Babaganoosh

Announcing: Custom Card League Season 2

334 posts in this topic

Currently on vassal testing Bwing stuff

Game name is Jim

Edit: Breaking news, 3 bwings cannot joust 2 Tie/D defenders and 2 tie fighters. :P

Clearly your bwing fix isn't good enough!

Gyros may work as a de-agro tool, but dont really help survivability enough to affect jousting, at least in a 3 B list. Havnt tested the 4B but the extra guns and health will likely do wonders. It's the Bwing aces that need help, though.

I keyed Gyros to work off gaining stress because Istban, Farlander, Braylen, and half of Hera's ability work off stress. (Nera and Ten Numb's abilitiees key off parts of IWP instead)

Current text: When you would receive a stress token, first perform a free <Evade> action.

Proposed text: When you receive a stress token, receive an <Evade> Token.

When Attacking or Defending while stressed, you may turn 1 <eye> resut into Crit or Evade

If you have less than 3 stress, you may perform red manevers.

Now it gives Ten Numb a built-in Marksmanship effect- while stressed, the extremely expensive Bwing ace simply does not miss, which Ions, Tractors, and Plasma torpedos love. Nera and Istban also enjoy the accuracy boost.

Gaining the evade even when stressed and allowing red maneuvers while lightly stressed maked Farlander, Hera, and Istban easier to use.

jtM7ZQl.jpgywO0k1m.jpg

Too much?

How about:

When you receive a stress token, receive an <Evade> Token.

When stressed while attacking, you may turn a single <focus> resut into Crit.

If you have less than 3 stress, you may perform red manevers.

dwqdCIW.jpg

Less of a defensive buff for the Blue Squadrons, still keeps Tens pocket crit and Farlander and Hera's maneuverability.

Edited by Rakaydos

It seems kind of weird to me, but is there no way to submit an expansion that includes some existing upgrades? Not pilots, of course, but in the interests of verisimilitude to real expansions, which often have duplicate generics from other expansions.

(especially with large ships, which pretty much never have the 12ish upgrades as entirely new cards)

It seems kind of weird to me, but is there no way to submit an expansion that includes some existing upgrades? Not pilots, of course, but in the interests of verisimilitude to real expansions, which often have duplicate generics from other expansions.

(especially with large ships, which pretty much never have the 12ish upgrades as entirely new cards)

If these were real expansions being released, they would of course have several previously released cards, but to keep things simple for presentation and consideration/analysis of the custom expansion packs, we'll only be taking or looking at new/custom cards.  The large ship packs are going to have the same number of new cards as small ships so that we don't have people skewing towards making large ships so that they can make more cards, and to make the total number of custom cards we'll have for the vassal extension more predictable.

Edited by Babaganoosh

Okay, that makes sense - saves me making filler cards to hit 12 :3

e: new question: I notice on the submission forms it says 3-4 for upgrade cards - is that a hard limit or just a small-ship thing?

Edited by AugustineS
Babaganoosh likes this

Going to give this a go, so I have a few questions:

For putting an existing pilot in a different ship, are they allowed to retain their pilot ability? For example, Norra Wexley's target lock ability in a Y-Wing?

When you say a person is limited to 2 submissions, is that overall or per faction? So for example, could I only submit one aces pack and one normal pack?

Going to give this a go, so I have a few questions:

For putting an existing pilot in a different ship, are they allowed to retain their pilot ability? For example, Norra Wexley's target lock ability in a Y-Wing?

When you say a person is limited to 2 submissions, is that overall or per faction? So for example, could I only submit one aces pack and one normal pack?

Yah, you can keep the same pilot ability in a different ship.  So far, the standard from FFG seems to be pilots keep their ability if they move to another ship in the same faction (hera in ghost/phantom, sabine in phantom/tie, maarek in advanced/defender), and change abilities if they go to a new faction (boba and kath imp vs scum, sabine rebel vs scum, han/chewie rebel alliance vs resistence, etc)

Babaganoosh likes this

Okay, that makes sense - saves me making filler cards to hit 12 :3

e: new question: I notice on the submission forms it says 3-4 for upgrade cards - is that a hard limit or just a small-ship thing?

It's semi-hard.  I can make exceptions to add maybe one more card, if you can show that the expansion absolutely needs the extra card to work.  Large ships are not an exception; this rule is intended to limit the total number of cards we have in the league.  Too many and we won't be able to focus on them all at the same time and bad ones will get through.

I'm thinking that it may be helpful at this point (after having some discussion about cards and ships) to have some playtesting. To facilitate that, I'm going to set up a playtest group that can organize playtest over vassal. But I'm not sure about the best way to run it. Let me know what you think about these options:

1: forum thread

2: email exchange through shuttle Tydirium email

3: online document I.e. Google doc

4: other- make a suggestion

Edited by Babaganoosh

I'm thinking that it may be helpful at this point (after having some discussion about cards and ships) to have some playtesting. To facilitate that, I'm going to set up a playtest group that can organize playtest over vassal. But I'm not sure about the best way to run it. Let me know what you think about these options:

1: forum thread

2: email exchange through shuttle Tydirium email

3: online document I.e. Google doc

4: other- make a suggestion

5: Facebook Group

6: Discord channel

Discord could actually be good for organizing playtests.  The Knights of Ren discord has beena great way to get TTS games set up for Destiny

CaptainBrochette likes this

Does an Aces expansion have to be existing ships already in the game?

I would argue yes, because while you get extra cards, the balance judge dont have to go over your dial, stats and basic point costs if FFG already did so.

Plus, you know, that's how FFG does it- ship single pack, then ace packs for existing ships.

Figured as much. Just thought I'd double check as I can't pick between two new ships (Vulture and Hyena droids) to try add since only can possibly make it.

Maybe I'll just submit both and see how they go.

Question for you all.

5OeZlBP.jpg

It's a free defensive upgrade with a drawback that PTL aces hate, and is useful in direct proportion to how useful PTL is. Your tie fighter is armored to shrug off hits, but they destabilize the craft, forcing you onto a predicable path until you get it under control or get blown up.

The question is, is it GOOD ENOUGH? Even as an autotake 0 cost mod, would you actually USE it in, say, a howlswarm, often enough for it to matter?

Question for you all.

5OeZlBP.jpg

It's a free defensive upgrade with a drawback that PTL aces hate, and is useful in direct proportion to how useful PTL is. Your tie fighter is armored to shrug off hits, but they destabilize the craft, forcing you onto a predicable path until you get it under control or get blown up.

The question is, is it GOOD ENOUGH? Even as an autotake 0 cost mod, would you actually USE it in, say, a howlswarm, often enough for it to matter?

Could be useful on Howlrunner herself to keep her alive, but ultimately I'm not sure I'd use it.

I see two easy "grades" of buff.

1) Only take the stress if you successfully tank a hit

2) Always tank a hit, always stress.

Which feels more balanced for a 0 cost mod?

Edited by Rakaydos

For option 2 (always stop a hit, but take a stress), it would have to be limited to only working if you start out unstressed.  Otherwise, you can just always get a free evade at the cost of not getting actions or red maneuvers.

I'm having a hard time coming up with a good wording that's worth using for 0 points on a tie fighter or intercepter, but not ridiculus on a Delta Defender.

NRyhear.jpgtyvdp3p.jpgoX6WyQH.jpgYzvZa49.jpg

What's your goal for the card?  what are you trying to fix?  For intance, does it need to work for interceptors, or is it designed for the fighters mainly?  If it doesn't need to work on squints, "You may not equip this upgrade card if you have a printed attack value of 3 or higher" would prevent if from making deltas too ridiculous.

Im thinking the "not usable if you have shields left" aspect helps with the Delta issue, but the trigger for stress is up in the air.

Fighters dont have the best dial for clearing stress, but have the best hull/agility/cost ratio.

Bombers have a slower stress-clearing dial and the best raw hull/cost ratio

Intercepters have amazing stressclearing, but cannot afford to be hit at all

Tie FO clears stress like an intercepter, has plenty of defensive upgrades it can take.

Punisher is a shielded bomber with even less evasive damage reduction

Inquisitor has no hull to speak of (and only has the panels on the inside of the wing, anyway)

Non ryad defenders have some trouble clearing stress, but stack it with free evade tokens.

Also lets not forget Sabines Tie- a support ship in fighters clothing.

Im leaninf toward top row 2nd version, with the separate "always take a stress if you are hit" clause, but I may want the core ability to still count as a hit, even if it does nothing.

"When you are hit by an attack, receve a stress.

If you have no shields when you are hit by an attack, roll a defence die. On a evade or eye, cancel one attack die."

Okay, so if I am reading the rules correctly, you cannot use any ability that has been previously used in an X-Wing product.  So here is my question.  I am going to do a ship that has both a forward and rear facing firing arc.  I wanted to give it a title that gave it basically the same ability as the Tie/SF title. If I can't do that, can I just try to reword the ability to create the same effect?