Babaganoosh

Announcing: Custom Card League Season 2

338 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, Babaganoosh said:

you'll need to put them up on an image hosting site such as imgur, and link to those pictures

I think the new site supports uploading them directly, but I'm not sure (never tried). 

2 hours ago, Odanan said:

I think the new site supports uploading them directly, but I'm not sure (never tried). 

I have been trying to get my custom cards out of Strange Eons into either this site or Imgur for the past 2 hours and I can not get it to export. I am beyond pissed at this point!!!

21 minutes ago, JJFDVORAK said:

I have been trying to get my custom cards out of Strange Eons into either this site or Imgur for the past 2 hours and I can not get it to export. I am beyond pissed at this point!!!

what happens when you try?

41 minutes ago, JJFDVORAK said:

I just screen shot and microsoft paint the cards into a word doc, make a google doc, copy and paste, then provide a link.

Is the deadline for imperial submissions today? 13 pages is a bit too much to look through :P

This needs a facebook page or a blog dedicated to it.

Babaganoosh likes this

1 hour ago, VanderLegion said:

what happens when you try?

When I try to upload to Imgur, my computer cannot find the card files. But I can find them and open them in SE. I'm sure it is some sort of file extension that it just isn't recognizing, but I am relatively computer illiterate (what's a computer? Smartphones for life!:D) and I can't get it to work. 

1 hour ago, sf1raptor said:

I just screen shot and microsoft paint the cards into a word doc, make a google doc, copy and paste, then provide a link.

I think I could do this, but I'm not sure how to screen capture. I thought I just hit the Print Screen button, but when I do that nothing happened. So I'm stumped. I literally just might take a picture of the screen on my phone, then post to Imgur from there, but talk about a long process. I have a bunch of cards I wanted people to look at and advise me on. If I get to make changes before the deadline, I'll have to do it all again! Boo!

48 minutes ago, JJFDVORAK said:

When I try to upload to Imgur, my computer cannot find the card files. But I can find them and open them in SE. I'm sure it is some sort of file extension that it just isn't recognizing, but I am relatively computer illiterate (what's a computer? Smartphones for life!:D) and I can't get it to work. 

You need to export them first, buddy.

JJFDVORAK likes this

12 minutes ago, Odanan said:

You need to export them first, buddy.

How do I do that? I thought that might be the case but I looked through all the menus in SE and can't figure it out. 

10 minutes ago, JJFDVORAK said:

How do I do that? I thought that might be the case but I looked through all the menus in SE and can't figure it out. 

You can export cards by going to the file drop-down menu in Strange eons, and selecting the export option (underneath save I think).  It'll ask you what kind of images you want; I usually take the general purpose image option.  You can upload those images pretty easily

also, the deadline for imperial subs is 11:59pm March 21.  Anything submitted after that is not guaranteed to get into the voting document, but I will take anything I get before I start putting that together.

JJFDVORAK likes this

22 minutes ago, Babaganoosh said:

You can export cards by going to the file drop-down menu in Strange eons, and selecting the export option (underneath save I think).  It'll ask you what kind of images you want; I usually take the general purpose image option.  You can upload those images pretty easily

also, the deadline for imperial subs is 11:59pm March 21.  Anything submitted after that is not guaranteed to get into the voting document, but I will take anything I get before I start putting that together.

I don't know why I didn't see that. I literally looked in the file menu.  And I'll say up and post my cards to the forum tonight, hopefully get some feedback and adjust accordingly, then submit them Monday night or Tuesday morning via submission form email. 

So I finally got my cards to be viewable on the forum. I started my own thread here:

I hope you will all check it out and give me feedback. I'm going to do final revisions tomorrow night and then submit my entry.

Babaganoosh likes this

Yep, I got it.  I'm also going to send the voting poll to the expansion authors before releasing it for general voting this time to avoid errors of omission, etc.

Odanan likes this

Ok, I have some of the revisions and additions to my submission up. The link is 

I will be sending the submission email to Babaganoosh tomorrow at about noon. Please take a look and let me know of any last minute changes. 

Posted (edited)

I have a question regarding the submission forms.

Somehow I missed them when I was first reading the thread, and my 2-ship aces expansion is quite a bit off with the numbers- specifically, I designed it without any strictly ship-bound upgrades, but many of them will only work for a very limited number of ships (for example, one of the cards is an Illicit upgrade that requires a System slot, which is a condition only met by the StarViper and G-1A starfighter).

Overall, my expansion features 9 upgrade cards, including 4 designed to work with a very limited amount of ships. If it is neccessary, I can shoehorn it to fit the pattern (2 ship-specific upgrades for each ship + 4 regular upgrades), but  I would prefer to avoid it.

My question is: would it be OK if I submitted an expansion so noticeably off of the submission criteria?

If you would like to have a look at the expansion before deciding, you can find it here:

Edited by Elavion

2 hours ago, Elavion said:

Somehow I missed them when I was first reading the thread, and my 2-ship aces expansion is quite a bit off with the numbers- specifically, I designed it without any strictly ship-bound upgrades, but many of them will only work for a very limited number of ships (for example, one of the cards is an Illicit upgrade that requires a System slot, which is a condition only met by the StarViper and G-1A starfighter).

Overall, my expansion features 9 upgrade cards, including 4 designed to work with a very limited amount of ships. If it is neccessary, I can shoehorn it to fit the pattern (2 ship-specific upgrades for each ship + 4 regular upgrades), but  I would prefer to avoid it.

My question is: would it be OK if I submitted an expansion so noticeably off of the submission criteria?

If you would like to have a look at the expansion before deciding, you can find it here:

In the interest of fairness, i'd personally say that unless the submission follows the most basic rules, such as minimum and maximum amount of cards, it shouldn't be submitted. You currently have too many cards. This poses a problem because if your expansion were to get voted in, the scum faction would have a signficantly larger number of new tools than the other factions. I'm afraid that you're going to need to decide what 8 cards you can't live without. I had to do the same thing with Rogue Veterans.

VanderLegion and JJFDVORAK like this

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, Razgriz25thinf said:

In the interest of fairness, i'd personally say that unless the submission follows the most basic rules, such as minimum and maximum amount of cards, it shouldn't be submitted. You currently have too many cards. This poses a problem because if your expansion were to get voted in, the scum faction would have a signficantly larger number of new tools than the other factions. I'm afraid that you're going to need to decide what 8 cards you can't live without. I had to do the same thing with Rogue Veterans.

In all honesty, cutting a card isn't even that much of an issue- I'd prefer to avoid it, but I can do it without affecting the overall spirit of the expansion.

What I'm most concerned about is whether I have to artifically force half of the expansion to be glued to their respective ships- it wouldn't make much sense from the thematic point of view, and some of those cards can be very intresting on other ships as well.

Edited by Elavion

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Elavion said:

In all honesty, cutting a card isn't even that much of an issue- I'd prefer to avoid it, but I can do it without affecting the overall spirit of the expansion.

What I'm most concerned about is whether I have to artifically force half of the expansion to be glued to their respective ships- it wouldn't make much sense from the thematic point of view, and some of those cards can be very intresting on other ships as well.

I.... can't really comment in an official capacity on that. 

Personally, fix cards are fix cards. If you're trying to fix a ship, fix it. For your example of an illicit and system card.... That's a fix card, because it's intentionally designed to go on a tiny handful of ships. Most of the upgrade cards in your pack should not be fix cards. Cards that are not explicit fixes can be useful to the ship you are attempting to fix, but they should be equally useful to as many ships as possible. 

Edited by Razgriz25thinf

7 hours ago, Elavion said:

I'm going to say yes; the 'fix' cards need to be specific to the ships they're intended to fix - they should include the "X-ship only" text on the card.  Aces packs already start with a large allowance of custom upgrade cards; the fact that some of them can only be applied to certain ships makes the expansion more easy to assess.  When an upgrade is only applicable to one ship, the combinations available are strictly limited and the card is easy to understand and rate.  When there are fewer limitations on a card's use, it becomes harder for a voter to look at your card and understand its potential interactions.

Conforming to that might mean some redesigns for you; but I think this is a rule that shouldn't be bent too much.  Sorry!  If you want suggestions for re-theming some cards, I'd be happy to offer some suggestions.

JJFDVORAK likes this

55 minutes ago, Babaganoosh said:

I'm going to say yes; the 'fix' cards need to be specific to the ships they're intended to fix - they should include the "X-ship only" text on the card.  Aces packs already start with a large allowance of custom upgrade cards; the fact that some of them can only be applied to certain ships makes the expansion more easy to assess.  When an upgrade is only applicable to one ship, the combinations available are strictly limited and the card is easy to understand and rate.  When there are fewer limitations on a card's use, it becomes harder for a voter to look at your card and understand its potential interactions.

Conforming to that might mean some redesigns for you; but I think this is a rule that shouldn't be bent too much.  Sorry!  If you want suggestions for re-theming some cards, I'd be happy to offer some suggestions.

Alright then.

All feedback is appreciated. That's why I posted my expansion on the forum in the first place :)

JJFDVORAK likes this