Sign in to follow this  
Babaganoosh

Scavenger Crane not realistic - is that a problem for anyone else?

It's just Extra Munitions for Z95s and Kihraxz really. I could see it being used in Alpha strike lists, but I don't see that as becoming a meta thing anytime soon.

Don't think it will be useful on Dengar?

You'd loose Glitterstim. Why not just use EM? Do you want to equip 2 different Torps?

I haven't seen a huge need for Glitter on Dengar. I think the Crane is less for torpedoes and more for Countermeasues.

Right, I forgot it works on modifications too. Good call, that could be a real game changer.

For me, on the basis of "Realistic"..  For me, the Crane "replacing" ordnance is more along the lines of...

"I have a load of Torpedoes...  But seriously, they're like, 500 Credits a Pop...  I'm not going to waste all of my money firing them off multiple times unless I have some Choice Income...  I mean...  Seriously...  I have a Budget her-----  OOH, Shiny Engine Parts!"

DAT!

:D

It's just Extra Munitions for Z95s and Kihraxz really. I could see it being used in Alpha strike lists, but I don't see that as becoming a meta thing anytime soon.

You'd loose Glitterstim. Why not just use EM? Do you want to equip 2 different Torps?

Because EM does not allow you to grab your counter measures and use them again. 

Because EM does not allow you to grab your counter measures and use them again.

I can see this as being quite good, just due to ability to adapt to the game, you can either go with more missiles or more countermeasures, depending on what you need at a given time.

If anything, it just make's Sabine's TIE a lot more lulzworthy.

Sabine has managed to infiltrate Black Squadron and is flying the rear position. She suddenly Exposes (IT'S NOT LIKE THAT CHRIS HANSON I SWEAR) and manages to vaporize the lead fighter in the squadron thanks to Luke Skywalker being in the TIE with her. As the other BS pilots frantically look at their rear scanners to see why this tye dye TIE is shooting at them, they see a crane extend from the top of the fighter and pick a piece of wreckage from the debris of their former comrade. All these things overload their cognitive abilities and the memories of the past 15 seconds are repressed with extreme prejudice. They continue to fly as normal.

Sabine has managed to infiltrate Black Squadron and is flying the rear position...

Edited by flyboymb

Sabine has managed to infiltrate Black Squadron and is flying the rear position. She suddenly Exposes (IT'S NOT LIKE THAT CHRIS HANSON I SWEAR) and manages to vaporize the lead fighter in the squadron thanks to Luke Skywalker being in the TIE with her. As the other BS pilots frantically look at their rear scanners to see why this tye dye TIE is shooting at them, they see a crane extend from the top of the fighter and pick a piece of wreckage from the debris of their former comrade. All these things overload their cognitive abilities and the memories of the past 15 seconds are repressed with extreme prejudice. They continue to fly as normal.

Sabine has managed to infiltrate Black Squadron and is flying the rear position...

Men in Black meets Star Wars.

It's not like TIE Fighter pilots can see behind themselves (or hell, even that much in front of themselves), she clearly grabs the dead TIE's IFF beacon ;)

Edited by thespaceinvader

Tye Dye TIE is pure gold.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ooh look, I now have a name for my sci-fi-psychedelic-rock band!  :D

:(

Once again, Sabine's Masterpiece would have made a WHOLE lot more sense as the Modification and Captured TIE the Title...

Edited by ObiWonka

Once again, Sabine's Masterpiece would have made a WHOLE lot more sense as the Modification and Captured TIE the Title...

Why? they both cost 1 point and 1 slot, only the way it is you could take the title, get an illicit slot, fill it with a cloaking device, and use stygian particle accelerator as you mod. That's just a quick example off the top of my head. If the Mod gave you the illicit & crew, you'd loose an entire category of upgrade options to combine with the two you gained. Sure it could add another Modification slot, but that's a bit clunky, and there's no need for it.

Yes it irks me that it doesn't make a lick of sense!

They should have just stated if a ship within range is destroyed and has the same upgrade as you (miss, torp etc, you may take theirs if you spend yours).     Could make for some interesting builds and strategy this way

Edited by eagletsi111

Fitting a second person in an unpressurized TIE.......

Star Wars EU made some attempts at plausibility through some hard science fiction writers but THE mouse likes maREY sue's, princesses, poe's.....................................

You get it.  Yes, the mouse will crap over our childhood.... but it does breath life into things like this game... which if it were all FFG made up ships and not star wars ships, would be just as fun of a game but no where near as popular and would not allow me to re-live a little of my childhood.

Ya you are right before Disney star wars was not focused on heros or princes and was 100% realistic. (End sarcasm)

I really laugh at the thought of using star wars EU and hard science fiction in the same sentence. ^_^ 

Though it makes me wonder, who was the hard science fiction writer who was stuck with writing an EU novel for the money? Because actually not a single hard science fiction writer comes to mind …

Why? they both cost 1 point and 1 slot, only the way it is you could take the title, get an illicit slot, fill it with a cloaking device, and use stygian particle accelerator as you mod. That's just a quick example off the top of my head. If the Mod gave you the illicit & crew, you'd loose an entire category of upgrade options to combine with the two you gained. Sure it could add another Modification slot, but that's a bit clunky, and there's no need for it.

Fluff, not gameplay.  The Sabine's TIE upgrade is the one that "modifies" your ship to allow you to take illicit upgrades and make room for crew (which is definitely a modification from a normal tie).

Fluff, not gameplay.  The Sabine's TIE upgrade is the one that "modifies" your ship to allow you to take illicit upgrades and make room for crew (which is definitely a modification from a normal tie).

msty.gif

And also now we have this sh*tty interaction with The Claw the crane.

(Edit: Before anyone says anything, yes I understand that painting a TIE is "modifying" it, too, but not nearly so much as, you know, illicit upgrades and crew space.)

Edited by ObiWonka

The Quad Jumper was reminding me of something, but I just haven't been able to put my finger on it, until just now.

Best backwards driver in the universe, and a Scavenger Crane. Well shoot if it ain't none other than...mater-Pixar-Cars-Wallpaper.jpgTotally a Disney Cars/Star Wars crossover. A.k.a. Car Wars. :)

I really laugh at the thought of using star wars EU and hard science fiction in the same sentence. ^_^

Though it makes me wonder, who was the hard science fiction writer who was stuck with writing an EU novel for the money? Because actually not a single hard science fiction writer comes to mind …

You ever heard of Timothy Zahn?

Or Curtiss Saxon? 

But game mechanic are far more important than fluff. That's not to say the fluff is unimportant, but without solid mechanics the game wouldn't have lasted so long. You would have people picking up the game, and either dropping shortly thereafter of relegating it to a side game they play on occasion. 

You'd have a Wizkids game.

You know which ship in the game was created with fluff over well thought out mechanics? The T-65 X-wing. It's a microcosm of every core offense, defense, support, and taunt, and regen mechanic that would be developed over the course of the game. Those pilot abilities are fun and super fluffy, they really feel like the characters they're meant to represent. Unfortunately the ship's poor design begs for a "fix" but too wide a spectrum of pilot abilities makes it incredibly challenging to buff it in any direction without threatening to break it (especially Biggs and Wedge). And how did the original developers attempt to fix it? By adding more fluffy design, rather than addressing the underlying issues, leaving the current Devs a giant mess to deal with.

Is it the Names of the cards that's got you vexed, or that the effect of the title modifies the ship ('cause I got bad news for you, Every title modifies it's ship.)?

swx61-scavenger-crane.png

So, the scavenger crane mechanic is very interesting in gameplay terms, but the card hits my realism funnybone in a bad way.  Consider me triggered, if you will.

So, are we to accept that a ship flying around in the middle of a dogfight could identify, acquire, and replace its own hardware with debris from destroyed ships?  

I'm having a hard time buying this one.  For example, if I'm a Starviper carrying an advanced proton torpedo, and I've got a scavenger crane via the virago title (an unlikely but possible scenario), I can regenerate my APT from a TIE Fighter that ran into an asteroid and destroyed itself at range 1 of me.  How does that work, realistically?  I mean, there just isn't an APT in the TIE fighter's bits, and I don't know how the heck you fabricate, install, or even load a complex weapon system like that in the middle of a dogfight.

I know realism and star wars have a... fraught relationship, but this card really hits me below the belt, because I cannot imagine an in-universe scavenger crane working anywhere close to the way this card works in-game.  

It would be bad enough if you were salvaging upgrades off the destroyed ship; like for example if I had a QJ with the crane, and I killed a TIE/fo at range 1, and then stole a tech upgrade from it after blowing it up.  That's hard enough to imagine.  But taking those TIE/fo bits and turning them into a torpedo?  I just don't see it.

Anyone else feel the same way?  Don't care? Disagree (How dare you)?

edit- I should note that, about 95% of the time, FFG does a bang-up job of maintaining a healthy relationship to the 'realism'of the star wars universe.  There's tons of pilots and upgrade cards that match up to the fluff of the star wars universe quite nicely and are realistic for the star wars universe and the context of a hairy space dogfight.  But not this card!

Only as unrealistic as an X-Wing only being able to carry a single Proton Torpedo or lacking the universal ability to regenerate shields.

Or, in Epic, spending energy to repair destroyed systems, or the R5 being able to repair serious systems damage out of thin air (or vacuum LOL).

Edited by Lampyridae

You ever heard of Timothy Zahn?

Or Curtiss Saxon?

Zahn and hard scifi?

Cobra series is another space opera, black collar seems not the be hard-scifi either, etc

And yeah, I never heard of Curtis Saxton outside of some technical manual merchandise. Did he wrote something real too?

Yeah, you guys should read about NASA's experiment with putting monkeys (and I think, dogs as well) into the vacuum of space, to see how long something could survive without any permanent damage, I think it's a little under 5 minutes, iirc. 

Unusually for a soft scifi show, Farscape actually did this right IIRC.

Off topic, I apologise. No, it is not possible to survive 5 minutes without permanent damage. It is not possible to survive 5 minutes of vacuum, full stop. Brain damage in humans sets in within a minute or two without oxygen, and permanent lung damage (coughing blood, scarring) occurs after 90 seconds of exposure and thereafter survival rates plummet. If you want the grisly details, look here.

http://centaurisky.blogspot.com/2016/06/horrible-ways-to-die-in-space-1.html