Sign in to follow this  
Chronos96

Deck Building clarifications?

I'm planning on buying a copy of the core set tomorrow and it seems like "Skids" Is just the guy I need. I know that I'll need two core sets to fully customize my decks which brings me to my first question:

1. Those of you that have a core set already does a playset consist of two cards? Like say for example are there two copies of Hot Streak in the box or is there only one copy which means I need another core set?
  2.  How many copies of a card can you have in your deck?
  3. When you're building your deck the investigator card says you can build with cards level 0-5 of your primary class; does this mean that you can include cards above level zero such as Hot streak when you're building your deck before you start the campaign and must pay experience for more expensive cards later on if you chose not to include them? Or does this mean that you can only start with level zero to two cards when you first start building your deck?

Thanks!

Edited by Chronos96

For default campaign play, you always start a campaigh with 0 XP, which means only level 0 cards. As you gain XP you can include higher level cards up to your character's highest level allowance (so Skids can include any Rogue cards, and Guardian cards level 0, 1, and 2).

It does seem an obvious point to most among you, but when we build our deck for a campaign, we just take Level 0 cards. that does mean that when I level up (get from level 0->1) I can choose any Level 1 card from my whole collection of cards (while still respecting deckbuilding restriction for my character) ?

Thanks a lot.

And sorry for the dummy question...

Elrad

It does seem an obvious point to most among you, but when we build our deck for a campaign, we just take Level 0 cards. that does mean that when I level up (get from level 0->1) I can choose any Level 1 card from my whole collection of cards (while still respecting deckbuilding restriction for my character) ?

Thanks a lot.

And sorry for the dummy question...

Elrad

Your character doesn't really have a level. The XP are just a currency to spend on higher level cards. So say you have 4 XP after the first scenario, you can already buy one level 4 card.

A more detailed explanation:

1. At the end of a scenario you get a certain number of XP. Not unlike money, each experience point can be spent to buy new cards. Once the point is spent, it is gone. The new cards you buy have to be exchanged with cards in your deck (because as far as the rules go now, your deck-size cannot change). That means that if, at a later point, you want to get that card back that you swapped out, you would have to buy it again.
  2. You can buy any card within the deckbuilding restrictions of the character (e.g. Roland can buy Level 0 - 5 Guardian cards, 0 - 2 level Seeker cards and 0 - 5 level neutral cards).
  3. Each card costs the amount of XP of the level of the card. (Level 1 costs 1, level 2 costs 2 etc.). However, level 0 cards also cost 1 XP.
  4. An exception from point 3 is that if you change a card for a higher level version with the same name, you only have to pay the difference in XP between the two. Example: Change a Level 2 Card into a level 3 card with the same name cost you only 1 point. However, that exception does not apply to any pair of cards in the core-set yet because higher level cards only exist of level 0 cards (and the difference between a level 1 beat cop and a level 0 beat cop is still 1)

So as an example, you gain 4 XP at the end of a scenario. You can spend that XP to buy:

• Four level 0 and/or level 1 cards
  • One Level 2 and two level 0/level 1 cards
  • Two level 2 cards
  • One level 3 card and one level 0/1 card
  • One level 4 card

You can also "save" XP and then buy more expensive cards after the next scenario.

Does that make sense?

Edited by ParinorB