Sign in to follow this  
AngryAlbatross

Serious Gamers, What other stuff should I bring to Regionals?

Pistachios and water, i.e. sustenance. (edit:  :ph34r: )

The importance of a clean and effective carrying tray cannot be emphasized enough. You may consider picking up one of those card-sleeve-page things that can house your whole list without having to setup the cards individually at each match. 

Heed these words and good luck. 

Edited by Rinzler in a Tie

Having a tray makes moving between matches so much easier. If you don't have a tray, take one of the starter set boxes, and use it as a tray. (turn the lid over, put the bottom into the lid...)

Superglue. You may not need it, but you'll be happy you brought it if anything breaks.

Snacks, water, paper napkins, hand sanitizer.

Make a checklist for the components and run through it.

Damage deck.

Tokens.

Dials.

Bases.

Pegs.

Obstacles.

Dice.

Manuver Templates.

Base inserts.

Ships. :D

Number tokens.

Edited by Koing907

Also important is what not to bring. I tend to leave my entire collection in the car, rather than try to carry it from table to table. Even a backpack can be a little unwieldy depending on the tournament space.

Recruit!!!! You need to bring your guts!!!!! Tomorow you will face the best pilots - all who have a single goal in mind and that is to utterly destroy your little squadron. A Regional you say?!? You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villaney...

Fly casual ;-D

Edited by Sciencius

Also important is what not to bring. I tend to leave my entire collection in the car, rather than try to carry it from table to table. Even a backpack can be a little unwieldy depending on the tournament space.

I tend to use my Battlefoam bag as a side table, but I can't envision leaving my collection out in the car. I'd be too worried about someone doing a smash-and-grab.

And as others have said: water bottles and snack items (protein in particular; Clif bars or jerky are fantastic).

On the list of what not to bring: cold brew coffee. I made that mistake of drinking two of them at the Tacoma regional last year. It's hard to be at your best when your hands are literally vibrating.

I tend to use my Battlefoam bag as a side table, but I can't envision leaving my collection out in the car. I'd be too worried about someone doing a smash-and-grab.

And as others have said: water bottles and snack items (protein in particular; Clif bars or jerky are fantastic).

On the list of what not to bring: cold brew coffee. I made that mistake of drinking two of them at the Tacoma regional last year. It's hard to be at your best when your hands are literally vibrating.

thats what the autoblaster is for. or your trunk.

Double check your damage deck beforehand

Have a plan for lunch and/or dinner, you don't want to be living off of snacks all day

A good night of sleep - it's a long day of lots of thinking

Any rule interpretations that aren't in the FAQ but might be relevant to your list (such as Kanan vs. HSCP)

Re-read the latest FAQ beforehand

Water, and I do mean water, you'll want to stay hydrated without pumping your body full of sugar

Snacks - I find Snickers bars are great, they have the sugar for an immediate pick me up, and protein to keep you going through a game.  I also like mixed nuts and trail mix.

Table-to-table travel tray.  It can really be anything, I use an old plano so I pull everything together before I leave and it's all contained

A smile, firm handshake, and clean body.  After all, we're all here to have a good time!

An open mind.  Not only are you going to come across lists that you've never thought of before and need to quickly figure out how to take down, but after you games, it's not uncommon to discuss what happened, and when you got lucky or where someone was worried you were going to do something, or a point that you messed up.  Most of the time this is in reflection of the game and meant as a C+C, but let's be honest, we're not always the best with our tone of voice or our sentence structure and I have seen people get mad about it.

Good sportsmanship - I cannot stress enough that if you're watching other games, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.  It is not your game to participate it.  And good sportsmanship applies to your games as well.

Above all, make sure you have a good time and enjoy yourself!  I hope to see you at one in the future!

Along with the other points that have been brought up, I would bring along a humble spirit.  You may get obliterated by an opponent, so being able to shrug it off, analyze where you made mistakes, and get ready for the next round is a crucial skill to bring along.  My first tournament ever was Worlds 2015; my first opponent cleared me off the table in 30 minutes, but I learned not to split my ships up and was able to rebound and finish 2-6 for the day.

As it was stated before, make sure to get an adequate amount of sleep.  Playing multiple rounds of X-Wing in a day can be very mentally fatiguing, especially when you are trying to make the moves that will give you a chance to win.

All the suggestions here are sound.  I will also add, take the time to double check your components before checking on your next pairing.  Someone suggested to me once to count your damage deck between each round.  I started doing this and once a casually tossed damage card from people playing next to me ended up in my damage deck and a second time I left one on the ground that I may not have found later.

Shower.  Deodorant

Small pack for snacks/water & medical equipment (diabetic - being ready to be there for 12+hours).

Components as described above.

Good shoes.

Sleep.

Good attitude.

Cash (food vendors etc).

Copy of FAQ/Rules Ref/Dial Reference

Pen.

etc...

I find it really, really odd that self evidence things like taking a shower before attending a long and crowded public event are mentioned that often Oo

There is always that one guy......  not an epidemic problem but you are in an enclosed space, under somewhat stressful conditions, for an extended period of time.

For the love of _________...    Don't skip personal hygiene.

Question regard referenced material...is it within the rules to utilize an app on your phone for FAQs, Rules, Reference Cards, and Dial information? Or does this all have to be printed or in physical form instead of digital?