent. Do you turn and chase Corran, leaving yourself vulnerable to Miranda's missile/TLT or do you leave Corran alone to regen and chase Miranda? Miranda is really good at running away herself with SLAM since you can just SLAM out of arcs until you have the opportunity to take unanswered shots at your opponent, therefor triggering her ability without the possibility of taking damage back. Rey helps make sure Miranda has mods for her missile, as well as have focus+target lock for her TLT later in the game. It also combos well with Adv. SLAM, since when you are doing the aforementioned SLAMming out of people's arcs, you can also grab a focus to be later stacked on Rey. You still have points left for several bombs of your choice as well should you so choose. Also, when given the chance to shoot Miranda's missile, note that you can boost it with her ability to 5 dice. Homing doesnt require you to spend the lock, so you end up with 5 dice with a lock + plus the focus that you stacked with Rey.

Yeah, now that looks like pretty good fun. I really have to get myself sorted out and pick up a K-wing

After playing 6 games yesterday, I must say this is by far the best regen ship I've ever flown and that's pretty much all I do.

T-70 X-Wing: •Poe Dameron (HotR) (45)

Autothrusters (2)

•Black One (1)

Push The Limit (3)

•R2-D2 (4)

Pattern Analyzer (2)

I never thought black one would be so big, but man is it great. Combined with R2 and PA, you can essentially do green 2 or 3 banks, 3 hard turns, 4 or 5 straights, regen, strip a TL, get a focus and end with no stress.

I'm still trying to figure out what to fly with it (tried a fully loaded Miranda, but not sure if she is for me).

With the meta all over the place, there are several anti-focus shenanigans, so I'm going to stick with R2. And I fear Corran will be on his way out with Kylo and BMS

After playing 6 games yesterday, I must say this is by far the best regen ship I've ever flown and that's pretty much all I do.

T-70 X-Wing: •Poe Dameron (HotR) (45)

Autothrusters (2)

•Black One (1)

Push The Limit (3)

•R2-D2 (4)

Pattern Analyzer (2)

I never thought black one would be so big, but man is it great. Combined with R2 and PA, you can essentially do green 2 or 3 banks, 3 hard turns, 4 or 5 straights, regen, strip a TL, get a focus and end with no stress.

I'm still trying to figure out what to fly with it (tried a fully loaded Miranda, but not sure if she is for me).

With the meta all over the place, there are several anti-focus shenanigans, so I'm going to stick with R2. And I fear Corran will be on his way out with Kylo and BMS

I don't think Pattern Analyzer does what you think it does. It's very similar to advanced sensors: 1. Start with no stress. 2. Perform Green manuver. 3. Perform Action 4. PTL for second action and receive stress 5. Remove stress from green manuver. All Pattern analyzer does is change those last two steps, letting you PTL and receive stress before you would clear it with a green manuver. It also works for red maneuvers, letting you perform your action before you would gain/remove stress from your manuver. It certainly doesn't let you clear stress off white maneuvers or regen off them with R2-D2. Sorry to spoil the party though... Edited by TitaniumChopstick

What I'm saying is do a green 1 bank, then PTL boost and focus, you essentially moved a 3 bank or turn. Do a green 2 straight, boost, that's a 4 straight, a 3 straight would make it a 5.

These are all green moves, with the boost. So you regen, and can still take a focus while stripping a TL without getting stressed (unless you were stressed before). While your greens can still be blocked, Poe's final position will not be as predictable, and that 5 straight makes him really hard to catch when running to regen.

What I'm saying is do a green 1 bank, then PTL boost and focus, you essentially moved a 3 bank or turn. Do a green 2 straight, boost, that's a 4 straight, a 3 straight would make it a 5.

These are all green moves, with the boost. So you regen, and can still take a focus while stripping a TL without getting stressed (unless you were stressed before). While your greens can still be blocked, Poe's final position will not be as predictable, and that 5 straight makes him really hard to catch when running to regen.

Ahh, I see. In that case, never mind lol. :P

I just want to point out one thing:
I strongly feel that LRS works better with Homing Missiles than Guidance Chips.
With Miranda boosting the number of dice thrown, you are more likely to get some eyeballs than a single blank. Furthermore, getting an early TL lets you get a focus for the turn you actually use the missiles.

Edited by StriderZessei