Sign in to follow this  
Darth Onyx

The Colonel's Pronounciation

Is my favorite Colonel (even better than Kentucky Fried Chicken's) pronounced VESS-ery such as in the word mess, or VASS-ery as in the word gas?  I know it's spelled Vessery and I pronounce it with the "e" and not the "a", but I'm the only one at my LGS that does it that way and I'm wondering if I'm in the wrong.

Edited by Darth Onyx

I call him "that dumb ship people like better than the countess even though her ability is way nuttier" but that's a mouthful so I usually shorten it to Vessery, pronounced as spelled, with an e.

Her ability is much more funky, his ability gets dice mods.  Funky doesn't win games, dice mods do.

thought this was going to be a joke about the designer's commentary at worlds

Cole - lone- nel vessery....

I usually call him Ze Collonell (pronounced as in Allo Allo).

Ryads ability enables ptl for dice mods

Vess' ability enables dice mods, freeing your ept for crackshot/juke

They work well together

It is true, though. Dice will always have the final say regardless of how you fly

Ultimately, you fly well to get better dice exchanges (hopefully) but said exchanges mean little if you let variance get to you

Edited by ficklegreendice

Is my favorite Colonel (even better than Kentucky Fried Chicken's) pronounced VESS-ery such as in the word mess, or VASS-ery as in the word gas?  I know it's spelled Vessery and I pronounce it with the "e" and not the "a", but I'm the only one at my LGS that does it that way and I'm wondering if I'm in the wrong.

That reminds me of when Daimler and Chrysler merged and someone asked 'How do you pronounce daimlerchrysler? Well, the chrysler is silent'.

Her ability is much more funky, his ability gets dice mods.  Funky doesn't win games, dice mods do.

I mean... On average rolls Vessery gets predator for free assuming a different ship has a target lock on his target. I can just add predator to a ship and get a reroll against anything I'm attacking. Sure he gets to take juke or something but without friends he's a slightly more expensive Glaive squadron. Green k turns at variable speeds is the sort of funky that means a ps5 pilot can give ps9 arc dodgers fits and she can just pack dice mods the way any other ship does, buying an ept.

Based on Worlds:

KA-LONE-AL Vess-er-ree

Yep. Official FFG source made this clear. All this time I thought Colonel was a title. Nope. It's his first name, and it's pronounced as seen above.

Just like Colonel Stinkmeaner.

Her ability is much more funky, his ability gets dice mods. Funky doesn't win games, dice mods do.

I mean... On average rolls Vessery gets predator for free assuming a different ship has a target lock on his target.
If you pair them, she can TL + Focus, he can Focus, and get the benefit of her TL. It's a nice combo.

I'm so sorry to do this, but the title has one of my pet peeves.

The word is spelled "pronunciation".  The "nun" is also pronounced as "nun" and not as "noun" - different pronunciation to the route word.

...may have had an incident at school once, we had a student teacher who was telling the class about his teacher training, and what it involved.  He said something like "...and we have to learn good pronounciation too!", and I mistook it for a clever pun and just burst out laughing...only to have everyone in the room glare at me, especially my normal teacher.  SO EMBARRASSING...this may contribute to why the mis-spelling and mis-pronunciation of this word annoys me so much. :)

I'm so sorry to do this, but the title has one of my pet peeves.

The word is spelled "pronunciation". The "nun" is also pronounced as "nun" and not as "noun" - different pronunciation to the route word.

...may have had an incident at school once, we had a student teacher who was telling the class about his teacher training, and what it involved. He said something like "...and we have to learn good pronounciation too!", and I mistook it for a clever pun and just burst out laughing...only to have everyone in the room glare at me, especially my normal teacher. SO EMBARRASSING...this may contribute to why the mis-spelling and mis-pronunciation of this word annoys me so much. :)

I just realized that as I opened up my post and it dawned on me....I think I may have spelled "pronunciation" wrong. Dang grammar Nazis. Lol Edited by Darth Onyx

Co-lon-el Vess-ery. But then again I'm the one person in my group that says "Leftenant Blount."

But that is the correct pronunciation of Lieutenant...  given it was pronounced that for a very long time before people got it wrong and started saying lootenant.

(colonel to me is pronounced 'kernal'   At least that's how we used to say it in UK armed forces.)

what with it being a French word and all that :)

Wiki.. not the best source i know...

"Pronunciation of lieutenant is generally split between the forms 11px-Speakerlink-new.svg.pngi/lɛfˈtɛnənt/ lef-TEN-ənt and 11px-Speakerlink-new.svg.pngi/lˈtɛnənt/ lew-TEN-ənt, with the former generally associated with the armies of the United Kingdom and Commonwealth countries, and the latter generally associated with anyone from the United States.The early history of the pronunciation is unclear; Middle English spellings suggest that the /luː-/ and /lɛf-/ pronunciations may have existed even then.The rare Old French variant spelling luef for Modern French lieu ('place') supports the suggestion that a final [w] of the Old French word was in certain environments perceived as an [f]"

Edited by Gadge