Sign in to follow this  
Bigulf

Where's the Arcs?

With all the prerelease hype and activity on Vassal I would have expected to see more of a presence of the Arc in the last few major events. Did I miss some in the results doing well, or are they just not that good?

In my local meta you can see some single ARCs here and there (Braylen or Thane for the most part), but mine are usually the only lists with more than one. I'm doing kinda fine with them. Maybe not better than other lists I've played in the past, but also not worse.

Their main problem is I still love Firesprays more :P, but I plan to bring them to at least one regional this season.

And we're ficklegreenphotos in 5... 4... 3...

Not FGD, but I just found a pic of mine in action from a recent tournament. I never remember to take pictures when playing tho, something I should fix.

58Hbf8V.jpg

EDIT: Yep, his approach was suicidal and all that jazz. It just happens the only pic I have of these lads in action (not even taken by me) was in a tournament against a random new guy :P

Edited by Kharnete

In general they're weak against Dengaroo, Twin Laser Turret, and TIE Defenders, which are 3 of the 4 the pillars of the meta right now. Aces have a harder time dodging both arcs when they get close, but even that is a hard match if they can keep their distance and stay in the wings.

They're expensive and fragile unfortunately, even though they do have utility and Norra can deal surprising damage at times.

Always fly Biggs and you can make them work, but they need a meta shift. Might be better off after Wave 10.

Norra still sucks. Please check my Thread about her :D

I still wish she was awesome though!

"You can take an additional stress to take and spend a a target lock and do a barrel roll to receive an eye result on a die you dont really have, unless there is an enemy ship in range 1 or 2 and only if your ship is burning right now"

I really hate this kind of abilities. Can it be a little more straightforward please?

Why didn't they just give her an additional BOOM for spending a TL? Maybe she'd be a match against Defenders then. Finally.

Edited by Schu81

In general they're weak against Dengaroo, Twin Laser Turret, and TIE Defenders, which are 3 of the 4 the pillars of the meta right now. Aces have a harder time dodging both arcs when they get close, but even that is a hard match if they can keep their distance and stay in the wings.

They're expensive and fragile unfortunately, even though they do have utility and Norra can deal surprising damage at times.

Always fly Biggs and you can make them work, but they need a meta shift. Might be better off after Wave 10.

I've won 3 tournaments with them since they came out. Haven't lost vs defenders yet - to the contrary, their main feature, the white K-turn, isn't nearly as impressive if the enemy can just shoot from the back. I've only played vs Dengaroo once and won 100-0 though granted, Dengar did have some bad luck with his green dice in that one. On the other hand once you've passed him he only has 1 green die anyway (with Tail Gunner) and thanks to their title ARCs generate a gazillion crits which arguably hurts Dengar more than any other ship since he cannot get rid of crits such as -1 attack, -1 agi or Console Fire due to stress. Also, Dengar works as well as he does by severely decreasing efficiency of the opponent's green dice. ARCs don't rely on them anyway, so not much of a problem with this one. They are one of the few archetypes that can happily trade dice with Dengar and win - no need to try and chase Manny (they're too slow for that anyway).

So far I've only lost with an ARC list 3 times and only 2 times in a tournament setting. One loss was vs brobots and it was a result of a stupid setup error that forced an even more stupid maneuvering error on my part. I learned from it and haven't had problems with brobots since. The other loss was vs triple imperial jousters and it was a result of an absolutely epic case of dice favoring my opponent. 

IMO there's nothing wrong with ARCs at the moment. They're not popular because some people are biased against 1 agi ships due to the sad demise of b-wing. Most people don't realize how much different ARC is and quite often do silly things with them such as flying Norra as a solo wingmate for Dash or Rey which she absolutely cannot do (she needs Biggs to survive early game people or she dies in 2 turns!).

That said, I've only played ARCs in local tournaments so far (no more than 15 people) so I guess I'll have to see how well I can do at the regionals. My local community is pretty strong and in most cases if  I could do well with a list locally, I ended quite high in larger tournaments as well, but as usual, no guarantees there.

I have no idea how anyone could find them weak v dengaroo when Tailgunner utterly ruins him

Thane especially just doesn't give a **** about anything dengaroo does, especially when he tries to ram himself into thane in order to deny shots (since he don't give a **** about his action) and thane just VTs out of base-to-base contact to fire range 1

Defenders are similarly a very even match-up.

TLTs are the only actual pain, but only if there's 4 of them. Otherwise, you have the mods and PS to burn them down quick enough

just remember the pillars of ARC-dom:

1. r3-a2

2. r2-d2

3. tailgunner/gunner/tactician

4. Vectored Thrusters

5. GODDAMNIT, BIGGS

And we're ficklegreenphotos in 5... 4... 3...

myeh, I need my coffee

Edited by ficklegreendice

I made top 4 in the Omaha regional running Dash/Norra. The damage output and difficult targeting priorities it forces on the opponent is fantastic. Against Dengaroo, it's strategy is to just kill Dengar first, trading Dash for Dengar, then Manaroo has absolutely no chance of closing versus Norra.

i see them fairly often.

The issue is they are kinda limited in strats. What they can do they do great but they arent a ship you can slap in a random list and it works.

I think they're pretty versatile, they just suffer from the problem of not being great against the current meta. But unlike the poor B-Wing, they do have a lot of potential and do fine against aces. 

I do think the Rebels getting some more good utility-based Astromechs like stressbot would do a lot to help the ARC. 

Edited by WingedSpider

Thane especially just doesn't give a **** about anything dengaroo does, especially when he tries to ram himself into thane in order to deny shots (since he don't give a **** about his action) and thane just VTs out of base-to-base contact to fire range 1

Devious! I like it. Then again, I do like my plasma torps with guidance chips on Thane. Nothing sets up a game like throwing 4 hits at an opponent who's already used his tokens AND stressing him to boot during the first exchange. Granted it only works once but there's seldom too many opportunities to use it afterward anyway. The next turn you're usually in R1 and after that you mostly shoot behind you.

i see them fairly often.

The issue is they are kinda limited in strats. What they can do they do great but they arent a ship you can slap in a random list and it works.

I think they're pretty versatile, they just suffer from the problem of not being great against the current meta. But unlike the poor B-Wing, they do have a lot of potential utility and do fine against aces. 

I do think the Rebels getting some more good generic Astromechs would do a lot to help the ARC.

Defenders aren't even that much of an issue in my experience. Yes, you can conceivably lose against them, but that sentiment works both ways. You will never win by blowing them all up, but once Norra is in a 1v1 she can just outtank them on points with her ability.

Defenders aren't even that much of an issue in my experience. Yes, you can conceivably lose against them, but that sentiment works both ways. You will never win by blowing them all up, but once Norra is in a 1v1 she can just outtank them on points with her ability.

Yeah, you're right.