Sign in to follow this  
JediPartisan

Yet Another Card - Those fickle scum

Yeah, I know. Everyone has a suggestion, but I just wanted to share the idea, good, or bad.

The idea is for a card that allows Imperials or Rebels to recruit one pilot to their cause from the scum faction. It wouldn't work well for imp to work for reb or vice versa. And it wouldn't allow for scum only cards to be used. It would allow reb or imp crew to be used on that ship.

The title could be "Well Paid" or something similar.

I just thought the scum faction was in a unique position to have a card like this, but I have no idea on cost. Can't be too expensive to be prohibitive, but it should be somewhat significant, like maybe 4 or 3.

Just a thought. What do you think?

Bad idea. Because it makes that they have to balance test ALL the scum pilot for Imperials and Rebels too. Not only it will add time for testing, but also increase the chance something break the game if it slip from testing.

Yeah, unlikely to happen.  The idea has come up often, as well as the "recruit scum crew," but the issue becomes that you lose faction identiy, and Rebels/Imps become just better.  Referencing crew - who'd like to see Miranda w/ TLT and Zuckuss?  Or what about Manny plus Jake?

I had and idea along the lines like this for a themed tournament.  You could bring 1 pilot from another faction in your list but when calculating for MOV the off faction ship would be worth double points to the opposing player so you would have to be careful not to lose the off faction ship.

Edited by daddyguy99

Yeah, I know. Everyone has a suggestion, but I just wanted to share the idea, good, or bad.

The idea is for a card that allows Imperials or Rebels to recruit one pilot to their cause from the scum faction. It wouldn't work well for imp to work for reb or vice versa. And it wouldn't allow for scum only cards to be used. It would allow reb or imp crew to be used on that ship.

I just thought the scum faction was in a unique position to have a card like this, but I have no idea on cost. Can't be too expensive to be prohibitive, but it should be somewhat significant, like maybe 4 or 3.

Actually a very good idea :)! I had similar thoughts myself not too long ago.

Remember this - not everyone appreciates a good idea. When I suggested that it would be nice to get more Level 9 Pilots, I also received a lot of criticism. So much so, that I finally submitted to the naysayers (a mistake on my part, in hindsight). Funny thing was, not even a month later, my fun thought came true as FFG released a bunch of new Level 9 pilots - just like I suggested.

Well done, don't lose hope and keep :D  up the good ideas!

business-commerce-defeatist-naysayers-ma

Yeah, unlikely to happen.  The idea has come up often, as well as the "recruit scum crew," but the issue becomes that you lose faction identiy, and Rebels/Imps become just better.  Referencing crew - who'd like to see Miranda w/ TLT and Zuckuss?  Or what about Manny plus Jake?

But most of these suggestions don't let you mix faction-only upgrades. For example, Zuckuss is Scum-only, so it would still be against the rules to put Zuckuss on a K-wing, even if you could have Zuckuss in your Rebel faction.

I think the bigger issue is the pilot combos, like Manaroo + Jake Farrel, like you mentioned. I think this idea should definitely happen at casual game nights and maybe even casual tournaments with this kind of recruitment rule. It is a fun theme to explore and makes a lot of sense in the realm of Star Wars. But I do think it needs to remain a casual rule. I with others above that implementing a rule like the OP suggests would 1) create broken combos, 2) destroy faction identity, 3) actually decrease the already tenuous theme in this game.

I think #3 needs some more explanation. Could the Empire or Rebels hire Scum and Villainy in the Star Wars universe? Yes. Would they do it very often? Probably not. If every 6 games or so has you face a Rebel or Imperial build with a token Scum ship, that's fine. But I think the strong combinations that have already been pointed out would lead to Scum ships in nearly every game of X-Wing. I don't think that would be good for the game.

Bad idea. Because it makes that they have to balance test ALL the scum pilot for Imperials and Rebels too. Not only it will add time for testing, but also increase the chance something break the game if it slip from testing.

Things are sooo out of balance now, so no difference, but then I'm a rebel player, so I whine like the best of em'.

Nope. I specifically said, no scum only cards, just pilots.

I had and idea along the lines like this for a themed tournament.  You could bring 1 pilot from another faction in your list but when calculating for MOV the off faction ship would be worth double points to the opposing player so you would have to be careful not to lose the off faction ship.

Wow, double points would reduce overuse, but it may also remove the possibility of a competitive list.

I'm not swayed by the argument that the designers would have to work.

Could the Empire or Rebels hire Scum and Villainy in the Star Wars universe? Yes. Would they do it very often? Probably not.

That's actually not true. There are MANY eu examples where scum was highered or helped the rebellion or the empire. The TV show Rebels just showed Ketsu Onyo helping the Rebels on two separate occasions, though in the game she is scum only. If you want movie specific, look no further than Han Solo himself, or Lando. Keep in mind Han wanted to be paid and paid well by the princess. So thematically this happens a lot in Star Wars. Oh, I almost forgot, Boba Fett, 4lom, Dengar, Ig88 and more were all highered by the empire.

Now as far as balance goes, I would hope that the creators thought of something like this when they created the third faction, but perhaps they were thinking on making a separate pilot card, like Boba Fett. If so, they need to release something like most wanted again with pilot cards for other factions or maybe something like this: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/10/25/swm-draw-their-fire/

I dislike the idea that Scum pilot abilities have to be balanced around all three factions, while Rebels and Imperials do not.

The Constable from the Quadjumper expansion seems like a nightmare if you also let him team with Sabine.

Actually a very good idea :)! I had similar thoughts myself not too long ago.

Remember this - not everyone appreciates a good idea. When I suggested that it would be nice to get more Level 9 Pilots, I also received a lot of criticism. So much so, that I finally submitted to the naysayers (a mistake on my part, in hindsight). Funny thing was, not even a month later, my fun thought came true as FFG released a bunch of new Level 9 pilots - just like I suggested.

Well done, don't lose hope and keep :D  up the good ideas!

business-commerce-defeatist-naysayers-ma

Thanks for that. I know all my ideas are NOT gems, but that's why I put them out for discussion. The only problem is that some people don't know how to say, "that just wouldn't work", without jumping down your throat. I don't expect everyone to like my ideas, but there's pointing out flaws, then there's having a laugh at someone's expense. Most ppl on here are good about it like the above ppl, but I've had some reem me a new one(happened recently too), to which I just don't return to the tread.

The best response for a fool, is silence.

Best words of advice I ever got.

Thanks again.

Could the Empire or Rebels hire Scum and Villainy in the Star Wars universe? Yes. Would they do it very often? Probably not.

That's actually not true. There are MANY eu examples where scum was highered or helped the rebellion or the empire. The TV show Rebels just showed Ketsu Onyo helping the Rebels on two separate occasions, though in the game she is scum only. If you want movie specific, look no further than Han Solo himself, or Lando. Keep in mind Han wanted to be paid and paid well by the princess. So thematically this happens a lot in Star Wars. Oh, I almost forgot, Boba Fett, 4lom, Dengar, Ig88 and more were all highered by the empire.

Now as far as balance goes, I would hope that the creators thought of something like this when they created the third faction, but perhaps they were thinking on making a separate pilot card, like Boba Fett. If so, they need to release something like most wanted again with pilot cards for other factions or maybe something like this: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/10/25/swm-draw-their-fire/

Yes, the Empire hired bounty hunters, but in the movies, we only see them hired for that one mission. In the EU, we see many more examples of mercenaries being hired for both factions. However, think of all the missions issued by the Empire and the Rebel Alliance. Do you really expect 50% or more of those to have mercenaries? I sure don't. Yes, it happens -- and not infrequently. But it is by no means something that happens all the time. I was even quite generous in saying 1/6 matches having a mercenary would be okay. I don't think the Empire hired mercenaries for 18% of their missions.

The Rebel Alliance is a bit different because the Rebels themselves could be considered mercenaries and outlaws. But I would consider good guys like Dash Rendar and Han Solo to be squarely in the Rebel faction.

Yes, the Empire hired bounty hunters, but in the movies, we only see them hired for that one mission. In the EU, we see many more examples of mercenaries being hired for both factions. However, think of all the missions issued by the Empire and the Rebel Alliance. Do you really expect 50% or more of those to have mercenaries? I sure don't. Yes, it happens -- and not infrequently. But it is by no means something that happens all the time. I was even quite generous in saying 1/6 matches having a mercenary would be okay. I don't think the Empire hired mercenaries for 18% of their missions.

The Rebel Alliance is a bit different because the Rebels themselves could be considered mercenaries and outlaws. But I would consider good guys like Dash Rendar and Han Solo to be squarely in the Rebel faction.

That sounds accurate, but keep in mind Solo and Rendar didn't start out in the rebel faction and X-Wing seems to be taking things from the early days of the rebellion (when Solo would be scum) to the current movie (...where Solo would be.... well ehem). But they do have Imperial and scum cards for Boba, so why not others? We need some kind of most wanted thing where they put out just the cards for pilots. Might also help balance things better.

I dislike the idea that Scum pilot abilities have to be balanced around all three factions, while Rebels and Imperials do not.

The Constable from the Quadjumper expansion seems like a nightmare if you also let him team with Sabine.

I think the Quadjumper is a nightmare all on its....Wait a minute, isn't sabine in the shadowcaster?

Poe is a clear PS9 and they like to keep parity in the number of PS9 aces. Hence Rau and Quickdraw.

That sounds accurate, but keep in mind Solo and Rendar didn't start out in the rebel faction and X-Wing seems to be taking things from the early days of the rebellion (when Solo would be scum) to the current movie (...where Solo would be.... well ehem). But they do have Imperial and scum cards for Boba, so why not others? We need some kind of most wanted thing where they put out just the cards for pilots. Might also help balance things better.

That's true, but I look at Solo in the same way I look at Skywalker. When Luke was young, he was just a farmboy. We don't have (or need) a farmboy version of Luke. Han started as a smuggler, but at the core of the movies, he's really a Rebel, despite denying that for must of the trilogy. We don't really need a separate version of each pilot for each part of their life. And I, for one, do not want to see a Scum YT-1300.

I disagree with the assessment that X-Wing is taking things from the early days of the Rebellion. I don't see any pattern to the Star Wars timeline and the ships and pilots FFG releases. Also note that the timeline was reset during the course of the X-Wing miniatures game. We have things from Rebels and we have things from The Force Awakens. We have ships like E-wings that were very advanced and things like ARCs that were much earlier. Luke Skywalker's ability reminds us of the Death Star trench run, but then, we don't really see him dogfight in any other place in the trilogy. We have pilots like Nien Nunb and Lando Calrissian whose pilot abilities and craft are based on Return of the Jedi.

That's true, but I look at Solo in the same way I look at Skywalker. When Luke was young, he was just a farmboy. We don't have (or need) a farmboy version of Luke. Han started as a smuggler, but at the core of the movies, he's really a Rebel, despite denying that for must of the trilogy. We don't really need a separate version of each pilot for each part of their life. And I, for one, do not want to see a Scum YT-1300.

I disagree with the assessment that X-Wing is taking things from the early days of the Rebellion. I don't see any pattern to the Star Wars timeline and the ships and pilots FFG releases. Also note that the timeline was reset during the course of the X-Wing miniatures game. We have things from Rebels and we have things from The Force Awakens. We have ships like E-wings that were very advanced and things like ARCs that were much earlier. Luke Skywalker's ability reminds us of the Death Star trench run, but then, we don't really see him dogfight in any other place in the trilogy. We have pilots like Nien Nunb and Lando Calrissian whose pilot abilities and craft are based on Return of the Jedi.

Any ship from the Rebels TV show would constitute as the early days of the rebellion. It is set 5 years prior to the battle of Yavin. It also shows how the rebellion is growing. Heck it even shows a fifteen year old Leia. I don't think there was a rebellion prior, at least not an organized one. In that time Lando (who they meet) is a smuggler not any part of the rebellion. Just like Ketsu, who will probably end up joining the rebellion at some point. I think it would be neat to have cross over pilots, but to each their own.

I think the Quadjumper is a nightmare all on its....Wait a minute, isn't sabine in the shadowcaster?
Sabine crew. Could give the Constable an extra bomb slot and +1 damage per round when one hits a target.