Sign in to follow this  
Benjan Meruna

The Control upgrade for Influence

It is done by manipulating the target's mind though. That's the part you're not grasping. It's the how. Influence is all about mind manipulation. That's why it is also called the Jedi Mind Trick. The reason why the game mechanics of the upgrade work as they do is because in this system, only the active party rolls dice, not the target party, unlike other systems where opposed rolls are done by each participant rolling dice and comparing results. 

In the end this is really an argument about how you see the metaphysics of the Force working.

I don't agree with syrath's argument that the Force enhances a person's native charisma, fluff text notwithstanding.  In mechanical terms, the only important parts are the skill list, the "Influence power check" (which doesn't apply to droids), and the detail of how to spend pips.  The target sees the Force user in a different light because the Force has warped their vision and other senses, not because the Force user gains some new quality.  This is why droids aren't effected, the Force can't warp their programming and other senses.

Having said that, if your interpretation is different, then by all means let it apply.  Technically there is no correct answer, because we're just arguing metaphysics over something that doesn't exist.  I think our interpretation is more consistent with canon, and explains more about how the rules work within the game universe, but ...<shrug>...

Really, it game terms it doesn't matter, so long as you can deal with the implications at your table.  If droids are more susceptible to Influence at your table, then you need to account for that when scaling encounters.

Edited by whafrog

In the end this is really an argument about how you see the metaphysics of the Force working.

I don't agree with syrath's argument that the Force enhances a person's native charisma, fluff text notwithstanding. In mechanical terms, the only important parts are the skill list, the "Influence power check" (which doesn't apply to droids), and the detail of how to spend pips. The target sees the Force user in a different light because the Force has warped their vision and other senses, not because the Force user gains some new quality. This is why droids aren't effected, the Force can't warp their programming and other senses.

Having said that, if your interpretation is different, then by all means let it apply. Technically there is no correct answer, because we're just arguing metaphysics over something that doesn't exist. I think our interpretation is more consistent with canon, and explains more about how the rules work within the game universe, but ...<shrug>...

Really, it game terms it doesn't matter, so long as you can deal with the implications at your table. If droids are more susceptible to Influence at your table, then you need to account for that when scaling encounters.

I agree with you on the fact that you can run it however you like , but disagree with the fact that it is fluff text, the text in these sections tell you how the powers and upgrades work in more detail than the shorter text does in the talent tree style flow chart. It is in this section that you find things like , "The user may activate this multiple times, increasing the strain inflicted by one each time". It is expanding on the brief description and explains in more detail how the basic power and upgrades work. It often includes information that isn't even listed in the force and talent tree's, but is important nonetheless.

People also assumed something similar with the full description of talents like Precision Strike and that assumption turned out to be wrong, see link below.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/218990-precision-strike/

The full description of the talents, Force powers and upgrades wording has been carefully thought out. This is definitely not fluff text, it is telling you exactly how the talents and powers work. Effectively the way you describe how it should work pretty much duplicates the other control (10xp) upgrade with the exception that instead of using discipline you use a social check instead, personally I cannot see them having two upgrades pretty much do the same thing.

In fact reading through pretty much every upgrade description, I can't find anything that resembles fluff text, the pages are formatted that you have the power tree, then the title followed by a paragraph or two of fluff description hhat generalizes the power. Take the basic power description, which is shown on the influence page after the few paragraphs of fluff text.

The most basic form of influence does not allow the Force user to guide or shape the thoughts of others, he can merely strain their mind, inflicting stress and exhaustion. The basic power has one effect that can be triggered multiple times on the same or different targets

You cannot get any more specific that. It is actually the 10xp control upgrade that let's you actually Influence someone. So the basic power let's you stress the target (only) , the two control upgrades vary how the power works.

Note you'd don't even have to have the ability to influence someones thoughts when you buy the 15xp control upgrade.

Edited by syrath

The problem with your view on how the power works is that it does not fit within the canon. The Influence power is at its core the power to manipulate minds. Every upgrade is geared to that. All of the upgrades manipulate the target's mind. The 10 pt upgrade affects emotions. The 15 pt upgrade manipulates their thoughts to affect how they react to social checks.

The Social checks upgrade manipulates the target's mind to make them more agreeable to your words. That's how the power works. Mechanically, this is done through using your Force Dice along with your social check. This is strictly a consequence of the FFG system having the active player make all rolls with the opposed rolls being dealt with using the black, purple, and red dice. No matter what, Droids are immune to the power and all of its upgrades. 

The problem with your view on how the power works is that it does not fit within the canon. The Influence power is at its core the power to manipulate minds. Every upgrade is geared to that. All of the upgrades manipulate the target's mind. The 10 pt upgrade affects emotions. The 15 pt upgrade manipulates their thoughts to affect how they react to social checks.

The Social checks upgrade manipulates the target's mind to make them more agreeable to your words. That's how the power works. Mechanically, this is done through using your Force Dice along with your social check. This is strictly a consequence of the FFG system having the active player make all rolls with the opposed rolls being dealt with using the black, purple, and red dice. No matter what, Droids are immune to the power and all of its upgrades.

Actually the basic power causes strain its actually the first control upgrade that is the Jedi mind trick have a read of the first part of the upgrades description.

UPGRADES

When upgrading this power, the user can choose whether to influence and sway large crowds of people with his abilities, OR to directly modify the thought or emotions of others.

Control Upgrade : To gain the ability to alter the thoughts and emotions of a living target with whom he is engaged. The user makes an opposed discipline check against the target as parr of the pool to activate the power. The user must spend pips and he must succeed on the check to force the target to adopt an emotional state such as fear, friendliness, or hatred, or to believe something untrue ('these are not the droids you are looking for')....

So it's pretty clear - the basic power is used to cause direct strain damage, the first control upgrade is the Jedi mind trick and even calls that out in it's description, with the obiwan quote, and it states that this control upgrade, works only on living targets, why call this out if the whole tree cannot effect droids. The other control upgrade can be summed up as enhance [social]. Edited by syrath

The problem with your view on how the power works is that it does not fit within the canon. The Influence power is at its core the power to manipulate minds. Every upgrade is geared to that. All of the upgrades manipulate the target's mind. The 10 pt upgrade affects emotions. The 15 pt upgrade manipulates their thoughts to affect how they react to social checks.

Actually the basic power causes strain its actually the first control upgrade that is the Jedi mind trick have a read of the first part of the upgrades description.

UPGRADES

When upgrading this power, the user can choose whether to influence and sway large crowds of people with his abilities, OR to directly modify the thought or emotions of others.

Control Upgrade : To gain the ability to alter the thoughts and emotions of a living target with whom he is engaged. The user makes an opposed discipline check against the target as parr of the pool to activate the power. The user must spend pips and he must succeed on the check to force the target to adopt an emotional state such as fear, friendliness, or hatred, or to believe something untrue ('these are not the droids you are looking for')....

So it's pretty clear - the basic power is used to cause direct strain damage, the first control upgrade is the Jedi mind trick and even calls that out in it's description, with the obiwan quote, and it states that this control upgrade, works only on living targets, why call this out if the whole tree cannot effect droids. The other control upgrade can be summed up as enhance [social].

The whole power is referred to as the Jedi Mind Trick in the main text right at the beginning. To quote the opening paragraph:

The ability to influence the minds of others is not something to be taken lightly. Misuse of the ability colloquially known as a "mind trick", is a sure step on the path to the dark side.

This is not the upgrade's text, this is the main power's opening text. The Social Control upgrade is not "Enhance: Social". It is still the Jedi Mind Trick. It is still influencing another's mind to make them more agreeable to your wishes. Period. Droids, as non-living entities, are immune to the Influence power in any form. You cannot use any Influence upgrade on a droid.

Not only that, but your own quotes supports what I've been saying as well. To quote:

UPGRADES 

When upgrading this power, the user can choose whether to influence and sway large crowds of people with his abilities, OR to directly modify the thought or emotions of others.

Droids are not people. They are not living entities and are thus immune to all of the effects of the power.  Edited by Tramp Graphics

I think this should settle your argument, I called some on my holomessager and am negotiating a price to dock my starship. I am not even in the system I plan to dock.

Can I roll my force dice on the check?

If not, why? At what point in the description does it say I have to be a exact distance away. If theres no range restrictions, is the ability working on me and not my target?

I think this should settle your argument, I called some on my holomessager and am negotiating a price to dock my starship. I am not even in the system I plan to dock.

If not, why? At what point in the description does it say I have to be a exact distance away. If theres no range restrictions, is the ability working on me and not my target?

There is a range restriction on Influence. The base power lists its range limit as engaged. You can increase this with three range upgrades out to a maximum of Long range. These range upgrades are, coincidentally,  all in the same branch of the upgrade tree as the Social Control upgrade. 

There is a range restriction on Influence. The base power lists its range limit as engaged. You can increase this with three range upgrades out to a maximum of Long range. These range upgrades are, coincidentally,  all in the same branch of the upgrade tree as the Social Control upgrade.

Did you read my post? It was about using negotiation checks with the influence social control upgrade. Are you saying you need to spend force pips to increase range? Unfortunately, tho you may disagree L, that's not how it works.

I could list several examples but here's two:

Field Commander (leadership check) has no range, only limited by forms of communication and presence.

Scathing Tirade (coersion check) meduim range

Both are social actions and you can make an influence force check with them. Both have ranges way beyond engaged.

But what your saying is I could not use influence with a negotiation check if it was over a holomessager? Only if I was engaged with the target or spent a pip to activate the range upgrade appropriately? That's incorrect.

If you can Force Choke over the holo, you can use Influence over the holo. Though I'd probably want to limit it to in-system; it's simpler that way. But that's only my immediate thoughts and it's 2 am, so don't expect great wisdom. :P

Anyway, this argument has a very simple solution: different tables interpret this differently. Decide how you interpret it. Use that, use it consistently, and it should probably work out either way. It's not going to break the game if different people have different interpretations, as long as everyone in each individual group is on the same page.

Rather than talking past each other and changing nobody's mind, make a ruling for your own table and move on.

Edited by The Shy Ion

The whole power is referred to as the Jedi Mind Trick in the main text right at the beginning. To quote the opening paragraph:

The ability to influence the minds of others is not something to be taken lightly. Misuse of the ability colloquially known as a "mind trick", is a sure step on the path to the dark side.

This is not the upgrade's text, this is the main power's opening text. The Social Control upgrade is not "Enhance: Social". It is still the Jedi Mind Trick. It is still influencing another's mind to make them more agreeable to your wishes. Period. Droids, as non-living entities, are immune to the Influence power in any form. You cannot use any Influence upgrade on a droid.
If you want to quote that section , you forgot to include its final section.

Influence's most basic and arguably crudest ability allows the user to inflict strain on a living target, stressing his mind until he passes out. However, upgrades allow thr force user who specializes in Influence to perform much more subtle and impressive feats

So straight off the bat, you have the wrong grasp of what the basic power is. For each pip you can cause 1 strain (or 2 strain with the strength upgrade.

Not only that, but your own quotes supports what I've been saying as well. To quote:

UPGRADES

Droids are not people. They are not living entities and are thus immune to all of the effects of the power.

People is rather generic if you read the description above of the basic ability it specifies LIVING TARGET for the basic power in the last paragraph of the fluff text.

Moving on to the basic power in the middle of the text.

The user spends force pips to stress the mind of one LIVING target he is engaged with

The first upgrade is the jedi mind trick and since it is a mind influencing ability , because thus far the player can only cause strain to living targets at engaged range. Note that this is not an upgrade of the basic power.

For the basic power you roll force dice equal to rating and use the results to cause 1 strain damage per pip. Thats your action done

The 10 xp control upgrade lets you alter the thoughts of a living target (and note that once again it specifies here a living target) , with whome he is engaged, the user makes an opposed discipline check as part of the pool to activate the power. If successful he can make the target feel a specific emotion or believe a lie. ------ this is clearly the jedi mind trick and even quotes obiwan in its text

The next control upgrade (for 15xp) states that the user gains the ability to enhance his arguments. The next part of its description is important WHEN MAKING A COERCION ,CHARM, DECEPTION , LEADERSHIP, OR NEGOTIATION CHECK. This is not triggering the force power this is using a social check, THE USER MAY ROLL AN INFLUENCE POWER CHECK AS PART OF THE POOL. HE MAY SPEND PIPS TO GAIN ADVANTAGE OR SUCCESS (HIS CHOICE) PER POINT ON THE CHECK

We have established that the control upgrade gives a different effect to the basic power, we have established that both the basic power and the first control upgrade specify living targets and mention that you are triggering the influence power. The next control upgrade makes no mention of triggering the power, you are actually making a social check , and allowing you to add force dice to the roll (in exactly the same way that it is decided and worded in the ENHANCE Force power), it also makes no mention of living targets.

The basic power and the first control upgrade are active, the 2nd control upgrade is passive and is triggered when you make a social check and like the enhance power allows you to add force dice to the social check roll, and since it doesnt specify living targets can work on droids. This is because the control upgrade passively makes you more charismatic and enhances your arguments. It makes the user better at what he is trying to do, it does not directly affect the target of the social check, unlike the other 2 abilities mentioned.

Some of the important distinctions here is that a lot of the upgrades dont work on it. Dor a start range doesnt matter as you are affecting yourself with the power, also magnitude is useless as is strngth and range.

Similarly the duration upgrade doesn't benefit the basic power. The strength upgrade only works with the basic power.

Finally the special rule says. WHEN influence is used to guide and shape thoughts and emotions. --- the important word here is when , which implies that there is more to the power than shaping thoughts and emotions, since the basic power doesnt use the force to guide and shape thoughts and emotions neither is the 15 xp upgrade.

I understand that you think that the whole power is the Jedi Mind Trick. The first sentence you quote

The ability to influence the minds of others is not something to be taken lightly. Misuse of the ability , colloquially known as a "mind trick" is a sure step to the dark side.

This is not an actual rule but is just a statement of fact. It simply points out that misusing influence when affecting the mind of others is a path to the dark side and that influencing other peoples minds is colloquially known as the "mind trick". It says absolutely nothing of how the power works or all the abilities that the power has , for example , the ability to cause strain damage, which is in fact its basic power. Edited by syrath

NO, you are not affecting yourself. This is one of the primary reasons why the Range upgrades are all linked to the Social upgrade. If the Social upgrade were only "enhancing" the user, then there would be no range for the effect. However, there is a range that limits the power, including the Social upgrade. This is because all upgrades of the power  manipulate the minds of other people, the Social upgrade included. 

Edited by Tramp Graphics

For the same reason, the stronger the power, the more the user's will is imposed upon the target. That is what causes the Strain on the target. It is the imposition of the user's will upon the target, and that is what all of the Control upgrades do. Whether you are stressing their minds, trying to change their emotional state, or using it in to convince them to do what you want (be it through Charm, Deception, Leadership, etc), It's all about imposing your will upon theirs to manipulate their minds to a specific end, whether for god or ill.  That is what Influence does. 

The strength upgrade improves upon the basic power , not the control upgrade.

So what was your point about the range upgrades being linked to the social control upgrade.

Are you trying to say that the upgrades are linked to the powers above them innthe force power tree. Ie the strength upgrade applies to the first control upgrade or are you trying to say the strength upgrade applies to all abilities in the tree. Please explain your logic, because I dont see why range cannot come after a different ability in the tree, they do it all the time in the other force powers.

I do think there is some ambiguity in the description, but what it comes down to for me is that I have a hard coming up with a credible narrative mechanism by which Influence could work while solely affecting the force user. Enhance is easy enough to justify because we have a lot of examples of using the Force to create kinetic effects, but how do you make someone more charismatic regardless of situation or audience? Does the Jedi use the Force to stimulate pheromone production? Do they become hyper-aware of social cues? Are they enhancing their vocal cords to affect the timbre of their voice? Even without directly affecting the mind of the other being, would any of that work on a droid?

It's a lot easier for me to imagine that Influence is being used to nudge the target's mind in certain directions in a more subtle application of the "You believe this now" power that we clearly see in canon.

Its basically doing this with the force:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinesics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paralanguage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnum_effect

Basically your using the force to alter your voice, body language, pheromones, speech patterns and micro expressions to make yourself more charismatic, or intimidating or believable etc.

Its exactly like enhance in that it is making physical changes to your body, except rather then making you quicker or stronger its making you more able to effectively communicate with other people or conceal your tells which would give away the lies you are spinning.

Basically your using the force to alter your voice, body language, pheromones, speech patterns and micro expressions to make yourself more charismatic, or intimidating or believable etc.

All of those things are perceived only in the mind of the target. It is the target’s mind that you are influencing with the “Influence” power.

All of those things are perceived only in the mind of the target. It is the target’s mind that you are influencing with the “Influence” power.
Given that Enhance Athletics, Resilience, Brawl, Coordination, Piloting (Planetary and Space) and also Manipulate , Control upgrade that applies force dice to Mechanics checks are all worded identically to the control upgrade for influence, does that mean the following

Athletics, instead of making you stronger/more fit, you use the force to help move you along, or when jumping, you give yourself a little push with the force.

Resilience , instead of using the force to make you stronger / more fit, you use it to force things like poisonous gases, away from your, or use the force like a mini-heal power when rolling to heal critical wounds.

Piloting, instead of increasing your reactions , you are instead using the force too help you move the ship or craft around.

Coordination , instead of making you more agile, you are using the force to hold yourself steady, ala a mini move that works only on yourself.

Finally instead of improving your ability with mechanics you are using the force on the objects to make it easier to make /repair / work on.

Or is hit easier and more logical to say that the force improves THE USER of the ability in such a way as to make themselves better equipped to make the check. Remember every one of these abilities and upgrades are worded identically in both the short force tree or long description (excepting manipulate/mechanics which has a print error and has the same long description against all 3 upgrades, but does have an identical short description). So which is it , do they all work externally to the user or do they all work on the user, because I'm fairly sure they don't all work differently from each other, given the wording is a copy and paste job.

Edited by syrath

Given that Enhance Athletics, Resilience, Brawl, Coordination, Piloting (Planetary and Space) and also Manipulate, Control upgrade that applies force dice to Mechanics checks are all worded identically to the control upgrade for influence, does that mean the following

The first question you should ask yourself is where are the effects perceived?

Are the effects perceived only in the mind of the target? Then that is the only thing the power is affecting.

Are the effects perceived in the mind of the person being enhanced? Then that is the thing that the power is affecting.

Now, things get a little different when the power can affect inanimate objects. Inanimate objects can’t perceive that they are being thrown through the air, but that inanimate object is still being affected by the power.

Getting back to the topic, for the Influence power, who is being influenced?

Edited by bradknowles

The titles they have used for powers and talents have been rather generic to the point they have been misleading. Precision Strike has a portion of its ability able to work with ranged hits and gunnery. Suppressing Fire works with all combat checks, not just ranged fire. There are plenty more examples. You have to look to the wording of the long descriptions of talents, force upgrades etc, to see exaxctly how they work. The last time I had a similar discussion everyone else said I was completely wrong about how I understood Precision Strike to work , and that whole discussion was about 1/ a section of wording not even in the description and 2/ was totally regarding how the talent worked with ranged combat even though it was called Strike. Turned out that RAW and RAI I actually wasn't even going far enough with how it was supposed to work.

Why is this relevant, well go look at the long description of the upgrade and it tells you how it works. 1/ it makes YOU more charismatic and makes YOUR arguments more cohesive. It does not target anyone but yourself and is triggered by YOU making a social check, allowing you to make an INFLUENCE POWER check with the roll adding advantage or success to the result. It says nothing about the influence check targetting anyone here. The wording tells you exactly how it works and it works identically to how enhance :(Skill) works in the enhance tree and it works identically to the identically worded control upgrade in Manipulate, the title of the power gives some cohesion to the tree ,you are still trying to influence a target, just not directly with the force, as that is covered by the other control upgrade and not this control upgrade OR EVEN THE BASIC POWER.(which doesn't even influence the target, it ONLY causes strain damage)

Edited by syrath

Why is this relevant, well go look at the long description of the upgrade and it tells you how it works. 1/ it makes YOU more charismatic and makes YOUR arguments more cohesive.

This thread is clearly useless. Since you are the person who has made this thread useless, I think it’s pretty clear that you have also made yourself useless.

*PLONK*

Given that Enhance Athletics, Resilience, Brawl, Coordination, Piloting (Planetary and Space) and also Manipulate, Control upgrade that applies force dice to Mechanics checks are all worded identically to the control upgrade for influence, does that mean the following

The first question you should ask yourself is where are the effects perceived?

Are the effects perceived only in the mind of the target? Then that is the only thing the power is affecting.

Are the effects perceived in the mind of the person being enhanced? Then that is the thing that the power is affecting.

Now, things get a little different when the power can affect inanimate objects. Inanimate objects can’t perceive that they are being thrown through the air, but they inanimate object is still being affected by the power.

Getting back to the topic, for the Influence power, who is being influenced?

The titles they have used for powers and talents have been rather generic to the point they have been misleading. Precision Strike has a portion of its ability able to work with ranged hits and gunnery. Suppressing Fire works with all combat checks, not just ranged fire. There are plenty more examples. You have to look to the wording of the long descriptions of talents, force upgrades etc, to see exaxctly how they work. The last time I had a similar discussion everyone else said I was completely wrong about how I understood Precision Strike to work , and that whole discussion was about 1/ a section of wording not even in the description and 2/ was totally regarding how the talent worked with ranged combat even though it was called Strike. Turned out that RAW and RAI I actually wasn't even going far enough with how it was supposed to work.

Why is this relevant, well go look at the long description of the upgrade and it tells you how it works. 1/ it makes YOU more charismatic and makes YOUR arguments more cohesive. It does not target anyone but yourself and is triggered by YOU making a social check, allowing you to make an INFLUENCE POWER check with the roll adding advantage or success to the result. It says nothing about the influence check targetting anyone here. The wording tells you exactly how it works and it works identically to how enhance :(Skill) works in the enhance tree and it works identically to the identically worded control upgrade in Manipulate, the title of the power gives some cohesion to the tree ,you are still trying to influence a target, just not directly with the force, as that is covered by the other control upgrade and not this control upgrade OR EVEN THE BASIC POWER.(which doesn't even influence the target, it ONLY causes strain damage)

As Bradknowles stated, it goes back to who is precieving the effect? If everyone within earshot were affected by that player's use of the Social upgrade, not just those covered by the Magnitude upgrade, then you could say that the user is enhancing his own natural charisma. However, this is not the case. The only targets subject to the "boosted:" social skills are those limited to the user's Magnitude upgrades (or lack thereof). If there are five guards in the room, and you try to order them to leave their posts with the door unlocked, using Influence in conjunction with a Social check, but you only have one Magnitude upgrade, only two of those Guards will be affected. The boost only applies to those two guards. Against the other two, you are stuck with the base die roll. Thus, it is the target's mind being affected, not the user's natural ability.

If you look at the upgrades description , it is described exactly like that "The user gains the ability to enhance his arguments and charisma." Regardless this is my final post I'll put out on this thread, firstly I obviously offended which was not my intention, the discussion had become cyclic long before now and I should have agreed to differ before now, because it is plainly obvious that neither group would back down. What I will do is report back with the dev response once I get it though, either way.

Extremely relieved to know that the two Control upgrades actually do different things after all (ie, one channels the force inward, enhancing your debating skills and charisma, the other projects the force outward to invade the mind of your target as seen in the movies.) I was afraid I had accidentally wasted my XP buying two different ways of doing the exact same thing for a while there.

Thanks guys!