Sign in to follow this  
Babaganoosh

Scavenger Crane not realistic - is that a problem for anyone else?

Yeah, you guys should read about NASA's experiment with putting monkeys (and I think, dogs as well) into the vacuum of space, to see how long something could survive without any permanent damage, I think it's a little under 5 minutes, iirc. 

Unusually for a soft scifi show, Farscape actually did this right IIRC.

Off topic, I apologise. No, it is not possible to survive 5 minutes without permanent damage. It is not possible to survive 5 minutes of vacuum, full stop. Brain damage in humans sets in within a minute or two without oxygen, and permanent lung damage (coughing blood, scarring) occurs after 90 seconds of exposure and thereafter survival rates plummet. If you want the grisly details, look here.

http://centaurisky.blogspot.com/2016/06/horrible-ways-to-die-in-space-1.html

ugh, white text on black. Impossible to read that, one sentence in and my I have wavy lines all over my vision. Why do people do that? Might as well stare at a lightbulb.

Yeah, you guys should read about NASA's experiment with putting monkeys (and I think, dogs as well) into the vacuum of space, to see how long something could survive without any permanent damage, I think it's a little under 5 minutes, iirc. 

Off topic, I apologise. No, it is not possible to survive 5 minutes without permanent damage. It is not possible to survive 5 minutes of vacuum, full stop. Brain damage in humans sets in within a minute or two without oxygen, and permanent lung damage (coughing blood, scarring) occurs after 90 seconds of exposure and thereafter survival rates plummet. If you want the grisly details, look here.

ugh, white text on black. Impossible to read that, one sentence in and my I have wavy lines all over my vision. Why do people do that? Might as well stare at a lightbulb.

Because black text on white is literally staring into a light bulb.  Namely all of the white.  This is especially true in a dark room.

This is a UX battle that's been waged since the dawn of computers.  You're not going to solve it on an X-wing forum.

Edited by Zefirus

I really laugh at the thought of using star wars EU and hard science fiction in the same sentence. ^_^

Though it makes me wonder, who was the hard science fiction writer who was stuck with writing an EU novel for the money? Because actually not a single hard science fiction writer comes to mind …

You ever heard of Timothy Zahn?

Or Curtiss Saxon?

Zahn and hard scifi?

Cobra series is another space opera, black collar seems not the be hard-scifi either, etc

And yeah, I never heard of Curtis Saxton outside of some technical manual merchandise. Did he wrote something real too?

Zahn wrote a few Hard Sci-Fi short stories.

Saxon wrote some background stuff for Inside the Worlds of Star Wars. And you want to say everything not a novel isn't something real? :huh:

Since November 8th election in the USA the serious problems created by the results for both America and the World and you guys are worried about this card?

:blink:

The Crane Card is fine.  World will not be.

Edited by Tokyogriz

Because black text on white is literally staring into a light bulb.  Namely all of the white.  This is especially true in a dark room.

This is a UX battle that's been waged since the dawn of computers.  You're not going to solve it on an X-wing forum.

Makes me almost miss those green crt monitors from when I was a kid. 

If anything, it just make's Sabine's TIE a lot more lulzworthy.

Sabine has managed to infiltrate Black Squadron and is flying the rear position. She suddenly Exposes (IT'S NOT LIKE THAT CHRIS HANSON I SWEAR) and manages to vaporize the lead fighter in the squadron thanks to Luke Skywalker being in the TIE with her. As the other BS pilots frantically look at their rear scanners to see why this tye dye TIE is shooting at them, they see a crane extend from the top of the fighter and pick a piece of wreckage from the debris of their former comrade. All these things overload their cognitive abilities and the memories of the past 15 seconds are repressed with extreme prejudice. They continue to fly as normal.

Sabine has managed to infiltrate Black Squadron and is flying the rear position...

:(

Once again, Sabine's Masterpiece would have made a WHOLE lot more sense as the Modification and Captured TIE the Title...

Why? they both cost 1 point and 1 slot, only the way it is you could take the title, get an illicit slot, fill it with a cloaking device, and use stygian particle accelerator as you mod. That's just a quick example off the top of my head. If the Mod gave you the illicit & crew, you'd loose an entire category of upgrade options to combine with the two you gained. Sure it could add another Modification slot, but that's a bit clunky, and there's no need for it.

Fluff, not gameplay.  The Sabine's TIE upgrade is the one that "modifies" your ship to allow you to take illicit upgrades and make room for crew (which is definitely a modification from a normal tie).

But game mechanic are far more important than fluff. That's not to say the fluff is unimportant, but without solid mechanics the game wouldn't have lasted so long. You would have people picking up the game, and either dropping shortly thereafter of relegating it to a side game they play on occasion. 

You'd have a Wizkids game.

You know which ship in the game was created with fluff over well thought out mechanics? The T-65 X-wing. It's a microcosm of every core offense, defense, support, and taunt, and regen mechanic that would be developed over the course of the game. Those pilot abilities are fun and super fluffy, they really feel like the characters they're meant to represent. Unfortunately the ship's poor design begs for a "fix" but too wide a spectrum of pilot abilities makes it incredibly challenging to buff it in any direction without threatening to break it (especially Biggs and Wedge). And how did the original developers attempt to fix it? By adding more fluffy design, rather than addressing the underlying issues, leaving the current Devs a giant mess to deal with.

Is it the Names of the cards that's got you vexed, or that the effect of the title modifies the ship ('cause I got bad news for you, Every title modifies it's ship.)?

Oh I agree that gameplay is more important than fluff.  I'm mostly just saying that's presumably why he thinks they should be swapped.  And one could argue that A-wing Test Pilot "modifies" the pilot, not the ship :D.  

Since November 8th election in the USA the serious problems created by the results for both America and the World and you guys are worried about this card?

It's a distraction from all that. I'm sure many of us are concerned with what's happening in the world right now, but we come here to take a break from it. 

Edited by Radarman5

It's a distraction from all that. I'm sure many of us are concerned with what's happening in the world right now, but we come here to take a break from it. 

I haven't watched the news for a year or so.  Did something happen?  Jeb Bush is president now or something, right?

I really laugh at the thought of using star wars EU and hard science fiction in the same sentence. ^_^

Though it makes me wonder, who was the hard science fiction writer who was stuck with writing an EU novel for the money? Because actually not a single hard science fiction writer comes to mind …

You ever heard of Timothy Zahn?

Or Curtiss Saxon?

Zahn and hard scifi?

Cobra series is another space opera, black collar seems not the be hard-scifi either, etc

And yeah, I never heard of Curtis Saxton outside of some technical manual merchandise. Did he wrote something real too?

Zahn wrote a few Hard Sci-Fi short stories.

Saxon wrote some background stuff for Inside the Worlds of Star Wars. And you want to say everything not a novel isn't something real? :huh:

No, it did not want to say everything not a novel is unreal. I wanted to suggest that being hard science fiction author means more than writing some short stories or promo material  for a space opera in a pseudo scientific way. Neither makes either of them a hard science fiction author, both works is focused onto something completely different. 

Makes me almost miss those green crt monitors from when I was a kid. 

Fair enough. Tried to switch to a white background with black text but Blogger just freaked out so I had to pull it down. I'll put it back up when I can claw back the text from the formatting disaster. Anyway, Scavenger Claws... Do They Make My Ship Look Pimpin'?

I have no problem with the crane.

I agree! If they invent torpedoes that launch Ewoks that reduce your Agi by 1 because you are distracted by cuteness overload, I am ok with it, regardless of how unrealistic it might seem. In my opinion it's a game set in the star wars universe, not a total factual representation of the Star Wars films.

I am sure I will attract haters with comments like these, but hopefully that leads to further discussion.

Edited by Archangelspiv

swx61-scavenger-crane.png

Yeah, I just thought about this and it I have two opinions that both point to the fact that this card is stupid and either needs assistance or it illuminates the end for our beloved game due to its designers hitting their wall.

Let me explain:

1) if this card were to have any possible mechanic that actually ties in with logic (albeit Star Wars fantasy logic) then this card would have to be paired with a crew slot that is a mechanic be it droid or personnel. Akin to Chewie fixing the falcon or repairing C3PO, he needed parts (the crain could facilitate that) but he also needed to assemble the thing. This is just one component. So I'm thinking you have to have it paired with a crew to make it work. This would also keep this amazing card something that couldn't be assigned to a Z-95 or a Karaxeeraxeerax as the only crew is the pilot and they cannot take the time, nor have the space in a cockpit to assemble a proton torpedo out of space debris and a box of parts they have in their ship. This process needs space to be done. Also, it should have a turn mechanic as in it takes at least two turns to assemble such a thing ; which is also magical and illogical outside of fantasy. So there it is: If the card is to not be stupid and stay in the game, it must be paired with a crew (not the pilot or gunner) and must take time (at least two turns).

2) The designers are out of ideas and fear slumping sales of this gold-mine they have in their hands. So, rather than tweak the existing components and add small logical add-ons that are ship specific (that make a ship unique, but not game altering) they have succumbed to adding magical cards to the game to try and sell new ships like a space tugboat, that flies pretty amazing for a chunk of engines (it should have all one turn maneuvers, no others, and all straights to a 5, without the K-turn, K-turn?? I mean the Lambda can't even turn around that tight even though it did in the movies).... and a barrel roll; don't get me started. If the designers have hit such a wall that this card was approved as a great idea, FFG should find new designers to add to the round-table schematic processes, or have them take some time off and sit on a beach in the Caribbean for a week or so. Calm down. We the addicts don't need new ships every three months, we will live; the world will not end. If they don't slow down and design well thought out mechanics and ships that fit into the game, not work outside it, X-Wing will very soon be done, and I would argue be better off without the last gasps of "I hope this will help us sell more product" ideas thrown at the wall.

OK, I can let this go. I need some tea.......it's far to early for a pint.

Edited by clanofwolves

swx61-scavenger-crane.png

Oh, and one last gasp at the illogical nature of this card, the range. It should have a range one restriction. Here's why, the **** crane has to get it, so it must be close, yes?? I've heard someone say, "but it has a tractor beam to get it" but this isn't a tractor beam fixer thingy, and besides, this tug thing has its special tractor-ing ability in range 1, not range 1-2.

There, I'm really done now. Promise.