Babaganoosh

Announcing: Custom Card League Season 2

332 posts in this topic

CUSTOM CARD LEAGUE SEASON 2

Skipray.jpg

Welcome to Season 2 of the Custom Card League! If you’ve always wanted to make and play with a new pilot, ship, or upgrade in the X-wing miniatures game, this is the place to do it.

In season one, we had over 300 entries. Of those, 4 ships, 16 unique pilots, and 20 upgrade cards were included in a custom vassal extension, which was used in the first X-wing Custom Card Tournament!

This season, we’re changing a lot of the rules about submissions, so even if you participated in season one, pay close attention.

The first major change is that this time around, we’ll be creating one new custom ship expansion and one aces pack expansion for each faction, each in a format similar to that used by FFG for their normal releases. Submissions will be made in the format of these expansions, instead of individual ships, pilots and upgrade cards.

If you plan on making an entry, check out the Submission Forms!

757px-Vwing_egvv.jpg

Creating Your Custom Expansion Submission:

This season, all submissions must be emailed to The.Shuttle.Tydirium@gmail.com

I suggest using the strange eons program and accompanying X-wing plugin for creating your cards and dials: Strange Eons Card Generator

Here are some helpful resources that might inform your card creation process:

X-Wing Probability Calculator (full version with hit PDF lines) (full version) (basic html version) by IronWardog
http://xwingdice.com/
MathWing: Ship jousting values and more by MajorJuggler
Ship durability (stat line only, no upgrades). Click "Calculating Expected Durability" and scroll down.
MathWing: Fixing the TIE Advanced by MajorJuggler
House Rules: technical balance fixes for casual play by MajorJuggler

While you are developing your submission, you are encouraged to share your ideas on this forum or others, in order to solicit feedback from the community. It is recommended that you post new threads showcasing your ideas for custom expansions (instead of posting your ideas in replies to CCL threads).

There are several restrictions on the submissions you are allowed to make in season two:

-Submissions must be made using the form provided, and must include images of the custom cards and dials (as necessary), as well as card editor program files for those cards.

-Submissions may not include cards or ships that were featured in the first season’s Vassal Extension. You may find a list of those cards HERE, or you can look at them in VanderLegion's Aurora Squad Builder app. Pilots featured in the first season extension may be submitted in season two, so long as they are flying different ships than they were flying in season one.

-No cards in a submission may feature card text or game mechanics identical to currently published or spoiled official cards.

-Custom ship submissions must be completely new ships to the X-wing miniatures game. If a ship is revealed to be in an upcoming official X-wing expansion, existing custom ship submissions of the same ship will be disqualified and replaced as necessary, unless all planned custom expansions have already been approved by the balance committee and the vassal extension is being built or has already been finished.

-Custom cards should be of your design. Do not submit cards or designs created by others without their consent.

-Ship and card submissions must be thematically justifiable in the Star Wars universe. New characters are acceptable unless they are clear spoofs, offensively or too-humorously named. Characters or ships that exist outside the Star Wars universe will not be accepted. (For example, you may not submit the Eagle 5 from Spaceballs as a custom ship, nor may you submit Lone Star or Barf as crew upgrades or pilots).

-You may create characters that do not exist in the Star Wars or any other universe; for example you could submit a pilot named "Lors Haldin", or a droid named "R2-B6", neither of which are characters in the Star Wars universe. You may also use characters that exist in the X-wing miniatures game, but they must be in a new card context. For example if a character exists in the official game only as a crew upgrade (Mara Jade, for example), you may not make a custom Mara Jade crew upgrade in the Imperial faction, but you may create a Mara Jade pilot, or as a crew card in a different faction. Alternately, if a character exists in the official game as a pilot (Ten Numb, for example), you may create a Ten Numb crew card, or a Ten Numb pilot card - so long as Ten Numb is not flying a B-Wing in the custom card.

-Submissions are limited to two expansion submissions per person. Additional expansions may be accepted on a provisional basis, but will not be accepted unless they meet a high standard of overall quality, or the category they are submitted for lacks sufficient submissions. Each participant can submit a maximum of 4 submissions, including the extra submissions. Keep in mind that only two submissions will be guaranteed to be included in the first round of voting per participant.

hownlrunner_02.jpg

Custom Expansion Voting and Open Development:

Valid submissions will be voted on through a publicly available Google voting form. Each account will be able to vote only once. Although there is no enforcement mechanism, I ask that each participant respects the process and only votes once (no matter how many Google accounts you may have at your disposal).

The top submission for each category will undergo an open development phase. During this open development, any participant will be able to submit revised versions of the submissions. Then, those revised expansions will be voted on, and the top versions of each component will be included in a semifinal expansion.

This semifinal expansion will be subject to an up/down vote; if it is voted down, the expansion will repeat its open development phase. If it is voted up, it will proceed to the balance committee review. If an expansion undergoes a second open development phase, it skips the up/down vote at the end of open development and proceeds straight to committee review.

The Balance committee will be comprised of 3-5 volunteers from the X-wing community. Volunteers with competitive tournament and custom card creation experience will be preferentially recruited for the balance committee.

During committee review, an expansion will be scrutinized for potential overpowered components. If potential balance threats are identified by the committee, the committee will be authorized to make changes to the components in question deemed necessary to protect game balance.

After all expansions have completed their balance committee review, they will be incorporated into the season 2 CCL Vassal extension, for use in the CCL season 2 tournament. Completed and approved expansions will also be entered into the CCL season 2 design contest.

Design Contest and CCL Vassal Tournament:

The design contest will be held as a vote; the most popular expansion in season 2 will win.

CCL Vassal Tournament:

The CCL season 2 tournament will be held after the season 2 vassal extension is completed. The tournament rules will not be officially determined until the tournament announcement is made, but these are the tentative rules:

-Standard tournament rules apply, in addition to:
-Players must include 3 custom cards designed in season 2, or over 20 points of custom cards designed in season 2
-Matches end after 16 turns of play

Season 1 Cards:

Cards from season one will be voted on by participants in the CCL season 1 tournament to determine whether they will be included in the season 2 tournament, dropped from the CCL, or taken through a round of development.

Conduct during discussions:

During Season Two, participants in the CCL are required to maintain an acceptable level of civility in discussions of custom cards. If a participant is deemed excessively combative, accusatory, or insulting towards other individuals participating in the CCL, they will receive one warning, and if that is ignored, they will be banned from making submissions, card revisions, or participating in the Vassal tournament. Any submissions made prior to their ban may be removed from the CCL at my discretion.

Thanks in advance for all those who contribute entries, and take the time and put in the effort to review and critique each other’s expansions. Now let’s have some fun with custom cards!

Edited by Babaganoosh

Links to CCL threads:[/size]

(Links will become active as threads are created)

Development threads:

Dead or Alive (Z-95 aces pack)

Veterans of the Rebellion  (X-wing and Y-wing aces pack)

[CCL] Missile Boat: To Catch a Defender (now with pics)

[CCL S2] InterceptorMad's Work

[CCL] Missileboat: The End of the Arms Race

[CCL] The Droids You're Looking For

[CCL] To Catch a Defender

[CCL s2] Nubian A-type Starfighter (feedbacks are welcome)

Custom Ship Idea - Droid TIE Fighter (The original TIE/D)

[CCL] Warriors of the New Republic(E-Wing Aces pack)

[CCL] Salvage-mechs: Need Feedback

[CCL] Y-TIE. Feedback please

[CCL] Chiss Clawcraft expansion. Feedback wanted

[CCL] Partisan Veterans(X-Wing and Y-Wing Aces pack)

[CCL] 40 Years of Speed(A-Wing Aces pack)

[CCL]Resistance Series IV Ewing, most powerful starfighter in the Galaxy

[CCL] A9 Vigilance Theorycraft WIP

[CCL] 0-cost Turret idea. Get your wasted crew slot back

Custom Ship submissions - first round voting - revisions  - final product vote - Rebels[/size]

Aces Pack: submissions - first round voting - revisions  - final product vote - Rebels[/size]

Custom Ship submissions - first round voting - revisions - second round voting - final product vote - Imperial[/size]

Aces Pack: submissions - first round voting - revisions - second round voting - final product vote - Imperial[/size]

Custom Ship submissions - first round voting - revisions - second round voting - final product vote - Scum[/size]

Aces Pack: submissions - first round voting - revisions - second round voting - final product vote - Scum[/size]

Final Products - Design competition vote -  Vassal extension & tournament announcement[/size]

Edited by Babaganoosh
Odanan likes this

Tentative Season 2 schedule:

Dates listed here are provisional and will probably change as the season progresses.  

Open submission starts:  January 15

Deadline for submission/start of voting on Rebel expansion submissions: February 2 (voting period:7 days)

Open development starts on Rebel expansions: February 12 (Open development period: two weeks)

Deadline for submission/start of voting on open development Rebel expansion revisions: February 26 (voting period: 4 days)

[Possible second round of open development on Rebel expansions: one week]

Deadline for submission/start of voting on Imperial expansion submissions: MARCH 21 

Voting on Scum expansion submissions: Two weeks after development ends on Imperial expansions.  Voting and development periods will match length of those periods for Rebel and Imperial expansions.

Edited by Babaganoosh
Odanan likes this

For your mara crew example, what if you were creating the same crew member for a different faction they would make sense in (in maras case, a scum version from when she's working for Talon Karrde) and with a different ability?

Odanan and Babaganoosh like this

I like the point requirement for custom cards this time around. Makes it so you cant just take a single custom upgrade in a normal list

(Also, you last post says Season 1 Schedule instead of season 2)

For your mara crew example, what if you were creating the same crew member for a different faction they would make sense in (in maras case, a scum version from when she's working for Talon Karrde) and with a different ability?

good point; I'll change that rule wording.  You can have the same character as crew in a different faction.

Edited by Babaganoosh
VanderLegion and Odanan like this

Ok. I think I may give this a shot. I'm got an idea for quiet possibly one of the only two uglies that would ever stand a chance in a fight.

I assume you're talking about the TYE-wing?

Ok. I think I may give this a shot. I'm got an idea for quiet possibly one of the only two uglies that would ever stand a chance in a fight.

I assume you're talking about the TYE-wing?

Nope. Its tougher brother, the Y-TIE. I'm not goin' to make something that got the nickname Die-wing.

VanderLegion and Babaganoosh like this

With the other of the 2 being the Chir'daki?

Yep. The only truly effective ugly, grant it, I have a unique upgrade in mind to show the rare cases where someone actually took some time and engineering with their frankin-fighter.

VanderLegion likes this

What other custom ships are people thinking of submitting?

I'm going to be taking another crack at the Scimitar Assault Bomber, my pet project.  I'll also be doing an Imperial Faction aces pack.

the 20 point requirement is biased toward custom ships, and against ship fixes.

If I entered a fixed Bwing loaded with gear it would not normally be able to afford, thats still in the spirit of the ccl even if each ship only has 2 points of custom upgrades.

"At least 4 custom pilot or upgrade cards" might work better.

If I entered a fixed Bwing loaded with gear it would not normally be able to afford, thats still in the spirit of the ccl even if each ship only has 2 points of custom upgrades.

Yeah the interaction with ship fixes does make a problem for this rule.  I might change it to your suggestion or something similar as we get closer.  

Edited by Babaganoosh
VanderLegion likes this

My current thoughts are the Chiss Clawcraft and the Havoc.  I've also thought about a StarViper Aces pack (though not being able to add Talonbane is sad.  hopefully he makes it through from season 1 for it to not matter. just means I have to come up with another pilot to add...).  Would mean a lotta starviper pilots if I added2 new ones to the 2 from season 1 :P.   The other two I have built already and might think about revisiting is the StealthX and Preybird.  I also have a Miy'til partly designed.

Gotta decide what to focus on, but clawcraft and havoc are the current frontrunners.  StealthX is tempting as well though...

Yeah the interaction with ship fixes does make a problem for this rule.  I might change it to your suggestion or something similar as we get closer.  

Another thought is to count a "fixed" ship toward your total. So if you're flying an x-wing or a b-wing or starviper or whatever with an included fix, it ocunts towards your 20 points even if it's an existing pilot.

Or possibly just make it require 1 ship from a CCL expansion.  that way it can be either a custom ship or an existing ship with the included fix (fix card at a minimum required), but allow either new or existing pilots for that ship.

What about non ccl ships carrying cards released for ccl?

Taking my bwing expansion as an example, vessery with a Composite Beam cannon, with a palpshuttle bringing tactical avionics system and the shuttle title. Thats several custom cards used outside their faction... does it count as a legal list?

Gotta decide what to focus on, but clawcraft and havoc are the current frontrunners.  StealthX is tempting as well though...

If I'm being honest, I think the Clawcraft, as cool as it is, is a tough sell because of its lack of a faction identity. It looks entirely Imperial, but... it isn't really. It's just in a really odd spot.

We could definitely debate whether that should be legal; that's two (or three? Is that a custom shuttle title?) custom cards.  I'd say that's too few.

I think we need to do a card count and not a point count for sure. You can have as few as one new 0 or 1 point upgrade from the latest wave in a squad and it will completely change the way the list flies without it. Heck, I was just making some lists with Inspiring Recruit, and it's crazy how many different competitive builds you can make that weren't available before just because of 1 new card.

I say just make the rule that 1 (or maybe 2) card(s) in the list must be from the CCL, with a special note that you reserve the right to drop someone from the league if they look to circumvent this rule by fielding useless upgrades. A point count forces players to consider higher priced upgrades over lower ones, especially if they do not want to fly a new ship and instead want to use old ships with new upgrades. I think that would be bad for the league if this becomes the case.

If I'm being honest, I think the Clawcraft, as cool as it is, is a tough sell because of its lack of a faction identity. It looks entirely Imperial, but... it isn't really. It's just in a really odd spot.

Maybe.  My submission for it would be for Rebel based on Jag and Shawnkyr flying with the republic during the NJO in the legends books.  Could fit as imperial as well (with the same pilots no less, pretty sure I have versions of both built for imperial as well with different abilities) but doesn't add as much to imperial compared to existing ships as it would for rebel.

It'll probably end up as one of my submissions regardless of changes since it's my favorite star wars ship and I really wanna fly it :P

We could definitely debate whether that should be legal; that's two (or three? Is that a custom shuttle title?) custom cards.  I'd say that's too few.

I think we need to do a card count and not a point count for sure. You can have as few as one new 0 or 1 point upgrade from the latest wave in a squad and it will completely change the way the list flies without it. Heck, I was just making some lists with Inspiring Recruit, and it's crazy how many different competitive builds you can make that weren't available before just because of 1 new card.

I say just make the rule that 1 (or maybe 2) card(s) in the list must be from the CCL, with a special note that you reserve the right to drop someone from the league if they look to circumvent this rule by fielding useless upgrades. A point count forces players to consider higher priced upgrades over lower ones, especially if they do not want to fly a new ship and instead want to use old ships with new upgrades. I think that would be bad for the league if this becomes the case.

I bet there's a good rule that we can implement that doesn't require me being big brother policeman during the tournament. Maybe we could say 20 points, or 4+ cards qualifies a list

Kdubb likes this

I bet there's a good rule that we can implement that doesn't require me being big brother policeman during the tournament. Maybe we could say 20 points, or 4+ cards qualifies a list

I still think 4+ cards is pretty heavy. Like I mention, you can make a totally original list with only a couple or a single new upgrade.

And I doubt you would have to police it at all. Just say doing something like that is illegal and it simply wont happen. But I could abide by the 4 card minimum limit I'm sure if you decide to go with that. Maybe meet in the middle at 3?

CaptainBrochette likes this

I can help with that. Chiss Clawcraft belonged to Thrawn's rogue phalanx until after the Galactic Civil War ended. It is primarily a Empire of the Hand fighter and not Chiss Ascendancy craft until the Kilik war.

When Fel basically had another Imperial Civil War, the Empire of the Hand supported him with a couple squadrons of them. It is, as it has been used, primarily a Imperial craft.

I still think 4+ cards is pretty heavy. Like I mention, you can make a totally original list with only a couple or a single new upgrade.

And I doubt you would have to police it at all. Just say doing something like that is illegal and it simply wont happen. But I could abide by the 4 card minimum limit I'm sure if you decide to go with that. Maybe meet in the middle at 3?

i share the same thought, 3 seem a good compromise.

For example, Someone who bring a list with Wedge+Luke with both a new astromech (from a E/Xwing "fix" expension) and a Uwing with a custom crew (from a YT-1210 rebel pack). I think it's a nice and original use of the custom cards with only 3 cards from the Custom expansion. Look the cleverness of the crackswarm list from the wave 7-8 : 6 ships w/ EPT from the wave 1 and only one 1pt card from the last wave.

Kdubb likes this

I was thinking about the Volt Cobra. I'd have to make overall estimated guesses as to what exact kind of YT model it is, but I have some great ideas for it such as:

- 2 Mobile Firing Arcs BUT NO PRIMARY 

- Action bar that contains: Focus, Target Lock, Mobile Arc Turn (can turn both in 1 action), AND SLAM

- Volt Cobra title card that allows you to SLAM 1 maneuver speed faster than the maneuver speed you performed in that activation phase

- Probably an overall health of 9-10, 1 or 2 Evade dice (still debating), and 2 attack dice, ALTHOUGH if you overlap your firing arcs in the same area or if the ship you are attacking is in both firing arcs, then the attack value increases to 3. 

- One obvious pilot being Sana Starros, beyond that, I'll have to do a little more research. 

- At least one crew option and probably Illicit, more research to determine further potential upgrades. 

- A dial similar to the Shadowcaster.

I haven't read the full comics myself so I can't say for sure Rebels or Scum, but I'm going to assume Rebels unless someone else can clarify if that does/doesn't make sense. 

Thoughts? 

Edited by RStan
Babaganoosh likes this