Sign in to follow this  
any2cards

Beyond the Threshold - Update

Link to Article: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/11/30/forbidden-knowledge-1/

2ylmyqx.png

I really like what I see here.  I am intrigued by the moving tiles, reshaping the house as the scenario develops.  Some interesting possibilities emerge with this ability.

oq94k4.png

2uttb0k.png

The abilities of both Akachi and Wilson are interesting as well.

I also am fascinated by what could happen with the new key tokens, and to the items on which they are placed.

Edited by any2cards

I'm super excited for the "key" tokens. Finally, rather than monsters attacking someone "with the most items" they'll have more direct motivation to "attack the closest investigator with a key item" thus being more thematic. No more one person with the evidence conviently working away on a puzzle as the antagonist battles someone who just has the most items.

This expansion isn't as small as we were lead to believe. 6 map tiles not 3, although only the 1/3 size, 4 thralls instead of one and 2 new scenarios.

The downside, it only works with the base game. :unsure:

I see why they would set it up to only work with the base game but the technology can surely generate scenarios based on all the products you own, not just two.

Hope the DLCs use ALL the products we own, not just the base game. Otherwise, what is the point in owning the expansions?

Edited by Mep

This expansion isn't as small as we were lead to believe. 6 map tiles not 3, although only the 1/3 size, 4 thralls instead of one and 2 new scenarios.

Thanks to a observant player and a subsequent post on BGG, we knew there was 6 double-sided tiles and 2 scenarios before the expansion was even officially announced.   :)

Edited by KBlumhardt

Possibly because they tested it as first expansion for the base game, so, no other content was available at that time? Just a guess, of course

The article suggests that it uses only the base game tiles, but what about the monsters? Maybe it can use some from the other expansions?

This is how it is always set up with FFG, look at Descent or IA, any single expansion can be played with JUST the base game and that expansion. This is done to promote sales to anyone and not just those that have to 'catchem all!!'. It makes sense, why limit your customer base? The point of owning the expansions is that when you play the scenario specific to that expansion it will draw heavily upon those tiles.

Now that all being said, FFG has said in Descent (and I've seen this first hand playing the app) that by telling the app what you own it will encourage it to draw upon monsters from all of the expansions and not just the one you are playing. So it might not be a heavy influence, but don't be surprised if non core monsters/tiles show up in other expansion scenarios.

This is how it is always set up with FFG, look at Descent or IA, any single expansion can be played with JUST the base game and that expansion. This is done to promote sales to anyone and not just those that have to 'catchem all!!'. It makes sense, why limit your customer base? The point of owning the expansions is that when you play the scenario specific to that expansion it will draw heavily upon those tiles.

Now that all being said, FFG has said in Descent (and I've seen this first hand playing the app) that by telling the app what you own it will encourage it to draw upon monsters from all of the expansions and not just the one you are playing. So it might not be a heavy influence, but don't be surprised if non core monsters/tiles show up in other expansion scenarios.

I agree with everything you said above.

Still, I am really hoping that the day eventually comes that FFG finally releases expansions/campaigns/DLCs that will utilize all parts of a game ... hopefully this is true for MOM2e, D2e, etc.

If they simply state what is required, then those of us that can utilize it (because we DO have it all), can make the decision to purchase it, those that don't, won't.

I am even fine if this doesn't happened until the end of life for the product.  I can't even begin to imagine a full blown campaign that has the ability to draw from all expansions of the game, and how sweet it would be.  Yes, I know that products like D2e have the quest vault, and I can get fan made quests like this.

I still want one produced by FFG.

I see why they would set it up to only work with the base game but the technology can surely generate scenarios based on all the products you own, not just two.

Hope the DLCs use ALL the products we own, not just the base game. Otherwise, what is the point in owning the expansions?

This is where I would think the app functionality would provide a big boost over a pure board game. It would be ridiculous to print a scenario book with different versions of the scenarios based on what components you own - much easier to do electronically.

Edited by mjfilla

No issues with it just working with the base game if that is all that the player has in their collection, but the technology can handle incorporating tiles from all the expansions in a players collection. I get the felling with the moving tiles and having to account for how each tile works with each other, they just got lazy and excluded the other expansions.

No issues with it just working with the base game if that is all that the player has in their collection, but the technology can handle incorporating tiles from all the expansions in a players collection. I get the felling with the moving tiles and having to account for how each tile works with each other, they just got lazy and excluded the other expansions.

Even if that is the case, the scenarios could certainly be updated at a later date to have map variants using tiles from other expansions.

Sorry for the obvious question: what does DLC(s) mean?

No worries. There is a completely unmanageable set of acronyms utilized on these forums.

DLC - DownLoadable Content

To be fair, the usage of the term "DLC" extends waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond these forums.  However, if someone is not into video games, it's certainly understandable that they wouldn't be familiar with the acronym.

Given that the game is entirely app driven, there is really no excuse for FFG NOT to include tiles and monsters from ANY expansion or tile/monster pack. You specify which products you own in the app before you do anything else. Allocation of resources simply becomes a question of if/then. 

OK, that's probably an oversimplification, but the point remains the same. If the app can't manage any or all of the products at the same time, there is something wrong with the way it has been written.

It is sounding to me like FFG are taking shortcuts to lower development time, thereby cutting costs. I would bet that if the app cant handle more than the base game and Beyond the Threshold, at the time of release, then it won't be modified to include the previously released expansions or 1e product later. That would serve no profitable purpose, and FFG have been becoming less and less interested in customer satisfaction of late.

One of the problems is play testing all the different tiles to make sure all the different combos work. I can see why this is challenging if they are going to have tiles moving about. Still I feel the effort should have been put in.

FYI, FFG just announced a new FREE campaign for Descent with 7 story missions (filled out with existing side missions, so this is in essence a 3/4 full campaign) that REQUIRES the Shadows of Nerekhall expansion (one of their most popular) to play.

So there you have it, DLC content that requires more than the core. It is just one expansion for now though, but perhaps down the road we will see campaigns that focus on multiple expansions. Short story, we will definitely see some sort of 'requires more than the core' content for MoM down the road based on this which means buying these expansions will only further your options moving forward.

Possibly because they tested it as first expansion for the base game, so, no other content was available at that time? Just a guess, of course

Well I guess he meant here of the first edition tiles and monsters... which are also "first" expansions... :)